sugarsync does not sync my desire with my laptop

Search This thread

Sjengie

Dec 21, 2003
Anybody tried this app?

I installed it fine on my home laptop and the client on my Desire.

Now I can sync folders with the so-called cloud online but only independently.
That is, I do not seem to be able to sync two folders between my laptop and desire directly.
This is so awkward.
All i want is whenever a file is changed on one side it is synced automatically on the other side. But it does not work like that .

any ideas ?

Th0rAnum

Feb 6, 2009
I use this app and I like it a lot since the new GUI update.
I think that for the sake of mobile traffic, there is no option to automatically sync a folder to the mobile device. You would always have to download the file, edit it and then upload it again. Have you tried putting a file in the "Magic Briefcase"? Maybe that would be a workaround. If I find some time, I'll try it out myself later and report back.

Other than that, you could maybe try another couldstorage service (e.g. Dropbox), but I'm not sure how it works there.

ps. sorry, since I'm a new user, I cannot post links to other sites, so just google for "dropbox android" :)

Sjengie

Dec 21, 2003
thx for your help but i tried the magic stuff but it is not that magic at all. Also tried several other clouds (zumo, dropbox, etc) as well but they all seem to miss what a user is really looking for = conveniently = automatically sync my device with my home PC (thru the cloud if need be).

It is all too complicated now.

All i want is to be always in sync between my home laptop and mobile device.
That should not be too difficult to do?

they do allow to sync between computers and to share folders with other PCs but why not sync the "same" folder between a mobile device and my home PC?

Lyrrad

Nov 16, 2006
London
I'm in the same boat

I can't believe that sugarsync or dropbox just don't do it. I only want to keep synced 1 excel file.

Th0rAnum

Feb 6, 2009
Well, like I said, maybe because this would generate more mobile traffic. You could send a message to the devs and ask them, maybe such a feature is planned. SugarSync just recently updated their GUI. Before that it was really, really bad!

Sjengie

Dec 21, 2003
I always inform the supplier in these cases and i received a ticket but i still wait for their reply ....

Sjengie

Dec 21, 2003
and this is what they replied:

//////////////

Hello .....,

You will not be able to add your HTC desire as a computer to sync data to. You can download files you need from your SugarSync account to your HTC mobile device and sync data from the HTC Desire mobile phone to the account but cannot setup syncing between the 2 device because not everyone have unlimited data plan.

Regards,
SugarSync Customer Care

///////////////

Well i think this answer is just rubbish ....
Why not offer it as an option, btw many apps warn about the cost of data transfer ....

pitty, i have removed it ....

Lyrrad

Nov 16, 2006
London
and this is what they replied:

//////////////

Hello .....,

You will not be able to add your HTC desire as a computer to sync data to. You can download files you need from your SugarSync account to your HTC mobile device and sync data from the HTC Desire mobile phone to the account but cannot setup syncing between the 2 device because not everyone have unlimited data plan.

Regards,
SugarSync Customer Care

///////////////

Well i think this answer is just rubbish ....
Why not offer it as an option, btw many apps warn about the cost of data transfer ....

pitty, i have removed it ....

I'm not suprised. I AM doing what you are looking to do using Sugarsync and [ViceVersa Pro VV Engine combination]. This combination costs about $60 but I already had it.

If you use the not so Magic Briefcase that sugarsync supply and add files/folders from your PC/laptop through that what happens is that those files/folders are duplicated in USER/USER_NAME/MYDOCUMENTS/MAGIC BRIEFCASE on your PC.

Those files will be available on your Desire through magic briefcase. When you edit a file on your Desire, after you close that file you will told to upload it as it has changed.

On your PC, the relevant file in USER/USER_NAME/MYDOCUMENTS/MAGIC BRIEFCASE will have been updated.

I now use ViceVersa Pro to ensure that the 2 versions of the file on my PC are kept in sync, and VV engine does the task every 20 mins.

Hopefully I have explained how I do this in a straight foward fashion beacuse it seems to work flawlessly. Sugarsync does 75% of the job but just does not sync the 2 versions on your PC.

The key is to examine USER/USER_NAME/MYDOCUMENTS/MAGIC BRIEFCASE

Hope this helps.

Sjengie

Dec 21, 2003
@lyrrad

thx, nice idea, but bit complicated though, with a risk of duplicates.
nevertheless i will give it a try as i already use goodsync to sync my home network
I will now add these two folders and see how it goes.

cheerio

Lyrrad

Nov 16, 2006
London
@lyrrad

thx, nice idea, but bit complicated though, with a risk of duplicates.
nevertheless i will give it a try as i already use goodsync to sync my home network
I will now add these two folders and see how it goes.

cheerio

For me the only complication was the setup, and that was far less painful than tring dropbox/sugarsync and zumo and finding out that things just don't work as advertised.. My way seems to be 100% okay, and I have not experienced any duplicates YET. The only thing I now have to do is to upload the file from my Desire when asked. It just works. Let me know how you get on, just in case I'm overlooking something.

Last edited: