[OFICIAL OTA] Gingerbread 2.3.6!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all, I know that there are a couple of threads about the OTA already but they're all fragmented and not quite helpful, so I thought I'd pitch in.

Today an OTA of 2.3.6 was publicly released for the A2. Although it's not ICS, or even 2.3.7, it's still much more stable and faster. Here's some of the details:
    -Much improved camera app! (The original was pretty faulty)
    -Enhanced keyboard
    -Possibly the first AT&T bloatware to ever be useful, with visual voicemail and ---Syncing of texts/calls to the cloud
    -Improved Hotspot and Webtop
    -Fixes to any problems with haptic feedback
    -Call ending does not lag! (as much)
    -Uses MUCH less RAM
    For all the details check out this link.

At the moment no one has discovered a root protocol for our version of 2.3.6... i.e. it can't be rooted. I personally have tried flashing/reflashing the fxz, updating, and trying different exploits, all of which has failed. I doubt that we will find a way to root this 2.3.6 any time soon. However, the devs here are working hard at implementing 2.3.6 with root in their ROMs. (The latest Supercharged ROM is based off of 2.3.6!) If you want to have your device rooted with 2.3.6 and you're currently on 2.3.5 (rooted), follow these instructions:
    With a root explorer, navigate to /system/bin/ and edit the mount_ext3.sh file. If you used a 1-click root method, then add the following lines to the end of the file (if you manually rooted then you might want to omit the 1st/2nd line):
    Code:
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

To apply the update, go to Settings->About Phone->System update and it should prompt you to update. Make sure you're connected to wifi and then hit "OK". If you have heavily modified your phone then I suggest that you flash the fxz first, then root it, then apply the hack above, then update. Also, although the A2 has the ability to uninstall most bloatware without rooting, the update requires that ALL BLOATWARE MUST BE INSTALLED. If you uninstalled any bloatware then you will have to flash the fxz first.

NOTE: once you apply the update you will NEVER be able to flash the 2.3.5 fxz! You need to replace some files first! To flash the fxz, follow these directions:
    -Download this file: View attachment replace.zip
    -Unzip it and move all the the items in it to the stock fxz. You might get a warning about replacing files, just click OK. NOTE that Windows might not be able to handle the size of the fxz. I have 6 GB RAM but Windows still wasn't able to perform a drag-and-drop through the fxz's zip. I recommend that you just unzip the fxz and then put the files in. (You don't have to rezip it either, RSD Lite will still recognize it and will flash faster).
    -You should be able to use RSD Lite to flash the file.

Please note that this is not a support thread, it is an info/how-to thread... if you have any problems then make a thread about it, and be as detailed as possible.

Enjoy!
    Hi all, I know that there are a couple of threads about the OTA already but they're all fragmented and not quite helpful, so I thought I'd pitch in.

Today an OTA of 2.3.6 was publicly released for the A2. Although it's not ICS, or even 2.3.7, it's still much more stable and faster. Here's some of the details:
    -Much improved camera app! (The original was pretty faulty)
    -Enhanced keyboard
    -Possibly the first AT&T bloatware to ever be useful, with visual voicemail and ---Syncing of texts/calls to the cloud
    -Improved Hotspot and Webtop
    -Fixes to any problems with haptic feedback
    -Uses MUCH less RAM
    For all the details check out this link.

At the moment no one has discovered a root protocol for our version of 2.3.6... i.e. it can't be rooted. However, the devs at XDA are working hard at implementing 2.3.6 with root in their ROMs. If you want to have your device rooted with 2.3.6 and you're currently on 2.3.5 (rooted), follow these instructions:
    With a root explorer, navigate to /system/bin/ and edit the mount_ex3.sh file. Add these three lines to the end of it the file:
    Code:
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

To apply the update, go to Settings->About Phone->System update and it should prompt you to update. Make sure you're connected to wifi and then hit "OK". If you have heavily modified your phone then I suggest that you flash the fxz first, then root it, then apply the hack above, then update.

NOTE: once you apply the update you will have problems flashing the 2.3.5 fxz! If you want to flash the fxz then follow these instructions:
    First you need to get access of the downloaded OTA file. It should be somewhere in /cache if you have already downloaded it.
    -Replace the following files from the fxz with the files found in the OTA download: cdt.bin and device_tree.bin
    -Now edit the xml file found in the fxz. Delete the following lines:
    Code:
    <step operation="flash" partition="boot" filename="boot.img" MD5="8E9D7DD161180EC898E4F2BA5395B29E" />
    <step operation="flash" partition="recovery" filename="recovery.img" MD5="E0F3D8A778ECE612869E8200F0C21B26" />
    -You should be able to use RSD Lite to flash the file.

Enjoy!
    I recommend closing this thread so that is doesn't turn in to another OTA support thread.
    Does anybody have cdt.bin and device_tree.bin from 2.3.6? I think that my /cache was erased by FXZ so I can't pull it using ADB.

edit: Thanks So Much to Jim!!!!

Default Re: quick question

Originally Posted by guapinoy

Do you have cdt.bin, lbl, and device_tree.bin from 2.3.6? I upgraded with OTA update, lost root, and then tried to Flash 2.3.5 fastboot. It had a flash fail so now when it boots up it only goes to Fastboot, they only way is to do the recovery boot up (hold up and down) then choosing normal. I don't have root on my device is there anyway I can extract the OTA update using ADB?

Here you go:

cdt.bin:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45576654/cdt.bin

device_tree.bin:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45576654/device_tree.bin

lbl:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45576654/lbl

Jim

If you don't have dropbox, go sign up here:
    http://db.tt/SorT4X6q
    You will get an extra 250MB, and so will I.

Jim
    Good question . I am wondering too?

Sent from my MB865 using XDA App

The issue appears to be resolved with this update.
    Does this mean the SD card issue still persists in the update?
    i hope not. BUT.... this morning after powering off the phone to swap batteries, all of my contact pictures for my exchange contacts were gone (e.g., not associated with the contact). the pictures are still on my 16GB microSD card. this is the 3rd time this has happened. if the blah Exchange service worked right this would be an issue for me. FYI, this is with the Stock Odexed and rooted version of 2.3.6. *sigh*