[Q] Galaxy Nexus help

Search This thread

huzzug

Nov 25, 2012
Hi,
I require advice as to how i should proceed with my recent purchase blunder.

Background: I required a cell since my current one started acting up with frequent call drops and shut downs. I scoured my local craiglist and got a used Galaxy Nexus for ~$ 100. The guy said it wasn't rooted, and so i proceeded to purchase, but only realised now that the cell is infact rooted, with ClockworkMod (not well versed with droid) and some functions / options do not work as intended. I want to unroot it and i tried to follow this guide, but it gets stuck at

Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

saying waiting for device.

Not sure what to do as i'm fine even if i have to stay rooted, but i want the damn thing to work properly.

Also, if anyone can recommend how i go about installing ROM's

Regards,

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
Probably drivers. Just manually boot into bootloader.. And then flash the factory image.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Fastboot reboot-bootloader command will only work if you are already in the bootloader mode anyways...
As @mrgnex said, just do it manually, or use adb commands to boot into bootloader where THEN you use fastboot command.
To manually get into bootloader/fastboot mode; power down, then hold power button and volume up AND down all at same time for few seconds, it'll vibrate and you'll be in the bootloader mode where u can issue the fastboot commands.

huzzug

Nov 25, 2012
Ok. I tried to put the .tgz file onto the cell and tried to install the file from there which is ~250mb. But when i try to select installing from s/d card, it does not show up the file there. I am most cretain i'm doing something wrong, and so would like to know what it is ? Any other guide that could be a little easy to follow ??

Jan 28, 2014
You don't actually move the factory images onto your phone.

One of the sticky threads here is called "return to stock". That should guide you in the right direction.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

SpyroG921

Mar 25, 2011
Ok. I tried to put the .tgz file onto the cell and tried to install the file from there which is ~250mb. But when i try to select installing from s/d card, it does not show up the file there. I am most cretain i'm doing something wrong, and so would like to know what it is ? Any other guide that could be a little easy to follow ??

it's great that you're learning to do this Droid life has a good howto, just google "droidlife how to root galaxy nexus"

if worse comes to worse you can use this toolkit that does it for you, it's called wugfresh google "wugfresh nexus toolkit"

If you want to install ROMs you download the zip right on your device (make sure you get a ROM zip file AND a gapps zip file. They are linked in pretty much every OP for ROMs)
Downloading a ROM zip directly from/on device is easiest because then you do not have to transfer the file(s) over to your device in order to "flash"(aka install). Then all you do is go into recovery mode. Then go to install, then choose your ROM zip file. After that installs, then install gapps file the same way, always install gapps zip AFTER the rom zip.

If you use TWRP as your custom recovery you can "queue" your zip installs(choose rom zip and then you can choose to add another zip file and it will flash them both for ya)
And usually it is recommend to do a factory reset from recovery before you reboot into system. (Make sure to not wipe ALL /data...choose factory reset...wiping ALL /data will wipe /sdcard contents as well)

This all might seem foreign and difficult at first, but once you've done it once or twice(or more... you might become what we call a "crack flasher"-one who is constant changing ROM and kernel and setups lol, that's when it gets REALLY fun) so do not get discouraged. Especially if you don't understand the terminology we all use, you will become familiar with it quickly. And remember, Google is your best friend, almost any questions you might have will yield MANY helpful results when you put in a Google search, highly recommend that if using Google for trying to get useful info to put things like "how to install custom recovery "Galaxy Nexus" xda" to get the best info possible :D )

And do not be afraid to ask us either if you feel lost. It's easier to prevent an issue than to fix it(though fixing a borled Gnex is fairly easy with all the tools available here and elsewhere)

As for going back completely to stock, as mentioned above, to do that you aren't putting any files onto your device itself. You download them to PC(I use my laptop) and install from there using fastboot. When you download the factory img that is for your specific device and unzip it (I believe they still come compressed... If not ignore that part sorry!) You will see inside there is a script called "flash-all.sh" OR if using windows use the "flash-all.exe" that will automate the fastboot commands needed for a full factory stock restore of the device.

I could link you to posts containing useful how-tos and info and such, but right now I'm viewing forum via Tapatalk app on my device and really gonna be lazy and just say look at the "Sticky posts" in General, Q&A, and Development sections, those are most likely what I would link to you here.
After reading through some of those, if you need clarification of steps taken or something, come on back and let us know.

SolGoodGuy

Oct 31, 2013
Hi,
I require advice as to how i should proceed with my recent purchase blunder.

Background: I required a cell since my current one started acting up with frequent call drops and shut downs. I scoured my local craiglist and got a used Galaxy Nexus for ~$ 100. The guy said it wasn't rooted, and so i proceeded to purchase, but only realised now that the cell is infact rooted, with ClockworkMod (not well versed with droid) and some functions / options do not work as intended. I want to unroot it and i tried to follow this guide, but it gets stuck at

Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

saying waiting for device.

Not sure what to do as i'm fine even if i have to stay rooted, but i want the damn thing to work properly.

Also, if anyone can recommend how i go about installing ROM's

Regards,

Not sure getting the GN was a good idea even for $100, surely there must have been better options.

Not sure getting the GN was a good idea even for $100, surely there must have been better options.

Maybe on contract for that price yes.
But for $100 no contract, that's not bad for a Gnex.. considering I paid ~400 just over 1.5yrs ago lol. And a highly developed device at that.

MAYBE could have found another device for a little bit more in the 150-200 range that was newer. But 100aint bad for a gnex

SolGoodGuy

Oct 31, 2013
Maybe on contract for that price yes.
But for $100 no contract, that's not bad for a Gnex.. considering I paid ~400 just over 1.5yrs ago lol. And a highly developed device at that.

MAYBE could have found another device for a little bit more in the 150-200 range that was newer. But 100aint bad for a gnex

I see an optimus G on swappa for $115. Much better phone.

huzzug

Nov 25, 2012
Actually, I ain't in US guys. And whatever I found was a personal preference as I wanted this model and not any other.