I am Running a 4.1 What do I need to do to update to 4.4

Search This thread

wwe9112

Mar 25, 2013
OK, so I have been rooted almost a year, and have flashed several roms. I am currently on 4.1 of I believe Hybrid's rom. I believe I have had a 4.3 at one time but my last flash, whenever I started trying to flash a 4.4 version I started running into problems along the way. Is there anything special I need to do to upgrade to 4.4? Like besides flashing the rom, is there anything else I need to flash? Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Brandon.

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
OK, so I have been rooted almost a year, and have flashed several roms. I am currently on 4.1 of I believe Hybrid's rom. I believe I have had a 4.3 at one time but my last flash, whenever I started trying to flash a 4.4 version I started running into problems along the way. Is there anything special I need to do to upgrade to 4.4? Like besides flashing the rom, is there anything else I need to flash? Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Brandon.

I have the same question here.... I just rooted my phone on 4.3 jelly bean stock but if one day a stock 4.4 is comming out do I need to unroot my phone to make the update ?

wwe9112

Mar 25, 2013
I have the same question here.... I just rooted my phone on 4.3 jelly bean stock but if one day a stock 4.4 is comming out do I need to unroot my phone to make the update ?

No one still has answered lol. I tried to flash a few different 4.3's and they kept failing. I'm using TWRP or whatever it's called 2.6.0.0 not sure what that's about. I had to flash an older rom I had on my computer to get it to allow my phone to work.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I prefer using CWM or Philz Touch which is based on CWM rather than TWRP. I tried TWRP with a few ROMs but they always failed to install. Once I switched to CWM, they installed without issue.You can flash the tar version of Philz using Odin.

http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2att

To run 4.4.2 ROMs, you should update to the latest 4.1.2 bootloader, load a custom recovery, boot into recovery, wipe cache, Dalvik, data, system, and flash the new ROM.

wwe9112

Mar 25, 2013
I prefer using CWM or Philz Touch which is based on CWM rather than TWRP. I tried TWRP with a few ROMs but they always failed to install. Once I switched to CWM, they installed without issue.You can flash the tar version of Philz using Odin.

To run 4.4.2 ROMs, you should update to the latest 4.1.2 bootloader, load a custom recovery, boot into recovery, wipe cache, Dalvik, data, system, and flash the new ROM.

I already updated my bootloader to the one that said "you cannot downgrade from this one or you will brick your device" I think that's the latest one I'm not sure lol.

By "Boot into recovery" are you meaning boot to the recovery screen? Sorry, I like to make sure of what I am doing so I don't brick anything lol. Although in a month I'm buying the Note 3 ;).

How do I go about switching back to CWM? Sorry to ask and sound dumb -- which I am not I have an associates of science in computer programming but just reciently switched to Mechatronic Engineering due to higher job growth in my area. I digress.

I could probably find dozens of articles on here how to go about it, but its generally quicker if someone just posts the link to the correct one to use for my device, every time I go searching these forms, I end up on every-which phone other than mine -- I do apologize.

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
You need the newest version of cwm to flash anything 4.4.

If you're rooted use goomanager from play store it will install cwm or look in the stickies there are files and instructions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal

If I have already TWRP installed can I install CWM over it ?

wwe9112

Mar 25, 2013
You need the newest version of cwm to flash anything 4.4.

If you're rooted use goomanager from play store it will install cwm or look in the stickies there are files and instructions.

Thats how I got TWRP I believe x). And ok thanks, I'll look around.

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
Thats how I got TWRP I believe x). And ok thanks, I'll look around.

Sorry I confused the cwm and twrp install process. Goo manager will download the newest twrp which is 2.6.3.1 I don't know if it will flash 4.4 roms or not... And yes you can flash cwm directly over twrp. You will want to use rom manager from play store to flash cwm. Sorry for the confusion...

Last edited:

wwe9112

Mar 25, 2013
Sorry I confused the cwm and twrp install process. Goo manager will download the newest twrp which is 2.6.3.1 I don't know if it will flash 4.4 roms or not... And yes you can flash cwm directly over twrp. You will want to use rom manager from play store to flash cwm. Sorry for the confusion...

IT WORKED! Thanks so much. I am using Liquid Kit-Kat lol. Thanks again!

talkingmonkeys

Inactive Recognized RC / RT
May 15, 2013

It does work. I have flashed every 4.4 rom there is with that version of TWRP. Which is way better than cwm for me. :silly:

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal

I have checked in the rom manager app it will install a version for galaxy s3 (metroPCS) d2mtr .... Is it going to work ??

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
I have checked in the rom manager app it will install a version for galaxy s3 (metroPCS) d2mtr .... Is it going to work ??

I just downloaded rom manager today and it installed cwm for I747 D2ATT. Perhaps you need a newer version of rom manager?

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
I just downloaded rom manager today and it installed cwm for I747 D2ATT. Perhaps you need a newer version of rom manager?

Rom manager by clockworkmod ?? Why the **** it says "sorry we do not have a version for i747m " I dont understand why haha

Last edited:

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012
Rom manager by clockworkmod ?? Why the **** it says "sorry we do not have a version for i747m " I dont understand why haha

I can not verify anything about the I747M, I have the AT&T I747. However I have heard it is safe for you guys to use the I747 D2ATT version of cwm. I am trying out the philz touch cwm that audit13 keeps suggesting, it is highly modifiable. Thus far I am happy.

Can anyone on the I747M verify it is safe to flash the D2ATT recovery? I do know for a fact you guys can use any of our roms.

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
I can not verify anything about the I747M, I have the AT&T I747. However I have heard it is safe for you guys to use the I747 D2ATT version of cwm. I am trying out the philz touch cwm that audit13 keeps suggesting, it is highly modifiable. Thus far I am happy.

Can anyone on the I747M verify it is safe to flash the D2ATT recovery? I do know for a fact you guys can use any of our roms.

yeahh maybe it will find it for your phone but not for mine .....

theramsey3

Jun 27, 2012

Go to the general section and read the stickies here is a quote from the recovery thread I have heavily clipped it you need to read the whole thing in its original form. From what I read it is safe for your phone to use the D2ATT recovery image, I however take no responsibility for any thing that happens successful or not if you you flash it you wear it...

So you've got your device rooted, and you want to install a custom recovery? Great! Don't just follow any guide you stumble across though, as some of the early recovery packages for the "AT&T" model were actually just copies of the custom Sprint recovery, and then you'll have all sorts of fun trying to install ROMs. ("Status 7" errors anyone? :p)

While this may seem difficult, it's really not. Grab a recovery image (these files end in ".img") such as ClockWork Mod (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) for your device. Most ROM developers say to use CWM, but they both work equally well.

In our case, we need an image for the Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T. Telus, Rogers, Bell, and SaskTel phones are (almost*) the exact same phone as AT&T, if you have one of these devices, you will be installing the AT&T recovery.

*NOTE: While we're on the topic, let's take a second to talk about what makes the Canadian I747M different from the AT&T I747.

The short version is... The modem. AT&T is using completely different and incompatible modem firmware in their phones when compared with the Canadian models. Rogers, Bell, Telus, and any other Canadian I747M are the same device (Samsung worked some strange voodoo and got all the Canadian carriers to agree on the same hardware!) which means that if Rogers releases a new modem firmware update, a SaskTel user could install it without issue. AT&T modem updates will not work on Canadian models, nor will Canadian updates work on AT&T phones! I've tried it. Trust me. You don't want to deal with the hassle of fixing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: carlosQC

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
Go to the general section and read the stickies here is a quote from the recovery thread I have heavily clipped it you need to read the whole thing in its original form. From what I read it is safe for your phone...

ok good thank you for your help !!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go to the general section and read the stickies here is a quote from the recovery thread I have heavily clipped it you need to read the whole thing in its original form. From what I read it is safe for your phone to use the D2ATT recovery image, I however take no responsibility for any thing that happens successful or not if you you flash it you wear it...

So you've got your device rooted, and you want to install a custom recovery? Great! Don't just follow any guide you stumble across though, as some of the early recovery packages for the "AT&T" model were actually just copies of the custom Sprint recovery, and then you'll have all sorts of fun trying to install ROMs. ("Status 7" errors anyone? :p)

While this may seem difficult, it's really not. Grab a recovery image (these files end in ".img") such as ClockWork Mod (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) for your device. Most ROM developers say to use CWM, but they both work equally well.

In our case, we need an image for the Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T. Telus, Rogers, Bell, and SaskTel phones are (almost*) the exact same phone as AT&T, if you have one of these devices, you will be installing the AT&T recovery.

*NOTE: While we're on the topic, let's take a second to talk about what makes the Canadian I747M different from the AT&T I747.

The short version is... The modem. AT&T is using completely different and incompatible modem firmware in their phones when compared with the Canadian models. Rogers, Bell, Telus, and any other Canadian I747M are the same device (Samsung worked some strange voodoo and got all the Canadian carriers to agree on the same hardware!) which means that if Rogers releases a new modem firmware update, a SaskTel user could install it without issue. AT&T modem updates will not work on Canadian models, nor will Canadian updates work on AT&T phones! I've tried it. Trust me. You don't want to deal with the hassle of fixing it.