Need recovery image

Search This thread

twack

Mar 8, 2012
Granite Bay
I cannot get my recovery/restore image set to active. IS there somewhere where I can download a recovery image and load it on a USB stick. Can someone put one up for me?

128GB Surface Pro

Thanks in advance,
Twack

Last edited:

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
If the Pro is the same as RT then the recovery is tagged to the machine somehow so a recovery from another machine wouldnt work.

twack

Mar 8, 2012
Granite Bay
Sacramento does not have a Microsoft Store. But now I have the files off the partition.

I can see the partition there in Disk Managemement but that's it. Using diskpart I assigned it a drive and copied the 3 files contained in the single directory "RecoveryImage" off onto a USB stick. They are:
"CreatePartition-UEFI.cmd"
"install.wim"
ResetConfig.xml"

How do I get the surface to see the USB and use these files in a restore from USB?

Thank you in advance,
Twack

HoHoHoHo

Dec 8, 2010
You can create a Recovery USB by going to Control Panel, click the Recovery icon and there is an option to create an USB Recovery drive from the recovery partition. You will need at least 8GB on the USB drive. After the backup is completed, you have the option to delete the Recovery partition and reclaim the 8GB of free space to your drive C.

twack

Mar 8, 2012
Granite Bay
Wow I totally misunderstood - yep, if your surface is working just use it to make the recovery USB for you.

I've tried that. It does not work. It only puts a few utilities on the USB and no recovery image.

Can someone please post the file structure listing of what is on a Surface Pro 128GB USB recovery?

TIA

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@twack: Are you showing hidden and system files/folders? By default, Windows still hides those. That will make the recovery partition look pretty empty, but it's not.

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
Just for those that have hit this thread.

I've had a guy contact me who deleted his recovery partition, he used a eg-UK image on his Swedish RT and it works fine.

So far thats one person that said it did work and one that didnt so I'll recreate and upload my image again and fire out links as and when.

mace2442

Jun 27, 2013
It Works

I can confirm that it works to use another recovey image on the RT.

My USB ended up beeing blank after creating a recovery image (i failed to check that before installing 8.1 though).
Of course I ran into the no-wireless bug on 8.1 so I had to restore it.

I'm now running on EN-GB instead of US-EN (original version om my RT).
If anyone is willing to provide an US-EN image I would be very happy though (I'd like to get the RT back to the way it left the factory to 100%).

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
Did you set the device up as en-US when you did it or was it all en-GB when you had gone through the install, be interested to know what differences there are, I've put 8.1 on mine now, works a treat...