[APP] Bookmarks Light - Beta testers needed. v1.2 (new version 2/2/11)

Search This thread

Ben74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2006
hello xda. i'm a new android developer, and this is my first android app. i've been doing web development for 14 years, and this is my second mobile phone app (first was for windows smartphone 5.0).

the idea is that i wanted a quick way to view and open my browser bookmarks. usually, one has to open the browser first, possibly wait for it to reload whatever page was last viewed, open the bookmarks view, and find your bookmark in an unsorted list.

my solution is a lightweight app that simply displays your browser bookmarks, allows you to sort them in various ways, lets you search by name, provides the ability to edit and delete them, and gives you the option to choose which browser to open them with. you can quickly open any bookmark with two finger presses. one to launch the app, and one to open the bookmark. it's nothing fancy, but it does save a little time.

the app shows your system bookmarks, so you are looking at and managing the same bookmark database that the default browser uses. any changes made in either this app or the browser, will be reflected in the other.

for a little icing on the cake, you can choose a background image for your bookmarks list. i like to use my home screen wallpaper from launcher pro.

if you find a bug, or the app crashes, please post a detailed description of what happened. reports like "it crashed" or "this sucks" don't help me. please try to reproduce the problem, and post the steps required to do so. also please state what device you're using, and what version of android you're running.

the app requires android 1.6 or above.

this app is licensed under this creative commons license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

changelog:

1.2 - share a link from any app with Bookmarks Light to create a new bookmark. you can also now share a link from within Bookmarks Light.
1.1 - add new bookmark feature
1.0 - release version. no code changes. now in Android Market!
0.9.3 - fixed force close on eclair (2.1). added move to sd ability for froyo.
0.9.2 - added tips dialog. license change. gingerbread compatibility. app renamed to Bookmarks Light.
0.9.1 - added "about" dialog, and changed names of tabs

Attachments

• bookmarks.jpg
    bookmarks.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 427
  • context_menu.png
    context_menu.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 356
  • browsers.png
    browsers.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 339
  • edit_bookmark.png
    edit_bookmark.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 327
  • options.jpg
    options.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 324
  • BookmarksLight_1.1.apk
    86.3 KB · Views: 54
  • BookmarksLight_1.2.apk
    87.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Captainkrtek

Retired Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle
Cool stuff! Will write it up for the XDA portal hopefully get you some testers :)

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
anyone? bueller? i need a few people to at least install it and confirm it works on some other devices before i release it on the android market.

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
So far working great. On Miui 12.03. Wonder if you could set default browser for each bookmark and note it next to each in the list? Nice job! Like the wp choice too.

thanks. glad to hear it's working. i uploaded a new version with minor tweaks. upgrading is unnecessary, unless you feel like it.

i did consider saving the choice of browser for each bookmark. that would require a separate database to store that data, since there is nowhere for it to go in the system bookmarks database. perhaps a feature for version 2.0.

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
Awesome! Downloaded. Going to try it on my SGS Vibrant running 2.2 JK6. Would love to see this app also available as a scrollable widget that could occupy a whole empty home screen if resized by Launcher Pro Plus and the like.

UPDATE: Tried all six menu options and all Tabs. Multiple browsers. Installed quickly without issue. App responds well and scrolls smoothly. No FCs here. Well done!

Last edited:

mynicksucks

Jul 20, 2010
Installed on MIUI 0.11.26, I really like it so far. All buttons are working.

Suggestions for upcoming versions:
-Folders
-Thumbnail view

//Edit Export/Import, yes

CoyoteTech

Dec 1, 2010
I would like to see the ability to save and restore my bookmarks.

That is one of the pains with doing a wipe when trying new ROMs - having to restore all the bookmarks. Of course, the saved bookmarks would have to be to an sdcard file or online since the wipe would get them if saved in app stores, right?

john

gab1972

Sep 12, 2009
Irmo, SC
I'm assuming this utilizes the bookmarks already on your phone? I sync my bookmarks. So, say I sync them using an app, will this still pick up my bookmarks?

torres76

Apr 27, 2010
Reading
Hey sweet thanks like that you can add a wallpaper, works great on galaxy s rommod v9.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    0.9.1 FC on About window. 0.9.3 - problem fixed.
    Also, I placed your app at one of Russian Android forums, maybe, we'll find translators into Russian so :)