Galaxy Note colour rendering issue: started working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DrShkene

Jan 19, 2012
Screen ajuster is not bad but black is grey..no lag on video at all.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

I dont know for you but I have lag when using screen adjuster with MX Video player in SW mode for playing some 720p mkv files . In HW mode there is no lag but screen adjuster do not work only supercurio voodoo screen tuner helps.

So what i pointed in previous post is that we need (if there is no proper and complete solution) some similar app like screen adjuster that can work in HW mode in video players. That will save battery and eliminate lag in some HQ videos.

Also my Gnote is just rooted all other is on stock.

Inuit

Jan 3, 2007
I think the videoplayer that comes with the phone uses hw- accelaration. With this player i can use screen adjuster without problems.

Greetings

Inuit

DrShkene

Jan 19, 2012
I think the videoplayer that comes with the phone uses hw- accelaration. With this player i can use without problems.

Greetings

Inuit

I combine "native" in voodoo screen tuner whit -10 in screen adjuster but that only work in sw mode. (just native work in both sw/hw modes)

I'm not sure maybe I'm doing something wrong. Default video player have HW acceleration but it somehow bypass screen adjuster (like any other player i tried) and display true black instead of grayish one which cause unnatural black blocking .

Is it only case on my note?

Alien7

Oct 26, 2008
Bratislava
Hi supercurio,

I mailed you lots of times about this issue in the Galaxy S2. I believe it´s the same code so it will work on both phones. Hope, you will get it. Good luck

jdmwellington

Jan 7, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm getting a little lost. Could someone please confirm:

1) Green hue issue (which is very prominent on my device) - is likely to be a software issue and potentially fixed with supercurio app? which i'm more than happy to wait/pay for

2) Horizontal lines/grid patterns particularly visible on grey backgrounds is a hardware screen issue that software can not fix? I also have this on my device but does not bother me as much as the green hue

Thank you XDA!

S_X

Dec 27, 2011
I've user Supercurio's voodoo R&D, but with the native mode enabled i can see the gammatest.png up (down?) to 2. Then it's again straight black. Thanks for the improvemnet anyway. :)

Last edited:

mannysy

Mar 19, 2008
I thankfully managed to exchange my galaxy note after going back to the store and comparing it with two other notes... mine was much more noticeably green tinted at low brightness levels, even while looking at it straight on.

I still have black clipping but I think that is a software issue. This is a warning to others to try to get their notes replaced if there is heavy tinting!

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Hi guys,

1) Green hue issue (which is very prominent on my device) - is likely to be a software issue and potentially fixed with supercurio app? which i'm more than happy to wait/pay for

2) Horizontal lines/grid patterns particularly visible on grey backgrounds is a hardware screen issue that software can not fix? I also have this on my device but does not bother me as much as the green hue

Thank you XDA!

Both issues are hardware and cannot be fixed by software.

martcerv

Sep 21, 2010
Hi guys,

Thank you XDA!

Green hue issues are both hardware and software in parts. The software issue i remember from a while back when i used to play racing Sims on the PC when they were still fairly low spec, using 16bit graphics mode would boost performance but cause colour banding, the main thing I noticed was smoke that's grey in 32bit mode would tend to be greenish in 16bit mode.

That's the software part of the issue and the other part is that there isn't a great deal of consistency in oled displays in the note. A screen calibration app could help here after we could all manually set our calibration to get more accurate colour rendering. So even this i think is a combination of software and hardware but for the most part should be fixable.

The reason the green hue is more of an issue for some then others depends on the individual screens colour calibration which determine what colours end up rendering on their screens.

Hopefully supercurio can create a calibration app as i don't think a single preset calibration fix which works on his screen will necessarily look good on many others due to the overall screen inconsistencies.

The lines are software at times where some images will render properly at tinges in done apps but then show lines or banding in others. There are though some screens which also have hardware issues producing lines through the screen at all times.

Last edited:
Reactions: betoNL and VTEChump

BerreZ

Dec 31, 2007
Leuven
So the last two day I did exchange my Gnote two more times , for a total now of five exchanges and six Notes. All have been faulty , the third one was the most acceptable.I've seen yesterday another Gnote who seems not to have problems but couldn't be able to test it toroughly but gonna try to do it tomorrow.
I've also tried the different videos and pictures on a Galaxy IIs and didn't notice any clipping/pixelation in the test videos.Banding was more difficult to test but was less noticable in the XDA splash screen but this is also visible on a lcd screen so it's probably the application and was not all visible in angry birds.
So I think that it is not the Amoled technology on herself that is the problem here.

hobs0n

Jun 25, 2007
Muppsala
Sony Xperia Z3v
Huawei P20 Pro
First I want to thank you supercurio! You are indeed a great great soul to this community :)

I just bought VoodooLouder and its great! And I just discovered this thread and ofcourse tried the app and indeed its great! It is SO much better know! I donated a small amount too. I assume you will let us know if you need more to keep developing :)

DaveC1964

Nov 16, 2011
i make some foto and editing it in photoshop to show how "gammatest" should look

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/25194847.jpg/

Now that looks too dark. Everything past 6 is gone instead of 4. This means in video all shadow detail will be crushed and not seen at all. The Infuse is like that (well maybe worse) and it is not good. I agree that the stock setting is too bright and not ramped right, but yours is a bit too dark. Maybe something in between is better. It seems the jump from 9 to 8 is too much. Then again I am viewing on a computer LCD so that probably effects it.

A nice option would be an adjustable slider or something. If you are not in a pitch black room then you may need a different setting.

The first thing I do with TVs is shut off all of that contrast "enhancing", dynamic this or enhanced sharpness that etc. All those things do is screw up the image by making overly saturated, crush blacks and artificially "sharpen" by adding ringing around edges etc. DNIE is the devil!

jay_993

Nov 27, 2010
I honestly miss full voodoo color and sound from sgs1.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using XDA App

DaveC1964

Nov 16, 2011
The reason the green hue is more of an issue for some then others depends on the individual screens colour calibration which determine what colours end up rendering on their screens.

Hopefully supercurio can create a calibration app as i don't think a single preset calibration fix which works on his screen will necessarily look good on many others due to the overall screen inconsistencies.

Well all Notes are calibrated the same, as in they have a factory setting. I really doubt people are sitting there adjusting color hues on every screen. It is not that they are all calibrated different it is that they are all MADE slightly different. Since the RGB emmitters are deposited on the screens you will get some batches where one emmitter is a bit thicker, thinner etc. While the differences would be minniscule it is enough to tint the screen slightly. If green is a little thicker on a screen or blue/red a little thinner you get tint. Then you have variations in the electronics lik TFTs driving the pixels etc. Then there is the fact that blue is inherently weaker on OLEDs.

It is much easier for an LCD to do white because basically an LCD doing "white" is just turned off and letting all of the backlight through. Since OLEDs have to make white it is harder. This is why there should be a service menu somewhere like old CRT TVs had where OLED screens could be calibrated by user or service technician. It seems manufacturers are still in the LCD mindset. That and they may think that someone buying a cellphone will not be picky about PQ like a videophile would, and just not bother about it, which is unfortunate.

---------- Post added at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

ICS uses native 24bit decoding, GB only 16! So it should be better, if not solved, on ICS!
Therefore I can imagine that Samsung wont "waste" time in GB anymore...

That ain't it. I have an Infuse with *Froyo* and there is NO banding at all (tested with angry birds Rio title screen). BTW I compared A-B with the Note and the Note has severe banding, the old infuse is perfectly smooth. The Note is supposed to be all powerful and stuff but they nerfed the color rendering in apps! Makes no sense.

Last edited:

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Are you sure mate? I note super curio has released an application to resolve green hue issue successfully on other Samsung devices?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

We might be talking about a different green hue. What im referring to is the hue when you dont view the device straight up.

jdmwellington

Jan 7, 2012
We might be talking about a different green hue. What im referring to is the hue when you dont view the device straight up.

Thanks. I have that issue but additionally when the device is viewed front on there is still a green "tint". Tint is amplified considerably when device is viewed from and angle; it is always present to some degree.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

Ngambek2003

Nov 19, 2011
So I did get my note replaced.

On the bright side, no more black clipping on videos. The calculator app shows no banding. All this without supercurio fix. There's very little difference in native mode with supercurio's fix.

Now the downside, there's a faint but somewhat noticeable vertical narrow dark band going down the middle of the screen when viewing dark grey backgrounds.

Hmm..so I don't know whether to keep this one or get it replaced again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi dear Galaxy Note owners.

As many of you I'm not quite satisfied by Galaxy Note screen.
    Most of the feedback reveal sub-par results, despite we all know the potential here is huge (to say the least).

References:
    - [Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!
    - [Q] Video on Note

Worst offender being shadows rendering: my diagnostic: what's supposed to be dark is not so dark.. and then boom its black (ie black clipping)
    As a result color look dull, some UI elements show not quite as they're supposed to, and videos exhibit awful banding, blocking and ringing artifacts.

That's why I can announce here I started working on Galaxy Note screen color.

Don't expect immediate results as it's a complex topic and I'm working on other projects where users expect updates (like Voodoo LOUDER), but I wanted to give keep you updated.
    And after that.. there will be fixes and solutions.
    − be patient.
    Next step:
    Measurements with a colorimeter, at several brightness levels.
    Just to inform you I developed the technology I needed as driver while working on Voodoo Sound.

It means I'm one step closer for the new gen application.
    I reworked the color profile; On my device there's no green cast anymore now even at lowest brightness modes.

Epic.
    I hope it will translate well on other devices I well but for once I'm almost confident.