How to update to JB and keep root (Locked Bootloader)

Search This thread

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I accidentally installed .30 again: I mixed up buttons when doing cold boot and I had .30 file on memory card because I did downgrade from JB to ICS earlier... So it was installed and I had fresh ICS again. Everything is OK now, I'm rooted and back on latest .20 update.

My question is that is it mandatory to do DLPKG file update for each version (.30 -> .16 -> .18) before updating to .20?
I skipped .18 and updated via OTA from .16 to .20. Seems to be working fine but wondering does it cause any issues.

I don't think, if the .20 OTA took the .16 which means the .20 would have all the fixes in the .18.

Reactions: suunnittelija

suunnittelija

Mar 13, 2011
Oulu
www.rasteri.net
If it did work (and your settings screen really shows 10.4.4.20), then you somehow installed both .18 and .20.
I don't think, if the .20 OTA took the .16 which means the .20 would have all the fixes in the .18.
Yes I'm sure that it was .16 before update, and I didn't use .18 DLPKG file after .16 update. Somehow I thought that OTA will update to .18, but it really shows 10.4.4.20 (has now also new OTA update screen and so). Maybe .20 contains also .18 fixes, at least I didn't notice .18 when I checked version after each boot.

I have noticed any issues, no force closes etc. so it's still working fine. I hope I don't have to go again back to the .30. It was so slow process to do all steps and restore my backups. I had to go back to the .30 couple times, because rooting wasn't successful on first time.

Last edited:

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Its been mentioned before but i'll mention it again.

You SHOULD do every update in order. 16, .18 THEN .20. Lets supposed theres a .22 update (for the sake of argument), if you went from 16 directly to .20 and try to do the next update if its trying to update something that was updated in .18 and you skipped .18 then the .22 update would fail. Does that make sense?

By skipping updates you are setting yourself up for problems in the long run, it only takes a few minutes longer, do the updates in order and save a potential headache later. Not saying 100% the next update will fail, im just saying your increasing the chances that something will not work properly in the future.

Reactions: suunnittelija

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Its been mentioned before but i'll mention it again.

You SHOULD do every update in order. 16, .18 THEN .20. Lets supposed theres a .22 update (for the sake of argument), if you went from 16 directly to .20 and try to do the next update if its trying to update something that was updated in .18 and you skipped .18 then the .22 update would fail. Does that make sense?

By skipping updates you are setting yourself up for problems in the long run, it only takes a few minutes longer, do the updates in order and save a potential headache later. Not saying 100% the next update will fail, im just saying your increasing the chances that something will not work properly in the future.

No, not true, if you purchase a brand new table and it's .16, you fire it up for the first time and you think that Asus expect a 50 years old woman to do the manual update??? If the new software is not included the previous version it will check your version and do the nessessary (this is OTA update I'm talking about). If you decided to do it manually make sure you do the FULL latest version for JB.(ex, if you are on 16 do the full .20, this is how software developement work, they take the original version then merge their new code to it and make another version).

Last edited:

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
No, not true, if you purchase a brand new table and it's .16, you fire it up for the first time and you think that Asus expect a 50 years old woman to do the manual update??? If the new software is not included the previous version it will check your version and do the nessessary (this is OTA update I'm talking about). If you decided to do it manually make sure you do the FULL latest version for JB.(ex, if you are on 16 do the full .20, this is how software developement work, they take the original version then merge their new code to it and make another version).

To clarify (i had to read it three times) basically your saying that the OTA updater can update from, say, .16 to .20 directly without you needing to update to each step inbetween. To that i say sometimes, but not always.

I agree this is how it SHOULD work however i have read on this and other transformer forums where people tried to manually update and skip versions and it caused problems.

That being said, it is also possible that if you were on, say, .26 and OTA discovers there is the .20 update it could say "Update to .20" and behind the scenes download and update all the updates from .30, .16, .18, and finally .20 without stopping to tell you.

Reguardless of weather or not you CAN do it without problems, AND considering the intended target audience, best practices are always update every update sequentially, 5 extra minutes here might save hours of headache later down the road.

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
To clarify (i had to read it three times) basically your saying that the OTA updater can update from, say, .16 to .20 directly without you needing to update to each step inbetween. To that i say sometimes, but not always.

The only way this could work is if there is a dlpkgfile that contains the diff between .16 and .20. Who knows, maybe Asus sends each tablet a dlpkgfile that upgrades exactly the version that's installed to the latest?

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
The only way this could work is if there is a dlpkgfile that contains the diff between .16 and .20. Who knows, maybe Asus sends each tablet a dlpkgfile that upgrades exactly the version that's installed to the latest?

It would be my guess that each dlpkg file is the same but the updater itself is what checks that the old files are there, updates them from the dlpkg, then checks to make sure they were updated. If it comes across a file its supposed to update with a different version it crashes (dead android). If from A to B a file is supposed to be updated, then from B to C that file isnt touched, then C to D that file is updated again but you went straight from B to D something critical could be missed. Basically thats my point. Doesnt mean it WILL screw up, just means it COULD screw up. For that extra few minutes of my life to make sure its all working properly im not gonna risk it.

That being said this is all from information i gleaned off the internet and we know that if its on the internet its 100% accurate. :p

_that

Oct 2, 2012
It would be my guess that each dlpkg file is the same

No need to guess, you can read the updater-script in the package - what you say is basically right, but the first line in the updater-script of the latest WW dplkgfile is:

assert(file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "asus/WW_epad/EeePad:4.1.1/JRO03C/WW_epad-10.4.4.18-20121012:user/release-keys" ||
file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "asus/WW_epad/EeePad:4.1.1/JRO03C/WW_epad-10.4.4.20-20121026:user/release-keys");

This means it will immediately stop if a different firmware version than .18 or .20 is installed, before even checking the SHA1 sums of the existing files, there is no way to skip a step and go "from B to D".

Reactions: pileot

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Well there ya go. Conclusive proof that you should do every update sequentially. Thanks!

From this point forward i wont likely be keeping this thread updated as much. Feel free to reference to it and i'll definately ad the dlpkg file links as they come but if things start dying send me a message because im not likely to see it here. Have fun and play safe!

Reactions: Thats OK

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Okay I finally made it to this thread after much searching and posting and being referred to other threads. My Asus came with Build Number: IML74k.US_epad-9.4.5.26 and since I have never owned a Asus before this I am not familiar with .16, .18, .20, or .30. Since .26 is lower than .30 do I need to install the .26 ww dlfile first and install it then d/l .30 and do the same before I d/l the Asus JB update. If so do I need to put the "Command" file every time. Sorry if this is all sounds like a noob but, I had to return one TF700 to Amazon because I bricked it (tried NVflash) and I do not want to do it again since I am now past the 30 day return period. I am a little familar with android and root and custome roms and custom recovery but the Asus process is all new to me. Thanks to all that can and will help.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Okay I finally made it to this thread after much searching and posting and being referred to other threads. My Asus came with Build Number: IML74k.US_epad-9.4.5.26 and since I have never owned a Asus before this I am not familiar with .16, .18, .20, or .30. Since .26 is lower than .30 do I need to install the .26 ww dlfile first and install it then d/l .30 and do the same before I d/l the Asus JB update. If so do I need to put the "Command" file every time. Sorry if this is all sounds like a noob but, I had to return one TF700 to Amazon because I bricked it (tried NVflash) and I do not want to do it again since I am now past the 30 day return period. I am a little familar with android and root and custome roms and custom recovery but the Asus process is all new to me. Thanks to all that can and will help.

Yes you do, once the update completed, it will delete your files (command and dlpkgfile).

Reactions: lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Yes you do, once the update completed, it will delete your files (command and dlpkgfile).

Ah SNAP:) So that I completely understand. Since I am already on .26 I only have to d/l .30 and the "command" file and install. I then d/l the .20 dlpkgfile and command file and do the same?
Do I have to do this using my pc or can I just d/l straight to the tablet and then move the files to their designated places and then do the install?

Edit: The OP does not provide a US dlpkg .30 and the link to US dlpkg .20 takes me to the d/l page but says the file is "private"?

OR, am I wasting my time with this if I have uninstalled some of the original bloatware? I think i read that is the case in some of the other post or am I miss reading them?

Last edited:

gordonbennet

Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for the helpful post. This is how I did it with a new 64gb tf700 with dock:

1. Originally on ICS
2. Rooted with debugfs
3. Restarted and updated Superuser
4. Downloaded SuperSU and made it default
5. Downloaded Rootkeeper OTA
6. Backed up root, deleted back up and then backed up again. Made sure everything was ticked.
7. Temp unrooted.through rootkeeper
8. Saw the Jb update, downloaded it.
9. Cold booted
10. Installed update
11. After update did factory reset x 3
12. After the third time set up the tablet through wizard
13. Downloaded OTA Rootkeeper
14. Restored root
15. Downloaded SuperSU to test. Worked perfectly.
16. Got System Tuner and froze CMclient and DMclient to stop Asus spying.

Happy rooting!

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for the helpful post. This is how I did it with a new 64gb tf700 with dock:

1. Originally on ICS
2. Rooted with debugfs
6. Backed up root, deleted back up and then backed up again. Made sure everything was ticked.
9. Cold booted
10. Installed update
14. Restored root

Happy rooting!

What do you mean that you saw the JB update after you temperarily unrooted, did it automatically appear in your notifications? You did not lose root after doing a factory reset 3x? I was under the impression that factory reset returned everything back to original settings?

gordonbennet

Nov 30, 2012
What do you mean that you saw the JB update after you temperarily unrooted, did it automatically appear in your notifications? You did not lose root after doing a factory reset 3x? I was under the impression that factory reset returned everything back to original settings?

Sorry. I meant I checked for updates after the root and then the JB update showed up.

That's what I thought as well but apparently the root backups are stored elsewhere and android just doesn't wipe those bits.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

If you use SuperSu, you will survive factory reset!

Reactions: gordonbennet

dknotty

May 29, 2011

1. Originally on ICS
2. Rooted with debugfs
9. Cold booted
10. Installed update
14. Restored root

Happy rooting!

Question: do you have an unlocked bootloader?

I have an unlocked bootloader so cannot get OTA updates and it I've tried several times and I cannot install the JB updated (from recovery) without losing root.

It is irksome!

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

If you use SuperSu, you will survive factory reset!

Does that mean uninstalling superuser and installing SuperSU?

_that

Oct 2, 2012
I have an unlocked bootloader so cannot get OTA updates and it I've tried several times and I cannot install the JB updated (from recovery) without losing root.

On an unlocked device, simply flash a superuser app from the custom recovery. No need to keep root, you can always regain it.

Reactions: dknotty

dknotty

May 29, 2011
On an unlocked device, simply flash a superuser app from the custom recovery. No need to keep root, you can always regain it.

I've just upgraded to JB for the nth time today, no root and cannot boot into recovery (I am getting the android on its back). WTF am I doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, From now on if i see people asking how to update / how to keep root im going to link you to this thread, im tired of answering it.

This works if you are on STOCK RECOVERY. If you are unlocked there are lots of other options for you (such as flashing a rooted kernel) so go to development and find that. Since im not unlocked i had to do it the hard way. This method works if your OTA updates are screwed up. If you HAVE OTA updates you can just use OTA rootkeeper to backup and disable root, make sure all stock apps are restored, and proceed with root.

Note for the updater: The OTA updater is a DIFFERENCE updater, if files are missing or different versions the update will fail. Best practices say to update sequentially, never skip an update. It might not cause problems now but could cause problems in the future.

If your OTA updates have failed or for whatever reason you can not get OTA's, you have a LOCKED bootloader, or for whatever reason want to manually update and keep root then this guide is for you. Also please note the process for going from .16 to .18 is the same as going from .30 to .16.

First: Make sure you have all stock apps restored, no custom build.prop, etc.
    If your not sure, wipe the tablet and reinstall. Better safe than sorry.

To reset the tablet if you dont have stock apps:
    Determine which version you are running. For me it was .30WW
    Go to www.asus.com and download the firmware for your version
    plug your tablet into the usb on your computer, unzip the firmware and put it in the root of your tablet (Dont use USB memory sticks or SD cards, just transfer it directly)
    restart your tablet, it SHOULD load the file and go about resetting the tablet to stock.
    If that does not work, try starting the tablet holding power and volume down, on the splash screen press volume up and reset the tablet that way.
    Once your tablet is returned to stock you can proceed.

Make sure you are ROOTED. Use whatever method works for you.
    Now would be a good time to make sure superuser is updated, mine was old so a quick update on the market and its all good.
    Use OTA Rootkeeper to backup root
    Download the DLPKG file apropriate for your version.

If you want to update to JB you must have .30 installed and download the .16 file, WW or US, depending on your region. Other packages are provided for convenience (This method can be used to spoof the OTA update to any version as long as you have the file)

DLPKG for .26 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .30 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .16 WW HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .16 US HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 WW HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 US HERE or HERE
    (Make sure you only take the file for the version you want to update to, only one step at a time, so if you are on .30 WW you need .16WW before you can do .18WW)
    DLPKG for US .20 HERE
    DLPKG for WW .20 HERE
    DLPKG for US .23 HERE or HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for WW .23 HERE
    DLPKG for .25 WW HERE

You will also need the command file HERE or HERE

Transfer the files to your tablet using the USB cable.
    If you use a USB memory stick or SD card make sure its formatted FAT32.
    Please note there have been reported problems with people using USB memory sticks or SD cards, often the files fail. I have had best success using the USB cable provided with my tablet and directly transferring the file. YMMV.
    Once the files are on the tablet use Root Explorer or your favorite root file browser to move the two files
    (NOT THE STOCK FILE BROWSER IT CANT SEE THE ROOT DIRECTORY)
    "command" goes to /cache/recovery
    "dlpkgfile" goes to /cache

Make sure the files are named exactly as shown above. No capitals, no file extensions, etc.
    Make sure the permissions for both files are changed to RW-R-R for both.
    Note: There has been a little confusion about "root directory" so i will explain a little further. The root directory is generally protected. You will have to be rooted (by definition, having root access, kind of like administrator access in windows) and use a file browser like root explorer. The stock file browser only lets you see a few specific areas and will not let you access the root directory of the tablet. Root explorer will also let you modify permissions which the stock browser will not let you do. Im sure there are other browser applications that work equally well as root explorer, thats just the one i have had success with. As always, Your Milage May Vary.

Go into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.
    Shut down the tablet. Remove the USB cord. Remove any USB memory sticks. Eject your Micro SD card. UNdock the tablet. Lets not let anything go to chance.
    Press and hold both the power and volume down buttons (volume down is closest to the power button in case you forgot like me)
    Soon as the splash screen comes up you should see some text on the left side, release the power and volume down buttons and press volume up.
    Now just sit back and wait, this can take a while. I got myself a snack and took this time to stretch a little.
    Once your all booted up you should be running JellyBean. Open OTA Rootkeeper and restore root.

Please note i did not come up with the steps in this guide. I did not originate the files. I am nowhere near smart enough to do all this on my own. I meerly collected the information and links to files and pieced it all together. I wrote this so even my father could follow these instructions so hopefully you all succeed! If something needs clarification please let me know.

- Edit -
    Added notes on restoring tablet to stock.
    - Edit -
    Added .18 links. Thanks to xcal321 for providing them.
    - Edit -
    Cleaned up the guide a little. Hopefully its less wordy and easier to follow.
    - Edit -
    Added links to my personal google drive for nearly all the files, should have no problem for overseas users with limited access to mediafire :)
    - Edit -
    Sorry it took so long, added files for .20 US and WW. Will copy them to my personal Gdrive when i have more time.
    - Edit -
    Still alive, added .25 WW. Nearly all the files are uploaded to my personal google docs account so if something goes screwy let me know via PM
    OK, got the file. Confirmed 9.4.5.30 --> 10.4.4.25 Direct update.

Note: This is for US Eepad only!!!!

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/zip/EjS5f1jE/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_.html

MF: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rtl34vg63e3sdee/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_4_25_dlpkg.zip
    How can I get the dlpkgfile Version 10.4.4.23 WW?

Isn't it possible to receive the files regular via OTA from Asus step by step?

Right here bro!
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ausece6a7246wci
    dlpkg batch file

did anyone else write a batchfile to semi-automate the dlpkg update?
    below are the commands i put in a batchfile. I created it initially because i had to downgrade to ICS to root then upgraded all the way. I was tired of typing in the commands.
    Note there are 2 batches, the SDcard location changed when it updates to JB.
    Hope it helps

------ ICS Commands:
    adb push command /sdcard/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /sdcard/command
    adb shell rm /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"

------- Jelly Bean Commands:
    adb push command /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"
    That is very helpfull !! Thanks for that !! Just one question: What about if I downgrade to .30 with clean system, root my device, update superuser app, then use OTA Rootkeeper to backup my root, next Temp unroot via OTA Rootkeeper and use upgrade to JB with OTA (not using files that you put above )?? It still works, any ideas ??

Regards
    Doncieslacco

If OTA works for you after that then use OTA. For a large portion of us OTA did not want to work so these are the steps i used. Essentially its the same thing, OTA downloads the same files and puts them in the directories mentioned. Just make sure you do the temp unroot before updating as forgetting to do that step has lost some people root.