2nd-init for the Droid X2!

Search This thread

ferg40

Mar 29, 2011
Mesa, Az
Verizon offers 10gb for 80 dollars...Ill never go back to them again. DX2 is in my hands because the company gave it to me and i pay 27$ a month for unlimited.

If and when I leave work I do have to give it back though, so onward to Sprint!!

Man, you're a freaking cry baby.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
Lol what the hell are you talking about. Nobody offered unlimited data for tethering or mobile connect. And phone data is still unlimited for $30

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

zsg1313

Sep 4, 2010
Alright, I'll take full responsibility for ****ting up this thread with my opinion as to why Koush wasnt supporting the DX2. This thread was started about the 2nd init on the DX2, something I think we can all agree would be awesome to work with, and what this topic SHOULD get back to.

I just think Verizon's new pricing is a little out of line and Sprint seems to be the most viable alternative. Fine if you don't agree.

On a side note until CM gets over here Nitro did a nice job and Eclipse is running pretty damn smooth right now

garywojdan81

Aug 10, 2010
False, Verizon no longer offers unlimited plans, existing unlimited plan customers can finish their contract

http://venturebeat.com/2011/07/14/verizons-new-data-plans-could-really-hurt-mobile-apps/

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

According to the vzw rep I talked to when I took the offer to replace my fascinate with the x2, if you had unlimited data on your smartphone before 7/7 you were grandfathered into unlimited data even through upgrades to 4g handsets.

juhde

Mar 30, 2010
Carlsbad, NM
www.twitter.com
According to the vzw rep I talked to when I took the offer to replace my fascinate with the x2, if you had unlimited data on your smartphone before 7/7 you were grandfathered into unlimited data even through upgrades to 4g handsets.

Correct, it's only new contracts as is completely new (new number etc) renewals keep unlimited data

Last edited:

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
BUMP!

So, to try and get this thread back on track, does this work or not? If it does work, what can be done with it??? Or is this whole thing DOA? I wish I knew more about dev'ing even though I am pretty savvy with linux this a whole different beast... Edgan if you need or want help let me know, I may not be a huge help but I'm willing....

0vermind

Apr 13, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
So, to try and get this thread back on track, does this work or not? If it does work, what can be done with it??? Or is this whole thing DOA? I wish I knew more about dev'ing even though I am pretty savvy with linux this a whole different beast... Edgan if you need or want help let me know, I may not be a huge help but I'm willing....

I'm also willing!! Lets get CM7 with this.

navenedrob

Apr 24, 2009
Kannapolis, NC
That's exactly my point!!! Something has gotta give...(not complaining here just expressing my willingness to help even though I really don't know a lot..)

I couldn't get a hold of edgan, but I am working on this myself. FYI Atrix 4G has a GB 2nd-init already, but some of the source needs changed in order to work with Droid X2. Either way, we should have this before too long.

mattchenzo

Aug 5, 2010
Anchorage, AK
This is fascinating, but way beyond my comprehension level. Just want to get the word out to anyone developing for the X2, we have a bounty thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1224166

That's at least $750 pledged to the first developer who can successfully distribute a method to unlock the X2 bootloader. I know someone out there has the skills, the bounty is there to make it worth the effort!

Please pass this on to anyone who may want to see it!

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
I couldn't get a hold of edgan, but I am working on this myself. FYI Atrix 4G has a GB 2nd-init already, but some of the source needs changed in order to work with Droid X2. Either way, we should have this before too long.

That is great to hear nevenedrob! Thanks for the hard work! I know dragonkillerz was working on trying to tear CM7 apart but had run into some issues. Don't know what they are but he even pulled his github... Get ahold of him and he should be able to help also... Don't quote me on that tho! I'm just putting names and numbers together and hoping the stitching holds!!!

navenedrob

Apr 24, 2009
Kannapolis, NC
Just wanted to update that this should be around relatively soon. No promises but I'm close to porting it. It fails to find execve as this point, which kills 2nd-init but all that it will take is adjusting the locations to find execve in our init. Atrix 4G has a team working on a CM7 port, and no promises, but we can probably use a majority of their work to port to Droid X2 since the devices are practically identical in hardware. I think in the next few months if enough people get behind it for the X2 we might see some things. All in all, it is definitely looking possible and only a matter of time.

Reactions: ashclepdia
2nd init working on Gingerbread :) Thanks goes to me and Edgan.

SWEEEERT!!!""

Not to sure what this means but I know its good and allows for more dev. Can't wait to see what happens wit this now. Does this allow for kernel tweaks by chance? I wanna see what this beast can do on custom kernel :)

What does this make possible for x2 users who don't know?

ilovesoad

May 22, 2011
Plano, TX
SWEEEERT!!!""

Not to sure what this means but I know its good and allows for more dev. Can't wait to see what happens wit this now. Does this allow for kernel tweaks by chance? I wanna see what this beast can do on custom kernel :)

What does this make possible for x2 users who don't know?

You absolutely must have an unlocked bloader for custom kernels. This allows for things like cm7.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have just finished porting 2nd-init to the Droid X2. It was a clean port from the Atrix. I didn't modify the code, just compiled it. The work was in the install/wrapper.

This opens up custom ROMs, like CM7. This does not unlock the bootloader or allow custom kernels.

It has been tested on one Droid X2 so far. I recommend only developers play with this for now. It is not that useful be itself, but expect to see lots of new things happen based on this.

I welcome feedback. Also feel free to Donate via the "Donate to me" link under my username, top left, on XDA. Donate out of gratitude for this work, not for promises of future work.

I would like to give a special thanks to religi0n/relax. He stepped up to help me test 2nd-init, and worked with me across multiple days. Since I don't own a Droid X2, this wouldn't have happened without him.

Enjoy! :D

This apk requires SuperUser.apk to already be installed, and working. Ignore any references to the Atrix. This apk is custom for the Droid X2, but I didn't change all references to the Atrix in the apk. I will be working on an updated apk that doesn't mention the Atrix.

Steps for the apk:

1. Get it on the phone however you like
    2. Install the apk
    3. Open 2ndinit
    4. Click Install
    5. Click OK when the dialog comes up
    6. Install Android Terminal Emulator from the Market
    7. Open Android Terminal Emulator
    8. type ls /sys/kernel/debug<enter>

This is only for Froyo. We know it breaks in it's current form with Gingerbread.

Thanks to religi0n!
    Thanks to eval!
    Thanks to Brandon15811!
    Thanks to xfinrodx!
    Thanks to xvilka!
    Thanks to PAuly!
    Thanks to Skrilax_CZ!
    Thanks to BravoMotorola!
    Thanks to NFHimself!

DOWNLOADS
    2nd-init Droid X2 apk

Developers only:
    Tarball

Info:
    This method starts 2nd-init via mount_ext3.sh.

Warning! This conflicts with Tenfar's ClockWorkMod(aka CWM) Recovery
    If the phone is wall charging, you shut down the phone, and start it, it will boot CWM
    To avoid this, open System Recovery and hit Charge Mode.
    It may also conflict with other recovery tools, or other things that tweak the normal boot process.

Tweaks:
    /sys/kernel/debug mounted

Checking for successful installation:

ls /sys/kernel/debug

Good Output:

cO54DH.png

If the Output is good, then Congradulations you have control over init now!

h4MYc4.png
    2nd init working on Gingerbread :) Thanks goes to me and Edgan.
    This is really great news. Now we just need someone to get cracking on the CM7 port.

Thanks for your hard work edgan and all testers!

Sent from my DROID X2
    Yes you're wrong

Sent from my DROID X2

Goood!! can't wait to see some cm7
    That is basically right. As of now, the few ROMs we have are based off of the default kernel. CM7 has already been ported successfully to devices running 2nd-init hacks written for those devices. Dragonzkiller has been working on tearing CM7 apart to see if he can get it to work. Now that 2nd-init is confirmed working, all we need to do is wait for the devs to work together and port CM7 and other ROMs that use custom kernels to work with the default kernel via 2nd-init... So again, its just a waiting game now...

EDIT: here is a link to what 2nd-init is and how it works... It is a little technical but it should help u get the jist of how it does what is does... http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-06-14/2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works

That is also posted earlier I believe by MikeJ aka Caps lol. And even if I don't understand the complete tech wording that explanation makes more sense than a 99¢ store....hadtoto say it..sorry getting late and just keep checking and waiting for an " I've DONE IT" post lol