Frustrated with Swappa to buy my X

Search This thread

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
I'm trying to shop on Swappa for a Moto X and there is no way to discern carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked..

What do I need to know about this phone when purchasing used? I cannot live without root and found a thread about the Chinaman that's unlocking phones again but only for phones manufactured this year.

Anything else I should know about?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I'm trying to shop on Swappa for a Moto X and there is no way to discern carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked..

What do I need to know about this phone when purchasing used? I cannot live without root and found a thread about the Chinaman that's unlocking phones again but only for phones manufactured this year.

Anything else I should know about?

It sounds like you want a GSM Moto X, correct?

If so, just find the T-MOBILE variant. The T-Mobile Moto X is essentially the "GSM Dev Edition". It is SIM-Unlockable (or already sim-unlocked), and unlike the AT&T variant, it has unlockable bootloader.....FREE, straight from the Moto website. (No intervention from China required) The model is XT1053

So don't rely on the sellers description...just make sure you buy the T-Mobile variant. (XT1053)

I agree with you...swappa can be confusing on these terms. According to swappa, "unlocked" is supposed to refer to SIM unlocked, NOT BL unlocked. But many of the sellers don't read these rules and some even assume that if they have used some exploit to root the device that it is "unlocked"....which of course is totally incorrect.

You should be safe so long as it you buy XT1053. If you're unsure, request the seller to verify. Just because it is listed under XT1053 doesn't mean the seller couldn't have made a mistake. The model number is on the bottom rear of the phone in small print.

EDIT: The 1053 MAY not have the model number printed on the bottom rear....but the AT&T model DOES (avoid it at all costs - AT&T model comes sim locked AND bootloader locked). Better yet, ask the seller to send you a screenshot from Settings > About Phone. Under "System Version" it will list the carrier. The XT1053 should say:

"161.44.25.ghost_row.Retail.en.US"

It is the ONLY variant to say Retail.en.US - all the other variants have a carrier name in the "System Version"

Last edited:

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
Actually, I wanted the Verizon version.. Sorry that I forgot to add that in..

I could care less if it is carrier unlocked :) . I don't travel outside the usa for now.

Last edited:

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Actually, I wanted the Verizon version.. Sorry that I forgot to add that in..

I could care less if it is carrier unlocked :) . I don't travel outside the usa for now.

OK, then you have 2 choices.

1. Buy the Verizon Developer Edition. This is the only Verizon variant that can be Bootloader unlocked FREE via the moto website

2. All other VZW variants WILL come bootloader locked. If you can get the seller to confirm a 2014 build date, you may be able to get an unlock code from China, but there is no guarantee. He will also not tell you if he has the code unless you PAY for it....so there are absolutely no guarantees here.

Looking through the swappa website, I don't see any VZW developer editions for sale. This will be a tough one for you....unless you happen to come across one that explicitly says "unlocked bootloader", but this will mean that he HAD to have gotten code from China, and your warranty will be VOID.

I did find ONE VZW Dev edition on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Mo...1199176524?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item2c845be74c

There is a second one listed, but at $549 I doubt you're interested. You could buy Direct from Motorola for less.

Also, CONSIDER purchasing direct from Motorola. Think about it....if you buy the VZW Dev edition direct from Motorola, you will be able to unlock for FREE, without losing your warranty. Additionally, there is a $100 "Jellybean Rebate" for trading in a qualifying USED device. One of the qualifying trade-ins is the "Motorola Admiral" which you can get used off ebay for about $20 shipped. Buy one and send it in for the $100 rebate! I've done this 4 times now (max of 5 rebates allowed per individual - one per each Moto X you buy) and have received all of my rebates.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...Verizon/moto-x-developer-edition-verizon.html

Do the math:

$449.00 VZW Dev Edition direct from Motorola
+ 20.00 Motorola Admiral used from ebay
= $469.00
- $100.00 Moto Jellybean rebate
= $369.00

Assuming you get one of the cheapest VZW X's on swappa for about $250.00, you will still need to send $45 to China (with no guarantee of unlock, and definitely NO warranty) So you're just saving $80 over the brand new dev edition that you can DEFINITELY unlock, and that retains warranty even after unlock.

Good Luck with this.

Last edited:

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
Thank you for the heads up about the JB rebate

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
....Looking through the swappa website, I don't see any VZW developer editions for sale. This will be a tough one for you....unless you happen to come across one that explicitly says "unlocked bootloader", but this will mean that he HAD to have gotten code from China, and your warranty will be VOID..
One small note... Per the docs that came with my X, the warranty on the X is non-transferable, so buying used off swappa, ebay, etc also invalidates the warranty.

Otherwise, everything else you posted is an awesome reply.

Reactions: samwathegreat

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Thank you for the heads up about the JB rebate

If you buy it TODAY or TOMORROW you can get it $100 off! The Dev edition is 349.99 -before- the rebate.

This would be the ideal time to purchase your VZW Dev Edition! ;)

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...Verizon/moto-x-developer-edition-verizon.html

You may have already seen this, but I wanted to post it as a reply so you would get an email notification just in case you hadn't.

If you buy the $20 admiral for the JB rebate, you're looking at $269 after rebate.

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
Too late.. But thanks for all your effort

I am waiting for the Chinese. But, at least he's honest

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ....Looking through the swappa website, I don't see any VZW developer editions for sale. This will be a tough one for you....unless you happen to come across one that explicitly says "unlocked bootloader", but this will mean that he HAD to have gotten code from China, and your warranty will be VOID..
    One small note... Per the docs that came with my X, the warranty on the X is non-transferable, so buying used off swappa, ebay, etc also invalidates the warranty.

Otherwise, everything else you posted is an awesome reply.