[Q] Some aftermarket chargers will not work

Search This thread

skiddingus

Sep 12, 2011
Canton Ohio
I have a couple 2 amp built-in wall receptacle 5V usb chargers in my house. They have charged everything I have ever owned just fine including my S4 that I just upgraded to an S5. For some reason, these chargers will not charge the S5. My car chargers and every other charger I own, some of which are not Samsung, still charge the S5. Does anyone know why the 5V wall chargers will not work? I have tried different cables too. Everything works fine except these wall chargers. Why would the S5 refuse to charge from them?

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
Weird. My old s4 charger works properly

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

joekadavil

Apr 18, 2014
Galaxy S5 Not Charging with Micro USB

So does mine. Like I said above, only the built-in wall USB recptacles do not work and I can't figure out why. They are good 2 amp models that charge anything else that I can throw at them.

Hi,
I am purchased a T-Mobile Galaxy S5 yesterday. The supplied charger works fine. But, I have 6-8 aftermarket micro USB chargers that I purchased from Best Buy (Rocketfish) that do not work. The transformers on those are 2.4 Amp. The transformers on the supplied Samsung chargers are 2.0 Amp. Could this be the issue? Is there any hack to make my aftermarket chargers work?

Did you ever resolve your issue?

skiddingus

Sep 12, 2011
Canton Ohio
I've had a GS3, a GS4, and now a GS5. The 3 and 4 would charge with any USB charger. Only the charging rate would change. I did some experiments with an old cable and found that the thin wiring in the cable was the culprit of the slow charging. When you get a phone (or tablet) with a 2 amp capable charger, it will be supplied with a cable capable of carrying that much power without a large voltage drop. If you have a lightweight USB cable, the voltage drop in the cable itself will drop below the 4 volts needed at the phone for proper charging.

I have a couple of built-in wall outlet 2 amp capable USB chargers. They charged the S3, S4 and older tablets just fine. Now I have an S5 and just got a Samsung 10.1 pro tablet. Both refuse to charge from the universal 3 amp chargers. They will charge from only the original Samsung chargers or from my laptop. Samsung has changed something in their charging circuits recently. I think if they detect a non-samsung charger they just refuse to charge completely instead of just defaulting to a slower rate. Does anyone know if this is fact or a way I can mod my wall charger to work on the new Sammy devices? I don't mind slow charging.

russ18uk

Aug 1, 2011
If it is a change then it's not recent. I charge mine from my 3-year-old S2's charger just fine.

Seljeskogs

Sep 15, 2014
I have a couple 2 amp built-in wall receptacle 5V usb chargers in my house. They have charged everything I have ever owned just fine including my S4 that I just upgraded to an S5. For some reason, these chargers will not charge the S5. My car chargers and every other charger I own, some of which are not Samsung, still charge the S5. Does anyone know why the 5V wall chargers will not work? I have tried different cables too. Everything works fine except these wall chargers. Why would the S5 refuse to charge from them?

Just wondering if you ever found a fix for this.
I just got a couple of these new "built in" charging outlets. My outlets are 5VDC 3.0A and they work fine with every other device I have except the Samsung Galaxy S5. :(

my capdase dual charger is not working with galaxy s5

the same here... i have the capdase ampo r2 dual charger... it's able to charge my note 3 but note my note 10.1 2014 and my kid's tab 3 7.0... it has an output of 5v 3.1a (2.1a and 1a)... i'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the tablet coz it charges with i use their original samsung chargers...