[How-To] Retrieve your Original Serial Number

Search This thread

soshite

Feb 16, 2012
Layton
This was purely experimental for me, but it worked. And now I have my serial number back.

Pre-requisites:

1. You need CWM, running internal, or at least two microSD cards to be running from sd card.
2. Two MicroSD card required.
3. If you're using Windows you need some program that can perform disk dumps. I use Ubuntu... so... I don't know if the commands are similar in windows, sorry.
4. You'll need someone else' serial number. In other words, you'll need someone else' backup of the /rom partition. Check lavero.burgos unbrick topic. I think there is one on there.

This should be at least somewhat risk-free. Since it doesn't actually tinker with settings

Okay, so boot into internal cwm on your Nook. Make sure you have an sdcard in your nook. Then run adb:

Code:
$ adb start-server
$ adb devices
Make sure you see your device and it shows it in recovery mode.
Code:
$ adb shell
~ # mount sdcard
~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5.img
~ # exit
$ adb pull /sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5.img /path/to/file/mmcblk0p5.img
$ adb shell
~ # rm /sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5.img
~ # exit
At this point you insert your sdcard into your computer. Depending on what adapter you use, we need to make sure that you are going to use the correct device... so...
Code:
$ fdisk -l
Other than your Hard Disk's partitions (usually the first four), you should see a second one, either /dev/mmcblk0 or /dev/sdc depending on the adapter, but make sure it is the same size as your SD card, so you know which one you are going to be using. Once you verify which one is yours go ahead and umount it.
Code:
$ dd if=/path/to/file/mmcblk0p5.img of=/dev/mmcblk0
Wait for it to finish, shouldn't take longer than a half-minute, once it's done, Go ahead and mount it again, you should see the only partition as "rom", and two folders: devconf, and log.

Navigate to devconf, and there's a bunch of other files. Open "DeviceID" in vim or notepad or something. This is your Serial No., or where it should be anyway. On your nook, if you pop open the little MicroSD flap, you will see the device' serial number. Delete whats in that file, and type your Serial No. on there. Close and don't forget to save it. Now open "SerialNumber" and delete what's on there, and key in YOUR serial number. Close and save.

Umount your sdcard again. Delete the original mmcblk0p5 (/path/to/file/mmcblk0p5). Then jump into shell

Code:
$ dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/path/to/file/mmcblk0p5
$ adb push /path/to/file/mmcblk0p5 /sdcard/blk
$ adb shell
# ~ dd if=/sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
# ~ umount /sdcard
# ~ exit
In cwm go into advanced/reboot recovery. Let it reboot. And then when it's in cwm run "adb devices" and verify your serial number is there.

Thanks to Pete1612 and lavero.burgos ! Hopefully Pete1612 will test out this method too. This should be relatively easy, it's not hard. Just time consuming. -_-

Once again, let me know if I made any mistake

P

Pete1612

I will as soon as I get the I/O error figured out

Sent from a better galaxy

P

Pete1612

I took a different SD card and it worked.

Sent from a better galaxy

Eogram

Aug 8, 2010
Phoenix
@ae1990

1. Type reply
2. Verify that what you typed was correct
3. Submit

I think you forgot step 2.

Edit-
That came off ruder than intended, I would actually like to know what you were trying to say.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

chamnv

Feb 28, 2012
I think have a way:
1. Copy mmcblk0p5 from nook tablet fine and push to sdcard
2. Use dd command
dd if=/sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
3. In Cm7 ( boot sdcard) or stock rom have root, i use root exploer change serial in file devices id, serialnumber in rom/devconf.
I had changed my nook by this way. It success, it pass b&n :0

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
a much easier method... from any rooted nook with ADBD enabled.

Get either adb shell or a terminal and change to root user by issuing the "su" command.

copypasta this block
Code:
mkdir /data/local/mnt
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /data/local/mnt
Serial=`cat /data/local/mnt/devconf/SerialNumber`
echo "Your Nook Tablet Serial Number is: $Serial"

You will receive a message that says "Your Nook Tablet Serial Number is: ************"

OP is convoluted.

Demetris

Recognized Developer
Aug 15, 2008
Limassol

Get either adb shell or a terminal and change to root user by issuing the "su" command.

copypasta this block
Code:
mkdir /data/local/mnt

You will receive a message that says "Your Nook Tablet Serial Number is: ************"

OP is convoluted.

OP has made a guide to restore it.
Yours is a way to print it out *if* its there, anyone can read it under the sd card latch so i dont see your reasoning of this post.

Reactions: Semseddin

sailerph

Feb 5, 2012
Hello, Can you help a noob with this ? I am at a command prompt. Wrong serial # Recovery
now what exactly ? Thanks

Reactions: tobdaryl

ACL3

Dec 26, 2011
Hey I'm not sure if this is right, but can't you just lift up the tab where the sd card goes? It says SN: followed by a bunch of numbers.

When I needed a new charging cable, they asked for the serial number, and I just read it from there.

Sorry if this isn't what you guys are talking about, just thought I'd post.

Reactions: tobdaryl

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
Hey I'm not sure if this is right, but can't you just lift up the tab where the sd card goes? It says SN: followed by a bunch of numbers.

When I needed a new charging cable, they asked for the serial number, and I just read it from there.

Thanks

the thread is to recover a sn that is MIA or incorrect for the nook in use. Some have lost their sn (no longer in nt) or replace an incorrect sn with the correct sn.

blm71

Apr 8, 2009
What if you can't see your NOOK TABLET?

My problem here is I can't get my computer to see the NT. When I update the drivers, it brings it up as an android phone and under that says "Android Composite ADB Interface". Any help. I think I might have completely screwed this up.

Koneesha

Jan 4, 2011
I realize this thread is old but I've been trying to go through the process. My first question is how large does the mmcblk0p5 get when you dd it? I was using a 2gb SD and the file took up 2gb then. My second question is if anyone knows how to complete the final push back to the SD card in the nook. It begins to push but after some time the nook screen flashes and it seems to hang. Thanks in advance.

Koneesha

Jan 4, 2011
So would I just copy the file to the sdcard, then once that's done transfer the card back to the nook, and use the es explorer? I'm not quite sure how to do exactly what you stated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This was purely experimental for me, but it worked. And now I have my serial number back.

Pre-requisites:

1. You need CWM, running internal, or at least two microSD cards to be running from sd card.
    2. Two MicroSD card required.
    3. If you're using Windows you need some program that can perform disk dumps. I use Ubuntu... so... I don't know if the commands are similar in windows, sorry.
    4. You'll need someone else' serial number. In other words, you'll need someone else' backup of the /rom partition. Check lavero.burgos unbrick topic. I think there is one on there.

This should be at least somewhat risk-free. Since it doesn't actually tinker with settings

Okay, so boot into internal cwm on your Nook. Make sure you have an sdcard in your nook. Then run adb:

Code:
    $ adb start-server
    $ adb devices
    Make sure you see your device and it shows it in recovery mode.
    Code:
    $ adb shell
    ~ # mount sdcard
    ~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5.img
    ~ # exit
    $ adb pull /sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5.img /path/to/file/mmcblk0p5.img
    $ adb shell
    ~ # rm /sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5.img
    ~ # exit
    At this point you insert your sdcard into your computer. Depending on what adapter you use, we need to make sure that you are going to use the correct device... so...
    Code:
    $ fdisk -l
    Other than your Hard Disk's partitions (usually the first four), you should see a second one, either /dev/mmcblk0 or /dev/sdc depending on the adapter, but make sure it is the same size as your SD card, so you know which one you are going to be using. Once you verify which one is yours go ahead and umount it.
    Code:
    $ dd if=/path/to/file/mmcblk0p5.img of=/dev/mmcblk0
    Wait for it to finish, shouldn't take longer than a half-minute, once it's done, Go ahead and mount it again, you should see the only partition as "rom", and two folders: devconf, and log.

Navigate to devconf, and there's a bunch of other files. Open "DeviceID" in vim or notepad or something. This is your Serial No., or where it should be anyway. On your nook, if you pop open the little MicroSD flap, you will see the device' serial number. Delete whats in that file, and type your Serial No. on there. Close and don't forget to save it. Now open "SerialNumber" and delete what's on there, and key in YOUR serial number. Close and save.

Umount your sdcard again. Delete the original mmcblk0p5 (/path/to/file/mmcblk0p5). Then jump into shell

Code:
    $ dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/path/to/file/mmcblk0p5
    $ adb push /path/to/file/mmcblk0p5 /sdcard/blk
    $ adb shell
    # ~ dd if=/sdcard/blk/mmcblk0p5 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    # ~ umount /sdcard
    # ~ exit
    In cwm go into advanced/reboot recovery. Let it reboot. And then when it's in cwm run "adb devices" and verify your serial number is there.

Thanks to Pete1612 and lavero.burgos ! Hopefully Pete1612 will test out this method too. This should be relatively easy, it's not hard. Just time consuming. -_-

Once again, let me know if I made any mistake

copypasta this block
    Code:
    mkdir /data/local/mnt

OP is convoluted.

OP has made a guide to restore it.
    Yours is a way to print it out *if* its there, anyone can read it under the sd card latch so i dont see your reasoning of this post.
    Hello, Can you help a noob with this ? I am at a command prompt. Wrong serial # Recovery
    now what exactly ? Thanks