Nexus 5 Otterbox Defender.

Search This thread

dieselbuddeh

Aug 25, 2013
I have asked the Otterbox customer service team about a defender case for our phone. They said they would consider making a defender case if i got 10,000 signatures on a petitiion. I am creating a petition later today. Anybody Interested?

PETITION

PROOF

Last edited:
Reactions: bblzd and imex99

Melamunna

Nov 29, 2012
This really would have been good to start back in November or December, but I'm sure you can get a lot of votes. I'll vote if I can see some proof of where they've said this. Not that I am calling you a liar; I just have only seen them respond with "no plans at this time."

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
There isn't any point, Otterbox hates Nexus phone devices. They never ever make any Nexus phone cases, their last one was the Galaxy Nexus.

Why beg a company to make a case for your phone if they don't want to make a phone case for a flagship Google device? Its obvious that they don't take the Nexus brand very serious. If they don't want to make a case, take your business elsewhere to another company.

Last edited:

dieselbuddeh

Aug 25, 2013
There isn't any point, Otterbox hates Nexus phone devices. They never ever make any Nexus phone cases, their last one was the Galaxy Nexus.

Why beg a company to make a case for your phone if they don't want to make a phone case for a flagship Google device? Its obvious that they don't take the Nexus brand very seriously. If they don't want to make a case, take your business elsewhere to another company.

They may hate them but there IS NO OTHER case with otterbox quality. Acase nor ballistic or any other have sufficed.

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
They may hate them but there IS NO OTHER case with otterbox quality. Acase nor ballistic or any other have sufficed.

If a Otterbox case is that important to you then maybe you should re consider on what phone to get based on what cases Otterbox produces for.
There are actually a good number of cases that can serve as alternatives and they actually make a case for a phone without begging them to do so. At this rate, if you want a Otterbox that much you might as well send Otterbox a resume for their marketing department because thats exactly what they're making you do by offering them to get 10K petitions. The phone has been out over 3 months and they don't have ANY plans to make a case for this phone. It doesn't take many resources to set up a prototype for the Nexus 5. Its more or less molding it to fit the size. I'm not being rough with you but thats just the truth.

1. http://www.amazon.com/Trident-Case-...id=1392679876&sr=8-2&keywords=Trident+Nexus+5
2. http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Slim-A...928&sr=8-2&keywords=Spigen+Nexus+5+Slim+Armor
3. http://www.case-mate.com/Google-Nexus-5-Cases/Case-Mate-Google-Nexus-5-Naked-Tough-Cases.asp#
4. http://www.incipio.com/cases/smartp...cases/dualpro-case-for-lg-google-nexus-5.html

t1.8matt

Jan 22, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA.
If a Otterbox case is that important to you then maybe you should re consider on what phone to get based on what cases Otterbox produces for.
There are actually a good number of cases that can serve as alternatives and they actually make a case for a phone without begging them to do so. At this rate, if you want a Otterbox that much you might as well send Otterbox a resume for their marketing department because thats exactly what they're making you do by offering them to get 10K petitions. The phone has been out over 3 months and they don't have ANY plans to make a case for this phone. It doesn't take many resources to set up a prototype for the Nexus 5. Its more or less molding it to fit the size. I'm not being rough with you but thats just the truth.

1. http://www.amazon.com/Trident-Case-...id=1392679876&sr=8-2&keywords=Trident+Nexus+5
2. http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Slim-A...928&sr=8-2&keywords=Spigen+Nexus+5+Slim+Armor
3. http://www.case-mate.com/Google-Nexus-5-Cases/Case-Mate-Google-Nexus-5-Naked-Tough-Cases.asp#
4. http://www.incipio.com/cases/smartp...cases/dualpro-case-for-lg-google-nexus-5.html

I can definitely say that if you're looking for an Otterbox quality case, go with the Trident. An Otterbox is not going to protect more than that and you're probably going to pay more if they end up making one. The Slim Armor is also very good if you don't want to go with too thick of a case. I have both but stick with the Slim Armor as it will protect it from most drops and bumps. And since I'm not engaging in urban warfare or playing baseball with my phone as the ball I don't feel I need to have such a bulky case to protect my phone. So to the OP, believe me, you're better off not petitioning Otterbox and just going with a case that is readily available. For $34.95 through Trident AND you get multiple colors to choose from, you can't beat that. Otterbox will be at least $40-$45 and all you get is black.

Edit: And Otterbox saying they'll consider it doesn't give you a guarantee that they will, even if you get 30,000 signatures. It's all in what it will cost them in development, tooling up to manufacture it, and if there is enough of a demand that it makes it worth it.

dieselbuddeh

Aug 25, 2013
I can definitely say that if you're looking for an Otterbox quality case, go with the Trident. An Otterbox is not going to protect more than that and you're probably going to pay more if they end up making one. The Slim Armor is also very good if you don't want to go with too thick of a case. I have both but stick with the Slim Armor as it will protect it from most drops and bumps. And since I'm not engaging in urban warfare or playing baseball with my phone as the ball I don't feel I need to have such a bulky case to protect my phone. So to the OP, believe me, you're better off not petitioning Otterbox and just going with a case that is readily available. For $34.95 through Trident AND you get multiple colors to choose from, you can't beat that. Otterbox will be at least $40-$45 and all you get is black.

Edit: And Otterbox saying they'll consider it doesn't give you a guarantee that they will, even if you get 30,000 signatures. It's all in what it will cost them in development, tooling up to manufacture it, and if there is enough of a demand that it makes it worth it.

None of the cases listed have a belt clip. Can you suggest one with a belt clip and good quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

t1.8matt

Jan 22, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA.
None of the cases listed have a belt clip. Can you suggest one with a belt clip and good quality.

If you're looking for one with a beltclip, I would buy the Zerolemon case when it comes back in stock. Even if you don't use the battery pack that comes with it, it's a rugged case with a belt clip. Check out the review on it in this forum a couple threads down and look at the pictures. For $39, it's a great deal.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2647299
http://zerolemon.com/product/zerole...battery-case-removeable-3500mah-battery-pack/

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
^ Pretty much.

The other options for our device aren't too shabby either.

Spigen, speck, Google, lg, tech21, ringke, supcase, quicksand, trident, driztronic, cruzerlite.... Many top brands have us covered.

Does anyone know which cases have integrated screen protectors for the Nexus 5? I am using an i-blason case with one right now and its pretty good, and I've also seen Ballistic's case with one with mixed reviews. So if there are any others, would love to hear about them.

Bleys43

Nov 4, 2010
The ballistic case silicone stretched way out. Don't use trident as their c/s is horrendous.

I have owned ballistic cases for multiple devices, and the silicone has never stretched out at all. Maybe you are not attaching the hard poly carbonate shell correctly, and the incorrect fit is stretching it?

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
I have owned ballistic cases for multiple devices, and the silicone has never stretched out at all. Maybe you are not attaching the hard poly carbonate shell correctly, and the incorrect fit is stretching it?

I've never had a problem either. I got 2 yrs out of my last one, and probably could have used it indefinitely. I guess some people are just good at abusing their stuff.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

The ballistic case silicone stretched way out. Don't use trident as their c/s is horrendous.

I don't plan on contacting Trident's CS dept., as their case is built rock solid and won't have any need to contact them.

Shane_IL

Dec 7, 2013
Ra'anana
Have that now. Already had the silicone replaced in 2 weeks. Stretched out beyond the edges of the phone.

Had the exact opposite with my old phone (HTC One S), I had an Otterbox commuter and the silicon part just got stretched out to the point that the phone jiggled around in it and the little covers for the ports/plugs/jacks broke off. Replaced it with the Ballistic SG and it's still a great fit a year and a half later.

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
Had the exact opposite with my old phone (HTC One S), I had an Otterbox commuter and the silicon part just got stretched out to the point that the phone jiggled around in it and the little covers for the ports/plugs/jacks broke off. Replaced it with the Ballistic SG and it's still a great fit a year and a half later.

Had a similar experience with the silicone on my commuter (galaxy nexus). It stretched to the point where it didn't protect the phone, cracking my screen when it dropped from waist height.

Their silicon was tougher in the sgs3 commuter, but I didn't have a good experience with otter box.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Why beg a company to make a case for your phone if they don't want to make a phone case for a flagship Google device? Its obvious that they don't take the Nexus brand very serious. If they don't want to make a case, take your business elsewhere to another company.
    I have asked the Otterbox customer service team about a defender case for our phone. They said they would consider making a defender case if i got 10,000 signatures on a petitiion. I am creating a petition later today. Anybody Interested?

PETITION

PROOF
    You could look at the Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx... Good reviews and a belt clip included.

http://www.amazon.com/BALLISTIC-SX1...&keywords=ballistic+tough+jacket+maxx+nexus+5

Have that now. Already had the silicone replaced in 2 weeks. Stretched out beyond the edges of the phone.