NAND Backups and Ext

Search This thread

gospodinwizard

Jul 28, 2010
First, am I doing something wrong or does it just not work? I can't seem to get NAND +ext backup to work.

On the matter, of ext partitions there seem to be some ROMS that use ext2 and some that use ext3. Then there is also ext4. This can be annoying if you want to try another ROM that requires the ext type you don't currently have. I'd really rather not have to wipe the SD card and have to repartition it. Since I know I can use Acronis to format both ext2 and ext3, would it work OK to have FAT32, ext2, ext3, and swap all on the same SD card?

Also, I saw a post that seemed to say Froyo ROMs require just having one big FAT32 partition. That seems rather off to me since I thought Froyo ROMs could use A2SD.

ericFuels999

Feb 20, 2010
First, am I doing something wrong or does it just not work? I can't seem to get NAND +ext backup to work.

On the matter, of ext partitions there seem to be some ROMS that use ext2 and some that use ext3. Then there is also ext4. This can be annoying if you want to try another ROM that requires the ext type you don't currently have. I'd really rather not have to wipe the SD card and have to repartition it. Since I know I can use Acronis to format both ext2 and ext3, would it work OK to have FAT32, ext2, ext3, and swap all on the same SD card?

Also, I saw a post that seemed to say Froyo ROMs require just having one big FAT32 partition. That seems rather off to me since I thought Froyo ROMs could use A2SD.

I'll refer you to the following link for making NAND + ext backups:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6866495&postcount=1038

While I think it may be theoretically possible to have ext2, ext3, and swap, all on the same SD card, I seriously doubt any Android version would be able to recognize that form of partitioning (Froyo definitely wouldn't).

As for Froyo, the implementation of A2SD in Froyo simply stores apps in a folder on the SD card, thus eliminating the need for a partition. The A2SD implementation "hacked" into 2.1 ROMs on this website originated from Cyanogen, I believe. Therefore, there isn't specific Android OS support for the feature like there is from Google in 2.2.

settlethestorm

May 22, 2010
East Lyme, CT
That weird cause I have apps2sd working with almost 300mb of apps on my 512 ext partition, and when I do a regular NAND backup using clockworkmod recovery, and when I restore, it restores all of the apps on the ext. Don't know why this is tho or why your having trouble, just thought I'd let you know.

Sent from my Eris using XDA App