car dock worth it?

Search This thread

GatorRuss

Dec 2, 2007
Fyi - the finger scanner also works "upside down." The carpal tunnel comment reminded me of that, as I was trying to twist around to unlock it also.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Wow, thanks for that thought. I have had rare instances in my car where my lock screen enables and I have to take the phone out of the dock to get it to unlock. I just reconfigured my prints; I did two swipes normal, and one swipe 'upside down'; I did this on both hands, and I just tested this and now it goes both ways.

:cool:

mastadon85

Apr 21, 2011
Hamilton
I just got the car dock. To be honest I am slightly disappointed... The car dock home screen app doesn't auto launch like advertised... Many ppl are having this issue and resort to manually launching it or a custom cardock via third party apps.
The atrix lacks customization with the settings. It seems it is capable of too much without letting you decide what you want it to do. For ex. my car has bluetooth so instead of the atrix playing music through the line out in car dock it uses bt audio. But you don't want to turn off bt cus you want calls to come through the bt...
the usb cable is only for power so when I want to use my cars usb port with my phone I need to swap usb cables. Some reason the car dock doesn't work with any other usb cable...
They tried to design the dock to work with thin cases... But come on, either make the dock adjustable to suit most cases or just make it fit the phone with out another thing for you lose...
I'll prob only use this thing for long drives when i need navigation otherwise I'm leaving my otterbox on and using bt audio or my fully funtional usb cable to listen to tunes...

Last edited:

GatorRuss

Dec 2, 2007
I just got the car dock. To be honest I am slightly disappointed... The car dock home screen app doesn't auto launch like advertised... Many ppl are having this issue and resort to manually launching it or a custom cardock via third party apps.
The atrix lacks customization with the settings. It seems it is capable of too much without letting you decide what you want it to do. For ex. my car has bluetooth so instead of the atrix playing music through the line out in car dock it uses bt audio. But you don't want to turn off bt cus you want calls to come through the bt...
the usb cable is only for power so when I want to use my cars usb port with my phone I need to swap usb cables. Some reason the car dock doesn't work with any other usb cable...
They tried to design the dock to work with thin cases... But come on, either make the dock adjustable to suit most cases or just make it fit the phone with out another thing for you lose...
I'll prob only use this thing for long drives when i need navigation otherwise I'm leaving my otterbox on and using bt audio or my fully funtional usb cable to listen to tunes...

That's really odd about the car dock not automatically launch, that would be annoying, I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

So with the bluetooth/line out issue, what exactly do you want to do?

Do you want the phone to use bluetooth, but the audio to use the line out? I'm sorry, for some reason your post made me go cross-eyed.

mastadon85

Apr 21, 2011
Hamilton
Well the thing is there is no way to tell it to use line out.. It automatically uses bt since it is paired with the car and connects to bt automatically, which is good for using the phone service on bt. But if you have the line out for the car dock you would want to use it since the audio quality would be better. But you can't since the phone is paired to the car with bt. For music anyways...

Plus... I don't know for sure but I don't think the usb that comes with the car dock works when connected straight to the phone... Ridiculous... So I have 2 usb cables in my car. 1 for charging and using phone as usb mass storage and another for when I want to you the car dock.

I an starting to think all I needed was just a plain mount and use a plain usb

silenzzzz

Sep 18, 2010
North Louisiana
i have used my otterbox belt clip to make a custom mount for my car .. just waiting for my next paycheck to get a peice of metal to bend for the mounting clip ... have trimmed away a spot for the finger scanner ... and removed the belt clip and smoothed the back down so i can mount it easier.

GatorRuss

Dec 2, 2007
Well the thing is there is no way to tell it to use line out.. It automatically uses bt since it is paired with the car and connects to bt automatically, which is good for using the phone service on bt. But if you have the line out for the car dock you would want to use it since the audio quality would be better. But you can't since the phone is paired to the car with bt. For music anyways...

Plus... I don't know for sure but I don't think the usb that comes with the car dock works when connected straight to the phone... Ridiculous... So I have 2 usb cables in my car. 1 for charging and using phone as usb mass storage and another for when I want to you the car dock.

I an starting to think all I needed was just a plain mount and use a plain usb

One thing to try, to not make the audio go through bluetooth is to turn on your bluetooth, go into the bluetooth settings and long press on your car's setup and choose 'options'. Then, uncheck the box for 'Media', this way, it shouldn't use your bluetooth for audio...hopefully. lol

As far as the 2 usb cable situation, I guess your car dock must be broke, or something. So you have the car dock that you use for navigation using one cable, and the other cable is for charging the phone and usb mass storage mode? So you're saying that your car dock doesn't charge your phone at all?

mastadon85

Apr 21, 2011
Hamilton
Well I mean I'm not going to remove my otterbox case to dock the phone for a 15 min drive and I can't use the car dock's usb without the cardock (is it suppose to function like a regular usb cable? Cus it doesn't). I'll check my bluetooth settings out and disable bluetooth audio... But then bt audio will not work when not docked right?

GatorRuss

Dec 2, 2007
Well I mean I'm not going to remove my otterbox case to dock the phone for a 15 min drive and I can't use the car dock's usb without the cardock (is it suppose to function like a regular usb cable? Cus it doesn't). I'll check my bluetooth settings out and disable bluetooth audio... But then bt audio will not work when not docked right?

Make sure you only disable the 'Media' so that you can still make calls, but you are correct, the bluetooth Media audio will not work if you want to stream music to your car whether it is docked, or un-docked.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's supposed to work like a regular USB cable, I only use the car dock for navigation and I use a bluetooth headset to make calls...my car doesn't have bluetooth/auxiliary input functionality.

mastadon85

Apr 21, 2011
Hamilton
Audio does not play out the supplied 3.5mm jack when docked and I cannot configure dock settings it says my phone is not docked... When clearly it is... Thx newegg... too bad no refunds, only RMA

FUNNY thing is when I first took it out of box and docked my phone the cardock app launched BUT after I got into my car and set it up plugged into the usb and 3.5mm out never worked and hasn't since. Even when just docking without the usb connected.

Last edited:

beazie0885

Jul 25, 2008
ATLantA
Can someone please tell me what the 3.5mm input jack right next to the usb is for... I feel retarded trying to figure this thing out. Im wondering if the supplied 3.5mm audio cable is supposed to plug into the jack that's on the usb cable, but then what is the other end supposed to plug into?

Heres my setup: I have an aftermarket head unit that had a usb jack for my ipod and it also has a 3.5mm AUX jack.

I have my cardock which is powered by the supplied usb cable for the cardock.

I have the supplied 3.5mm audio cable plugged into the AUX jack on my head unit and the other I have to physically plug into my phone everytime I dock it.

Should I have on end plugged into the plug on the usb cable and the other plugged into my AUX port?

I might have just answered my own question...

edit; plugging one end into AUX and the other end into the plug on the usb cable did not end up working with any audio over my car stereo... :confused:

Sent from my MB860

Last edited:

mastadon85

Apr 21, 2011
Hamilton
edit; plugging one end into AUX and the other end into the plug on the usb cable did not end up working with any audio over my car stereo... :confused:

Sent from my MB860

It will only work if your phone is in cardock mode. When in cardock mode you can change the phone audio settings specific to the cardock mode. I can only find this by making a shortcut on the home screen to dock settings. Ofcourse for me since my cardock wasn't working, when I tried to change settings it just told me my phone is not docked.

Btw the instructions for the dock are kinda ambiguous... I think the phone is suppose to use the usb data connections to output analog audio signal then allow u to use the 3.5mm at the end of the cable as opposed to the 3.5mm on your phone so you don't have 2 separate cables running down from your windshield.

That is probably why it says don't connect that usb to both your phone and a computer... Since it is not actually a usb cable at all. Big mistake by Motorola if you ask me. Should of just put a VPA at the end of the cable...

Last edited:

beazie0885

Jul 25, 2008
ATLantA
It will only work if your phone is in cardock mode. When in cardock mode you can change the phone audio settings specific to the cardock mode. I can only find this by making a shortcut on the home screen to dock settings. Ofcourse for me since my cardock wasn't working, when I tried to change settings it just told me my phone is not docked.

Btw the instructions for the dock are kinda ambiguous... I think the phone is suppose to use the usb data connections to output analog audio signal then allow u to use the 3.5mm at the end of the cable as opposed to the 3.5mm on your phone so you don't have 2 separate cables running down from your windshield.

That is probably why it says don't connect that usb to both your phone and a computer... Since it is not actually a usb cable at all. Big mistake by Motorola if you ask me. Should of just put a VPA at the end of the cable...

That would explain everything. I am waiting on a replacement dock from motorola because I am one of the lucky ones who got a bad dock. All makes sense now... Thanks!

Sent from my MB860

intimnasc

Apr 16, 2011
i'm thinking about getting the car dock. from att it's about 40 bucks. i do drive quite a bit and sometimes to places that i don't normally go so i need to use google maps and the battery just drains when using gps.

so you guys think it's worth it?

I have the car dock since I use my Atrix to replace my phone and my tomm tomm and I love it. It buffers the maps ahead of you so even if you run into areas lacking data your usually ok. I haven't tried it on a long trip yet but will be driving from Fort Worth to Price Utah July 4th and will bring some feedback back.

OSNPA

Apr 13, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I am loving the Google Navigation with free traffic support. It has been dead nuts accurate, so accurate I'm a little creeped out. Not just major roads- backroads, too.
The only thing- it won't really alert me to re-route to a faster path, but I'll get a little thumbnail in the lower right for re-routing options, so I guess that's their way of doing it.

I only experienced battery charging issues when streaming pandora and using gps concurrently. Battery temps have been very moderate. Guess I'm lucky.

beazie0885

Jul 25, 2008
ATLantA
Just a heads up for you all that have a at&t branded cardock that doesn't go into dock mode, I just got my motorola branded replacement dock in today and it has the motorola usb charger included at no extra cost. This is normally a $59.99 package so the trade off definitely worked in my favor.

Sent from my MB860

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
I don't understand something. I bought my car dock at my local corporate AT&T store for $39.99. It included all the cables. What is this other version people are talking about? It came in an AT&T branded box and clearly listed the USB and Audio cables in the "Package Includes:" area on the box.

beazie0885

Jul 25, 2008
ATLantA
I don't understand something. I bought my car dock at my local corporate AT&T store for $39.99. It included all the cables. What is this other version people are talking about? It came in an AT&T branded box and clearly listed the USB and Audio cables in the "Package Includes:" area on the box.

The motorola branded one also has a charger included in the box. that's the only difference. Not that big of a difference, but gay-t&t wants to charge 20+ for a charger.

Sent from my MB860

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fyi - the finger scanner also works "upside down." The carpal tunnel comment reminded me of that, as I was trying to twist around to unlock it also.

However... don't use the bulit in GPS that comes up with the dock it sucks balls just use the regular google nav

I actually like the built in one, I appreciate that it has large buttons for traffic and nav. I don't really see many other differences besides that.

Oh, and I also recommend the car dock. I like how easily and securely my phone docks into it. I have a 45 minute commute with traffic, so I use my phone alot for music, podcasting, and traffic updates.

I also have tasker and have a highly customized profile that runs when my phone is docked in the car dock. (Enable Bluetooth, Enable GPS, Disable WiFi, turn ringer to full, turn notifications to full, turn media to full, disable lock screen {so I can turn off the screen if it bothers me without having to swipe my finger again to turn it back on}, run screen filter at night to further dim the screen)
    If any of you aren't too thrilled with the built in Navigation with the Car dock home screen, check out this new Car Dock Launcher.

https://market.android.com/details?id=spinninghead.carhome&feature=search_result

I'm trying it now, and I like it alot. It has your speed in big numbers on the home screen, it shows the weather, what town you are in and the road that you are currently on. Plus, it has the capability of 18 shortcuts instead of 12 on the default one. Plus night mode looks pretty sweet.

:cool: