LG phone preinstalled alarm clock has strange permissions. What's going on?

Search This thread

oy-ster

Mar 5, 2014
Hey,
There is this LG LII optimus series phone, it was bought at a physical reputable store, haven't been changed whats so ever (not a single new program was added).

I've just noticed that the alarm clock app that came preinstalled has the following permissions:
-Your personall information- read call logs,read your contacts.
-Network communication-full network access.
-Phone calls- read phone status and identity.
-System tools-
-Network communications- view network communications, wifi connections.
-Development toos- test access to protected storage.
-Hardware controls-
-Run at start up.
- Modify system settings.

My initial reaction was "WTF?", but I'm probably missing something...

So, dear XDA pundits, what gives? Is it something legitimate or NSAFBICIAGCHQLEAOTHERLAWAGENCIESCRIMINALSMARKETERSPRIVATEINVESTIGATORSTINFOILHATPROFILIERS1984 much?

Thanks.

Last edited:

oy-ster

Mar 5, 2014
Thread burried itself deeper than my proctologist so I'm pulling it out.
UP. :).

oy-ster

Mar 5, 2014
Thank you for the response.
By 'normal' I pressume you mean that they are not spying/have the potential to spy on your phone? How do you know that?
Thx.

P.S A friend of mine told me yesterday about the affair with LG's spying tvs which was exposed a month or two ago...In my opinion 'creepy' wouldn't do justice in describing it.

neutrondev

Aug 20, 2013
Bucharest
Thank you for the response.
By 'normal' I pressume you mean that they are not spying/have the potential to spy on your phone? How do you know that?
Thx.

P.S A friend of mine told me yesterday about the affair with LG's spying tvs which was exposed a month or two ago...In my opinion 'creepy' wouldn't do justice in describing it.

If someone wants to spy on your phone they will do that by any means. Anyway every device and electronics you have around you can "spy". I would say do not worry about it.

oy-ster

Mar 5, 2014
LOL, thats not very reassuring. I was hoping more for an an answer along the lines of "I've checked the internet traffic for the app, and based on its size, frequency and destination it can only be used for so and so..." or "The program size is too small to contain enough commands for both spying and provide its functionality"... :)

I guess you have a point in the fact that if you are getting bummed you might as well relax and think of England, but... I don't know, I suppose I want to be sure first of what is actually happening, and if indeed it is something bad...Well at the very least maybe I can cry out.

Anyway, thank you! :)

If some other developer knows why is it like that, I would love to hear.