New Droid Maxx/Ultra

Search This thread

scoobaspeaz

Feb 24, 2012
Columbus, OH
Anyone looking into getting these devices?

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/23/droid-ultra-maxx-specs/

Sent from my XT926 using xda app-developers app

Even though I have always loved Motorola phones I have stayed away from them ever since they started locking the bootloaders. The only exception is the Razr HD MAXX that I own now but that was only because I was able to use Dan's unlock method to rid myself of the locked BL. I love this phone...my next phone would probably be the Motorola X if its unlocked and at 300 dollars off contract.

infinit22

Nov 17, 2012
Even though I have always loved Motorola phones I have stayed away from them ever since they started locking the bootloaders. The only exception is the Razr HD MAXX that I own now but that was only because I was able to use Dan's unlock method to rid myself of the locked BL. I love this phone...my next phone would probably be the Motorola X if its unlocked and at 300 dollars off contract.

I'm going with a Moto X too. Just curious

Sent from my XT926 using xda app-developers app

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
The hardware buttons don't bother me actually. With a 5" screen not being intruded by a nav bar, it will feel a lot bigger.

Very curious to test the performance of the new q8 processing. 8 cores dedicated to specific things. I'm sure it's fast.

Funny story I received an email from Verizon corporate regarding the new droid lineup and figured I'd call around to some stores. They were all confused thinking I was asking to test a Droid razr maxx, and that they had all been taken down last year upon release of the droid razr hd and maxx. I had to repeat my story five times until I blatantly said "sometimes you guys get new phones a few weeks before they are released, do you have a new droid ultra test unit available?!"

They all had no clue of what model I was even referring to. I'm sorry but if I worked at verizon I would know about what's coming out. It's not like I was asking about the iPhone 6 release date, sheesh

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

0815 1234

Oct 23, 2012
The Droid Maxx looks quite nice and would suffice for me.
As I live in Europe I hope it will get released here (hope it will be?!) quite soon.

The Maxx seems to fullfill all my needs:

• big battery
  • 5" 720p - I'm not so much into 1080p(performance & battery drain)
  • decent enough hardware
  • optimized for long battery life
  • camera will be okay enough for my needs
  • price below 300€

:good:

Finally I think I will get rid of my galaxy s plus :fingers-crossed:

mgerbasio

Jun 8, 2004
I'm skipping the Razr Ultra/Maxx lineup.
Not enough of an upgrade from the HD.
Marginal improvements and nothing great. At least not for my "full retail" dollar.

I'm looking at the HTC One or something else later.

Same here. I like the wireless charger, had it with a D3, and the extra battery life is always welcome, but for me there isn't enough reason to spend $700. If I were buying a new phone on contract, yea, I'd get it.

I'm waiting to see if this is the same as the X phone and if that turns out to be half the price as rumored. Motorola cutting an exclusive deal with Verizon seems to throw the whole "Don't be evil" thing out the window. My Xoom LTE still hasn't been updated and that's a Nexus device!

tech_head

Same here. I like the wireless charger, had it with a D3, and the extra battery life is always welcome, but for me there isn't enough reason to spend $700. If I were buying a new phone on contract, yea, I'd get it.

I'm waiting to see if this is the same as the X phone and if that turns out to be half the price as rumored. Motorola cutting an exclusive deal with Verizon seems to throw the whole "Don't be evil" thing out the window. My Xoom LTE still hasn't been updated and that's a Nexus device!

The problem, I see is that the X might not be coming to Verizon.
It may be on all *OTHER* carriers as not to compete on the same network. IIf the X is $300, I may for it. Then again if we get the HTC One on Verizon, I'll just keep checking Swappa and see what comes up.

Seems like to get the build quality I want, I have to give up on the SD slot.

gusbeto37

Oct 13, 2010
Monterrey
Initially I got excited about the DROID MAXX, but then some specs came out saying that none of the new DROIDs have microSD card slots. That is a big feature for me. I am a music-phile and I currently use up most of my 64GB SDcard on my RAZR HD.

Hopefully the Moto X does have an SD Card. otherwise I will think about eventually upgrading to something not Motorola.

M

mentose457

Initially I got excited about the DROID MAXX, but then some specs came out saying that none of the new DROIDs have microSD card slots. That is a big feature for me. I am a music-phile and I currently use up most of my 64GB SDcard on my RAZR HD.

Hopefully the Moto X does have an SD Card. otherwise I will think about eventually upgrading to something not Motorola.

I won't ever downgrade to a phone that doesn't have an SD card slot or softkeys. Unless that phone has 64+ gigs of internal memory.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
What do you have saved on your phone that can't be accessed from the cloud? Even downloading entire seasons of TV shows I'd have a hard time filling up my phone now with stock memory.

M

mentose457

What do you have saved on your phone that can't be accessed from the cloud? Even downloading entire seasons of TV shows I'd have a hard time filling up my phone now with stock memory.

It's not what but when those things can be accessed from the cloud that is the problem. The majority of my free time is spent in areas with little to no service. My work also puts me in areas with little to no service. Plus, If one does not have unlimited data then its not practical to stream music and videos when you are on the go.

animez

Mar 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Google Pixel 6
It's not what but when those things can be accessed from the cloud that is the problem. The majority of my free time is spent in areas with little to no service. My work also puts me in areas with little to no service. Plus, If one does not have unlimited data then its not practical to stream music and videos when you are on the go.

Even if we had a connection all the time and unlimited data, streaming (especially 4G) eats battery like crazy. There's the cost as well, you either have to buy the media from the cloud provider or pay for the space. For movies and music you already own a cheap SD card (and a slot to put it in) is a much better solution. HTC has abandoned the SD and Moto seems to be headed that way. Looks like my next phone might be a plastic a$$ Samsung.

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Tapatalk 2

orcsbane13

Apr 6, 2010
Even if we had a connection all the time and unlimited data, streaming (especially 4G) eats battery like crazy. There's the cost as well, you either have to buy the media from the cloud provider or pay for the space. For movies and music you already own a cheap SD card (and a slot to put it in) is a much better solution. HTC has abandoned the SD and Moto seems to be headed that way. Looks like my next phone might be a plastic a$$ Samsung.

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Tapatalk 2

If it's any consolation the galaxy s5 is rumored to not be made of plastic. :-/ I hate the way these companies are going. I love my SD card slot. I was sold on a droid maxx until they said no SD card slot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Plus, If one does not have unlimited data then its not practical to stream music and videos when you are on the go.

As an Atrix HD owner with the advertised "Unlimited" 2GB AT&T Data Plan....streaming isn't even an option. Tried that once, could only stream 4 hours of video before hitting an overage charge.

How the hell can they legally be allowed to say "Unlimited Data" in big words across the screen then put 2GB in the fine print??? I guess it sounds better than "Unlimited Access to our Networks with Fees incured after the 1st 2GB then a $10 raping every 1GB after that...."

//Yes, a full 4.7GB Linux Live DVD costs an AT&T user $20 with about 300mb left before another overage charge....

Jan 18, 2013
Unless many new phones come out with SD Card slots I'd imagine many are going to be sticking with their current phones for longer. And to be honest, there isn't much of a reason to upgrade anyway. On the bright side, HTC has the Butterfly S they just released.

2gb RAM,
5 inch 1080p screen,
1.9Ghz Snapdragon 600
Android 4.2.2
And.......SD Card Slot.

hollovoid

Feb 16, 2010
Rochester, NY
If I HAVE to replace my Maxx HD id get the maxx. Locked bootloader sucks, no SDcard sucks, but damnit, I can not go near a phone that has battery life of most of todays phones. After suffering through the Galaxy nexus's absolutely retarded battery its just not gonna happen. I used to keep 3 EXTENDED batteries with me on that thing, now I dont even have to worry about it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MAXX.

u4aqeryp.jpg

vu2ybeda.jpg

azyqa2aj.jpg

4G for 90% of the night, spent all night on YouTube/forums/chrome. Any time screen was off, I had music playing though headset off of device memory.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4
    I'm skipping the Razr Ultra/Maxx lineup.
    Not enough of an upgrade from the HD.
    Marginal improvements and nothing great. At least not for my "full retail" dollar.

I'm looking at the HTC One or something else later.
    Got the MAXX

I rooted all my previous phones - started with the OG Droid, but this phone I might just go without rooting - everything on it is stock android - Moto put 0 skin. As far as the bloat - when in the app drawer, press and hold on a bloat app icon - pretend to drop it onto the desktop but instead drop the icon all the way on top where it says "App Info" - Force Stop then Freeze! Done. Dont even have to go through all apps guessing which ones to freeze. I know it's not entirely the same as completely removing them form the System\App, but close enough for me! THE only need I still have for rooting is to install Cerberus as a system app but it is running as a regular app and hidden from the app drawer - this will suffice. Other than that - this phone can be gotten to pure Nexus experience pretty closely and very easily without rooting! I'm a happy camper, so far.

So, I think locked bootloader is a moot issue if not for all but might be for many.

I also dont get why some cry for soft-buttons - the capacitive dont take any real estate and besides re-mapping or adding more to the nav bar - I just dont see any need. The legacy menu function is re mappable on the MAXX in settings.

The only valid, at least in my book, complain about this phone is lack of the SD slot - but in all reality I think that option is a dying breed.

I'm coming from HTC DNA to MAXX and absolutely love the display.

This phone is a winner for me all around. Love it
    I can't speak for the Moto x, but I'll give you my story.

I picked up the droid Max the day after launch. After one day I thought I would take it back for the Moto X. after five days, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

It's simply the best phone I've ever owned, the battery life is incredible, the screen is absolutely amazing, all of the software features are nothing like I've ever used before. This is the first phone where I don't feel like I need to run a custom ROM. I would love to have root access but I will never run a custom ROM.

The number one best thing about this phone is the battery life. Running my golf gps app on any other phone will drain my battery to 20% but on this phone it's only down to 90%.

Everything else is the same as the Moto x.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2
    Hardware buttons? No thank you.