Bad flash, now I can't call/SMS. Need to back to stock.

Search This thread

Dani84

Aug 28, 2014
Hey there, I flashed a ROM and apparently it messed up my M7 Sprint :( I can't call or receive SMS, also I can't install apps even from OTG cable, I think this ROM is broken. Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, I hope it's the latter. I can use the camera, WI-FI and play media files.

I have HBOOT 1.44 and my bootloader says TAMPERED and UNLOCKED.

How can I get back to stock from this stage? I'm super noob every bit of help will be appreciated :)

Danny201281

Hey there, I flashed a ROM and apparently it messed up my M7 Sprint :( I can't call or receive SMS, also I can't install apps even from OTG cable, I think this ROM is broken. Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, I hope it's the latter. I can use the camera, WI-FI and play media files.

I have HBOOT 1.44 and my bootloader says TAMPERED and UNLOCKED.

How can I get back to stock from this stage? I'm super noob every bit of help will be appreciated :)
Ok so sounds like your having a rough time. I will try my best for you ;).

First of all some more information please. Boot you phone into the bootloader and connect fastbootusb. Then in your Fastboot command line type.
Code:
fastboot getvar all
And post the output here. Please edit out your serial no. And imei no.

what Rom did you flash and which recovery are you using? Did you clean flash i.e perform a full wipe before flashing, or Dirty flash i.e flash the Rom without wiping anything?

If the phones booting it can't of done anything to serious so let's hope this is an easy fix ;)

Sent from my HTC One M7 ARHD 71.1 (Minus Purple tint) :D using TapaTalk

Reactions: Dani84

Dani84

Aug 28, 2014
uhm nothing, seems adb/fastboot is not working.

Im using Ubuntu 14.04... 64 bit.

p.s. in Windows 8.1 i connected it through this (Nocturnal ADB tool):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646453

I open the CMD and type adb devices and there it is HT35xxxxxxx. But when I type fastboot getvar all, it says waiting for device and is stuck there for 5+ minutes and nothing.

Last edited:

Danny201281

I open the CMD and type adb devices and there it is HT35xxxxxxx. But when I type fastboot getvar all, it says waiting for device and is stuck there for 5+ minutes and nothing.
Ah hA a Linux user nice :) to use Fastboot in linux all command must start sudo. So

sudo fastboot devices

;)

Dani84

Aug 28, 2014
Ah hA a Linux user nice :) to use Fastboot in linux all command must start sudo. So

sudo fastboot devices

;)

Oh true!!! :victory:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.14.3250.13
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT3xxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: 35xxxxxx
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP304
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4278mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Value too large for defined data type))
finished. total time: 5.042s

Danny201281

Oh true!!! :victory:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.14.3250.13
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT3xxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: 35xxxxxx
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP304
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4278mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
getvar:all FAILED (status read failed (Value too large for defined data type))
finished. total time: 5.042s
Your phone does not appear to be a Sprint m7. As they have product I'd m7wls

Yours has m7_ul so it is international version. If you flashed a Sprint Rom that would certainly explain your problem. Luckily your s-on so shouldn't have done to much damage.

What Rom did you flash and which recovery are you using?

Dani84

Aug 28, 2014
my recovery is TWRP 2.7.1.1

and the ROM is LiquidSmooth but it is horrible LOL and I can't flash new ROMs apparently.

how do I know if my ONE is sprint or at&t? I always assumed it was sprint as Im from Spain.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida

and the ROM is LiquidSmooth but it is horrible LOL and I can't flash new ROMs apparently.

how do I know if my ONE is sprint or at&t? I always assumed it was sprint as Im from Spain.

your phone is not Sprint or AT&T
you have

product: m7_ul <- this is a GSM with LTE
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP304 <- this says it's from Vodafone

So your looking for a RUU with VODAP in the CID ... all I see are some OTA files seems theirs no RUU

Last edited:

Danny201281

Your firmware also appears to be very old there is a reset zip i think will do the trick.

http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/guru_reset_m7_2-24-161-1-zip/

This reset zip should return you to stock so you take ota updates, then you can update to official kitkat Rom and firmware.

Reroot the phone and install a international based Rom. Stay away from TWRP 2.7.1.1 though you'll notice in your getvar version main is blank. That's caused by TWRP 2.7.1.1. Stick with TWRP 2.6.3.3 to avoid this happening again.

Last edited:

Danny201281

downloading time = 2hours LOL, no problem I have time.

so I can flash that even when bootloader says TAMPERED and UNLOCKED? i want to be sure im not bricking my phone haha.
Yes just flashes like a normal Rom from TWRP recovery, it will replace your custom recovery with stock and your Rom.

I think your firmware is probably still older than this reset.zip though. I'm not sure if that will cause a problem.

So you could also download this OTA extract the firmware from it and flash it manually to bring your firmware in line with the reset.zip
http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/ota_m7_..._p_release_325133_signedlqk8p6c09r7kmir2-zip/

That will require relocking the bootloader though but you can always unlock again after.

Reactions: Dani84 and clsA

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida

so I can flash that even when bootloader says TAMPERED and UNLOCKED? i want to be sure im not bricking my phone haha.

yeah the Guru_Reset requires unlocked bootloader and TWRP 2.6.3.3 custom recovery.

To take the over the air updates it's Important that you choose to install
stock recovery
and say no to root in the guru reset Aroma installer.

Good luck !!

Dani84

Aug 28, 2014
Thanks guys, both of you have been very kind and helpful :) I will try this and tell you tomorrow (its night in Spain).

Danny201281

Thanks guys, both of you have been very kind and helpful :) I will try this and tell you tomorrow (its night in Spain).

The firmware may indeed need updated but I'm not positive
Probably best to do it then in that case, better safe than sorry thanks.

Ok so hopefully this will tell you everything you need.

Download the ota file as well. Then open it on your pc and extract the firmware.zip from it and place it in your Fastboot folder. Then follow this small guide I put together.

Ok so the plan is to upgrade your software to complete Stock 2.24.161.1, Rom, recovery and firmware will all be on the same os version and unmolested stock condition. After which you will be able to update you phone with official ota updates.

Prepare the files, your pc and phone for the procedure. Rename the 2.24.161.1.zip to firmware.zip and place it in your Fastboot folder on your pc. Connect your phone to mass storage with usb and copy the reset.zip to your internal storage/sdcard.

Ok let's get started. Reboot your phone into recovery. And flash the reset.zip just like installing a custom Rom. Select install and choose the reset.zip. Once it's done your Rom, recovery and radio will be back to stock. (if you choose to install the radio, it's optional at this stage as it will be done with the firmware anyway.

Now we need to upgrade the firmware since the OTA update will expect to find version 2.24.161.1 but your firmware is older than that so the OTA may fail to install.

Reboot the phone to the bootloader and Connect fastbootusb. Now open your Fastboot command line and type

Code:
fastboot erase cache
Code:
fastboot oem lock
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU
<--- case sensitive.

The phone will reboot to a black screen with a Silver HTC LOGO. This is RUU mode. Now we're going to flash the firmware.

Code:
fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
The first flash will be short. It's just a preupdate preparing the hboot for the new firmware. So we need to do the same command again.
Code:
The second flash will take a little longer and this time it will flash the full firmware. The progress bar on the phone screen will not reach 100% this is normal as long as the command window has completed its output the flash is done.

Code:
You should now see your new firmware version 2.24.161.1 in the bootloader. And that's it :)

Reboot the phone and complete the Rom setup. You should start getting notifications for OTA updates almost immediately. If not just go to settings>about and check for updates to force it. Take all the OTA's up to the latest and you're done

Completely stock software. If you decide to reroot make a nandroid of the Stock Rom before you root it. And copy it to your pc. This way you can return to stock easily for future OTA updates ;)

Reactions: Dani84 and clsA

Dani84

Aug 28, 2014
It worked!!!!!!

Now im running my stock HTC One again. Such a lame Vodafone ROM with tons of bloatware but at least the phone is alive and Im happy with that.

tbh Im now scared of flashing a new ROM, i would like the android revolution or one of those flashy roms but I think im gonna wait some days before making a decission lol. Thanks everyone ;)

Reactions: Danny201281

Danny201281

It worked!!!!!!

Now im running my stock HTC One again. Such a lame Vodafone ROM with tons of bloatware but at least the phone is alive and Im happy with that.

tbh Im now scared of flashing a new ROM, i would like the android revolution or one of those flashy roms but I think im gonna wait some days before making a decission lol. Thanks everyone ;)
Well done m8, glad you got it sorted. You shouldn't be scared of flashing a new Rom though. The only thing that went wrong last time was you flashed a Rom for a different version of the M7.

As long as you stick with m7_ul roms you'll be fine but it's understandable you would want to take some time to process what happened. It's never fun thinking you bricked an expensive device such as the HTC one.

If you ever decide you want to try a Rom feel free to pm me for some guidance. For now relax and enjoy your working phone :) :highfive:

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

@Dani84 Hi m8 just seen your PM. Yeah ARHD is a good place to start, it's quite close to stock but with xposed support and sense 6 toolbox.

Very smooth reliable Rom with no major bugs that I know of. I've been using ARHD since version 43 and I just love it. Version 80.0 is on the Horizon (Android 4.4.3).

I think I warned you already about twrp but just incase make sure to flash twrp 2.6.3.3 to preserve your os information.

Download the Rom and drop it on your sd card. Reboot to recovery and flash the Rom from the install menu in twrp. Make sure to do a full data wipe in the aroma installer as your changing from stock to custom Rom.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Probably best to do it then in that case, better safe than sorry thanks.

Ok so hopefully this will tell you everything you need.

Download the ota file as well. Then open it on your pc and extract the firmware.zip from it and place it in your Fastboot folder. Then follow this small guide I put together.

Ok so the plan is to upgrade your software to complete Stock 2.24.161.1, Rom, recovery and firmware will all be on the same os version and unmolested stock condition. After which you will be able to update you phone with official ota updates.

Prepare the files, your pc and phone for the procedure. Rename the 2.24.161.1.zip to firmware.zip and place it in your Fastboot folder on your pc. Connect your phone to mass storage with usb and copy the reset.zip to your internal storage/sdcard.

Ok let's get started. Reboot your phone into recovery. And flash the reset.zip just like installing a custom Rom. Select install and choose the reset.zip. Once it's done your Rom, recovery and radio will be back to stock. (if you choose to install the radio, it's optional at this stage as it will be done with the firmware anyway.

Now we need to upgrade the firmware since the OTA update will expect to find version 2.24.161.1 but your firmware is older than that so the OTA may fail to install.

Reboot the phone to the bootloader and Connect fastbootusb. Now open your Fastboot command line and type

Code:
    fastboot erase cache
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    Code:

Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    <--- case sensitive.

The phone will reboot to a black screen with a Silver HTC LOGO. This is RUU mode. Now we're going to flash the firmware.

Code:
    The first flash will be short. It's just a preupdate preparing the hboot for the new firmware. So we need to do the same command again.
    Code:
    The second flash will take a little longer and this time it will flash the full firmware. The progress bar on the phone screen will not reach 100% this is normal as long as the command window has completed its output the flash is done.

Code:
    You should now see your new firmware version 2.24.161.1 in the bootloader. And that's it :)

Reboot the phone and complete the Rom setup. You should start getting notifications for OTA updates almost immediately. If not just go to settings>about and check for updates to force it. Take all the OTA's up to the latest and you're done

Completely stock software. If you decide to reroot make a nandroid of the Stock Rom before you root it. And copy it to your pc. This way you can return to stock easily for future OTA updates ;)

@clsA do you know about the firmware will he need to update it to match the reset or will it still update ok as is ?

your phone is not Sprint or AT&T
    you have

product: m7_ul <- this is a GSM with LTE
    (bootloader) cidnum: VODAP304 <- this says it's from Vodafone

So your looking for a RUU with VODAP in the CID ... all I see are some OTA files seems theirs no RUU

Yes just flashes like a normal Rom from TWRP recovery, it will replace your custom recovery with stock and your Rom.

I think your firmware is probably still older than this reset.zip though. I'm not sure if that will cause a problem.

So you could also download this OTA extract the firmware from it and flash it manually to bring your firmware in line with the reset.zip
    http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/ota_m7_..._p_release_325133_signedlqk8p6c09r7kmir2-zip/

That will require relocking the bootloader though but you can always unlock again after.

sudo fastboot devices

;)