I've had it with this phone...

Search This thread

intruda119

Mar 12, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I would think news websites like engadget would be all over it. I'm feel bad for you guys because I'm on my second note that's been great. My first did have a overheating problem for some reason but both devices screens were great.

I agree, polls don't prove anything. It's not like everyone will vote and will people who've had several defective phones get to vote more than once?

But when you say it's only a minority of phones with these peoblems, how can you know? Are all of us who've had more than three defective phones in a row just unlucky? I'm not saying there aren't good screens, but what are the odds of receiving several defective phones?

GALAXY NOTE

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Dead pixels are obvious unless they are on the very edge, you dont need to squint your eyes to see it. Obviously your one of the ignorant ones thats accepting defects thus allowing samsung to release products with a lower level of QC. I hope your screen gets filled with dead pixels one day.

Hmmm.. how childish you are. As a senior member you should know better.

For the record, my point was this: I do not accept that Samsung is guilty of shoddy QC. I do accept that recently 1 million Galaxy Notes have been sold. If you expect to ever buy ANY technology product completely free of defects or problems then you are living on another planet. I was just trying to get this all into perspective. I am defending a product I truly believe is brilliant and as perfect as it can be.

Oh and I checked my device and report zero dead pixels.

Reactions: Croak

hendrik_

Jan 3, 2012
Me too, I have the note for a month now, its a great thing and the screen is fantastic.
To me its hard to believe there are screen issues, everyone I know with these amuled screens find them great. Maybe there are some mickeysoft marketing guys messing around in the forum?

Reactions: toofank
Dec 25, 2011
Jakarta
I actually found an issue with galaxy note.. Sometimes the black area in a video (or should i say YouTube) have this squares.. But if I'm. Not mistaken it's because the black is not solid black. However i still using it and it really help my work..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
My first Galaxy Note had dead pixels, burn-in effects (don't know what you call them but there are pictures in the link below). The second one I got as a replacement had much more burn-in effects than the first one. The third Galaxy Note had burn-in effects but not as much as the first two, but the gyroscope isn't working on third one, yes I've calibrated it like a thousand times. All of these phones had the burn-in effects out of the box, so it wasn't I who was overheating the phones screen or something like that...

There were also other minor problems (with all three phones) like bad audio quality, bad Bluetooth connectivity, minor lagging and small blocks appearing when watching videos (yes, even of high quality videos) which doesn't appear on any other phone I've had.

I've never had any of these problems with another phone. I've mainly used Sony Ericsson and Apple phones. Off topic, or maybe not.. I also bought an Samsung Galaxy S2 for my girlfriend and it too had burn-in effects and a burnt in status bar (nothing she really cared about, I take it as does most of the people who have it), so it's not just the Galaxy Note suffering from this issue.

Now I'm here, with my third fricking defective Galaxy Note, really pissed off at these issues. If one pays ca. 500+ euros for a quality phone made by the "best" phone company in the world one doesn't expect to have these issues.

I will try to solve this by contacting Samsung. But I would ask of other owners of the Galaxy Note to do the following test on their phones and post a result.

Download the app:

1. Dead Pixel Detect and Fix
2. Start with choosing the colors white and grey
3. Within the app, go to settings, set brightness to lowest.
4. Be in a dark room and look for these burn in effects I'm talking about (dark vertical and horizontal lines + smudges).

Take a picture of the screen with another camera, taking a picture with the phone itself won't show these issues as it's not software issue but a hardware issue.

These were my results with the first two phones I bought:
http://imageshack.us/g/685/bild4ht.jpg/ (There is only one color displayed and there are lots of dark lines and smudges, ignore the grain)

Thank you.

Sell your phone and gtfooh:mad:

ZoinksS2k

Jul 21, 2010
Dallas
This thread is fun.

If the steps in the OP are required to see the issue, don't do them. Problem solved.

I've got one of the Polish phones available to US folks from Newegg. No problems what so ever.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I think the reason why the OP posted steps is because its easier to spot the defects rather than say run this program and when you get to this part you see this and that. Basically the issue is on a certain color shade, greys for example are tend to be problematic, some units display greys pretty badly.. you can do this comparison by getting a grey image on your PC screen and compare it to your G-Note certain shades of greys will look different on the G-Note if you have a "defective" screen, while those will perfect screens will see a 99.99% solid shade and none of those lines/blotches the OP has mentioned. I also have a similar issue but not limited to greys. I see horizontal lines even on whites regardless of the brightness. and the bottom 1/4 of my screen has a green tint which is visible in shades of grey.

Bottom line is the OP is wanting to see ( via pictures ) if there are such screens that do not exhibit the same issue he is facing and so far less than a handful of people are provided proof and others are being rude or just totally dismissive thus reinforcing the OP's belief that most screens are defective.

My screen replacement is going to arrive this Jan8 and I hope to get a better one.

Last edited:

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I think he'll have to trust us.
That wont work, since this is pretty much subjective to ones expectation and level of perception, a definition of a 'non-defective' screen or even "perfect" screen varies from person to person.

What might be perfect for you might be defective for others as they've seen a better screen with the same or a previous generation device ( prev generation screen for this matter )

Take for example the faint horizontal lines that you see on the G-Note/G-Nexus screen when using the stock browser or anything that has a grey color like the market or the samsung keypad, a lot of people claim that its a by product of OLED screens and its 100% normal and all screens exhibit that issue, for me that is not normal as I've never seen that before with my previous SAMOLED devices and I've also seen G-Notes that dont have those lines even at lowest brigthness.

biggerswede

Dec 18, 2011
Androidtown
My major concern is the LAG. No matter what ROM or Kernel I've found several times per day there will be LAG. Sometimes when you need to unlock the Note, sometimes when you press contacts it takes a few sec, when you press SMS a few seconds. The funny thing is that sometimes when you press the same APP it opens up BLITZ fast, like it should. Coming from Iphone 3GS I never had this type of LAG except when my kids played with my phone and had started all the apps there was.

Also with the hardware in the Samsung Note I think it should be even faster however would love to have some in depth knowledge on how there can be LAG och a dual processor with 1.6mhz with SetCPU. Clearly its not a RAM issue since I have default programs.

Using the Note with RocketRom V13 and Abyssnote 2.6 makes the phone so much better than TouchWiz, but LAG is something I just can't stand. How can Samsung release a phone with original software that LAGS? Thats just stupid.

The screen problem that you guys are complaining about I've tried to see with my eyes and I don´t seem to have it.

Im still happy with the switch from Iphone 3gs but I'm hoping for major upgrades with ICS for the Note.

BEst forum EVER!

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
I would think news websites like engadget would be all over it.
Well, there's that. Didn't happen until now, screen as faulty as the definitively faulty (as in not subjective by the viewer but really faulty) in this thread seem to be a minority. So bottom line must be something along the lines of QC seems to be working, screens are generally fine.
On a side note: *#0*# renders flawless unitone graphics on my device (red, blue, ...) yet the market loading screen is showing smudges and a not perfect uniform colour. After buying the Note I was first astonished as I know how it can/should look like from a LCD screen. Next step, I informed myself about AMOLED and then realised, this must - still speaking of an ok, not faulty screen - be due to the technology. 1. AMOLED DOES have issues with big surfaces of uniform mixed colours. Gray is a mixed color. Gray is bound to be problematic. 2. the difficulties of exact colour reproduction rise along the lines of exponentially when increasing the pixel count and panel size. 3. the Note has the first AMOLED screen of this physical size and pixel density. I do believe I don't need to say anything more, right? Still under the premise that we talk of ok, not faulty screens. So I do get a ****ty Market loading screen, am I ok with that? Yes. Why? Everything which should be reproduced faultless is reproduced without fault, yet one thing which is to be expected to pose problems does pose a "problem". What this confirms is that the technical analysis of AMOLED technology is in fact correct as stated on wikipedia and other places on the web, that my screen obviously must be an AMOLED screen and that my screen works excellent inside the parameters of a) very high density and b) big surface AMOLED screens. No reason to get it exchanged. Besides, I look at the Market loading screen very rarely. Besides, get it exchanged for what...? The Note is unique at this time.

...Sometimes the black area in a video (or should i say YouTube) have this squares
It's not a screen but a software, gamma level and colour rendering issue. It obviously is software and not hardware related.

That wont work, since this is pretty much subjective...
Subjectivity. Well, reproducing the exact same lighting, photo angle and display parameters for every user and every shot taken, not to mention with completely different photo hardware (other smartphones? lol...?), I'd prefer the word and judgement of a well informed user.

My major concern is the LAG. (...) unlock the Note (...) contacts (...) SMS (...) when you press the same APP it opens up BLITZ fast, like it should.
Unlock lag is known and is worked on, as the newest software revisions show (KL8). It's not good enough yet, though.
Contacts and SMS need to be opened once after restarting the device to be (and remain) in memory. This explains why "sometimes" they open up instantly, because they run already and only get pulled to the foreground from the background. Unfortunately this behaviour is given by Android, which is not perfect, but I do prefer it over any other mobile OS in existance at this time.

Also with the hardware in the Samsung Note I think it should be even faster however would love to have some in depth knowledge on how there can be LAG och a dual processor with 1.6mhz with SetCPU. Clearly its not a RAM issue since I have default programs.
Do not forget, the Note has for example to calculate almost 4x the pixels it's very similarily equipped sibling Galaxy S2 has to. Keeping that in mind, the Note performs excellent, because it surely doesn't feel like 4 times slower than a GS2. Also you should inform yourself a little more on what CPU governors are, on how long a phone would run if it used 100% it's power at all times etc. The Note is an excellent performer. And just to make this clear: I hate all things Apple and iPhone, but the iPhone also is an excellent performer, it's not like I'm biased or anything. But, as stated above, the iPhone doesn't run Android, which at this time, is a must for me.

Using the Note with RocketRom V13 and Abyssnote 2.6 makes the phone so much better than TouchWiz...
TouchWizz is VERY powerhungry, this is not new. By using anything other than TouchWizz, you will feel a bump in speed/smoothness. On top of that, RocketROM applies ALOT of tweaks not found in standard Samsung ROMs. The AbyssNote Kernel does the rest, by deploying other I/O schedulers, more optimized (but not industry standards compilant) governors etc. I wonder why you wonder where the different experience comes from ;)

Ryanscool

Aug 30, 2011
Denver
biggerswede;20983725 Using the Note with RocketRom V13 and Abyssnote 2.6 makes the phone so much better than TouchWiz said:
My infuse comes with pretty crappy software, after day 1 expect lag in almost everything. I use launcher pro, ics theme of course to make it seem significantly faster. It still gets laggy, especially with stock apps. Oh gosh live wallpapers are horrible on it. Can not wait for the att gnote (hopefullly with ics).

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
...Oh gosh live wallpapers are horrible on it. Can not wait for the att gnote (hopefullly with ics).
Firstly, forget about AT&T with ICS. Think about it: Samsung needs to finish ICS, test and verify it, then customize it for AT&T, then go through the whole testing again, we're talking late summer for a device release like that. Think Gingerbread and we're soon good to go, maybe February or March, 4 months seem sufficient for the whole customisation and testing.

As for live wallpapers, expected: do not lose perspective, we are still talking 800x1280 live animated pixels. Massive CPU work. Nothing more to add :rolleyes:

SrAdama

Nov 15, 2011
Stockholmistan
Alls I'm saying is that opening an emotionally charged thread and asking people to prove they don't have the problem is a **** move.

It wasn't "emotionally" charged at anyone (but I do see how it could be if you are a samsung fanboy, which I take it we all here must agree on is rather silly, just like apple fanboys or fanboys of other companies) and I opened this thread to see how widespread the problem was. Haven't seen a perfect screen yet, not here on the forum, not in stores and all of the three G-notes I had/have are defective.. so..

Anyway, I'll be returning my third galaxy note next week. Not because of the faint lines all over the screen, but because the right lower corner on the touch screen has stopped responding and I'm afraid it will get worse...

Last edited:

ZoinksS2k

Jul 21, 2010
Dallas
It wasn't "emotionally" charged at anyone (but I do see how it could be if you are a samsung fanboy, which I take it we all here must agree on is rather silly, just like apple fanboys or fanboys of other companies) and I opened this thread to see how widespread the problem was. Haven't seen a perfect screen yet, not here on the forum, not in stores and all of the three G-notes I had/have are defective.. so..

Anyway, I'll be returning my third galaxy note next week. Not because of the faint lines all over the screen, but because the right lower corner on the touch screen has stopped responding and I'm afraid it will get worse...

Glad everything worked out for you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My first Galaxy Note had dead pixels, burn-in effects (don't know what you call them but there are pictures in the link below). The second one I got as a replacement had much more burn-in effects than the first one. The third Galaxy Note had burn-in effects but not as much as the first two, but the gyroscope isn't working on third one, yes I've calibrated it like a thousand times. All of these phones had the burn-in effects out of the box, so it wasn't I who was overheating the phones screen or something like that...

There were also other minor problems (with all three phones) like bad audio quality, bad Bluetooth connectivity, minor lagging and small blocks appearing when watching videos (yes, even of high quality videos) which doesn't appear on any other phone I've had.

I've never had any of these problems with another phone. I've mainly used Sony Ericsson and Apple phones. Off topic, or maybe not.. I also bought an Samsung Galaxy S2 for my girlfriend and it too had burn-in effects and a burnt in status bar (nothing she really cared about, I take it as does most of the people who have it), so it's not just the Galaxy Note suffering from this issue.

Now I'm here, with my third fricking defective Galaxy Note, really pissed off at these issues. If one pays ca. 500+ euros for a quality phone made by the "best" phone company in the world one doesn't expect to have these issues.

I will try to solve this by contacting Samsung. But I would ask of other owners of the Galaxy Note to do the following test on their phones and post a result.

Download the app:

1. Dead Pixel Detect and Fix
    2. Start with choosing the colors white and grey
    3. Within the app, go to settings, set brightness to lowest.
    4. Be in a dark room and look for these burn in effects I'm talking about (dark vertical and horizontal lines + smudges).

Take a picture of the screen with another camera, taking a picture with the phone itself won't show these issues as it's not software issue but a hardware issue.

These were my results with the first two phones I bought:
    http://imageshack.us/g/685/bild4ht.jpg/ (There is only one color displayed and there are lots of dark lines and smudges, ignore the grain)

Thank you.
    Might be. It seems like the people who are buying Samsung phones doesn't know what quality is, so they just keep the phones and praise the company and the model.

They know what quality is, they just accept the defects as normal. For me I find it hard to accept some of the screen defects when I never faced this issue with first 2 SAMOLED devices. I guess its the flawless screens I had with my first 2 devices placed me in such high expectations especially on the SAMOLED Plus.

I'll try to see if I can also have mine replaced, the only issue I have is the faint horizontal lines, can be seen even when browsing. No effort needed to see it.
    IMHO, part of the cause of this really low quality control is not by samsung but from other users who accept obvious defects to be normal or tolerable, sure its gonna be a PIA to have it exchanged upto more then a dozen times but since a great majority of them are just accepting it so samsung is giving us sup par quality control.

Might be. It seems like the people who are buying Samsung phones doesn't know what quality is, so they just keep the phones and praise the company and the model.
    I've never had any of these problems with another phone. I've mainly used Sony Ericsson and Apple phones.
    Sorry to read of your difficulties, but you do realize their are plenty of Sony and Apple owners with similar problems, right? You've just been lucky until now.
    I have a SGS2 and My screen is perfect! Tried the app that is mentioned and all colors are perfect! Maybe there is a bad batch of Super AMOLED HD panels floating around. Don't know but I have never seen SAMOLED screen in such a bad shape! And I've seen a lot! Have somebody heard of Nexus Prime having this issues too?