Does anyone still use this phone anymore??

Search This thread

droidXish

Sep 24, 2010
Where would be a good jumping off point for this phone? I have a friend who's stuck with it, and I've tried a few of the root guides but there's missing files, bad redirects, and just generally dated info. I just want to root it and probably put a slim rom, and by your review I'll probably go with Eclipse. I tried the zerg root but it threw an error that the phone was write protected. All help is greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

hey ou,
I basically checked out SD shadow's collection of links (in his sig), and some youtube videos from tomsgt123. Yeah, a lot of the links are outdated when paging through the forums. I think I used this to root: DX2Batchroot_2013.v2.exe
sorry can't post a link as a lurker with few posts of my own, but look for sd_shadow's sigs in posts and check through his links.

I've been pretty happy with this rom in terms of stability and improvements. there is no battery life improvement, so far as I can tell. I've only had one real unexpected shutdown/restart. (whereas I had a bunch before rooting and flashing.) I still get moments of slow responsiveness at times.

Reactions: ousoonerchase

dragonF6

Jan 6, 2014
My wife and I use them on Page Plus. Use Eclipse 2.3 on both. But am thinking of trying CM10 on mine.

Would be nice to have stable JB build

Ollonk

Aug 1, 2011
I got this phone for Christmas to use with Selectel. Just got CM9 beta working on it today. Seems pretty interesting. Not perfect, but hoping to make that my daily driver.

bregga

Dec 23, 2011
I have 2

I dont really use them for phones anymore just media devices so if you need anything tested ill give it a shot if I kill em i kill em no loss really im on a htc one now

dukkha2

Sep 5, 2012
just bought one today

Hi,

I'm a newbie. Just bought one today. It has an Android 2.2 (Froyo) OS on it. Do I have to root it to update to a new Android version ?. How about a new rom ?

Thanks for your help

purrr

Mar 6, 2014
I've had it about a year and finally upgraded

I'm on PP, so X2 is one of the best reasonable options, but stuck with Eclipse 2.3 because I didn't want to mess with sbf.
I've been more less content with it.

Just a few days ago, Mr. Squid came up with a workable Kitkat on VM OptimusV. I dragged mine out of the drawer and flashed it. Confident that I could activated it by going back to Froyo and re-flash Kitkat as a backup in case something goes wrong, I finally decided to upgrade my X2 to CM10. :D I'm excited to try those apps and features that weren't available before ICS! I had a tiny taste of it in the past with a dumb tablet and had been waiting to move away from no-frill GB despite its amazing stability and reliability.

The fact that the OV got Kitkat is incredible, isn't it?! Now I wish that something to help with RAM could be ported to our X2. Ugh, the locked bootloader....sigh. I plan on putting more mileage on my X2, though, and save on minutes as well, especially with a hope to upgrade to Kitkat in the near future, even though it looks like the battery might die first.:eek:

CCC0180

Mar 12, 2014
Charlotte
Lets do it!

I actually just got finished with a new computer set up today, im considering (don't hold this against me) getting 4.4 on this phone.
Are you still considering KK on the MDX2? I think this is a good phone for it. There are many users on Page Plus and other non contract services turning to this phone due to it being a 3g phone with good features. It has HDMI port, good resolution, fits in your pocket and is well made. I have one, my wife is on one, my brother and I have flashed some for friends. I was using CM10a3 but videos did not play online. I flashed Eclipse and was please with its attractiveness and functionality not to mention stability. It is the only ROM based on 2.3.5 and I think this makes all the difference.

I would love to get kk base on 2.3.5. This phone would rock. I plan on using it for a long time.

DQEight

Jun 20, 2013
Jesup
Just came back to it

Hard times with money and I took advantage of a deal with Kitty Wireless for a month of service for activation Free. So I'm using my X2 once again(plugged into an external battery because the internal one is bad). Flashed Eclipse.

NotQuiteANoob

Dec 10, 2013
New Orleans
I'm another "bought it for Tracfone" & would love a new ROM

Im just getting a poll. I might start developing roms for this again. Just post in the comments if i should. :laugh:

I've tried the eclipse and am currently on CM 10-20120113-unofficial-daytona. I'm really not happy with either. This CM 10 freezes a lot and the phone seems to suffer from lack of memory a lot.

millextra82

Jan 27, 2012
Macon, GA
Use for my device

I upgraded to the Moto X last October and haven't looked back. But this
phone served me very well. It was a very durable and feature-rich phone.
Recently, I've been thinking of doing something with it instead of it
sitting in the drawer. I has gotten laggy and could probably use a factory
reset. I could flash Eclipse as it seems many are using it with success. I
do have root access, but don't need to keep any of the data on it. My
thought is to use it as a "home phone" using my Google Voice number. Has
anyone done this?

Strife89

Apr 29, 2011
My current phone is a Razr M, but I have an X2 that still sees some minor usage. It's rooted, but sitting on an otherwise-stock 2.3.5.

It's serving as a Wi-Fi-only device now; I mostly use it as a spare camcorder and for a few games.

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
I've tried the eclipse and am currently on CM 10-20120113-unofficial-daytona. I'm really not happy with either. This CM 10 freezes a lot and the phone seems to suffer from lack of memory a lot.

I had the same problem with both as well. I'm currently running the final version of Molton and have found that the freezing and stuttering are rare instead of the norm.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

jemf1982

Mar 15, 2014
Memphis, TN
Moto E6
I use to goof around on. Need a new battery though. Plug it in to use it. Haven't rooted it yet. Just never got around to doing it.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Strife89

Apr 29, 2011
Finally got around to trying a custom ROM on the device. I picked Eclipse v2.3, since CM7+ seems to have issues with some features (FM radio, camcorder).

It works well enough that I've started using the phone a bit more often in lieu of draining my Razr's battery, although it still gets laggy at times. (Nowhere nearly as bad as stock did, though!)

josuearisty

Dec 4, 2010
Somewhere!
I use it as a media player device connected to my hdtv via hdmi and with a 64gb memory card.

I have 2 DX2 on with 32gb.

Enviado desde mi MB520 usando Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im just getting a poll. I might start developing roms for this again. Just post in the comments if i should. :laugh:
    Heck Yeah!

I have newer devices for work, but I still use my dx2 as my personal phone.

My DX2 rocks. CM7 if very fast...only 2 real issues are wifi dropping out sometimes and dialer lagging when dialing out a bit... Still a solid phone.
    yep, daily

Yes, using this phone daily. Just flashed it for the first time with eclipse 2.3 last night and I'm happy with the functionality so far.was hoping to see an improvement with battery life, and fix some issues I had with stick, and so far so good.
    Where would be a good jumping off point for this phone? I have a friend who's stuck with it, and I've tried a few of the root guides but there's missing files, bad redirects, and just generally dated info. I just want to root it and probably put a slim rom, and by your review I'll probably go with Eclipse. I tried the zerg root but it threw an error that the phone was write protected. All help is greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

hey ou,
    I basically checked out SD shadow's collection of links (in his sig), and some youtube videos from tomsgt123. Yeah, a lot of the links are outdated when paging through the forums. I think I used this to root: DX2Batchroot_2013.v2.exe
    sorry can't post a link as a lurker with few posts of my own, but look for sd_shadow's sigs in posts and check through his links.

I've been pretty happy with this rom in terms of stability and improvements. there is no battery life improvement, so far as I can tell. I've only had one real unexpected shutdown/restart. (whereas I had a bunch before rooting and flashing.) I still get moments of slow responsiveness at times.
    I'm another "bought it for Tracfone" & would love a new ROM