[Off-topic] If you see a member of higher ranks, do you instantly have more respect?

If you see a member of higher ranks, do you instantly have more respect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

MBQ_

Sep 3, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
MBQonXDA.com
Hey guys.

I've been thinking about this, and it got me wondering..

If you see someone with a Recognized Contributor title, Recognized Developer title, or anything else higher than 'senior member' do you find yourself having more respect for those types of people versus a senior member telling you something? This applies to questions being answered, opinions, or any other given situation. If this thread gets 'popular' I'll throw up a poll.

Also, please do us all a favor and elaborate on the reason(s) why you said yes, no, or anything of the like.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Basically, if someone posts a question and it's answered properly I don't care if the answer came from a n00b or an RC. I'd be more inclined to accept an RC answer than a lesser rank if there was some doubt, though

Reactions: MBQ_

MBQ_

Sep 3, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
MBQonXDA.com
Basically, if someone posts a question and it's answered properly I don't care if the answer came from a n00b or an RC. I'd be more inclined to accept an RC answer than a lesser rank if there was some doubt, though

Okay, your last sentence was the initial I was looking for. You make an awesome point though man!

:good:

02ranger

Sep 16, 2010
Salisbury NC
Hey guys.

I've been thinking about this, and it got me wondering..

If you see someone with a Recognized Contributor title, Recognized Developer title, or anything else higher than 'senior member' do you find yourself having more respect for those types of people versus a senior member telling you something? This applies to questions being answered, opinions, or any other given situation. If this thread gets 'popular' I'll throw up a poll.

Also, please do us all a favor and elaborate on the reason(s) why you said yes, no, or anything of the like.

Thanks!

I find myself looking at that a lot, actually. Especially if there are conflicting answers from different ranks.

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla

Exactly what he said. *footnote being there are lots of senior members that if you look at their info have been members since 2007 but have very little posts and thanks. And their questions or answers very often reflect that. So I tend to look at that as well when trying to decide if I'm going to take their opinion seriously or as pertinent as someone else.

Transmitted with a portable device using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Reactions: neerajvd

neerajvd

Jan 8, 2013
Interesting question.. ;)
Usually respect comes out of combination of their rank, number of posts and thanks.
Also when you follow particular threads like a hawk, the members worth respecting are visible on every next page. :)

Sent from my Vanilla Rootbox Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011
I mostly always use xda app so ranks/posts/thanks aren't readily visible, but even when they are known I simply respect those that are respectful. On my last phones forum I lost quite a bit of respect for some of the devs actually just for their portrayed superior attitudes. If you don't like someone coming in and asking a repeat question (which I do understand can be frustrating) just ignore them, all the flaming just intensifies the problem.

I also agree about signatures asking for thanks, while I enjoy seeing my thanks meter go up it doesn't actually mean anything in the grand scheme of things. And while I'll still give a thanks if I appreciate the post, I'm less inclined too when the person asks for it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

W

WiredPirate

Hell no thanks don't matter. Anyone who's ever been to OT knows that the number of thanks a member has doesn't have anything to do with how knowledgeable they are.

As far as a contributor or dev, I don't judge somebody by the color of their name, I'm not a namecist.

Anyways the majority of posts and questions are more user related, so they do not require someone with vast knowledge of coding/themeing/etc. Anyone can answer a thread like HLP BATTRY FUUUU!, not just a "higher ranked user".

namtombout

Oct 27, 2012
South, TX
Having all of the requirements and becoming recognized should grant that user immediate respect. Devs too.

Users with hella post and thanks have probably seen a thing or two so they get respect but you gotta watch some of em lol

Reactions: MBQ_ and neerajvd

ben.nesheim

Nov 30, 2010
Duluth, MN
plus.google.com
i look at EVERYTHING. sig, info in the sig, posts, thanks(meaning what you were thanked for), join date and then i'll also look at past posts ... ESPECIALLY if the person is trolling. even if it wasnt intentional trolling.

there are some people tho that have 10k posts because all they post is "SEARCH" ten times or bump their friends threads all the time. and then thats why they have 100k thanks. that person i will flame til deaths end and its because they are the people that are detrimental to this community. I admit my stats arent the greatest here but mostly because i have been using forums for the past ten years and have decided I have better things in my life to pick on people that are on the internet. I am here to help people out.

thanks mbq likin this post

02ranger

Sep 16, 2010
Salisbury NC
It seems like the higher ranks get more respect

I don't necessarily automatically respect them, I just use the title and post count as a quick gauge of whether I should trust their opinion. That being said, I've seen a lot of people (like ben.nesheim said) that pad their post count with useless crap. There are a lot of people here that I know have high post counts that I don't trust on anything, and dread seeing their name in a thread. Then there are others that only have hundreds of posts (sometimes less) that are the most helpful and knowledgable people you'll find, they just don't post drivel. I think the title and post count are great quick indicators, but nothing more. Once you get into recognized developer or contributor territory, I give them a little more credit right off, but to me the respect still has to be earned.

And like EddyOS said, the signature tells you a LOT about a person. I make it a point not to hit the thanks button if your signature asks for it. We all know why its there, you don't need to remind me. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will say, I never look at the 'Thanks Meter'. If you need a signature with 'If I've helped, click thanks' then you're just out for the numbers...
    Respect given from thanks and post counts is hollow.
    One earns respect by being concise, honest, and humble. At least one does from me.

I'm interested in the information being accurate and complete.

To be honest, I rarely look at user names or anything else. I have the screen zoomed so they are cut off.

"Hit Thanks" is ignored.
    Interesting question.. ;)
    Usually respect comes out of combination of their rank, number of posts and thanks.
    Also when you follow particular threads like a hawk, the members worth respecting are visible on every next page. :)

Sent from my Vanilla Rootbox Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    I wouldn't "instantly" respect anyone. Respect isn't something that should be just given away, people who actually deserve it get it.
    Thanks for all of your responses guys! :)