HTC One M8 Dot View Case

Search This thread

lardigabi

May 6, 2009
Zurich
I just got it today and I absolutely love it! The only thing I don't like is, when you flip it back then its a little slippery! But thats all! It fits great and just looks great on the phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Randomjoel

Ajkowal

May 24, 2012
I have mixed feelings about it. When I bought my HTC One from Verizon, I was told that they weren't going to have the Dot View cases in stock for at least a month or two due to the high demand of them. Because of this, I picked up the Incipio Black Feather Case. Funny enough, the next day after buying I get a phone call from Verizon saying they got a single dot view case in being held for me. The case itself feels incredibly cheap. While it definitely feels like it can protect my screen, the backing of the case feels just like a cheap plastic. For the cost of the case, I was expecting something a little bit better in the build quality.

As for the case itself, its too gimmicky for me for the time being. It only works with default HTC apps. I use a different SMS app (Sliding Messenger Pro) and the Gmail app for my email. Neither of these are supported by the dot view case. I've tried googling around to see if there's a work around for these or a separate dot view app that allows these but have yet to find anything. The only thing I could use the case for was the time, answering phone calls, voice dialing, and changing my volume. I really wanted to be able to see my sms / email notifications on screen.

Im also not a fan of the folding case in general yet. I'm not used to the folding and I often text with one hand so it makes it rather awkward to try and hold the case open in order to text.

I don't know though.. if I could use my own SMS / Gmail apps with it instead of the default HTC ones, I might want to use it again. Until then, its going to sit on my desk unused.

Reactions: bad4life07

geoviper

Nov 16, 2007
Bloomfield, NJ
Dot View case Pros and Cons

I really want the Dot View case for this phone. Did anyone mange to get their hands on one and dicovered that they don't like it? Why don't youlike it and would you sell it?

I have been using the HTC Dot View case for about 2 weeks now. Here are some simple pros and cons

Pros:
Look...Seamless and perfect compliment to the M8
Feel...plastic and rubber that seems like a good build
Protection...Fully covers screen with rubber "dot" flap and plastic back wraps the back and corners of the metal body of the phone
Alerts...Easy to read 8 bit type text and icons (looks great in the dark)

Cons:
Price...I got mine for $50 at an AT&T retail store
Dust/lint...gets trapped in the "dots" find myself using a can of BlowOff keeping it clean
Alert Limitations...can only use the HTC apps with this case

I would recommend if you have $50 to blow. I personally don't like 3rd party accessories so willing to pay for the HTC branded products. I love my DotView case but trying to provide a unbiased opinion.

Randomjoel

Dec 19, 2013
Windsor, Ont
I just got mine in the mail a week ago. So far, I love it. I just hope that HTC releases updates to allow third party notifications like Gmail, Facebook, etc. I would also really like if they could integrate a music player controls as well. But all in all, it's a great accessory to such an amazing device.

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
Anyone notice a couple of holes are kind of shiny inside? Like something is on the plastic film that's in the holes. Anyone cleaned theirs yet? Would water and soap be ok?

skcitzo

Jan 20, 2013
salt lake
Anyone notice a couple of holes are kind of shiny inside? Like something is on the plastic film that's in the holes. Anyone cleaned theirs yet? Would water and soap be ok?
don't poke or remove the peices in the holes it keeps the stuff off it screen and I just wiped it down with some water it cleans up quite nicely I wouldn't use soap some soaps kill pixels so yah... No glass cleaner either my friend sprayed his with some trying to make it shinier it killed the Nfc tag in it

Last edited:

sageandonion

Jul 27, 2010
POCO M3 Pro / Redmi Note 10 5G
I think the idea behind the case is solid but its execution is flawed. Mine seems to loose its grip on the top corners as the plastic is too hard and needs a more grippy material. I've swapped 3 cases now. Its been mentioned before about the short hinge not letting the front sit flat on the back. I do love and find the display very useful. Hopefully a third party will be able to remedy the faults.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I think the idea behind the case is solid but its execution is flawed. Mine seems to loose its grip on the top corners as the plastic is too hard and needs a more grippy material. I've swapped 3 cases now. Its been mentioned before about the short hinge not letting the front sit flat on the back. I do love and find the display very useful. Hopefully a third party will be able to remedy the faults.

Just looked at my DotView and to be honest I can't notice any of those flaws. Had mine on awhile now and it'd still holding solid.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

zrcaswell

May 13, 2014
Cyanogenmod Compatability

If I flash CM11 Nightly on my Verizon M8 will the dot view case still be compatible?

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Overall disappointed. Sure it's a nice case and, feels good in the hand but the hinge on it makes it almost unusable for daily use. If you only open your phone a few times a day it's probably perfect but if you actually need to use the device totally annoying. Will return it.

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
I noticed the same shinny spots on mine. I'm not to worried about it but curious none the less... I clean mine with only water. and compressed air.

Yeah! I've tried compressed air and water but the 2 shiny holes remain. They always catch my eye when I glance down and I think I have a notification or something.

PaulHBK

Apr 28, 2011
Anyone have the "Orange" dot view case? If so, is it really orange, because the images online look more like it's red?

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
Next gen Dot View should have a flush foldover. Biggest detractor for me. Love it otherwise...only a matter of time before features are ported to aosp and more functions are added (gapps etc)

MrPeter1985

Jul 25, 2011
Jeffersonville
infotechguru.com
May or May not help, I noticed the phone has an Dot View app installed. That may all that is needed to get it working on another ROM. Seems to use a NPC chip. That is what I'm guess is detecting when the case is opened or closed. The HTC on the front lines up with the Small box on the inside.

I willing to sell mine too as holding it with one hand it not an option with this case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't forget to get the app update. You can choose a wallpaper now.

su3uryde.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

ume4abyn.jpg

I really want the Dot View case for this phone. Did anyone mange to get their hands on one and dicovered that they don't like it? Why don't youlike it and would you sell it?
    Could anyone post the new dot case apk. I am using custom ROM now.

Here U go! :p
    Just wondering if everybody would start sharing the various wallpapers that they are using for the dot view case? I'd love to use a star trek theme one, but I'm curious what you all are using.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2813555

There you have more stuff :)
    I just bought one and cover won't close all the way i have a privacy screen protector on does anyone's case cover on case stay flat

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Nope.. I think it's a design flaw.. I got mine the day they were released and it doesn't lay flat.. But if you're rooted.. I can recommend an app that enables alot more then the stock HTC abilities.. As in if you get a test message from any app. It will scroll the whole message across your screen.. Not just show the icon like HTC has it