Clamshell Keyboard

Search This thread

vishious89

Jan 19, 2011
Baltimore
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Google and Samsung seemingly refuse to develop a competent and attractive keyboard solution. Especially with the Microsoft Surface Touch and Type covers selling so well with the actual Surface. The Nexus 10 has such an ideal connector in the pogo pins, and creating a keyboard dock with a hinge could not possibly involve heavy R&D costs. The market is clearly there. I would love to see a third party maker, like the creators of the ClamCase for the iPad, come up with a solution. The new ClamCase Pro is absolutely beautiful and greatly increases the productivity potential of the iPad. I'd buy one for the Nexus 10 in a heartbeat. I suppose I should not be surprised as we have yet to see an official pogo charger, although the one I bought works rather well, from either Samsung or Google. Both are doing a horrendous job of supporting a flagship tablet.

That was the rant portion of this post, my apologies.

I'm very curious to see what the best solutions everyone has come up with. Yes, I have perused all the other threads regarding the topic, and I've found the answers and workarounds less than appealing. So unless Google and Samsung miraculously come to their senses and release an accessory that should have been available 3 months ago, I'm hoping that one of the brilliant minds on here will spark some hope or joy into my search. So if you don't mind, please share your ideas, opinions, and possible solutions that I may be able to try out and attempt to assuage my growing frustration.

Reactions: tulkas84

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
I just hook up a Bluetooth keyboard and put the tablet on a stand.

From a business standpoint, it's a waste of good R&D money to try to develop an integrated keyboard solution for a tablet. Nexus devices always have vestigial ports and plugs, and this is just due to Google's lazy practice of axing a particular feature over cost concerns, and then they just ask the hardware manufacturer to leave the remnants of it in rather than spend more money revising the design.

People that really need keyboards and mice will already have a preferred Bluetooth or OTG USB solution, meanwhile the OS itself doesn't require nor is it designed around those input devices. Personally I find it annoying and slow to use the OS with a mouse and keyboard, and only use the keyboard if I have a table nearby and need to type for extended periods of time. If such an occasion wasn't so rare, I probably would have bought an actual laptop or Chromebook instead.

Microsoft makes a point of marketing the Surface as more of a business device, but the RT still fell flat in that regard (wtf no Active Directory integration?), and the Pro is obscenely expensive for a device that doesn't offer any additional business features that can't be accomplished by a cheaper Windows 8 laptop. Keyboards and mice on tablets are niche features, and most people balked at the fact that a touch cover for the Surface RT costs an extra $100, which was also a pretty terrible keyboard overall. Google wasn't ready to make the same mistake, because historically Samsung charges obscene amounts of money for their accessories as well.

If given the choice between a $30 Motorola Bluetooth keyboard that requires its own batteries, or a $70-$100 Samsung keyboard that hooks into the pogo pins, I'd prefer the $30 option. I use my tablet like a tablet, and use a desktop or laptop when I need to do actual work. Trying to shoehorn my tablet into being a laptop replacement often ends in failure and disappointment, so I just accepted its limitations and moved on.

distho

Apr 10, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Please let us know how that keyboard works out. It looks like a good price for one.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

libertao

Nov 26, 2011
Last edited:

rrand

Oct 29, 2011

vansmack

Jul 16, 2009
San Francisco
I don't know if that would make a difference. I ordered mine a couple days ago and Amazon estimates three to six weeks for delivery. I will let you know if I get it sooner.

Thanks. I didn't cancel and will also keep you posted.

I see now that minisuit has changed the picture to the black one - it was originally the brushed aluminum - so this should be a fun wait and see experience.

rrand

Oct 29, 2011
I received an email today saying they are out of the black ones until next weekend if I want to wait or they can send me a silver now. Either way they're offering a 20% refund for the inconvenience. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I wanted the black one.

Reactions: Izeltokatl

Dallasalien

Jan 12, 2009
I received an email today saying they are out of the black ones until next weekend if I want to wait or they can send me a silver now. Either way they're offering a 20% refund for the inconvenience. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I wanted the black one.

I got the same email, lots of spelling mistakes and bad english. Only $26 so figured I'd just wait.

gacostac

Nov 26, 2012
I noticed from the pictures that this clam-shell keyboard and the other 2 i found on amazon all have a big piece of plastic that sticks out right in front of the space-bar key... i suppose its necessary for it to close properly with the N10....

When anyone gets it, please let us know if it get on the way of typing normally!

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2012
Yeah I have been watching these keyboards as well. I love how they snap onto the nexus to protect it. :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, guess what arrived today?

IMG_20130406_211621

It came partially charged so I got to use it for about 30 minutes - just long enough to give you a brief rundown. I will be taking it to a conference tomorrow and will give a larger report after a full days use.

As you can see, it's not quite as thick as the tablet itself and it's actually lighter than I thought it would be (sorry, I don't have a scale). It's definitely lighter than the tablet, but slightly heavier than the Moko case:

IMG_20130406_211806

When they're combined, it's about a 50-75% increase in the thickness. Definitely not double the size because the tablet rests partially inside the case:

IMG_20130406_212611

When closed (and if you put it on the right way), all of the ports remain uncovered, however, the case does look like it might make the POGO plug difficult to use (sorry, I don't have one to test). It is possible to put it on upside down and cover the ports:

IMG_20130406_212920

The keys themselves are chiclets and very responsive, however they are quite small (That's a US dime on the left and a 5 pence piece on the right):

IMG_20130406_212316

I've sent about 3-4 multiple paragraph emails with it and it didn't miss a single key, but I did mis-hit a few keys as I haven't adjusted to the size. In addition there is a dedicated Home button, search button, playback and volume controls and what looks like cut/copy/paste but I haven't gotten them to work yet.

If you're a left thumb space bar person, I don't think the raised lip will be a problem as the space bar is off set to the left. If you're a right thumb space bar person, that lip might get in the way:

IMG_20130406_213207

The brushed aluminum varietal was not my first choice, but all they had in when I ordered it. The back is actually a dark gun metal gray and looks rather nice so I think I will be keeping it:

IMG_20130406_212623

The case itself holds the tablet rather firmly when typing. I'm not at all concerned about it tipping over or back, nor am I concerned with the tablet in landscape mode of it slipping out. HOWEVER, given the speakers on the front makes the sides much thinner and rounded, it will not hold the tablet firmly in portrait mode at all. The tablet does not shake/wiggle when typing on a firm surface, but there is a little residual wiggle/shake when using the touchscreen:

IMG_20130406_212528

I haven't had it long enough to test battery life, but it claims 55 hours. The charging port is microUSB. It also has a sleep mode if the keyboard isn't used for 15 mins. It comes with a white MicroUSB Charging cable, because none of us have enough of those.

Thus far I'm pleased. I've been using the Moko Case and carrying a stand alone Microsoft Keyboard with much bigger keys, but it's a much larger load. Given how thin and light this is, if it performs tomorrow, I think I'll be keeping it, especially for the price. This pic here is of the Moko case (for those that have one). Keep in mind that there is no tablet in the Moko case in the photo, so it's really a little larger than depicted, so essentially not that much bigger than the clamshell:

IMG_20130406_212803

And lastly, the Nexus logo now stands out whenever you use the case:

IMG_20130406_212635

It's in there firm when closed - I actually had a hard time getting it out the first couple times. There is a little side-to-side movement in the case though. Not sure what effect that might have over time,

Alright, I'm happy to answer any specific questions that you might have, but keep in mind that I haven't even spent a day with it yet, so my answers may be limited for now. In addition, I won't be available much of tomorrow as I'll be giving it a hearty trial run at a conference, but hey, if it's a boring conference, I may check back in.
    I just hook up a Bluetooth keyboard and put the tablet on a stand.

From a business standpoint, it's a waste of good R&D money to try to develop an integrated keyboard solution for a tablet. Nexus devices always have vestigial ports and plugs, and this is just due to Google's lazy practice of axing a particular feature over cost concerns, and then they just ask the hardware manufacturer to leave the remnants of it in rather than spend more money revising the design.

People that really need keyboards and mice will already have a preferred Bluetooth or OTG USB solution, meanwhile the OS itself doesn't require nor is it designed around those input devices. Personally I find it annoying and slow to use the OS with a mouse and keyboard, and only use the keyboard if I have a table nearby and need to type for extended periods of time. If such an occasion wasn't so rare, I probably would have bought an actual laptop or Chromebook instead.

Microsoft makes a point of marketing the Surface as more of a business device, but the RT still fell flat in that regard (wtf no Active Directory integration?), and the Pro is obscenely expensive for a device that doesn't offer any additional business features that can't be accomplished by a cheaper Windows 8 laptop. Keyboards and mice on tablets are niche features, and most people balked at the fact that a touch cover for the Surface RT costs an extra $100, which was also a pretty terrible keyboard overall. Google wasn't ready to make the same mistake, because historically Samsung charges obscene amounts of money for their accessories as well.

If given the choice between a $30 Motorola Bluetooth keyboard that requires its own batteries, or a $70-$100 Samsung keyboard that hooks into the pogo pins, I'd prefer the $30 option. I use my tablet like a tablet, and use a desktop or laptop when I need to do actual work. Trying to shoehorn my tablet into being a laptop replacement often ends in failure and disappointment, so I just accepted its limitations and moved on.
    I'm thinking that the mineral oil will help lubricate the plastic moving parts BUT I have not tried this...yet....as I have not having this issue too much. Very little about.

Do not use mineral oil on the plastic, it may (severely) damage it. The lubricant of choice for standard plastics is usually silicone oil.
    Mine arrived today. I received the black unit. Exact same packaging as the silver unit.
    The slot to hold the tablet is very shallow so the tablet falls out easily. I can't tilt it back any where near 45 deg. The only reason the table stays in at all is that it catches on the edge of the plastic around the screen.

I was really just starting to fall in love with mine and just last night decided to keep it. Just a reminder - these things lok identical, but I did get mine from Minisuit and is not Amazon. I don't think it makes any difference, but just wanted to point that out.

I can tip mine pretty far back without it falling out:

IMG_20130409_134013

And the case is definitely too wide on the sides by about 2mm, hence the side to side motion along the clips. But there is no room on mine between the clips (top to bottom) - it doesn't move at all up and down and holds my tablet in there firmly.