[Guide][GBtoICS][T-Mobile] Instructions+Links -UPDATED 4/3/13

Search This thread

buycat

Nov 1, 2010
I have tried the same thing. I have also done this on other phones in the past but I just can't get this to work. It gets to HBOOT and examines the files and says No image found. Any help? Thanks.

sabotank

Jul 18, 2009
did you put in on the HTC storage partition or the "removable disc" one? i put it on the HTC one not paying attention (which is bad) and hboot couldn't find it. so i moved it over. also, just delete all the stuff after PH85IMG. you should not have to add .zip (or it might show up as PH85IMG.zip.zip)

buycat

Nov 1, 2010
I don't feel so bad anymore. I re-downloaded the files and it worked. My first download must've been bad.

dasudevil

Jan 16, 2010
Gilbert AZ
I don't feel so bad anymore. I re-downloaded the files and it worked. My first download must've been bad.

You are completely stock right? When you flashed this new file what new tmobile crap was added or removed?

I am completely stock and honestly a bit scared of rooting/ unlocking the phone but I really hate all this T-Mobile crap. Anyone in phx want some cash for a root... Lol

MadRex24

Apr 23, 2012
never lose faith my friend, just because S-off has been achieved doesn't meen a functioning port of Sense 4 is any less of a major PITA, look at the Desire HD/Inspire, they've taken the first steps but the port is still being ironed out

With ICS out now things will be a little bit easier for devs but its still gonna take some time

I hear ya. I'm trying to hang in there, but it's definitely getting harder by the day not to switch over to his little brother (Sensation 4g) soon.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4g using XDA

juwls305

Apr 25, 2010
Miami
I hear ya. I'm trying to hang in there, but it's definitely getting harder by the day not to switch over to his little brother (Sensation 4g) soon.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4g using XDA

i hear you.. But I always remind myself what I'll lose

1. 16gig Internal storage
2. Better Camera
3. Font Camera that Records 720p hd
4. Gig of ram
5. From 1.5 ghz to 1.2ghz (I know you can overclock that but still)
6. To me the display is brighter and colors look better compared to the sensation

lamenramen

Jul 19, 2011
i hear you.. But I always remind myself what I'll lose

1. 16gig Internal storage
2. Better Camera
3. Font Camera that Records 720p hd
4. Gig of ram
5. From 1.5 ghz to 1.2ghz (I know you can overclock that but still)
6. To me the display is brighter and colors look better compared to the sensation

Agreed. The Amaze's screen must be different than the Sensation's. It's definitely got more nits, and colors pop more (my personal preference) and there seems to be less glare (don't quote me on that one) b/c there is less distance between the actual screen and the covering glass. I was ready to buy the sensation b/c it's so much cheaper, but I could not get over how nice the screen on the Amaze is.
The biggest thing holding back the Amaze is that it's on T-mobile and its battery life.

G

glacierguy

This still the ics thread? :confused:

Sent from my HTC Ruby running Sense 3.6

Karmavore

Apr 24, 2012
Yes, I assume so. I was running stock. Updated, and haven't had any issues. Except Facebook won't sync into my contacts, but I found a workaround. Syncmypix. Also, soft key disable apps like Screen Filter won't work. Just disable automatic brightness. Another issue. 'No lock' does not work. I haven't found a suitable lock screen toggle yet, any ideas?

stefnuts

Jan 25, 2012
Regarding the official ICS release please...

Hi everyone,

Apparently everyone here other than me has a rooted phone.

I'm not interested in "leaks," I'm interested in the real deal.

Having said that, any official word about when ICS will be released now that the leaks are out?

Thanks,
stefnuts

G

glacierguy

Hi everyone,

Apparently everyone here other than me has a rooted phone.

I'm not interested in "leaks," I'm interested in the real deal.

Having said that, any official word about when ICS will be released now that the leaks are out?

Thanks,
stefnuts

None that I heard... Prolly within the next month or so though. The leak is legit though.

stefnuts

Jan 25, 2012
None that I heard... Prolly within the next month or so though. The leak is legit though.

Hi Glacierguy,

Well then Glacierguy, I was wondering:

If I download this leak and install it on my phone, Do I have to root the phone?

And IF I don't have to root then
:

IF I download this leak and then the "official" ICS update comes out,
What happens? Do I just get the OTA update and that is that?

I ask because of wanting to buy apps online primarily sir.

Thank you kindly,
stefnuts

jpwise15

Apr 27, 2010
YES!!!!

I just received my HTC Amaze today and loaded this ICS update with no issues! Thanks to everyone that posted this update and instructions on how to perform the update!

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
For anyone who wants a step by step hopefully fool proof method..

Maybe no one will need this, but maybe it will help someone looking to take the leap..
This is for the people who are anal, want to have a REAL step by step, or want to reduce the possibility of issues or a brick as much as possible.. This includes where to get each file, what to backup.. with more detail than most need. Anyways, maybe it will help someone.
Anything preceded by a * or (Just in case)/HIGHLY RECOMMENDED are exactly that- they can be skipped, but skipping steps leads to regrets.

(Just in case)before you do ANYTHING, make sure your battery is full for any part of the flashing process-you don't want it to die mid-flash..
1. Already I am assuming you have s-off, if not go here http://unlimited.io/ - read the directions by clicking the INSTRUCTIONS link, then read the instructions for our amaze - IF YOU AREN'T COMFORTABLE DOING THIS, don't go any further!
*Highly recommended - make a titanium backup- if you have an issue restoring the data part of your nandroid(as I did) even with the free version you can restore the app and settings you know and love.
*Highly recommended - First make nandroid backup - I am using 4ext-(just in case)When nandroid is done mount to phone to computer, copy it somewhere

2. (prepare what you need) While doing that download either the stock RUU or the one that doesn't flash the hboot and recovery partitions - also download the eng hboot from here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25227322&postcount=226 and rename that to ph85img.zip (It has instructions much like this)
*(Just in case)Also check the md5 of ALL of the files you plan to flash - this way you know there is nothing wrong with what you are going to flash, less likely to brick!
*(Just in case)I also copied all of my internal and external sd cards onto my pc- should do this every once in a while anyways- just in case.

3. Copy the eng hboot you just renamed to the external sd cards root(not system root)

4. Boot into bootloader, select bootloader, press up to update, restart and boot into the operating system.

5. Rename either the leaked RUU you downloaded or "[ROM] Stock TMOUS ICS that does not flash HBOOT or Recovery" to PH85IMG.zip - if you choose the rom you can skip the steps of flashing eng hboot and recovery again later.

6. Replace the ph85img.zip with the ruu you just renamed onto the external sdcard and reboot into bootloader and it will update just like last time, but will take a bit longer
*(Just in case)Pay attention to make sure that each part updates correctly- each should say OK afterwards - if one doesn't, knowing which will help you fix any issue. - Just saying for people who click things without checking
*If you chose the stock rue you will have to do the eng hboot again, then flash recovery again

7. Boot into the new ICS and drool on yourself and have fun!-- or if you want..
7a?. Flash the caprombeta or rom of choice if any are available

8. MAKE A NANDROID of whatever you decided to go with before you do anything else- that way you can return to full stock in case you regret any choice you make afterwards!
*Also, you can use recovery to bring back your data partition that you backed up in the beginning, I have heard people have had good results.. but it may be better in the long run to install each app you actually WANT with a titanium backup..

I really want to make a bible type thread that stays up to date and points to every resource someone new to the amaze would want-- something a bit more comprehensive than what has come before.

Last edited:
Reactions: yo2boy and theremix

theremix

Apr 24, 2010
Maybe no one will need this, but maybe it will help someone looking to take the leap..
This is for the people who are anal, want to have a REAL step by step, or want to reduce the possibility of issues or a brick as much as possible.. This includes where to get each file, what to backup.. with more detail than most need. Anyways, maybe it will help someone.
Anything preceded by a * or (Just in case)/HIGHLY RECOMMENDED are exactly that- they can be skipped, but skipping steps leads to regrets.

(Just in case)before you do ANYTHING, make sure your battery is full for any part of the flashing process-you don't want it to die mid-flash..
1. Already I am assuming you have s-off, if not go here http://unlimited.io/ - read the directions by clicking the INSTRUCTIONS link, then read the instructions for our amaze - IF YOU AREN'T COMFORTABLE DOING THIS, don't go any further!
*Highly recommended - make a titanium backup- if you have an issue restoring the data part of your nandroid(as I did) even with the free version you can restore the app and settings you know and love.
*Highly recommended - First make nandroid backup - I am using 4ext-(just in case)When nandroid is done mount to phone to computer, copy it somewhere

2. (prepare what you need) While doing that download either the stock RUU or the one that doesn't flash the hboot and recovery partitions - also download the eng hboot from here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25227322&postcount=226 and rename that to ph85img.zip (It has instructions much like this)
*(Just in case)Also check the md5 of ALL of the files you plan to flash - this way you know there is nothing wrong with what you are going to flash, less likely to brick!
*(Just in case)I also copied all of my internal and external sd cards onto my pc- should do this every once in a while anyways- just in case.

3. Copy the eng hboot you just renamed to the internal sd cards root(not system root)

4. Boot into bootloader, select bootloader, press up to update, restart and boot into the operating system.

5. Rename either the leaked RUU you downloaded or "[ROM] Stock TMOUS ICS that does not flash HBOOT or Recovery" to PH85IMG.zip - if you choose the rom you can skip the steps of flashing eng hboot and recovery again later.

6. Replace the ph85img.zip with the ruu you just renamed onto the sdcard and reboot into bootloader and it will update just like last time, but will take a bit longer
*(Just in case)Pay attention to make sure that each part updates correctly- each should say OK afterwards - if one doesn't, knowing which will help you fix any issue. - Just saying for people who click things without checking
*If you chose the stock rue you will have to do the eng hboot again, then flash recovery again
8. MAKE A NANDROID of whatever you decided to go with before you do anything else- that way you can return to full stock in case you regret any choice you make afterwards!
*Also, you can use recovery to bring back your data partition that you backed up in the beginning, I have heard people have had good results.. but it may be better in the long run to install each app you actually WANT with a titanium backup..

I really want to make a bible type thread that stays up to date and points to every resource someone new to the amaze would want-- something a bit more comprehensive than what has come before.

Or if I just have have a brand new Amaze with nothing touched ( Non-rooted, S-ON) do I just rename the RUU, copy to the root of my external SD card and boot into bootloader and that should do it for me, right? Any drawbacks to this method rather than root my phone first and obtain S-OFF and then follow your guide? Thanks!

mznatnat

Dec 10, 2011
Chicago, IL
You are completely stock right? When you flashed this new file what new tmobile crap was added or removed?

I am completely stock and honestly a bit scared of rooting/ unlocking the phone but I really hate all this T-Mobile crap. Anyone in phx want some cash for a root... Lol

I can coach you through the process over the phone for free :D
It took me a while to get it but I got it and just recently coached someone else into rooting their Amaze... Its not as hard as they make it out to be....

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Or if I just have have a brand new Amaze with nothing touched ( Non-rooted, S-ON) do I just rename the RUU, copy to the root of my external SD card and boot into bootloader and that should do it for me, right? Any drawbacks to this method rather than root my phone first and obtain S-OFF and then follow your guide? Thanks!

Actually, if you are non-rooted and s-on it is REALLY straight forward.. someone just posted how to do it http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1617663
You don't even have to have an unlocked bootloader to do it that way..
I still recommend you get s-off, unlocked bootloader, and a recovery on there if you want ANYTHING beyond stock- but if not that is the thread to read.

I can coach you through the process over the phone for free :D
It took me a while to get it but I got it and just recently coached someone else into rooting their Amaze... Its not as hard as they make it out to be....

You're right, it isn't as hard as it sounds, but if someone misses ONE critical step, they now have a pain in the ass. I always take every step to keep it from getting harder and make sure I have the tools in case I do run into problems..

S

sportsstar89

Hi Glacierguy,

Well then Glacierguy, I was wondering:

If I download this leak and install it on my phone, Do I have to root the phone?

And IF I don't have to root then
:

IF I download this leak and then the "official" ICS update comes out,
What happens? Do I just get the OTA update and that is that?

I ask because of wanting to buy apps online primarily sir.

Thank you kindly,
stefnuts

Dude you can buy apps online while being rooted being rooted should be a good choice because at least i know most if not all stock roms are terrible and filled with bloat at least by rooting a stock rom you can make it betetr

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Okay, I'm trying to figure out all the best changes for the build.prop, this is what I have so far:
I'm changing the values of these lines already in it:

ro.ril.enable.dtm = 1
ro.ril.gprsclass = 12
ro.ril.hsdpa.category = 28
ro.ril.hsupa.category = 7
ro.ril.hsxpa = 4

wifi.interface=tiwlan0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=300 -- this is just a preference, I don't want it to scan often..
ro.ril.enable.sdr=1
ro.ril.radio.svn=1

And then these are some I have added in(and so far no issues) though I have forgot what most of them do:
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
persist.adb.notify=0
ro.max.fling_velocity=4000
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=240
debug.sf.hw=1
persist.adb.notify=0
debug.performance.tuning=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100
ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=0
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
media.stagefright.enable-player=true
media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960

net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.umts=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.gprs=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.edge=4096,87380,256960,4096,16384,256960
media.stagefright.enable-http=true

ro.ril.rxd.mode.nv=3
ro.ril.disable.cpc=0
ro.config.lte=true
ro.config.ehrpd=true
ro.config.svlte1x=true
lpa.decode=true
ro.hdmi.enable=true
ro.ril.transmitpower=true
persist.thermal.monitor=true
ro.semc.xloud.supported=true
ro.service.swiqi.supported=true
persist.audio.fluence.mode=endfire
persist.audio.vr.enable=true
persist.service.xloud.enable=1

The only thing I would like to do to make this a daily driver is get battery percentage showing-- drives me crazy not having it.. but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing it, or want to try flashing the ICS.zip that changed the look before..

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

WellTrainedVC

Apr 25, 2012
Arvada, CO
ICS Upgrade to 4.0.3 using leaked ROM

Thank you Football for posting the file to update to the unofficial-official update.

After hours of consuming pages of posts in this forum as well as the HTC Community's forum,
and completing the download. I decided to accept the instructions from the HTC Community forums. There is no need to do any special prep work besides the usual backing up of data. This will erase any text messages stored on your internal memory as well as applications. Ignore the s off and s on or mod talk if and only if you own a stock T-Mobile Amaze 4G!!!

1. I have a stock T-Mobile Amaze 4G (this is important as the ROM is for T-Mobile)
2. Once download completes rename the file to PH85IMG (I am using Windows 7 to download thus I did not need to add the .zip to the file name).
3. Transfer file to your external SD!
4. Turn off phone
5. Boot phone into HBOOT (holding the volume down + power button, tapping power button)
6. The phone will automatically detect the ROM named PH85IMG.zip
7. Be patient! You will be asked if you would like to update. Select 'Yes'. Be patient!
8. Your phone will restart so leave it alone
9. After it restarts it will go through the file it detected unzipping and upgrading each file
10. Once this process is complete you will see a prompt to finish upgrade restart phone by hitting the power button (my phone shut off, and I had to manually power on again)
11. It will take a few moments to boot. Please take that time to panic or freak out.
12. After biting your nails you will be happily greeted by the same process as when you first received your phone (so be certain to have any e-mail addresses and passwords handy as well as that for any wireless networks you may use)
13. Last is the long process of reinstalling anything you may want so far as apps go
14. Enjoy the new interface, it is beautifully designed and works well

If you don't like my plain languages explanation, remark to your hearts content!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ****Disclaimer: As always, though there is little risk in doing this, if you turn your device into a building material (brick), blow it up, or it vanishes in thin air, I will not be responsible****

ICS is officially here :)... If you want ICS you must flash the RUU for your carrier. (All RUU's for ALL carriers are found here)
    !!There are certain steps to flashing this, so please read on!!

(Minor Update: Hasoons Toolkit, which is mentioned throughout this thread, is NO LONGER AVAILABLE through the links I've provided, Unless you are able to find an alternative link, you obviously won't be able to use the the toolkit in the steps its mentioned. NOT TO WORRY, the toolkit is NOT required. Just follow the directions they include how to do it with and without the toolkit.)

ATTENTION!! YOU MUST FLASH ICS RUU FIRST BEFORE YOU CAN FLASH A CUSTOM ICS ROM!!

The following steps using only a PH85IMG.zip (RUU) applies to TMOBILE devices only (unless you are s-off with super cid). The other carriers use a PH85IMG.zip and an .EXE that you run from your computer with your phone connected to the computer. i will try and add instructions

S-ON INSTUCTIONS (T-Mobile)

- First, i recommend downloading Hasoon's toolkit, as it will help in a few steps, and make life much easier, especially if you are new to this. Get it here!

1) Download the Latest T-Mobile RUU!.

2.) Rename the downloaded RUU file to ph85img.zip and then put that file on the ROOT of your External SD card. (Windows may add the .zip extension for you, so make sure it doesn't end up being named ph85img.zip.zip) (IF you do not have an sd card reader, Make sure to place the PH85img.zip on sd card BEFORE locking your bootloader in the next step)

3.) If your boot loader is Unlocked, you will need to Relock it. Easiest way is to use Hasoon's toolkit OR you can use adb command = fastboot oem lock.

4.) Now, with the ph85img on your external sd card and your bootloader locked, power on your phone by holding down "Power+VolumeDown" buttons. Continue to hold both buttons until the "bootloader" screen displayed.

5.) Once you are in the bootloader, It will prompt you to update. Select yes and let it run its course, It will do the rest for you. When it is done, you will now have stock ICS and can boot up your phone.

If you want to flash custom roms, root your phone, etc. continue with the following steps.

6.) Unlock bootloader again through http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/]HTC dev, or if you have unlocked the bootloader before and still have the original .bin file, you can use that one again (Hasoon's toolkit can assist in this)

7.) Flash 4ext recovery. (...Use Hasoon's toolkit to do this) OR Paid Version / Free Version **You must use 4ext as your recovery if you are S-ON) by Enabling "SMARTFLASH" in the 4ext recovery settings. This will allow the Kernel to get flashed or, if not enabled you will only get bootloops when flashing roms

8.) Finally, To regain root, Flash superuser package, through recovery (may take a couple flashes to work, including rebooting recovery and flashing again.)

You can now flash custom ics roms if you want. Make sure to always do a full wipe when flashing a different rom
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    S-OFF INSTRUCTIONS(T-Mobile)

1.)If you are already S-Off, you DO NOT need to go back to S-On and you DO NOT need to relock your bootloader.
    2.) Download the RUU and rename it PH85IMG.zip.
    3.) Place the PH85IMG.zip on the root of your External SD card.
    4.) Next, power on your phone by holding down "Power+VolumeDown." Continue to hold both buttons until the phone boots into the "Bootloader."
    5.) Once you are in the bootloader, It will prompt you to update. Select yes and let it run its course, It will do the rest for you. When it is done, you will now have stock ICS and can boot up your phone.

However, if you want to root again, you will need an ENG HBOOT or Juopunutbear's HBOOT flashed or else you won't be able to flash a recovery, etc.

ENG H-BOOT and Insteuctions found here.

S-OFF found here!
    Due to an abundance of ics threads, and after speaking with our MOD, it has been decided we need a thread for everything ics. Any links, questions, or anything regarding ICS is to be posted in this thread. PLEASE DO NOT CREATE ANY NEW THREADS REGARDING THIS TOPIC. thank you all for your cooperation, hopefully this will help.

Sent from my NRGized Amaze...
    via xda premium

I'm going to sticky this (for now at least) hopefully it will minimize the amount of new ICS threads.
    I'm running stock too, and from what I've noticed with Battery Mix, is that my phone now uses incredibly little power during idle/screen off. And phone calls also use less power now. But I've had wifi on, and it's been using a lot of power. I'm going to tweak my settings, but I'd definitely say it's more efficient now using cell and 4G.
    Wifi shouldn't use that much power unless it is a very weak signal, if even a decent signal you will use MUCH less battery staying connected to wifi than if you stay on 4g.
    I live in Jacksonville and I got fantastic reception before this-- now when I check battery details I get at most a constant yellow signal, without a big battery improvement.. I'm not complaining, but the biggest drain for others was weak signal, and mine is still just as good-- so no big difference.
    And as long as you don't have a bunch of apps keeping the phone out of deep sleep the battery should be equally good- perhaps it handles the kernel alarms differently to limit drain?

hey guys, i've done it too.
    Before i got a stock ROM with Unlocked Bootloader, S-ON and Rooted.
    Then i just use the beer tool. 20 times trying and... Got S-Off
    Next step i've just installed the beer's hboot directly from programm.
    After that i installed this rom "http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1616680&page=2" without super-cid or flashing eng hboot.
    And my Amaze 4G are alive! And i've saved my beer's hboot, recovery. Rooted.
    Did i missed something or now i got a good, stable phone work?

If you get rooted here are some apps you can definitely delete
    I think system tuner in the market is free, but it is a great app, makes backup/freezing/removing these files quick and easy-
    411 and more
    Access t-mobile
    Bonus apps
    Bookmark widget(actually *ANYTHING* that says widget, I deleted all)
    HTC Checkin Service(involved in reporting statistics you probably don't want to share that drains battery)
    More for me
    Movie editor
    Peep
    QXDM2SD(google it, not needed)
    Slacker Radio
    Stocks
    Stocks(it showed twice)
    t mobile mall
    T mobile video chat(it is qik in the market, can always redownload later)
    Telenav gps navigator
    Twitter(reinstall not root if you use it)
    Visual Voicemail
    Zinio

I deleted more than that, but those are some I backed up first..
    Just saying, easy way to get more zip from the rom, and less bloat to scroll thru..
    My cousin is a Manager at T-Mobile and at a meeting they said that they are trying Really hard to get it out before this month ends, If that does not Happen then First week of May will be the release
    For anyone who wants a step by step hopefully fool proof method..

3. Copy the eng hboot you just renamed to the external sd cards root(not system root)

6. Replace the ph85img.zip with the ruu you just renamed onto the external sdcard and reboot into bootloader and it will update just like last time, but will take a bit longer