FIX!! No APN specified on device (MMS not sending/receiving)

Search This thread

jdinardo22

Feb 16, 2012
Hey guys,

So I know I'm not alone on this issue, I've come across countless topics and I couldn't find a solid solution ANYWHERE and I tried EVERYTHING. I finally stumbled upon a solution that worked for me and it DIDN'T involve a clean wipe of my ROM.
(oh and a little background, I'm running a Droid 4 on Verizon with stargo's port of CM11 KitKat)

The topic is on the cyanogenmod website (can't post the link because of stupid forum rules), and I found the solution in the comments. Here is the comment by Matt Mower:

"Michael Gernoth, after changing apns-conf.xml, you might need to force a reload of apns-conf.xml. One way to achieve this is:

1) Enable airplane mode
2) Restart phone
3) Settings > Mobile networks should now show "Access point names" as a menu you can enter
4) In Access point names menu, choose "Reset to default" from the drop menu
5) Disable airplane mode"

So I did that, and wallah, I was able to send and receive MMS again and the error is gone!! I've seen soo many other people on here who have the same issue and have tried to reset to default and they mention that it wouldn't save, and I think the reason is it just needed that said manual reload of apns-config.xml.

Please note that I take NO CREDIT FOR THIS FIX, I just happened to find the post that contained the info that I believe many others have missed. Please share this info with anyone else having this issue as it could save them a ton of frustration as well.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

UPSGuy

Feb 4, 2007
I personally tried several solutions including replacing the apns-conf.xml file, manually entering all the APN info and others without any real permanent success.

There is a ridiculously simple fix to cure this issue once and for all.

Make sure your Droid 4 is rooted and open the Play Store. Install Root Tweaker by broodplank. Open the app and check the box next to Cyanogenmod APNS List. Click "Tweak now!" You'll get a message advising it has been applied. Close the app, reboot your device and you should be good to go.

Reactions: serverpro

PatC11

Dec 2, 2012
Ahem!

Hey guys,

So I know I'm not alone on this issue, I've come across countless topics and I couldn't find a solid solution ANYWHERE and I tried EVERYTHING. I finally stumbled upon a solution that worked for me and it DIDN'T involve a clean wipe of my ROM.
(oh and a little background, I'm running a Droid 4 on Verizon with stargo's port of CM11 KitKat)

The topic is on the cyanogenmod website (can't post the link because of stupid forum rules), and I found the solution in the comments. Here is the comment by Matt Mower:

"Michael Gernoth, after changing apns-conf.xml, you might need to force a reload of apns-conf.xml. One way to achieve this is:

1) Enable airplane mode
2) Restart phone
3) Settings > Mobile networks should now show "Access point names" as a menu you can enter

So I did that, and wallah, I was able to send and receive MMS again and the error is gone!! I've seen soo many other people on here who have the same issue and have tried to reset to default and they mention that it wouldn't save, and I think the reason is it just needed that said manual reload of apns-config.xml.

Please note that I take NO CREDIT FOR THIS FIX, I just happened to find the post that contained the info that I believe many others have missed. Please share this info with anyone else having this issue as it could save them a ton of frustration as well.

Thanks for reading!

I followed these instructions, and literally one second after turning airplane mode back off I got a "No APN specified on device message." So, at least on the OnePlus One this fix does not work. However, it is apparently possible to reset the APN to default without going into airplane mode or rebooting, although I don't know if that reloads the apns-config.xml file. Anyway, I just changed to a different APN, and so far that seems to have fixed the problem.

By the way, for all you language mavens, "wallah" is a horrible corruption of "voila," which is properly pronounced much the same way but adding the "v" sound at the start, phonetically sort of "vwallah". Cheers!

Ahsansario

Dec 12, 2015
Simply, set your APN settings as default from drop menu, shutdown your cell, Remove sim and now insert your sim turn on cell, your issue is fixed..........

ahozhi

Oct 11, 2016
Big hug jdinardo22- the issue was fixed by enabling airplan , reboot, disabling it

and my phone is 1+1
it took me much pain and time , till getting to this simple advice that made an end to the creeping situation.
the only benefit of this terrible journey, is that i got read of a lot of nonsense and suspicious apps.
tanks again to jdinardo!!!:angel:

Hey guys,

1) Enable airplane mode
2) Restart phone
:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

1) Enable airplane mode
    2) Restart phone

Thanks for reading!
    I personally tried several solutions including replacing the apns-conf.xml file, manually entering all the APN info and others without any real permanent success.

There is a ridiculously simple fix to cure this issue once and for all.

Make sure your Droid 4 is rooted and open the Play Store. Install Root Tweaker by broodplank. Open the app and check the box next to Cyanogenmod APNS List. Click "Tweak now!" You'll get a message advising it has been applied. Close the app, reboot your device and you should be good to go.