M8 Verizon not able to be unlocked through HTC Dev

Search This thread

bloodiedwraith

Aug 22, 2008
New York
Looks like you can't unlock the bootloader through HTC Dev on the VZW M8 :( Just got mine and tried and get the dreaded Error 160 MID Not Allowed.

ericerk

Jun 21, 2010
Can't Believe big red would do this to us.

REALLY? This was the most predictable thing that Verizon could of done. Besides scribbling on the home power button and etching on the back,
"Dear consumers, we don't care..."

--------------------------
Verizon Rage.... |
--------------------------

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Not sure why anyone is suprised. Those of us with the M7 knew this month's ago. For the first day after the M7 was released you could use HTC DEV unlock then VZ made HTC lock that down for the M7.

I too hoped maybe VZ had not gotten to HTC yet for the M8 so I tried but no luck. Will need to wait for rumrunner or firewater to be updated to support the M8. It may take a while....

Reactions: comk4ver and trook

PhilPan

Not sure why anyone is suprised. Those of us with the M7 knew this month's ago. For the first day after the M7 was released you could use HTC DEV unlock then VZ made HTC lock that down for the M7.

I too hoped maybe VZ had not gotten to HTC yet for the M8 so I tried but no luck. Will need to wait for rumrunner or firewater to be updated to support the M8. It may take a while....

I'm coming from a Note 3 so I'm not familiar with the M7, did rumrunner or Firewater allow for running custom asop roms?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm coming from a Note 3 so I'm not familiar with the M7, did rumrunner or Firewater allow for running custom asop roms?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

Yes sir. Rumrunner gave you S-Off which is "Signature Off". Once that is set, you can flash custom recoveries and then custom rom's. It took months for the team to get this working and I know it did not work on 4.4.2. I think we are in for a long wait. If you bought this hoping you could get custom rom's you might want to reconsdier. If you like the phone and can live with it stock for a few months, it's a great device.

The M7 was the best phone I ever had and I swap phones a lot.

ocman40

Mar 26, 2011
This phone has an sd slot. The earlier one didn't. Easier to hack from what I remember

d1ez3

Mar 27, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Well what about root? With xposed, root alone can provide a lot of nice added functionality before the bootloader is figured out

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ya but it a still a shame cause in general that's not how are community works (as far as charging for exploits). When someone tries to charge for a jailbreak the Apple community goes absolutely nuts.

IOS exploits are not uncommonly sold, but generally not used for public jailbreaks. The when public ones are sold, the uproar is because someone has STOLEN another developers work, not because someone who has invested years decided they want reimbursement for their costs. Construction works don't go around building garages for people, for free all day, why should we invest a lot of money and time to give unlocks away? Any idea how much time goes into these things? Way more than it would take to build the garage I want.
    Why don't you try firewater s-off to see if the exploit still works? Please report back with your findings.

eidt: devs have said it could brick device, would not recommend doing it.

Yes sir. Rumrunner gave you S-Off which is "Signature Off". Once that is set, you can flash custom recoveries and then custom rom's. It took months for the team to get this working and I know it did not work on 4.4.2. I think we are in for a long wait. If you bought this hoping you could get custom rom's you might want to reconsdier. If you like the phone and can live with it stock for a few months, it's a great device.

The M7 was the best phone I ever had and I swap phones a lot.

S-OFF actually stands for Security Off :)
    Ya but it a still a shame cause in general that's not how are community works (as far as charging for exploits). When someone tries to charge for a jailbreak the Apple community goes absolutely nuts.

Its not really a shame at all. Its becoming harder and harder to find exploits, and these guys that did the developement for sunshine had multiple hard bricks on a 600+ dollar phone. I think the developers should charge for exploits in my opinion. People lately are taking advantage of the developers by not doing research and reading up before they attempt to play with their phone. There are alot of people that dont follow the rules on this forum, and it becomes a headache daily just to come onto this site. So a measly 25$ to support the hard work for the developers is no shame. Its supporting them for this great community that we have. Just be grateful. Eventually there will come a time where exploits will be no more. Flashing and rooting will become no more. Just be happy what you have and be grateful. Like I said 25$ to unlock for a 600$ phone is nothing compared to the headache these guys do for us.