[REF][ROOT][SOLVED] Motorola Defy XT555C on 2.3.7 build 67d

Search This thread

nerdmonger

Sep 25, 2013
Still no luck sir. I've only rooted two phones before but it was with Odin and cwm. I had tried to use the cruelintent method posted else where and noticed that i couldn't push one of the files because it didn't have permission. Could that attempt be causing my problem? Should I factory reset and try again with vroot?

Thanks for being patient. I'll be pressing that thank you button reguardless of ether outcome :)

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Still no luck sir. I've only rooted two phones before but it was with Odin and cwm. I had tried to use the cruelintent method posted else where and noticed that i couldn't push one of the files because it didn't have permission. Could that attempt be causing my problem? Should I factory reset and try again with vroot?

Thanks for being patient. I'll be pressing that thank you button reguardless of ether outcome :)

Yes it might work.
@reemobeens19 and @nerdmonger I've managed to obtain SBF's for your phone.

Defy XT Brightpoint
http://www.4shared.com/zip/VENcccbM/TBE-170B-0-1017-A03-signed-Bri.html

Defy XT Republic Wireless
http://www.4shared.com/zip/_mlR-kl1/TBE-165G-0-1027-A08-signed-Rep.html

Defy XT US Cellular
http://www.4shared.com/zip/aymHrR45/TBE-158S-0-1018-A05-signed-US-.html

Thanks to @toto221 for obtaining the SBF's. Flash the SBF using RSD-Lite. Just put phone in Flash-mode by pressing Power Button and Vol+ simultaneously.

Reactions: sd_shadow

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
@rootdefyxt320 here is my build.prop. i cant seem to find the flex.prop, where is it located?
witch one of the sbf links provided would be for the Straighttalk USA (sprint) defy?
also the day after i sucessfully rooted i managed to crack my digitizer, do you know if any
other defy digitizers would work with this particular model as i can only find them for the 535 556 &557?

i apologize for not having been involved lately as i have been very busy.

Attachments

• build.prop.zip
    2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
@rootdefyxt320 here is my build.prop. i cant seem to find the flex.prop, where is it located?
witch one of the sbf links provided would be for the Straighttalk USA (sprint) defy?
also the day after i sucessfully rooted i managed to crack my digitizer, do you know if any
other defy digitizers would work with this particular model as i can only find them for the 535 556 &557?

i apologize for not having been involved lately as i have been very busy.

Yes, it should work. I suggest XT556. Flash the XT556 as it's probably the closest one. @toto221 told me that the SBF's should work and you should retain the signal anyway.

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
Im having trouble installing custom recovery. I have tried all of the methods that i have been able to find.
The list of methods are as follows:

#1 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1356767 :confused:
tried the market install of 2nd-init as well as the .apk provided in the link both stated they were installed sucessfuly and do not get any kind of "boot menu". green light comes on, reboot... no blue light. not sure if this one has a blue light as i
have never seen one. tried the cwm touch via stock recovery and apply update option. result said it wasnt signed and it aborted

#2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1585927 :rolleyes:
twrp manager shows no icons in the app, twrp website has recoveries specifically written and signed for the defy but
when i try to install them (2 different versions) it begins the verifiacation process and ends with error not properly signed.

#3 http://goo.im/devs/s0updev/goomanager :mad:
installed the goo manager from market to obtain twrp as recommended by there site. when i tried to install
openrecoveryscript goo manager states there are no recoveries found for my device.

#4 http://www.carlorossi.com/ :silly:
drank a glass of wine to calm down

#5 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager
attemting to install recovery via rom manager it states cwm recovery not yet available for xt555c

#6 spent 3 days tagging and spamming irc networks to get dev help and so far i haven't gotten any
attention, seems as though you have to have a popular and up to date device to get any attention for
development. guess its way over due time to start developing!

#7 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1216982
tried the all in one defy beginner guide downgrade instructions (both methods) rsd lite states flash failed.
a message someting about boot loader wont let it install sbf.

Note: as stated in a previous post i do not have fastboot

Last edited:

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
I have made the mistake of installing an update on a un-researched device. in short JUST BECAUSE IT STATES IT HAS AN UPDATE WAIT UNTIL SOME ONE ELSE UPDATES AND COMPLAINS OF WHAT THE MANUFACTURER HAS PREVENTED YOU FROM DOING AND ALWAYS HAVE YOUR DEVICE IN HAND "GOOGLING" WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!
This has/will cause me to purchase almost any thing besides Motorola devices. they are way too complicated to work with once they catch on to the exploits and patch them. It shouldn't be this painful to root and rom a cheap device. as best i can tell there is only one or two devices out there that motorola is trying this "new" stunt with. there on to something demoralizing android and the opensource concept.

im off to find a new "non moto" device so when i brick this one some one else can have my money. moto i hope your hearing this

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have made the mistake of installing an update on a un-researched device. in short JUST BECAUSE IT STATES IT HAS AN UPDATE WAIT UNTIL SOME ONE ELSE UPDATES AND COMPLAINS OF WHAT THE MANUFACTURER HAS PREVENTED YOU FROM DOING AND ALWAYS HAVE YOUR DEVICE IN HAND "GOOGLING" WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!
This has/will cause me to purchase almost any thing besides Motorola devices. they are way too complicated to work with once they catch on to the exploits and patch them. It shouldn't be this painful to root and rom a cheap device. as best i can tell there is only one or two devices out there that motorola is trying this "new" stunt with. there on to something demoralizing android and the opensource concept.

im off to find a new "non moto" device so when i brick this one some one else can have my money. moto i hope your hearing this

You can't hardbrick a XT555c due to the locked BL. The chipset is different to the original Defy so it's useless for this phone. I suggest Sony as your next device as they are opensourced and friendly to developers.

Reactions: reemobeens19

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
You can't hardbrick a XT555c due to the locked BL. The chipset is different to the original Defy so it's useless for this phone. I suggest Sony as your next device as they are opensourced and friendly to developers.

@rootdefy320 thank you for the suggestion, i will definately keep this in mind when shopping as you have proven your opinion is valuable to me

:highfive:

Reactions: rootdefyxt320

ultravioletnanokitty

Jan 2, 2012
Denver, CO
Linux Root Script

hey guys, a friend recently gave me one of these to play around with (it was his old phone).

it would seem, unfortunately, that this phone is horribly neglected, as this appears to be the only root method available... not to mention the complete lack of custom recovery or rom support.

i'll see what we can do about that.

to get the ball rolling, here's a root script that doesn't require you to download a strange chinese program! there's not any windows support yet, as i'm a proud linux user and i haven't bothered to go dig up the adb exe for windows (or rewrite the script in batch). i'll get around to that fairly soon.

if you have any experience whatsoever rooting android devices, you shouldn't have any trouble with this.
instructions:

1. make sure usb debugging is enabled on your phone
  2. extract uvxtroot.zip and run defyxtroot.sh
  3. connect your phone and watch the magic happen :D
  4. open up superSU after the script completes just to make sure

i have confirmed that this script works for the xt555c (tracfone motorola defy xt), and it almost certainly works for xt556 and xt557 as well. comment and let me know how things go for you!

Attachments

• uvxtroot.zip
    2 MB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Reactions: Nick_73
hey guys, a friend recently gave me one of these to play around with (it was his old phone).

it would seem, unfortunately, that this phone is horribly neglected, as this appears to be the only root method available... not to mention the complete lack of custom recovery or rom support.

i'll see what we can do about that.

to get the ball rolling, here's a root script that doesn't require you to download a strange chinese program! there's not any windows support yet, as i'm a proud linux user and i haven't bothered to go dig up the adb exe for windows (or rewrite the script in batch). i'll get around to that fairly soon.

if you have any experience whatsoever rooting android devices, you shouldn't have any trouble with this.
instructions:

1. make sure usb debugging is enabled on your phone
  2. extract uvxtroot.zip and run defyxtroot.sh
  3. connect your phone and watch the magic happen :D
  4. open up superSU after the script completes just to make sure

i have confirmed that this script works for the xt555c (tracfone motorola defy xt), and it almost certainly works for xt556 and xt557 as well. comment and let me know how things go for you!

I have another method in my posts it works perfectly also

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm awaiting reply from one of the defy devs in hopes to get some one to help me make light of things. I was reading that apparently gingerbreak has been patched on a lot of devices as it its a security vulnerability. There are other people/devices with our dreaded "gingerbreak proof" issue. Either I/we figure it out, some one hears our cries for help or its exploited for another device and ported to ours using other exploits not found to date. Wish I had better news.

Developers please tell me if there its more info needed to start this rooting process. I'm sure finding testers won't be an issue a time goes by people will lay there defys to the side along with Motorola for devices we can do what we want with. Thanks in advance.

I have a green lens defy but I wish you get info you need as soon as possible. Have you tried Framaroot?

EDIT:Check This.it is from this thread, it may help you.
    DISCLAIMER: I NOR ANY ONE ELSE ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR DEVICE.
    THIS DID WORK FOR MY STRAITTALK XT555C USING .67D FIRMWARE. ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!

update
    I am rooted thanks to rootdefyxt320.... its a funny process as it seems i got an asian version of the
    app but it worked flawlessly. after poking around to guess the right button to click the device restarted and (pc-win7)
    showed asian language and big bold letters showed xt555c. clicked green buttonto "close" and unplugged device. i got a version
    of what looked like su.apk in an asian language. then get supersu from market to "replace su app" (in super su settings)
    reboot asian su gone and now need to move supersu to system app then all good!
    status of su proven by:

terminal emulator ($ + SU = #)
    for safety reasons you can know all went well by typing:
    $ su
    # reboot
    if the device reboots then you are good as power off is not a su command but reboot option is

titanium backup "status on splash screen confirmed su access" "removed facebook app" can some one upload the
    non-updated face book app so i can put it back and get a full blown firmware back up. as i had to confirm this working
    the quickes thing i could think of to verify was dumping facebook app

busy box "confirmed su is installed and busy box did update sucessfully"

supersu "kept disappearing, used link2sd to move superuser to system fixed this" During this time i still had su access
    but with the "lack" of supersu it would not prompt me for su access but would grant access automatically.
    dont know why but supersu would not show in titanium untill i did this.

I just have to say with so many things going on in life breaking my little phone from its cage has made me smile!
    thanks again rootdefyxt320!

If this has helped you please scroll down and hit the "thanks" button for user rootdefyxt320 as i did. wish they had a thanks a million button
    I wish you good luck and thank you for trying to give this great little phone some well deserved attention.

I'm awaiting reply from one of the defy devs in hopes to get some one to help me make light of things. I was
    reading that apparently gingerbreak has been patched on a lot of devices as it its a security vulnerability. There
    are other people/devices with our dreaded "gingerbreak proof" issue. Either I/we figure it out, some one hears
    our cries for help or its exploited for another device and ported to ours using other exploits not found to date.
    Wish I had better news.

Developers please tell me if there its more info needed to start this rooting process. I'm sure finding testers
    won't be an issue a time goes by people will lay there defys to the side along with Motorola for devices we can
    do what we want with. Thanks in advance.
    @reemobeens19 Please do the Canadian XT615 Root Method to root your phone.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44058727&postcount=92

If you want the English version of the Canadian XT615 root program, refer to this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45212970&postcount=102
    The Canadian XT615 Root Program

@reemobeens19 This Canadian XT615 Root program can root all Motorola Android Phones on Android 2.3.7 and it will install a Chinese SuperUser on your device.

How to check for root after using the root program. Please use cmd to type in these commands

Code:
    adb shell

Code:
    su

and it should give you a # sign in cmd.

After that you can update to another SuperUser program from the Play Store such as Superuser by ChainsDD, SuperSU by Chainfire or SuperUser by koush.