**Android On The Dash** Is Partly Working, But We Still Need Drivers

Search This thread

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
Okay so me and a few helpful people from the #htc-linux and #linwizard channels on freenode have built a version of linwizards kernel for the wizard to run on the excalibur! At first we had no framebuffer so no screen at all but thanks to tmzt, the framebuffer is fixed. Also myself, tmzt, and ali1234 made a (semi) working keymap. All the buttons work just a few tweaks need to be made.
**UPDATE**Thanks to some brilliant work by starwarrior we now can load android and play with it, the phone functions do not currently work, more details on post 76. Have fun.

I have included all you need to run the linwizard kernel on your excalibur. It is as safe as a soft reset; nothing permanant is done to your phone. You will have to remove the battery to reboot and get back to your normal windows enviroment.

Currently there is no support for the following and are a work in progress:
X
Sd card access
GSM usage (calls, sms, gprs)

Anyone with this type of experience or anyone who wants to help at all please email me at gentoon at gmail dot com.

Thanks to everyone working on the linwizard project and everyone who has helped do far.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gfme0e

To run all you have to do is extract run the haret executible and click run. You will see some text letting yo know its loading the kernel, then some garbae as the framebuffer adjusts... then a login screen just enter root and nothing for the password field. Then there you go a working linux enviroment!

Last edited:

gospeed.racer

Aug 19, 2007
I know little to nothing about Linux but I am always up for something new. I have a "spare" Excalibur- and in another week I will have 2 spares :) so if you need anything specific tested let me know

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
sorry about that forgot how long uploading over a gprs can take, im visiting family and have no pc, so i have been doing everything over my dash. I added a link to the first post.

goraps

Aug 31, 2007
Is it possible to see a screenshot of what it looks like on the excalibur.

Thanks

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
The main project is located at http://linwizard.sourceforge.net you can see some screenshots there of it working on the wizard. Of course our port doesnt support everything they have working on the wizard yet, but with some moe help we could.

Last edited:

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
let me know how i can help.

Well do you know anything about linux? I can get the kernel source uploaded. We need a better keymap first of all( we need \ mapped, also control and esc are mapped but dont seem to be working), then someone who knows something about X, it would be nice to have a GUI. Right now I would just like some people to test it on their excaliburs. Also all of the credit for the original kernel goes to the linwizard project. So thanks guys.

ali1234

Oct 14, 2008
Hi,

Here are the patched files for Excalibur. Remove the .txt extension and copy them over the corresponding files in linwizard kernel tree.

Attachments

• board-htcwizard.c.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 250
  • lcd_htcwizard.c.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 182

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
Im going to be adding a detailed to do list on the main page. Once i get some real developers rounded up we are going to make this an official project on sf.

mossimo53

Jul 22, 2008
hey..i have seen this day in my dreams..lol
anyways i have ubuntu on of my pc's and love it...so i don't know too much about linux but i would definitely be willing to help!

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
Has anyone installed and gotten a to a terminal succesfully besides me yet? I could use some more testers.

Glad to see someone wants to help on he keymap.. right now everything works just need to map things like \ ctrl esc... etc