How to: Wireless (&USB) Tethering on LG Quantum

Search This thread

64GUNSHIP

Jul 8, 2011
If you’re an owner of the LG Quantum/c900, you may have noticed that your carrier hasn’t enabled Internet Sharing on the device. This is a universal problem for all carriers with the exception of Telstra (Australia).

Internet sharing is a feature that Microsoft made available in Mango, to carriers but not consumers. The drivers are available to manufacturers, who can choose whether or not to include them in their Mango drivers and can also be removed by carriers before pushing them out to the public.
Now let’s go back to that bit about Telstra… It is true that this carrier selected to include the tethering drivers in their mango driver package. There was much speculation about changing registry values to get the update on a different carrier, but this would not work because of the model variations - the Telstra Quantum is labelled c900k, with the Bell variation being c900b, while AT&T and other international models are simply c900). There are actually no hardware differences between the two, so I’m unsure why they’re labelled differently.

Now, in order to get tethering on any Quantum, we need to flash the Telstra ROM. If you’re uncomfortable with flashing ROM’s, or have never done it before (it’s easy, trust me!), you may want to stop here, although I have included easy instructions for newbies. Please note that flashing a ROM will delete/erase all content on your phone. You can reinstall apps more easily by viewing your purchase history in the Zune software! Alternatively, you can read how to enable wired tethering (which doesn’t require flashing) at the bottom of this post.

**Note that this will break MMS! The only solution (at this time) is to carrier unlock your phone and run the LG Network Setup tool, available from the marketplace!**

First of all, you’ll need to download the package (which weighs in at 372 MB) after the break, which has:
  • A modified DLL that allows cross-model flashing.
  • The LG flashing/engineering tool.
  • The LG United Mobile driver.
  • The Telstra Mango ROM

Download this file (Deposit Files) and extract the contents to wherever you want.

1. Start your phone in “Emergency Download” mode; you can do this by holding the camera and volume down button while pressing the power button. A screen with an exclamation mark should appear, with the text “EmergencyDownload”.
  2. On your PC, open the “LGDP2 V36 Flashing Tool” folder, followed by the “Setup” subfolder.
  3. Launch the included executable and proceed through the installation process. When asked for the serial key, copy and paste it from “Serial Number.txt”. Finish the setup. You may get an error related to mqmailoa.dll, disregard it.
  4. Copy the “DOWNLOAD” folder from the flashing tool folder and paste it in C:\, overwriting any file conflicts.
  5. Install the LG Modem Driver found in “LG Modem Driver (MA 4.9.7) in your extracted directory.
  6. Connect your phone to the computer via USB and allow the drivers to install.
  7. Disconnect your phone now.
  8. Navigate to C:\DOWNLOAD and launch “LGDP2_V36_UMTS.exe”
  9. The tool will launch with a pop-up asking for Model Division, select “UMTS” and press OK.
  10. You will be presented with another pop-up, asking for Port Selection. In “Easy Select” on the left hand side, select “All”.
  11. Under “DLL Selection”, point the program to the DLL located in the directory you originally extracted everything to, under subfolder “DLL”
  12. Under “Download Configuration”, point the program to the Telstra Mango ROM, which is also in the extracted directory, under ROM. Press OK. Ignore warnings about being “Unable to Find Monitor Port”.
  13. Press “START” in the upper right hand corner. DO NOT CONNECT YOUR PHONE YET!
  14. NOW reconnect your phone. The process will begin, allowing you to view detailed information related to the progress in whatever COM port window the phone is connected to. Be patient as the process may take some time. DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE!
  15. When the progress reaches 100%, you may disconnect. Now quickly run through the setup of your phone. At this point in time, you can close the LG Flashing Tool.
  16. You’ve now officially flashed the ROM.
  17. There are still a few steps to get tethering! Currently, you are running Mango only. The latest LG/Telstra drivers haven’t been installed yet.
  18. Navigate to settings on your phone and verify “Date and Time” are set to the correct values, and set “Region and Language Options” to the appropriate values for where you reside and tap “Accept Changes and Restart Phone” at the top.
  19. Reconnect your phone to your computer and launch Zune. If required, go through a quick name setup and then allow the phone to check for updates. The update “LG Update for Windows Phone” will be installed. After this, restart your device and voila! You can now enable Internet Sharing from the Settings menu! Telstra has also released the 8107 update, so you don't have to use the CAB sender method to get the keyboard fix.

If you want to remove the Telstra boot screen (or even replace it with your own), you can root unlock your device using WP7 Root Tools 0.9 (requires interop unlock first: see here (follow the LG method, obviously) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963, and then use this tool http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/app_wph_tweaks-04-09-12

If you’re uncomfortable with ROM flashing, or don’t want to have to re-sync your content/apps, there is a less efficient but easier to apply method of tethering via USB. This hack is applied via the LG MFG app on the phone, but requires a reboot every time you apply it.

To do this, follow these instructions:
  1. Install the LG Pilot Modem Driver from here! (Deposit Files).
  2. Open the dialpad on your phone and dial “##634#”. The MFG app will install and open.
  3. You’ll be presented with a password field. The password is “appmfg#*#”.
  4. Open the “Engineer Menu” and then “Port Setting” followed by “USB Switching”.
  5. Take note that the default value here is MS COMPOSITE” - if you don’t change this back later, you’ll be unable to sync your phone via USB with Zune.
  6. Select “QC COMPOSITE” and press OK to reboot.
  7. Connect your phone to your PC, the drivers will be automatically installed.
  8. Open Device Manager, and find “LGE CDMA USB Modem” and open the Properties dialog. Under the advanced tab, add the additional string “AT+CGDCONT=1 “IP” “your carriers APN” (isp.cingular for AT&T, “pda.bell.ca” for Bell Canada, etc). Apply the setting.
  9. Create a new connection, by opening start and typing “dial-up”, click “Setup a Dial-up Connection”
  10. Select the “LGE USB Modem” as the source, and set the phone number as either *99***1# (America/International[?]) or *99# (Canada).
  11. Turn off the Data connection on your phone prior to dialing!
  12. Connect! There’s no username/password.
  13. The next time you want to sync via USB, you need to change back to MS COMPOSITE in MFG.

Last edited:

j_sous

Sep 1, 2007
oustanding post. thank you for all of this very useful information summarized in one place! We Quantum users seem to be very neglected unfortunately.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

a few questions for you...

Are there any negative consequences for at&t (US) subscriber to flashing this ROM?

I assume I will need to flash back to at&t ROM before the next update is pushed out?

Also, does the Marketplace recognize region and only offer certain apps, etc.?

Are there any performance differences?

Any other consequences?

Last edited:

n00b3r

Feb 2, 2008
Thank you for posting! I've been looking for wifi tethering on a C900B on Bell for awhile.

64GUNSHIP

Jul 8, 2011
There should be no noticeable differences, if you use MMS, take a look at one of the other threads in the Quantum forum, it will explain how to get it working again. Also, if you chose not to rollback, you will stay on the Telstra update channel (which isn't a good one as they haven't released 7740 or 8107 yet) and will continue to receive updates from them as they are pushed. If you'd like, I can post a tutorial later for updating to 7740/8107 to fox the keyboard issue. In reality, unless your carrier is to release tethering drivers, there's no real reason to rollback unless you're experiencing other issues.
Thanks for the kind words,
Mitch.

Sent from my LG-C900B using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

renatofontes

Oct 7, 2010
Guadalajara
THANK YOU!!!!
I tried to do this before but I had no idea how to do it...
so the flashing failed, obviously =P

I'll try again with your guide x)

I switched from a samsung galaxy s (i9000) to this phone 6 months ago, and wireless tethering was the only feature I really missed.
Thanks! =)

j_sous

Sep 1, 2007
I can confirm this guide works flawlessly on at&t Quantum!! It is very simple and takes about 30 minutes to complete. If you want tethering on your non-Telstra Quantum, there is no reason not to just this and you won't regret it!

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Actually I have to somewhat qualify my previous statement. The installation went perfectly, however there are some after effects. For instance, my data connection no longer works and as stated previously by others, MMS no longer works. Also, I noticed, as I suspected, the marketplace is region specific and some apps are not available with the Telstra ROM. An example would be the Xbox Extras apps. The marketplace thinks I am outside the US even though I am definitely in the US on at&t network. DAMN! This is alittle annoying and it makes me wonder what other apps I am not able to get access to with this ROM. OH well, I guess there are positives and negatives, but wifi tether is worth it in my opinion.

Just be aware, there are some minor consequences. I'm sure I can get most everything working again, but may take some tinkering.

64GUNSHIP

Jul 8, 2011
Perhaps the icon text in the registry for your hspa connection before was set set to 3G.. For whatever reason. There's nothing that should have happened by flashing this ROM. I'll look into the MMS issues, there should be an easy solution.

Sent from my LG-C900B using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

warlordraver

Apr 8, 2012
Hey, I did this using a Bell LG Quantum and I ended up not being able to use my Cellular data, is there anything that I could be doing wrong that would cause this, I may do a re-Flash since I have reverted back to Bell's ROM

xtmoto

Oct 1, 2011
Anyone else having problems downloading this file.
I also tried the faster downloading mirror and it just times out.

64GUNSHIP

Jul 8, 2011
I'm still looking for an MMS solution that will work for everyone. It appears Telstra removed some of the ADC settings in the MFG app, so I'm looking for potential workarounds in the registry.

As for the servers, they're working fine for me? If need be, I can re-uplod/email the files to you.:)

Diomorgan

Jul 11, 2011
Rome
As far as I was able to see once you flash the Telstra firmware you'll get the update to 7.10.8107.79, so don't mind which version you flash :D
Lg configuration app fixed MMS and APN too.

64GUNSHIP

Jul 8, 2011
As far as I was able to see once you flash the Telstra firmware you'll get the update to 7.10.8107.79, so don't mind which version you flash :D
Lg configuration app fixed MMS and APN too.

Can you give me some more details on your specific configuration? What model of Quantum are you using/what is your carrier? What version of LG configuration app are you using?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you’re an owner of the LG Quantum/c900, you may have noticed that your carrier hasn’t enabled Internet Sharing on the device. This is a universal problem for all carriers with the exception of Telstra (Australia).

Internet sharing is a feature that Microsoft made available in Mango, to carriers but not consumers. The drivers are available to manufacturers, who can choose whether or not to include them in their Mango drivers and can also be removed by carriers before pushing them out to the public.
    Now let’s go back to that bit about Telstra… It is true that this carrier selected to include the tethering drivers in their mango driver package. There was much speculation about changing registry values to get the update on a different carrier, but this would not work because of the model variations - the Telstra Quantum is labelled c900k, with the Bell variation being c900b, while AT&T and other international models are simply c900). There are actually no hardware differences between the two, so I’m unsure why they’re labelled differently.

Now, in order to get tethering on any Quantum, we need to flash the Telstra ROM. If you’re uncomfortable with flashing ROM’s, or have never done it before (it’s easy, trust me!), you may want to stop here, although I have included easy instructions for newbies. Please note that flashing a ROM will delete/erase all content on your phone. You can reinstall apps more easily by viewing your purchase history in the Zune software! Alternatively, you can read how to enable wired tethering (which doesn’t require flashing) at the bottom of this post.

**Note that this will break MMS! The only solution (at this time) is to carrier unlock your phone and run the LG Network Setup tool, available from the marketplace!**

First of all, you’ll need to download the package (which weighs in at 372 MB) after the break, which has:
    • A modified DLL that allows cross-model flashing.
    • The LG flashing/engineering tool.
    • The LG United Mobile driver.
    • The Telstra Mango ROM

Download this file (Deposit Files) and extract the contents to wherever you want.

1. Start your phone in “Emergency Download” mode; you can do this by holding the camera and volume down button while pressing the power button. A screen with an exclamation mark should appear, with the text “EmergencyDownload”.
    2. On your PC, open the “LGDP2 V36 Flashing Tool” folder, followed by the “Setup” subfolder.
    3. Launch the included executable and proceed through the installation process. When asked for the serial key, copy and paste it from “Serial Number.txt”. Finish the setup. You may get an error related to mqmailoa.dll, disregard it.
    4. Copy the “DOWNLOAD” folder from the flashing tool folder and paste it in C:\, overwriting any file conflicts.
    5. Install the LG Modem Driver found in “LG Modem Driver (MA 4.9.7) in your extracted directory.
    6. Connect your phone to the computer via USB and allow the drivers to install.
    7. Disconnect your phone now.
    8. Navigate to C:\DOWNLOAD and launch “LGDP2_V36_UMTS.exe”
    9. The tool will launch with a pop-up asking for Model Division, select “UMTS” and press OK.
    10. You will be presented with another pop-up, asking for Port Selection. In “Easy Select” on the left hand side, select “All”.
    11. Under “DLL Selection”, point the program to the DLL located in the directory you originally extracted everything to, under subfolder “DLL”
    12. Under “Download Configuration”, point the program to the Telstra Mango ROM, which is also in the extracted directory, under ROM. Press OK. Ignore warnings about being “Unable to Find Monitor Port”.
    13. Press “START” in the upper right hand corner. DO NOT CONNECT YOUR PHONE YET!
    14. NOW reconnect your phone. The process will begin, allowing you to view detailed information related to the progress in whatever COM port window the phone is connected to. Be patient as the process may take some time. DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE!
    15. When the progress reaches 100%, you may disconnect. Now quickly run through the setup of your phone. At this point in time, you can close the LG Flashing Tool.
    16. You’ve now officially flashed the ROM.
    17. There are still a few steps to get tethering! Currently, you are running Mango only. The latest LG/Telstra drivers haven’t been installed yet.
    18. Navigate to settings on your phone and verify “Date and Time” are set to the correct values, and set “Region and Language Options” to the appropriate values for where you reside and tap “Accept Changes and Restart Phone” at the top.
    19. Reconnect your phone to your computer and launch Zune. If required, go through a quick name setup and then allow the phone to check for updates. The update “LG Update for Windows Phone” will be installed. After this, restart your device and voila! You can now enable Internet Sharing from the Settings menu! Telstra has also released the 8107 update, so you don't have to use the CAB sender method to get the keyboard fix.

If you want to remove the Telstra boot screen (or even replace it with your own), you can root unlock your device using WP7 Root Tools 0.9 (requires interop unlock first: see here (follow the LG method, obviously) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1271963, and then use this tool http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/app_wph_tweaks-04-09-12

If you’re uncomfortable with ROM flashing, or don’t want to have to re-sync your content/apps, there is a less efficient but easier to apply method of tethering via USB. This hack is applied via the LG MFG app on the phone, but requires a reboot every time you apply it.

To do this, follow these instructions:
    1. Install the LG Pilot Modem Driver from here! (Deposit Files).
    2. Open the dialpad on your phone and dial “##634#”. The MFG app will install and open.
    3. You’ll be presented with a password field. The password is “appmfg#*#”.
    4. Open the “Engineer Menu” and then “Port Setting” followed by “USB Switching”.
    5. Take note that the default value here is MS COMPOSITE” - if you don’t change this back later, you’ll be unable to sync your phone via USB with Zune.
    6. Select “QC COMPOSITE” and press OK to reboot.
    7. Connect your phone to your PC, the drivers will be automatically installed.
    8. Open Device Manager, and find “LGE CDMA USB Modem” and open the Properties dialog. Under the advanced tab, add the additional string “AT+CGDCONT=1 “IP” “your carriers APN” (isp.cingular for AT&T, “pda.bell.ca” for Bell Canada, etc). Apply the setting.
    9. Create a new connection, by opening start and typing “dial-up”, click “Setup a Dial-up Connection”
    10. Select the “LGE USB Modem” as the source, and set the phone number as either *99***1# (America/International[?]) or *99# (Canada).
    11. Turn off the Data connection on your phone prior to dialing!
    12. Connect! There’s no username/password.
    13. The next time you want to sync via USB, you need to change back to MS COMPOSITE in MFG.
    Hi Allen,

I had the same experience as your. However, I am able to find the solution for this. All you need is the WIFI Tethering Drivers - 1.0.5.10 (December 2011).

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1381162

I use CabSender tool to update my LG C900K from 1.0.4.10 to 1.0.5.10
    After that, I can see the Internet Sharing option.

Keith

Alright... So I it looks like everything after the flash to C900K is working great except for updates (and therefore the internet sharing).

I've tried it twice, once with the sim card removed for the whole process, and Zune checks for updates after entering a name for the device, but seems to think the device is all up to date (even though it doesn't have the internet sharing update and is still at 7720). When manually checking for updates through Zune I get: "Your phone is up to date. Current phone software version: 7.10 (7720)"

Here's my details:

Model: LG LG-C900k
    Carrier: Telstra
    Software: Windows Phone 7.5

OS version: 7.10.7720.68
    Firmware revision number: 1.0.4.10
    Hardware revision number: 1.1.0.0
    Radio software version: 1.0.4.10
    Radio hardware version: 0.3.5.0
    Bootloader version: 1.5.1.0
    Chip SOC version: 0.30.2.0

I also tried updating to 7.10.7740.16 through the manual CAB method, but that did not enable internet sharing, though it seemed to apply the update fine otherwise.

Any thoughts? Is there maybe a CAB for the "LG Update for Windows Phone"? Maybe Zune is now blocking updates for this ROM?

Thanks,
    Allen
    Data not working after flash to Telstra ROM

Hi,

I just flashed a C900B (Bell Canada upgrade channel) to the Telstra C900K ROM. I am on the Telus Canada network in Ottawa, Ontario.

Everything was fine except my data would not work immediately after the flash.

I needed to enter my APN (sp.telus.com) before my data connection would work on the phone... I'm not sure what this means, but anyway, it seems to work fine so long as I have the APN entered. It definitely does does not work without the APN, even though it used to work fine with the Bell C900B ROM.

Anyway, if I find any problems, it looks like I should be able to easily revert to the Bell ROM found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=935605

Looking forward to having wireless tethering... Thanks!

EDIT: After running the LG Network Setup app, I no longer need to have the APN entered to have my data connection work. Seems like that Network Setup tool does do something good! Thanks LG!

Any thoughts? Is there maybe a CAB for the "LG Update for Windows Phone"? Maybe Zune is now blocking updates for this ROM?

Thanks,
    Allen

I'll flash my other Quantum with the stock mango ROM for Telstra, then use Wireshark to capture the update CAB for you, which you can then push with the cab sender method. I'm not sure when I'll have the time to do this, however. Stay tuned :)
    Hey, just a quick update on my update problem: I plugged the phone in and opened up Zune and suddenly it has the updates for me (I had manually updated to 7.10.7740.16 through the a CAB and Zune just gave me the 7.10.8107.79, 7.10.8112, and 7.10.8773 updates all at once). Yay! :)