[MOD] Add 3G Switch to Comm Manager - 3G Toggle - (Black & White Available)

Search This thread

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
My diamond is GSM version (With Sim) but UMTS, HDSPA and 3G Enable only with WCDMA Option..

Very strange that it's not working for you. It certainly works on my Fuze. When I turn 3G on, the "H" icon in that TaskBar appears (when the reception is there, of course) as soon as I turn 3G off in CommMgr, only Edge or GPRS ("E" or "G", respectively) show up in my TaskBar.

leen15

Sep 3, 2007
Trento
Very strange that it's not working for you. It certainly works on my Fuze. When I turn 3G on, the "H" icon in that TaskBar appears (when the reception is there, of course) as soon as I turn 3G off in CommMgr, only Edge or GPRS ("E" or "G", respectively) show up in my TaskBar.

Please check in Phone Settings what type of connection is active when you select 3G in comm manager.

In my Diamond:

3G OFF
First Option: GSM
Second Option: Auto

3G ON
First Option: Auto

In your case maybe when the first option is set to Auto the first type of connection that fuze can estabilize is 3g.. if you are in a area where you have a low signal of 3g maybe you see connected on gsm network :confused:

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Please check in Phone Settings what type of connection is active when you select 3G in comm manager.

In my Diamond:

3G OFF
First Option: GSM

3G ON
First Option: Auto

In your case maybe when the first option is set to Auto the first type of connection that fuze can estabilize is 3g.. if you are in a area where you have a low signal of 3g maybe you see connected on gsm network :confused:

I have the same settings as you under the Band tab in Phone options when I switch between 3G on and off...

Check out the following threads, this concept is not new.
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=cingular&thread.id=109104
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=cingular&thread.id=109397
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1460446&page=1

The easiest way to know it's working is to turn 3G ON and see what the battery level is at the end of the day, it will be low about 45-50%... then turn 3G OFF for a day and my battery is around 75% at the end of that day.

Last edited:

leen15

Sep 3, 2007
Trento
I have the same settings as you under the Band tab in Phone options...

Check out the following threads, this concept is not new.
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=cingular&thread.id=109104
http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=cingular&thread.id=109397

The easiest way to know it's working is to turn 3G ON and see what the battery level is at the end of the day, it will be low about 45-50%... then turn 3G OFF for a day and my battery is around 75% at the end of that day.

I see that it not working because i normally use GSM, i use 3g only for internet connection.
If i use 3g the internet connection is more fast than gsm.
if I set the option to auto it connect to GSM (Internet go slow), if i set the option to WCDMA it connect to HSDPA, i dont know why.

Last edited:

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
I see that it not working because i normally use GSM, i use 3g only for internet connection.
If i use 3g the internet connection is more fast than gsm.
if I set the option to auto it connect to GSM (Internet go slow), if i set the option to WCDMA it connect to HSDPA, i dont know why.

Why would you set your phone to WCDMA if you use a GSM phone? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but WCDMA has CDMA in it :) that's Sprint and Verizon --- GSM (HSDPA/HSUPA) is AT&T and T-Mobile

leen15

Sep 3, 2007
Trento
Why would you set your phone to WCDMA if you use a GSM phone? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but WCDMA has CDMA in it :) that's Sprint and Verizon --- GSM (HSDPA/HSUPA) is AT&T and T-Mobile

Because for internet 3g is more fast (0,2 mbps vs 2 mbps).
If I set in phone Setting GSM Netwok diamond connect only to GPRS and EDGE network (normally use of the phone).
If i set WCDMA network diamond connect only with UMTS and HSDPA network.
I would like that when i select 3g button in commManager diamond connect to a 3g network, but not work. :(

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Because for internet 3g is more fast (0,2 mbps vs 2 mbps).
If I set in phone Setting GSM Netwok diamond connect only to GPRS and EDGE network (normally use of the phone).
If i set WCDMA network diamond connect only with UMTS and HSDPA network.
I would like that when i select 3g button in commManager diamond connect to a 3g network, but not work. :(

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you think that you can make that 3G button do anything other than what it currently does, then the answer is no you cannot. My CAB only activates a button/function that already exists in CommManager, nothing more. Or you want to "force" 3G connection? If reading correctly, I believe that "Auto" does not do what you would like it to do... that's a phone/radio problem that you would need to try a new radio for (possibly)... maybe another OS or a Hard Reset will also fix... mine auto-switches properly and it did the same on many ROMs and Radios... some just better than others at that function though as expected.

I just did some research and our phone is WCDMA capable... I finally understand what you're trying to achieve but that's more of a scripting (MortScript) task or .Net excutable, or just pop open the band page just like you currently have to do.

Fuze Stats from here, funny how LetsTalk.com gives identical definitions for Technology and Data Technology:
Network Technology
Technology WCDMA 850/1900 + EGSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
Data Technology GSM: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA

My suggestion, if you want to know what reg entry gets changed when you flip the options on the band page, just take a full registry dump, then change options, then another registry dump. Then use windiff to find the differences...

Last edited:

leen15

Sep 3, 2007
Trento
What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you think that you can make that 3G button do anything other than what it currently does, then the answer is no you cannot. My CAB only activates a button/function that already exists in CommManager, nothing more. Or you want to "force" 3G connection? If reading correctly, I believe that "Auto" does not do what you would like it to do... that's a phone/radio problem that you would need to try a new radio for (possibly)... maybe another OS or a Hard Reset will also fix... mine auto-switches properly and it did the same on many ROMs and Radios... some just better than others at that function though as expected.

I just did some research and our phone is WCDMA capable... I finally understand what you're trying to achieve but that's more of a scripting (MortScript) task or .Net excutable, or just pop open the band page just like you currently have to do.

Fuze Stats from here, funny how LetsTalk.com gives identical definitions for Technology and Data Technology:
Network Technology
Technology WCDMA 850/1900 + EGSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
Data Technology GSM: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA

My suggestion, if you want to know what reg entry gets changed when you flip the options on the band page, just take a full registry dump, then change options, then another registry dump. Then use windiff to find the differences...

Thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestion ;)

leen15

Sep 3, 2007
Trento
Hi, I try to do as you suggest me, and i found the key:

[HKLM\Software\OEM\UMTS]

OpMode = 1 for GSM

OpMode = 2 for WCDMA

But if I change only the key nothing happen, what command i have to give for refreash network? :confused:

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Hi, I try to do as you suggest me, and i found the key:

[HKLM\Software\OEM\UMTS]

OpMode = 1 for GSM

OpMode = 2 for WCDMA

But if I change only the key nothing happen, what command i have to give for refreash network? :confused:

Nice!

I would guess you have to kill cprog.exe and restart it... that's the EXE that runs the phone functionality. The easiest way to do this is with .Net or a MortScript.

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Does this tool work with Topaz (Touch Diamond 2)?

Thx.

Again, I need to clarify... this is not a tool. This is just an activation of something that is a part of HTC CommManager... activating this cannot hurt your device. The CAB changes a single registry entry and adds two images under \Windows directory. Uninstalling will revert it back or Advanced Config can be used to re-order the Comm Manager buttons. I suggest writing down the value in this reg location: HKLM\Software\HTC\CommManager\5\(Default)

So, the best thing to do when deciding is to go to the first post and compare the screenshots against your CommManager, if it looks like the ones in those screenshots then there is a good chance that this will work for you. Take a soft reset though.

Please post back letting me know if it does work so I can add the device to the first post...

Thanks!
JZ

Tatsch

May 11, 2009
Doesn't work with my german Touch Diamond 2 (Topaz).

Tried following steps:

1. Shut all open programs

2. Installed http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180021&stc=1&d=1240640028
= JZ Add 3G to CommManager WHITE WITH CIRCLE.cab

3. Softreset

4. Comm Manager looks ok with icon in text in 5th position (btw: Below the six options there is blank space enough for a 7th position)

The button on the right shows the right status, tested with GSM and AUTO.

-> But the button doesn' work, nothing happens besides button's push-animation. Doesn't change the color.

5. Deinstalled the cab. After softreset Comm Manager looks like before.

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Doesn't work with my german Touch Diamond 2 (Topaz).

Tried following steps:

1. Shut all open programs

2. Installed http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180021&stc=1&d=1240640028
= JZ Add 3G to CommManager WHITE WITH CIRCLE.cab

3. Softreset

4. Comm Manager looks ok with icon in text in 5th position (btw: Below the six options there is blank space enough for a 7th position)

The button on the right shows the right status, tested with GSM and AUTO.

-> But the button doesn' work, nothing happens besides button's push-animation. Doesn't change the color.

5. Deinstalled the cab. After softreset Comm Manager looks like before.

When you flipped it on/off, did you see a difference in your taskbar. Meaning:

• If 3G is turned ON - then you will see an H icon in your start menu which sometimes steps down to Edge, then down to GPRS at times.
  • If 3G is turned OFF - then you will see Edge and GPRS only, H will never come up. This is where the battery gain is... HSDPA is battery heavy.
  • Last but not least, if you use this utility, it will tell you if internet speed is fast or slow (based on the numeric value of course) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=395165 -- this way you will know if 3G/HSDPA is active.
Thanks!
JZ

Last edited:

Tatsch

May 11, 2009
Thank you for your reply.
When you flipped it on/off, did you see a difference in your taskbar.
No, i didn't. No change from gsm <-> 3G/H in both directions.

Maybe this is important:

When i change GSM <-> Auto manually through "Band" Tab in Windows Mobile, everytime i will be asked in a pop-up window:

"If you change the bandset-preferences, PDP-context/datacall will be deactivated. Continue?" (here translated from german)

Only if i confirm with "yes", the change to GSM/Auto happens. The questions appears at changes in both directions.

Could this be a problem?

JZ SmartMort

Mar 24, 2008
Burbank
Thank you for your reply.

No, i didn't. No change from gsm <-> 3G/H in both directions.

Maybe this is important:

When i change GSM <-> Auto manually through "Band" Tab in Windows Mobile, everytime i will be asked in a pop-up window:

"If you change the bandset-preferences, PDP-context/datacall will be deactivated. Continue?" (here translated from german)

Only if i confirm with "yes", the change to GSM/Auto happens. The questions appears at changes in both directions.

Could this be a problem?

I don't think so, that's just default Windows functionality when that setting is flipped it asks to confirm.