[Q] My plans for reinstalling my phone - any pro tips?

Search This thread

Honko

Sep 1, 2011
Germany
Hello everyone,
so for the past 3 years I've been using CM7 on my HTC Desire Z (permanently rooted, S-OFF), but lately it got rather slow sometimes.
So I came to the conclusion: "Why not do a complete overhaul and do it right this time?" (when I've rooted it first, I didn't know about the whole wide wonderful world of xda ;) )

As a base for that, I currently have 4Ext Recovery 2.4.6b with CyanogenMod 7.2.0 (stable), the mentioned S-OFF, hboot 0.84.2000 (PC1011000) and Radio 26.03.02.26_M (information from bootloader)

I'm gonna start with a backup of my current ROM obviously, the question is: What's next?

1. My conclusion was that updating the bootloader would be the first step.
Will upgrading my bootloader (to, say, hboot 0.85.0013, still trying to find it) give me any advantages or will it be more of a hassle?

2. Next up imo would be to see, if I can somehow optimize the partitioning of my internal storage (I've read of people running into trouble when trying to flash gapps, some partition size was too small)
Is there any way to do that or would it have any useful effect except for the gapps-problem (which I only found on KitKat-ROM threads)

3. Third step would be to flash recovery (will probably be necessary after re-partitioning). I'll choose 4EXT again.

B]4.[/B] Next in line would be flashing my new ROM: Alterndromadus CM 10.1 (shouldn't be much of a problem when the rest, including works correctly I guess)

5. After I've done that, I'd like to flash a new kernel (battery+speed improvements). I'm not sure though if I do that before or after flashing the ROM.

6. Next up is installing Xposed Framework (with XPrivacy) and one kind of "supercharger" (this or this )
Here I'd like to ask if they somehow interfere with each other the bad way.

?. One thing that I have left out and don't really know where to put them are radios.
My current one 26.03.02.26_M works rather fine, but I think there's some more potential to it (be it reception or battery life) with an updated one (preferable the newest).
Are those carrier-specific or can I use them with any carrier whereever I go? (o2 in Germany, just so you know)

I know this is a lot I'm asking but maybe this could be a help for anyone who wants to optimize his phone's performance.
All contributions are greatly appreciated!
:angel:

Last edited:

HTCDreamOn

Jun 17, 2012
If you want a different kernel you need to flash it after flashing the ROM. Also the problem about internal storage and GApps: as long as you flash the right hboot you should be fine, basically you need to flash the Desire Z hboot which gives you a bigger system parition (because the Desire Z had Sense which was bigger than AOSP which came on the G2) and you'll be set. I won't tell you how to do everything here, just find the appropriate guides for what you want to do here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2348266 I personally wouldn't recommend any "performance" scripts but it's up to personal choice... if you think it makes your device better due to better multitasking or even just placebo then no-one's stopping you. Just be warned that I've discovered that most of the time those scripts make you think your device is faster just by disabling transition animations....

Last edited:
Reactions: Honko

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you want a different kernel you need to flash it after flashing the ROM. Also the problem about internal storage and GApps: as long as you flash the right hboot you should be fine, basically you need to flash the Desire Z hboot which gives you a bigger system parition (because the Desire Z had Sense which was bigger than AOSP which came on the G2) and you'll be set. I won't tell you how to do everything here, just find the appropriate guides for what you want to do here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2348266 I personally wouldn't recommend any "performance" scripts but it's up to personal choice... if you think it makes your device better due to better multitasking or even just placebo then no-one's stopping you. Just be warned that I've discovered that most of the time those scripts make you think your device is faster just by disabling transition animations....