S4 Active Softbricked when trying to go from NC9 to ML2

Search This thread

SebringTech

Feb 1, 2011
I have two rooted s4 actives on stock rooted 4.4.2. Had no problems until recently it's been every day I get a nagging message about an ota being available. I can't seem to disable the ota check or Knox on kit Kat. The ota is for my firmware, apparently I'm a version behind but the phones work fine so I really don't want to fix what isn't broken. Any way to block these messages and the forced reboots? The updates fail every time but it's really annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have two rooted s4 actives on stock rooted 4.2.2. Had no problems until recently it's been every day I get a nagging message about an ota being available. I can't seem to disable the ota check or Knox on kit Kat. The ota is for my firmware, apparently I'm a version behind but the phones work fine so I really don't want to fix what isn't broken. Any way to block these messages and the forced reboots? The updates fail every time but it's really annoying.

I think you mean you're on 4.4.2, maybe the NC9 firmware? If you are you have 2 options:
  1. Delete, freeze, or rename wssyncmldm.apk and wssyncmldm.odex to disable OTA updates
  2. Update to NE3 using the ML2 firmware and the NE3 OTA. You can re-root afterwards with towelroot, but make sure you back stuff up with Titanium Backup because the process will completely wipe your phone.

SebringTech

Feb 1, 2011
Yeah 4.4.2 typo fail. I'll check again but last time with my root file Explorer I could only find the .odex file.

SebringTech

Feb 1, 2011
I think you mean you're on 4.4.2, maybe the NC9 firmware? If you are you have 2 options:
  1. Delete, freeze, or rename wssyncmldm.apk and wssyncmldm.odex to disable OTA updates
  2. Update to NE3 using the ML2 firmware and the NE3 OTA. You can re-root afterwards with towelroot, but make sure you back stuff up with Titanium Backup because the process will completely wipe your phone.

I admit I'm fairly new to this phone. I know how to flash the ML2 firmware via ODIN. Now once that is sent to the phone, I leave it stock, if I go to settings -> More -> About Device -> Click "Software Update" Will that download the NE3 OTA? Both my phones are currently on NC9 firmware, I have no issues but my wife has some odd problems with her phone. So if I have to go to stock unrooted and reroot that's fine I'll do what I have to - I just want to make sure I know what I need to do before I start. :p

SebringTech

Feb 1, 2011
When trying to flash ML2 files ODIN fails every time. Is it possible to go from NC9 to ML2? I've installed the drivers from Samsung, it detects the phone in ODIN but it can't write to it. :(

Readout from ODIN 3.04:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> BL_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> AP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> CP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> CSC_ATT_I537ATTBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/004> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/004> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/004> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Now when my phone boots I get "Fimrware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select Recovery Mode in Kies and try again" making it a paperweight...

Last edited:

SebringTech

Feb 1, 2011
Also tried on another desktop same results. At this point I'm a bit desperate as it's my only phone.

SebringTech

Feb 1, 2011
Flash everything but the bootloader and you'll be fine. Since you're on 4.4.2, you can't downgrade the bootloader back to 4.3, that's why it's failing.

Phone successfully restored to ML2. I'm now in the process of downloading the ML2 to NE3 OTA File. :) Hoping that the update goes smoothly. I thank you very much for pointing out my error!

Last edited:

xdafly

Jul 3, 2010
SebringTech said:
Phone successfully restored to ML2. I'm now in the process of downloading the ML2 to NE3 OTA File. :) Hoping that the update goes smoothly....

if you don't mind posting, what was the hangup at your first attempt ? Too many files for Odin at first or something else ?

am trying to help out someone who appears to have the same problem as you did.

HerbGirl

Jun 7, 2012
VenCo.CA.
if you don't mind posting, what was the hangup at your first attempt ? Too many files for Odin at first or something else ?

I think he said it was the bootloader.
Flash everything but the bootloader and you'll be fine. Since you're on 4.4.2, you can't downgrade the bootloader back to 4.3, that's why it's failing.
I thank you very much for pointing out my error!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

SebringTech

Feb 1, 2011

It was the bootloader. When the phone is upgraded to 4.4.2 it's boot loader can't go down from that. So the bootloader from ML2 is incompatible. When I flashed the other three files it worked just fine! Then I applied the patch to get the phone to the latest firmware. It's a .cfg file you rename it to update.zip and put it on the sd card. boot into the stock recovery and install the update. I must admit a few glitches I was having are gone now since upgrading to the latest greatest, and Towelroot made it stupid easy to root.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts