[GUIDE] CIFS Streaming fix/optimization

Search This thread

redrol

Dec 30, 2010
I use CIFS to stream video from my Windows server to my TF. Problem is that I never could get more than around 800-900KB/s even though my network is WIFI N and can push at least 2-3MB/s.

Here is a fix, using CifsManager, add under Options(eg. domain=android,ro)

directio

Now you can get around 2MB/s CIFS bandwidth. Just enough to stream high profile 720P h.264 vids and more. It really did make a huge difference on my TF. Hopefully it will help yours.

:)

Last edited:

bradputt

Jun 16, 2010
how do i add another to the options, i already got "iocharset=utf8" in my option field.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Just seperate the options with a comma....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

uncorq

Nov 16, 2010
FL
Just an offtopic Q: what media player are you guys using on the android side?

I can sucessfully play stuff via UPNP with no hassle, but it omits .srt files and many of my DVD rips are subtitled and UPNP players omit the subtitles files.

I'd like to try streaming via CIFS - with the help of cifsmanager I can browse the shared file directories fine, open docs on the CIFS-shared drives etc, but when it comes to streaming moboplayer and several other random players can't seem to "find" the media files when I browse, using the player interface.

I'm looking to try different players and wondered what you guys were using to sucessfully stream movies from shared drives, with.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

redrol

Dec 30, 2010
I use Diceplayer which can decode ac3 in software and h.264 in hardware as well as tons of other formats in hardware. Also use Vplayer since it can decode damn near everything. And I have Moboplayer for good measure. Diceplayer is amazing, only player that can can do 720P HD w/ac3.

deadman3000

May 27, 2006
I still haven't found a player that can handle 720p MKV with DTS. AC3? Sure. But not DTS. It takes too much power to decode it would seem.

phonoflux

May 30, 2010
Auckland
Confirmed. It is ****ing amazing. Well worth the coin. Regular updates, loving it.

This fix is going to make it so much better :) Cheers guy!

bradputt

Jun 16, 2010
i tried comma, semi colon

but i get "segmentation fault"

any ideas guys>???

edit: ok somehow i have to put directio first . working now.

how to check the transfer speed?

Last edited:

gns168

Aug 21, 2010
i tried comma, semi colon

but i get "segmentation fault"

any ideas guys>???

edit: ok somehow i have to put directio first . working now.

how to check the transfer speed?

Hi,

I am having the same issues, but not following "edit: ok somehow i have to put directio first . working now."

Would it be possible for you to cut and paste how you entered your multi options in cifsmanager.

Tia

JoeTF

Aug 20, 2011
Confirmed. It is ****ing amazing. Well worth the coin. Regular updates, loving it.

This fix is going to make it so much better :) Cheers guy!

We're clearly running different Transformers. DICE is only as fast as Tegra2 failware allows, and Tegra2 cannot process files with bitrate>2000, or crf<21. Which happens to be every single 720p mkv release ever made. (some, like bd based releases have bitrate of 9000).

sontin

Jan 17, 2011
We're clearly running different Transformers. DICE is only as fast as Tegra2 failware allows, and Tegra2 cannot process files with bitrate>2000, or crf<21. Which happens to be every single 720p mkv release ever made. (some, like bd based releases have bitrate of 9000).

Na, the problem is the decoding of the ac3 stream. Combine this with the cpu usage for the video decoding and 1000Mhz is not high enough for smooth playback.

I have no problem to play high Profile 720p videos with over 2000kbit and aac audio.

jodahall

May 11, 2005
Calgary
I don't want to hijack the thread, but i was wondering if the stock rom has the required cifs module needed for cifsmanager to run....

I'm asking because i have a rooted tf101 and when i try to run cifsmanager it says superuser permission denied....does that mean it's trying to get permission to something that isn't there aka the cifs module or is there something else wrong ??

I know i'm rooted because i just did the left speaker fix.

I've tried some other cifs connection programs too and i get the same error.

if it doesn't have what i need do i have to load a new rom that has the cifs module in it or can i just install the module

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
You probably need to read the logs; I know from exp that it works on Roach's Prime ROM's.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use CIFS to stream video from my Windows server to my TF. Problem is that I never could get more than around 800-900KB/s even though my network is WIFI N and can push at least 2-3MB/s.

Here is a fix, using CifsManager, add under Options(eg. domain=android,ro)

directio

Now you can get around 2MB/s CIFS bandwidth. Just enough to stream high profile 720P h.264 vids and more. It really did make a huge difference on my TF. Hopefully it will help yours.

:)