Adding Dual Window Apps without ROOT

Search This thread

xperiacle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 12, 2012
Hello G3 users,

I am trying to figure out a way to add Dual Window or Multiwindow apps without root. It is possible on Samsung multiwindow so I got curious to know if it was also possible on LG G3 as well. So I decompiled a few stock LG apps and I discovered some metadata for multiwindow so I figured I make a test app with those metadata and test if it would work - that is if it would add itself to the dual window list on unrooted G3. I don't have a G3 and I would glad to make a guide on how to do it if the test app works. Below is a test app with the multiwindow metadata. I appreciate any feedback. THANKS.

Attachments

• LGSplitWindowTest.apk
    782.1 KB · Views: 16,981

luke k

Sep 21, 2012
Hello G3 users,

I am trying to figure out a way to add Dual Window or Multiwindow apps without root. It is possible on Samsung multiwindow so I got curious to know if it was also possible on LG G3 as well. So I decompiled a few stock LG apps and I discovered some metadata for multiwindow so I figured I make a test app with those metadata and test if it would work - that is if it would add itself to the dual window list on unrooted G3. I don't have a G3 and I would glad to make a guide on how to do it if the test app works. Below is a test app with the multiwindow metadata. I appreciate any feedback. THANKS.

I have Samsung but i tested your app on euro LG G3 (4.4.2 v10h-EUR-XX) in local store and it works perfectly :) App is added to dual window list.

Ps.
Thanks for all your work on Note, do you remember LS7 :) ? I still use my Note with your rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2320871 as backup phone :)

Last edited:
Reactions: xperiacle

cee_guttabx

Jul 23, 2013
lg g3 works app

Hello G3 users,

Hey it works on my lg g3 as well i need this apk man cause i really don't want to root my phone simple is the new smart for me can you make a way for us non root like the s4 multi window

EddyTeddy01

Jul 16, 2014
Hello G3 users,

It works perfectly for my unrooted AT&T LG G3. I realpy hope you pursue this, I would use it a lot

Habaneropapi

Sep 8, 2014
Confirm still works after update, really looking forward to this good job man

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

blvckrsx

Jan 20, 2011
anybody tried this with a verizon version of the lg g3?
if so how do we get to move the apps you wanna use

Anyone have any test results on this? I am curious if this is possible because I had a fantastic rooted/tweaked S3 and switched to a LG G3. I miss being able to add ANY app to multi-window!!!

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

I would love this for the T-Mobile LG G3. I would be willing to test your next build. I will most likely be rooted before the end of today.

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Anyone still working on this?

Not that keen on rooting my phone just yet, but would love to expand the multi window support...

Reactions: SpartanVissepo

Robbyzbot

Jun 25, 2014
So how do you use the app? What happenes after you click hello world? Also is this process reversible if for some reason I need to uninstall it?

Destielle

Nov 3, 2014
I can confirm this works on my unrooted T-Mobile LG G3. It would be nice to add this feature for the unrooted users :)

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Anyone working on this?

Btw there was a similar solution for samsung multi windows ( i.e expanding MW support , w/o root)

Just figured I'd mention it

marcmediterrani

Nov 18, 2014
launching apps

Hi! Thank you for the test app.
Maybe a way to continue this bypass is: instead of display a "Hello world" message, to launch desired app using URL schemes. Anybody knows how to modify the test app to do this? I think this could be the answer we are looking for!

stewartthompson2

Jun 13, 2011
Works for me!

Hello G3 users,

This worked perfectly for my unrooted LG G3 on At&T. I would also love to know how to add this functionality to other apps. Awesome that you figured it out!

jimlodon

Jan 27, 2015
hi

I have Samsung but i tested your app on euro LG G3 (4.4.2 v10h-EUR-XX) in local store and it works perfectly :) App is added to dual window list.

Ps.
Thanks for all your work on Note, do you remember LS7 :) ? I still use my Note with your rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2320871 as backup phone :)

check this please http://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveDOCInfo.dev### i dont know how but maybe someone here knows if its someone make a video on youtube after to help us thanks

Leon@xda

Mar 19, 2007
Bytom
Hi,

Tested on LG-D855. Stock, no root.
Build number
LRX21R.A1419207951

Software version
V20f-EUR-XX

And it works like a charm :D

kitesurfer5

Feb 4, 2012
Works perfectly on my unrooted LG G3 with 5.0 android version!! I wish every app will be supported in the future!!
Thanks a lot for the hardwork :good:

hihal1

Feb 22, 2015
Happy user

Looking forward to the guide!

Are you close to a finish?

Want to perform tests

Hello G3 users,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello G3 users,

Hey All,

So it looks like the OP did done good sleuthing and figured it out but I never saw what exactly he found and where. I have a hunch and I will be testing it out very soon. It seems all you need to do is edit the App Manifest. I'm not 100% sure how to do that within an app. If anyone can PM me with that info, I can probably have a tutorial up and running fairly soon on how to do this. Again, this is all conjecture, and I will be verifying what I THINK is needed in the next couple days and will check back (probably start a new thread, since I'm using the G4 for this).

Edit: so I just realized it's impossible to edit app manifest on an installed application. You would need to decompile, then edit, then recompile. So, of you have access to a computer, you can pull the apk in, unpackaged it, modify the App manifest, and then repackage the apk and then install it. I can write up a guide for that, if someone is interested.
    Hello G3 users,

Ps.
    Thank you for those who tested and gave feedback. I will make the GUIDE soon on how to do it is done for non-root users.
    Anyone still working on this?

Not that keen on rooting my phone just yet, but would love to expand the multi window support...