AT&T Galaxy Mega Official KitKat Update

Search This thread

Unicorn69

Mar 25, 2014
I would do that no problem but are u sure the sim doesn't have to be activated?? sldo I cannot do an emergency recovery through Kies
because kies is asking me for a recovery code from a previous pc which I don't kno that. never even knew I had a code I was suppose to keep

if you get a Go phone sim then you could activate it if you had to :)

suhas2000

Sep 6, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Putting my 2 cents...

Guys,

I'm using StraightTalk (ATT) and did experience the same issue 2 days ago (failed installing like 3 time at 28% even after unrooting and everything). What worked for me, however, was that I reinstalled the same build (4.2.2) using kies on a desktop (laptop did not work for some reason). I,then, re downloaded and it worked! :laugh: So, what I'm saying is that I didn't have an ATT sim card, just needed to reinstall the older stock (4.2.2) and that seemed to do the trick. Hope it does for you, too...

kwed73

Feb 28, 2013
Guys,

I'm using StraightTalk (ATT) and did experience the same issue 2 days ago (failed installing like 3 time at 28% even after unrooting and everything). What worked for me, however, was that I reinstalled the same build (4.2.2) using kies on a desktop (laptop did not work for some reason). I,then, re downloaded and it worked! :laugh: So, what I'm saying is that I didn't have an ATT sim card, just needed to reinstall the older stock (4.2.2) and that seemed to do the trick. Hope it does for you, too...

That's what I did. I have never rooted, just unlocked to go to T-Mobile. I went through Kies and made sure I had the original firmware and still gave the error. My money says we need an AT&T Sim in there.

cammy357

Jun 14, 2014
Hey guys I used kingo to fully unroot my AT&T Galaxy Mega SGH-I527 then I did a backup with kies and used the firmware upgrade and initialization to restore stock. After that was done it reset my device then I went and tried the software update again and it worked flawlessly. I am now running 4.4.2 Baseband version I527UCUBNE7.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-14-09-20-47.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-14-09-20-47.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 157

BoiBundy

Jan 31, 2012
New York
Dont take the update!

Other than the obv reasons like; no deatails of what the update is, very few real changes, untrusted source and lack of experience.:confused:

There is potential of getting a custom recovery if you dont update. Plus lots more, patience is a virtue!!! ;)

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

This should not be in the development section. This is general.:eek:

KDKobes

Aug 12, 2007
Other than the obv reasons like; no deatails of what the update is, very few real changes, untrusted source and lack of experience.:confused:

There is potential of getting a custom recovery if you dont update. Plus lots more, patience is a virtue!!! ;)

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

This should not be in the development section. This is general.:eek:

No details of update: CHECK THE THREAD NAME - I527UCUBNE7 OTA UPDATE FILE IS WHAT IT IS :rolleyes:

Untrusted Source: FILE IS STRAIGHT FROM AT&T OTA UPDATE - DOWNLOADED THEN EXTRACTED THE FILE - MEANING NOTHING WAS CHANGED OR ADDED

Next time read the thread before trolling around.

KDKobes

Aug 12, 2007
has anyone successfully updated with an AT&T sim? It seems like that is the question.

Thats isnt the problem. The problem is the update scans your current file system and if you changed or removed ANY of the apps it will fail. If you go here you can get the ota update file that I extracted after download. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I would recommend running it in adb sideload via recovery. Once loaded it will run and if there is an error it will shoot it out. Most likely most of you edited, removed bloatware, and or froze some apps via titanium backup. For instance my install failed just because I removed chaton and wasnt recognized in my app drawer. I dont think root has anything to do with it as it will just remove your root.

Last edited:

kwed73

Feb 28, 2013
Thats isnt the problem. The problem is the update scans your current file system and if you changed or removed ANY of the apps it will fail. If you go here you can get the ota update file that I extracted after download. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I would recommend running it in adb sideload via recovery. Once loaded it will run and if there is an error it will shoot it out. Most likely most of you edited, removed bloatware, and or froze some apps via titanium backup. For instance my install failed just because I removed chaton and wasnt recognized in my app drawer. I dont think root has anything to do with it as it will just remove your root.

yeah I didnt do any of that. I literally did the firmware initialization and put back on the 4.2.2 original. When it was done I made sure the sim was pulled and went to update. Tried 5 times and got the same message every time. The sim is the only thing I can think of.

KDKobes

Aug 12, 2007
yeah I didnt do any of that. I literally did the firmware initialization and put back on the 4.2.2 original. When it was done I made sure the sim was pulled and went to update. Tried 5 times and got the same message every time. The sim is the only thing I can think of.

When the install fails about what percentage does it stop at because that will determine where it failed?

*If its failing most likely running the update in adb sideload would show you where and would give you a good idea what the issue is. Also dont recommend using kies to do clean install instead grab the tar file and use odin which is located in either the development section or in my signature link to my repository.

Last edited:

kwed73

Feb 28, 2013
When the install fails about what percentage does it stop at because that will determine where it failed?

*If its failing most likely running the update in adb sideload would show you where and would give you a good idea what the issue is. Also dont recommend using kies to do clean install instead grab the tar file and use odin which is located in either the development section or in my signature link to my repository.

It doesn't fail because it never gets the update. It always says interrupted.

By the way, I miswrote early. Has anyone updated without an AT&T Sim?

micxploed

Sep 13, 2010
So I finaly successfully updated to kitkat. Had to initialize firmware through kies. Then pop in an active at&t sim because it will not allow you to download the update without it. If you get an installation failed error after downloading that means you have to initialize firmware via kies first. This resets your phone to absolute stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cammy357

Jun 14, 2014

hey which file is this 2400258.cfg

delock

Sep 19, 2009
Hey guys I used kingo to fully unroot my AT&T Galaxy Mega SGH-I527 then I did a backup with kies and used the firmware upgrade and initialization to restore stock. After that was done it reset my device then I went and tried the software update again and it worked flawlessly. I am now running 4.4.2 Baseband version I527UCUBNE7.

Did everything you said except I am getting a bootloop...Shows SAmsung galaxy mega then turns off and repeats

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

aint this some monkey crap...

I try to go into the recovery and get a "system spftware not authorized by AT&T has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest AT&T store for help"

KDKobes

Aug 12, 2007

You should have just read my post then and go to the ota download link and install it that way. LINK TO THAT POST HERE

And to be clear the download never actually downloads? OR you mean it downloads, but stops so far during install, restarts, then tells you it was interrupted? Need to know which it is. My apologies ahead if you have previously stated.

Its the actual at&t 4.4 kitkat OTA update extracted from my Mega after download. Just make sure you read the thread and understand it will lock you down harder because of knox kernel etc.

Did everything you said except I am getting a bootloop...Shows SAmsung galaxy mega then turns off and repeats

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

I try to go into the recovery and get a "system spftware not authorized by AT&T has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest AT&T store for help"

Could've saved going to the store and instead flashed official stock mr2 tar.md5 in odin and fixed it that way. File is in my signature under mega repository.. Thats why I dont like using kies for stuff like that. It works for some but not all and has a tendency to do just that.

If you want the new update best way since you already have a clean device I would do just that, flash the mr2.tar.md5 in odin with auto reboot unchecked. Once finished load the device into recovery and grab the ota update from my thread and install it via sideload.

Last edited:
Reactions: delock

kwed73

Feb 28, 2013
You should have just read my post then and go to the ota download link and install it that way. LINK TO THAT POST HERE

And to be clear the download never actually downloads? OR you mean it downloads, but stops so far during install, restarts, then tells you it was interrupted? Need to know which it is. My apologies ahead if you have previously stated.

Its the actual at&t 4.4 kitkat OTA update extracted from my Mega after download. Just make sure you read the thread and understand it will lock you down harder because of knox kernel etc.

Could've saved going to the store and instead flashed official stock mr2 tar.md5 in odin and fixed it that way. File is in my signature under mega repository.. Thats why I dont like using kies for stuff like that. It works for some but not all and has a tendency to do just that.

If you want the new update best way since you already have a clean device I would do just that, flash the mr2.tar.md5 in odin with auto reboot unchecked. Once finished load the device into recovery and grab the ota update from my thread and install it via sideload.

Thanks for the help. I am a little cautious to sideload the update with Odin. I have flashed Roms before but a little nervous messing with my mega, especially with the guy above stuck in a boot loop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone received this ota update or even Kies? Kies doesn't have it and ota manual check is a no go. I guess I might unroot if it becomes available soon altho I will lose the "unlockedness" and I won't be able to use metro pcs on it. I think the mega is ready for a smoother and more efficient OS. Can't wait to see how it runs on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I got the DL OTA- takes about an hr. to download and must be over wifi. Over 500 mb. If you are rooted, it will not install. I unrooted with OTA rootkeeper Voodoo and it failed at 25%. Then I left it rooted. It failed at 28%. The 3rd time I unrooted with supersu. Crossed my fingers, let voodoo keep my root backup, and it did install.

Voodoo won't work on anything over 4.3, so it won't restore my root. Kingo won't work either. So you will lose root till someone figures out how to root without a flashable zip.
    Added link to download adb package

ok how to do all of that lol

STEP 1
    If you don't have it you need to download Odin software to run on your computer. LINK TO DOWNLOAD ODIN HERE

STEP 2
    Next you need to download the mr2.tar.md5 file. LINK TO DOWNLOAD STOCK MR2 FILE HERE

STEP 3
    Once your done downloading the above files unzip the odin3.09.zip, open the folder and run Odin3 v3.09.3.exe file, and when prompted to run program select yes.

FROM HERE THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS
    A - YOU JUST INSALL THE MR2 ROM WHICH IS WHAT YOU HAD BEFORE

OR

B - YOU INSTALL THE KITKAT UPDATE AS WELL WHICH YOU WILL NEED ADB FOR IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALREADY - DOWNLOAD ADB ONLY WINDOWS

DOWNLOAD KITKAT OTA CFG FILE HERE

OPTION "A" INSTALL JUST MR2 ROM INSTRUCTIONS

Odin should be opened up on your computer now you need to boot your device in ODIN MODE. Hold down the VOLUME DOWN, MENU BUTTON, & POWER BUTTON. Once the device starts release the buttons as you should be at a screen that says Warning!! and explains about custom OS. Push VOLUME UP to continue into ODIN MODE. Here it should say Downloading... Do not turn off target !!. Plug your device into your computer with factory cable and most likely your computer will have to download drivers to continue so allow it to do that and when its done your device should be recognized in odin under ID:COM. Go to the AP box and locate the mr2.tar.md5 file you downloaded. Odin will run for a moment checking things and the box will be shaded until it finishes. Once it is done click start and let odin install the software. Once odin is done your device will restart and you can uplug it. YOUR DONE!

OPTION "B" UPDATE TO KITKAT INSTRUCTIONS (THIS IS BASED ON ASSUMPTION YOU HAVE ADB INSTALLED)

STEP 1
    Odin should be opened up on your computer now you need to boot your device in ODIN MODE. Hold down the VOLUME DOWN, MENU BUTTON, & POWER BUTTON. Once the device starts release the buttons as you should be at a screen that says Warning!! and explains about custom OS. Push VOLUME UP to continue into ODIN MODE. Here it should say Downloading... Do not turn off target !!. Plug your device into your computer with factory cable and most likely your computer will have to download drivers to continue so allow it to do that and when its done your device should be recognized in odin under ID:COM. UN-CHECK the Auto-Reboot box then go to the AP box and locate the mr2.tar.md5 file you downloaded. Odin will run for a moment checking things and the box will be shaded until it finishes. Once it is done click start and let odin install the software. Once odin is done your device will just sit there like it is still loading but that is only because I had you un-check the auto-reboot.

STEP 2
    UNPLUG your device and HOLD VOLUME UP, MENU BUTTON, & POWER BUTTON. It may take a few seconds but once it restarts you will be booting into recovery (the device should say RECOVERY BOOTING...... in upper left corner) technically, but what should happen is your phone will go to a screen that says Installing Update or something similar then say Erasing and will reboot again (If not just continue to STEP 3). If it does show this screen RIGHT as it reboots push and hold VOLUME UP, MENU BUTTON which will get the phone to reboot into recovery screen. If you miss it just wait for device to turn on then boot in recovery with above method.

STEP 3
    Now you should be in RECOVERY. Here the POWER button SELECTS and the two VOLUME buttons move UP & DOWN. Plug your device into your computer then Push VOLUME DOWN once then push POWER button to select "apply update from ADB" on your phone (drivers might need to install, wait for this and then continue). The phone screen should go to another about loading up sideload and how. Now if you have adb installed you need to open a command prompt window from "platform-tools" folder.

From here I will give examples (adjust according where your file is stored)

As example say I saved my file in my documents folder this would be the command to sideload the update

adb sideload c:/users/owner/my documents/ATT OTA 4.4 UPDATE.cfg - - File can be renamed.(I recently changed the name from 2400258.cfg to avoid confusion)

If you have any questions lots of people are available to help here thats why XDA is the best place to go for help. Just keep in mind we are not available at all time so just be patient for a reply. ;)

I was halfway through this post when I seen yours, but I posted it anyway for anyone who might have same issue. GOOD LUCK!

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

it isn't possible to load the update with Odin, is it?

Nope
    Actually...

You have to have an att sim in or you will get an error message- something like update check interrupted. Found this out cause I would have a ptel sim in it and the software check for update would fail with that message. At least that's how OTA works.

You don't have to have an AT&T sim in to get the update. Best bet, unroot with SuperSU and remove both the SIM and the SD card, power on and try the update.

My S4 Active upgraded to KitKat last week with a Net10 SIM in it, no problem.
    You don't have to have an AT&T sim in to get the update. Best bet, unroot with SuperSU and remove both the SIM and the SD card, power on and try the update.

My S4 Active upgraded to KitKat last week with a Net10 SIM in it, no problem.

That may have worked with your s4. This is a Mega. When I had my ptel sim in it I would get update check interupted. When I put in my att sim, The check would go though all the way. Then say I was on the latest available.

Is Net 10 an att mvno?? I know ptel is a t-mo mvno.

To save myself time, I just put in my att sim to grab the 4.4.2 update. You have to have a wifi connection or it won't DL. You can't be rooted or it won't install. I'm talking strictly OTA.

When I plugged into my Kies, it wanted to update to a newer kies version. That installed, then said it is not compatible with my Mega!! Offered to install Kies3. So I did. That works with the Mega. I don't know if it will work with my Note 8 tab.