Votes: 234 56.8%
  • Nope.

Votes: 178 43.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

SuperAce609

Oct 24, 2011
Bani, Dominican Republic
Disclaimer; This does not damage your phone at all or fry/mess up your cpu. On the contrary, it helps it by not running at full capacity all the time resulting in less stress and increased battery.

This method works universally for any Android phone you're using. But you'll need ROOT for Set CPU.

IMPORTANT: The newer versions of SetCPU might prevent your phone from entering deep sleep. Download version 2.24 from the following link which is the one with no problems and completely works 100%.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419

The Ace sucks in battery life. We all know that. And on 3G? Don't even mention it. But here's a fix, ever tried Under clocking instead of Over clocking?

Someone brought it up on a thread a couple of days ago and I have to spread the word, that works wonders. Got my Ace running on 245 min and 806 max and a different Screen Off profile. And now from the morning till 6PM in the afternoon, its just 61% AND recorded a 7 minute video/took pictures.

Battery was the only issue I had with my Ace. But now that its fixed, I love it :D

When screen is on:

MAX 806
MIN 245
Ondemand governor
(This governor bumps up to max when needed but spends most time on the min freq. Best battery saver.)

When screen is off:

MAX 320
MIN 122

This way, you have a beast quick phone when you're using it, and the best battery saver when you're not!

This is what CPU spy should look like when you're done:

attachment.php

NOTE: Turn off Autosync from the settings. It's only used to sync your gmail and contacts and such. You can manually sync when you add a new contact and since I don't use gmail, I refresh manually whenever I do. 3G is the worst battery killer so this will help a lot.

SetCPU: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419

Specific instructions for those that can't get it to work!:
On SetCPU:
Click Add profile
Where it says Profile, select it and tap "Screen Off"
Set the frequencies you want in use while screen is off (If you want just one frecuency, put both sliders on the same number)
Set priority (in case you have other profiles, otherwise don't bother)
Select governor (Won't really matter since cpu is gonna be running at 1 frecuency)
Tap save
Go back to Profiles tab at the top, then tap Enable at the top left to make the profiles work.

For a list of most governors detailed; check out this thread! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242323

To check if its all working, install CPU spy from the market:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5idmFsb3Nlay5jcHVzcHkiXQ..

Battery Calibration

1. Turn your phone off
2. Leave charging over night
3. Turn it on
4. Leave it charging for half an hour
5. Download this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result
6. Open it and press calibrate battery
7. Discharge your phone down to 0% during the day
8. Charge back up to 100% NON-STOP.

This is to make sure you're using your battery at 100%. Only do this after you flash a new rom.

The worst battery killer is 3G itself. No matter how much you try to optimize battery and underclock, if you have 3G on, you're gonna have a bad time. MAKE SURE Autosync is disabled.

Thanks to QNBT for the AutoSync off and new profile settings hint!

Attachments

• SC20121012-113700.png
    SC20121012-113700.png
    29 KB · Views: 25,781
Last edited:

tyraelasd

Nov 28, 2010
Concepcion
Hey dude I may try that tip, but I wanted to know about the governor that you are using, is that one a battery saver?, and what about chainfire 3d? you said that you dont use heavy apps and as far as I know that one is for heavy gaming isnt it?

ps. I recommend you install Vturbo 8.5 by gadgetcheck since I didnt see it on your signature, it really works ;)

Reactions: grabjagdish

SuperAce609

Oct 24, 2011
Bani, Dominican Republic
Hey dude I may try that tip, but I wanted to know about the governor that you are using, is that one a battery saver?, and what about chainfire 3d? you said that you dont use heavy apps and as far as I know that one is for heavy gaming isnt it?

ps. I recommend you install Vturbo 8.5 by gadgetcheck since I didnt see it on your signature, it really works ;)
Yeah, I'm not using heavy apps now but I do like some gaming now and then. When I do game, I crank up the processor back to normal but I rarely do. And I use Smartass governor, not really sure if its a battery saver but its working great.

And yeah, I think I had turbo 8.5. But for now, my ace runs perfectly fine so I don't really need other scripts or optimizers :p

Reactions: KidBuu03

rjyama

Jul 19, 2010
Balanga
CPU governors control exactly how the CPU scales between your “max” and “min” set frequencies. Most kernels have “ondemand” and “performance.” The availability

ondemand – Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see “up threshold” in Advanced Settings), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed.

interactive – Available in newer kernels, and becoming the default scaling option in some official Android kernels. The interactive governor is functionally similar to the ondemand governor with an even greater focus on responsiveness.

conservative – Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery.

performance – Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the “max” set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting “max” and “min” to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for CPU load.

powersave – Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the “min” set value at all times.

userspace – A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor.

smartass – Included in some custom kernels. The smartass governor effectively gives the phone an automatic Screen Off profile, keeping speeds at a minimum when the phone is idle.

Thanks for the tip, works for me :)

tyraelasd

Nov 28, 2010
Concepcion
Im trying smartass governor but I noticed that the battery got really hot for some unknown reason :/, and I I got back to ondemand it becomes normal. Any idea?

I would rather use SetCPu becouse a need automatic changes since I play a lot ;P

Last edited:

SuperAce609

Oct 24, 2011
Bani, Dominican Republic
Hahaa... I know why...
Because you using What ROM? What Tweaks/script? like me too.. Hehehe..
Thank for sharing that setting... I'm really love my SGA now..
This rom actually has a pretty bad battery life. But makes up for it with speed and stability. I'm only using the LagFree V2 script and thinking about adding TurboBoost but I'm not sure if they can work together.

Reactions: KidBuu03 and arip30

arip30

Jan 19, 2012
Cyberjaya
This rom actually has a pretty bad battery life. But makes up for it with speed and stability. I'm only using the LagFree V2 script and thinking about adding TurboBoost but I'm not sure if they can work together.

I already using both.. I'thing its can work together.. But i'm not to sure cause am only using lest then 1 week..
For me, i want to using a smoth n fast.. i don't care about the battery live cause i can charge or use my secondary/spare battery..

SuperAce609

Oct 24, 2011
Bani, Dominican Republic
I already using both.. I'thing its can work together.. But i'm not to sure cause am only using lest then 1 week..
For me, i want to using a smoth n fast.. i don't care about the battery live cause i can charge or use my secondary/spare battery..

Will make your spare battery look like wasted money xD

calav3ra_de

Jan 22, 2012
Using CPUtuner now. Free and works perfectly. I dont think i need smartass governor, since it offers separate screenoff profile, where i can set everything i want, including services on/off.

SuperAce609

Oct 24, 2011
Bani, Dominican Republic
Using CPUtuner now. Free and works perfectly. I dont think i need smartass governor, since it offers separate screenoff profile, where i can set everything i want, including services on/off.
Lol, okay. SetCPU is also free (on XDA). But whatever works for you is fine. My fix is just running CPU at minimum as soon as the screen is off and switch profiles when the screen is on. That way you'll always have battery to use when you want to and not use up battery when you're not using the phone.

Bafacchio

Oct 5, 2011
CPU governors control exactly how the CPU scales between your “max” and “min” set frequencies. Most kernels have “ondemand” and “performance.” The availability

ondemand – Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see “up threshold” in Advanced Settings), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed.

interactive – Available in newer kernels, and becoming the default scaling option in some official Android kernels. The interactive governor is functionally similar to the ondemand governor with an even greater focus on responsiveness.

conservative – Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery.

performance – Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the “max” set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting “max” and “min” to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for CPU load.

powersave – Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the “min” set value at all times.

userspace – A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor.

smartass – Included in some custom kernels. The smartass governor effectively gives the phone an automatic Screen Off profile, keeping speeds at a minimum when the phone is idle.

Thanks for the explanation, man...it was very useful :D

pyronia

Oct 11, 2011
Puchong
My setting

Profile: screen off
Min 122
Max 122
Governor: powersave

Profile: battery
101%
Min 122
Max 806
Governor: conservative

SuperAce609

Oct 24, 2011
Bani, Dominican Republic
My setting

Profile: screen off
Min 122
Max 122
Governor: powersave

Profile: battery
101%
Min 122
Max 806
Governor: conservative
I REALLY don't recommend leaving it at 122 minimum. I tried it today and had a lot of lag attacks. Though the battery saving is incredible, but at the cost of a lot of performance. Like taking a call, it'll lag like hell. Had a lot of missed calls today just because of that issue.

But if it works for you, then have fun! :)

kevinlekiller

Aug 20, 2011
I REALLY don't recommend leaving it at 122 minimum. I tried it today and had a lot of lag attacks. Though the battery saving is incredible, but at the cost of a lot of performance. Like taking a call, it'll lag like hell. Had a lot of missed calls today just because of that issue.

Yeah, I noticed that a few weeks back, couldn't even answer so much it was laggy. You can set in phone call 245mhz and priority higher than screen off and it resolves that issue.

I use cyanogenmod performance for setting the clock with 245mhz min now, I don't have any wakelocks so the processor is always off (deep sleep) when the screen is off, at the same time I don't have the wake lag issue since its not running at 122mhz when it wakes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer; This does not damage your phone at all or fry/mess up your cpu. On the contrary, it helps it by not running at full capacity all the time resulting in less stress and increased battery.

This method works universally for any Android phone you're using. But you'll need ROOT for Set CPU.

IMPORTANT: The newer versions of SetCPU might prevent your phone from entering deep sleep. Download version 2.24 from the following link which is the one with no problems and completely works 100%.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419

The Ace sucks in battery life. We all know that. And on 3G? Don't even mention it. But here's a fix, ever tried Under clocking instead of Over clocking?

Someone brought it up on a thread a couple of days ago and I have to spread the word, that works wonders. Got my Ace running on 245 min and 806 max and a different Screen Off profile. And now from the morning till 6PM in the afternoon, its just 61% AND recorded a 7 minute video/took pictures.

Battery was the only issue I had with my Ace. But now that its fixed, I love it :D

When screen is on:

MAX 806
    MIN 245
    Ondemand governor
    (This governor bumps up to max when needed but spends most time on the min freq. Best battery saver.)

When screen is off:

MAX 320
    MIN 122

This way, you have a beast quick phone when you're using it, and the best battery saver when you're not!

This is what CPU spy should look like when you're done:

attachment.php

NOTE: Turn off Autosync from the settings. It's only used to sync your gmail and contacts and such. You can manually sync when you add a new contact and since I don't use gmail, I refresh manually whenever I do. 3G is the worst battery killer so this will help a lot.

SetCPU: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419

Specific instructions for those that can't get it to work!:
    On SetCPU:
    Click Add profile
    Where it says Profile, select it and tap "Screen Off"
    Set the frequencies you want in use while screen is off (If you want just one frecuency, put both sliders on the same number)
    Set priority (in case you have other profiles, otherwise don't bother)
    Select governor (Won't really matter since cpu is gonna be running at 1 frecuency)
    Tap save
    Go back to Profiles tab at the top, then tap Enable at the top left to make the profiles work.

For a list of most governors detailed; check out this thread! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242323

To check if its all working, install CPU spy from the market:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5idmFsb3Nlay5jcHVzcHkiXQ..

Battery Calibration

1. Turn your phone off
    2. Leave charging over night
    3. Turn it on
    4. Leave it charging for half an hour
    5. Download this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result
    6. Open it and press calibrate battery
    7. Discharge your phone down to 0% during the day
    8. Charge back up to 100% NON-STOP.

This is to make sure you're using your battery at 100%. Only do this after you flash a new rom.

The worst battery killer is 3G itself. No matter how much you try to optimize battery and underclock, if you have 3G on, you're gonna have a bad time. MAKE SURE Autosync is disabled.

Thanks to QNBT for the AutoSync off and new profile settings hint!

Hey superace I want to hot the thanks button but I cant find it ..I m new to xda ..I m using the. Xda premium app ..please help me ....I really want to thank you...lol ..great guide btw ..

sent from my galaxy ace which is rocking CM 7.2 by vo-1
    Lmao I don't know bro. I don't really use the thank button from the app. I just go on my pc and remember who to thank xD
    m using CM 7.2 on SGA, battery life is very poor... this thread is really gr8..:)
    i dnt have smartass governor on my device...
    how to install smartassv2 governor..plz help..
    Flash a different kernel. Battery life on CM7.2 is horrible no matter what you do.

Yeah, I noticed that a few weeks back, couldn't even answer so much it was laggy. You can set in phone call 245mhz and priority higher than screen off and it resolves that issue.

I use cyanogenmod performance for setting the clock with 245mhz min now, I don't have any wakelocks so the processor is always off (deep sleep) when the screen is off, at the same time I don't have the wake lag issue since its not running at 122mhz when it wakes.