[Q] Dell Venue Pro 8 - Set "Sleep" to Never?

Search This thread

preciseman

Nov 11, 2013
Hi All,

I recently purchased a DVP8 and I love this thing. Problem is, it suffers from wifi issues in that once it goes to sleep, the wifi automatically goes to "limited" and I need to retoggle the wifi setting to get it connected. I've tried all kinds of fixes - uninstall windows updates and reinstalling drivers, but to no avail.

So I basically said screw it, and set "sleep mode" to never on the power management option, and no more wifi issues. Seems like the wifi doesn't reactive properly when coming out to sleep mode. My question is - will this damage the tablet in the long run? In terms of battery life, I would think the main factor is the screen on time. I can just turn the screen off with a tap of the power button. Is there really that big of a difference?

Thanks!

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Pretty sure on tablets like the DVP8, tapping Power is the same as letting it go into Sleep through inactivity (called "Connected Standby"). Most Atom tablets don't have a different sleep mode than that, not even just turning the screen off. I haven't checked on the DVP8 specifically, though; maybe it's different from the others...

It won't damage the tablet to stay on all the time, so long as you aren't running the battery all the way down. That does damage it, a bit.