Extra 100GB for HTC owners Google Drive

Search This thread

moemightie

Oct 13, 2011
I didn't get my email either so I first uninstalled drive update. Then Opened drive app and offer was there. I got extra 50gb for 2 years I wanted 100gb ? but it's free can't moan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1411343701492.jpg
    1411343701492.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 261

moemightie

Oct 13, 2011
I didn't get my email either so I first uninstalled drive update. Then Opened drive app and offer was there. I got extra 50gb for 2 years I wanted 100gb ? but it's free can't moan

Just checked properly and can see I have 115gb so received 100gb for free. Gonna start backing as much as I can up

timmytim

Jan 6, 2011
Phoenix
Quick chat with HTC support and got the 100GB. No questions asked.
I wasn't ware of this promotion, thanks OP!

S-off & ViperOne ROM.

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
I got 100gb from HTC after sending a quick email to HTC support.

I'm from Canada if anyone's curious. Unlocked bootloader.

cc999

Aug 4, 2011
ATT

I got 100gb from HTC after sending a quick email to HTC support.

I'm from Canada if anyone's curious. Unlocked bootloader.

I was told that ATT is not allowing this offer. Is this true?
HTC sent me the link, I clicked on it and clicked on redeem offer and
it tells me the offer has been redeemed already! WTF

CC

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
I was told that ATT is not allowing this offer. Is this true?
HTC sent me the link, I clicked on it and clicked on redeem offer and
it tells me the offer has been redeemed already! WTF

CC

Hi, sorry I'm from Canada, not sure about ATT.

Would you mind confirming how much space your google drive has? If it states 115gb, then you've already redeemed the offer.

rcharliesam

Sep 18, 2014
Htc support was useless for me. Relocked bootloader, then claimed offer, unlocked bootloader again. Easy.

syntropic

Mar 11, 2011
Chicago
www.neurozap.com
Htc support was useless for me. Relocked bootloader, then claimed offer, unlocked bootloader again. Easy.

All good here. S-Off, unlocked Bootloader, Viper One 2.4.

Locked the bootloader, ran Drive app and the upgrade popped straight up, then unlocked again.

Can I ask both of you how you relocked the bootloader? And when you claimed the offer, did you have a custom recovery installed? Had you disabled/frozen/deleted any system apps?

It seems there are a lot of people who have rooted their phone and tried to get the Drive promo... The unlocked bootloader is a key part of having the Drive app state it cannot verify the phones' status, whereupon it gives you a link to HTC's support.

The crucial question is the circumstances in which you can redeem the promo. There are many who have relocked the bootloader, and were still sent to HTC support. The promotion is officially not available if you have unlocked your bootloader...even if you relocked it (which is why I'm asking).

If you relock the bootloader using "fastboot oem lock", it will not be a factory default lock and you will be sent to HTC support. And the odds are HTC will not be of any help.

However, if you use an alternate method of locking the BL, it will work straight from the Drive app. Although I'm seriously surprised if you were able to get the offer while you had a custom recovery. I am trying to make a guide to help people get their phone to a state where they can redeem this offer if they rooted their phone (and unlocked the bootloader...especially if they used HTCDev to unlock it).

Last edited:

jshamlet

Aug 25, 2014
Can I ask how you relocked the bootloader? And when you claimed the offer, did you have a custom recovery installed?

Also, can you let me know anything else you did which would deviate from stock? It seems there are a lot of people who have rooted their phone and tried to get the Drive promo... The unlocked bootloader is a key part of having the Drive app state it cannot verify the phones' status, whereupon it gives you a link to HTC's support.

And if you try and relock the bootloader using "fastboot oem lock", it will not be a factory default lock. Based on the info you provide HTC, they will know your phone is ***RELOCKED*** and not ***LOCKED***. The promotion is officially not available if you have locked your bootloader. And there there are several reports that HTC won't budge on giving you a promo code when it determines you already unlocked your bootloader, even if it is currently locked.

I am trying to make a guide to help people get their phone to a state where they can redeem this offer if they rooted their phone (and unlocked the bootloader...especially if they used HTCDev to unlock it).

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708571

If you are S-off, you can lock, unlock, or relock by just writing to where that data is stored. The best part is, you don't trigger a data wipe in the process. IOW, once you are S-off, changing your lock state is almost as simple as changing your CID.

Reactions: rcharliesam

rcharliesam

Sep 18, 2014
Can I ask how you relocked the bootloader? And when you claimed the offer, did you have a custom recovery installed?

Also, can you let me know anything else you did which would deviate from stock? It seems there are a lot of people who have rooted their phone and tried to get the Drive promo... The unlocked bootloader is a key part of having the Drive app state it cannot verify the phones' status, whereupon it gives you a link to HTC's support.

And if you try and relock the bootloader using "fastboot oem lock", it will not be a factory default lock. Based on the info you provide HTC, they will know your phone is ***RELOCKED*** and not ***LOCKED***. The promotion is officially not available if you have unlocked your bootloader.

If you don't have a factory default lock, there there are several reports that HTC won't budge on giving you a promo code.

I am trying to make a guide to help people get their phone to a state where they can redeem this offer if they rooted their phone (and unlocked the bootloader...especially if they used HTCDev to unlock it).

I used the instructions in this thread -go to first post I was still s-off and at the time was using cwm recovery.

Last edited:

syntropic

Mar 11, 2011
Chicago
www.neurozap.com
I used the instructions in this thread this thread I was still s-off and at the time was using cwm recovery.

Ok... That's strange but I am still investigating this. I have just heard other people say that they couldn't get the Drive promo until they flashed the stock recovery (and essentially uprooted their phone). This is even if they locked their bootloader as described in that thread and elsewhere.

Yet it sounds like a few people have had custom recoveries and it didn't cause a problem.

rcharliesam

Sep 18, 2014
Ok... That's strange but I am still investigating this. I have just heard other people say that they couldn't get the Drive promo until they flashed the stock recovery (and essentially uprooted their phone). This is even if they locked their bootloader as described in that thread and elsewhere.

Yet it sounds like a few people have had custom recoveries and it didn't cause a problem.

It is possible that I did, I just really do not recall. It all would have been done in the same adb session in both locking and unlocking. Give it a try with just the boot loader first, lock boot loader, open drive app, take tour to claim the promo. See if it works that way. If not, flash the stock recovery.

Reactions: syntropic
Can I ask both of you how you relocked the bootloader? And when you claimed the offer, did you have a custom recovery installed? Had you disabled/frozen/deleted any system apps?

I went the same way as @jshamlet above i.e. used the instructions on this thread by @scotty1223 to lock and then unlock again.

Certainly don't have the stock recovery, I'm running TWRP 2.7.1.0. No system apps disabled/frozen/deleted.

I will admit to being surprised it worked, expected HTC to cross reference their database of requests to unlock the BL and deny on that.

Reactions: syntropic

syntropic

Mar 11, 2011
Chicago
www.neurozap.com
It is possible that I did, I just really do not recall. It all would have been done in the same adb session in both locking and unlocking. Give it a try with just the boot loader first, lock boot loader, open drive app, take tour to claim the promo. See if it works that way. If not, flash the stock recovery.

Yes... it worked with TWRP. I had already opened Drive before and so I had to "Take Product Tour" to get the screen to redeem the space... It offered 65GB, but then when I accepted it, it said I was getting an additional 50GB of storage. Very cool....!

I am posting a short guide in General and removing the section that instructed you to flash stock recovery.

Edit: Here is the guide which follows Scotty1223's methods...I just sequenced them with other info with a goal to get the Google Drive offer: Guide to redeeming Google Drive Storage Offer

Last edited:

downwiththebanksters

May 28, 2011
Taiwan
To add a wrinkle, I logged in from Taiwan (with an open ticket here asking to get drive and an unlocked BL) using tunnelbear to HTC US support, gave email, IMEI, and our florida number and name and got it. Easy, no questions on his part about bootloader.

microcris

Nov 21, 2006
Aveiro
It is true, that you will NOT get the storage, if you have unlocked the bootloader.
But, regardless of what the HTC Support tells you, theres an easy way to get it:

- Lock bootloader (it has to be "Locked", not "RElocked")
- Remove Tampered Flag
(Yes, it has to be BOTH)

Reboot, open google drive, accept your 50GB (or now 100GB) Storage. Then re-unlock bootloader.
I did that, and after i relocked it properly, i got the storage (but i didnt accepted it yet, will claim it the next weeks)

Link, how to do this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708571

It worked for me. HTC ONE M8. Lock bootloader, redeam, unlock bootloader and done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkseth

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
HTC Chat worked for me, less hassle than relocking bootloader and removing tamper flag, took about five minutes start to finish. Hardest part was typing in the IMEI. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If I never did the original 50gb, is there a way to get it now that I am s-off'd and rooted?

It is true, that you will NOT get the storage, if you have unlocked the bootloader.
    But, regardless of what the HTC Support tells you, theres an easy way to get it:

- Lock bootloader (it has to be "Locked", not "RElocked")
    - Remove Tampered Flag
    (Yes, it has to be BOTH)

Reboot, open google drive, accept your 50GB (or now 100GB) Storage. Then re-unlock bootloader.
    I did that, and after i relocked it properly, i got the storage (but i didnt accepted it yet, will claim it the next weeks)

Link, how to do this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708571
    I didnt get the email or notification but for anyone interested I went into setting > apps > drive and deleted the updated. When I launched google drive next it gave me the notification and added the 100gb to my account.

I also got my phone on release day so Ive had it for awhile and still qualified.
    I am guessing, this will work only for locked bootloaders?

Anyone who has got the storage already with unlocked bootloader?

got the email yesterday with insertcoin so it doesn't matter if custom Rom/root or not..also it may only works with the Option if you selected it when you got the device... (50gb free)
    I am guessing, this will work only for locked bootloaders?

Anyone who has got the storage already with unlocked bootloader?

The first day I bought the phone I unlocked,s-off and rooted. I forget to actived the GDrive offer before. This morning I went on the htc website
    and the support send me an email with the link to get the 100GB. Now I have 115GB ;)
    Lucky you. Didn't worked for me though.. :(:crying:

chat.png
    No need to give imei to them as they always try to tell it that way...it really doesn't if your boot loader is unlocked or not.. just try to contact another one and say your boot loader or so isn't unlocked or whatever, just complete stock but you are still not getting it !