Ravpower RP-WD01 Wireless WiFi-Disk Review

Search This thread

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Recently purchased the Ravpower RP-WD01 Wireless WiFi-Disk. It is probably the best investment I have made for ALL my mobile devices. I was on the fence about what wireless wifi storage to get Seagate, Kingston Wi-drive, Airstash and lots more but decided on the ravpower. Main reason was that it had a SD card slot and USB port to connect a multitude of different storage devices. And lets be honest, how many SD cards, microsd cards, portable hard drives and usb flash drives do we have laying around? There is soooo much potential with this product and some very nice surprises that I found out that makes this wifi disk a MUST have for all the tech geeks in us.

Bonus, it doubles up as external battery pack. 3,000mah may not be a lot but it does come in handy in those critical must have a charge situations.

Specs:

Wireless wi-fi storage and external battery pack 3000mah
SD card slot
USB slot

The size of the wifi disk is about the size of a portable hard drive. Slightly bigger than my S3; look at attached picture for reference.

To connect to the device you must make a wifi connection to it. It is named "WiFiSD-158E" and the password is "11111111". That is 8 ones BTW.

Performance:

I was able to pick up a wide array of storage media. SD card, microsd in a sd card adapter, Flash drives ranging from 4gb to 32gb with many different brands. It was able to power a Seagate portable hard drive no problem while a SD card was also in the sd card slot.

Many different devices were used to connect to the wifi disk: Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Ipad 4, Acer laptop, Coby Cryos android tablet, galaxy S3, Iphone 5 and a t-mobile S2.

It says that up to 5 devices can be connected to it.

I was able to play all sorts of video files from it, divx/xvid, avi, mp4, mkv, mov.....720p,1080p. It handled it like a champ.

I connected 5 devices and tried to stream a divx file all at the same time. It worked flawlessly, no stutters, no audio drops.
Now I dunno about HD 720p or 1080p files with 5 devices trying to stream from it. Will try more tests later.

You can access your connected storage via 3 different ways:

Now, you can use the recommended mobile apps mobile fun (android) and airstor (IOS) to connect to the device to see your connected storage options. They are nice clean simple apps. Reminds me of an "ES Explorer" type file explorer. Pretty fast, smooth and it simply just works. The one thing the APP is a must for is to make it a wifi hotspot. What that means is that you can configure it to connect to your regular home internet router so that when your device is connected to it; you can still have internet access. Basically it acts like a wireless bridge for your router. Once configured you don't have to use the apps ever again.

You can even use your browser to go to "10.10.10.254" and connect via a web interface. The default username is "admin" and there is no password. You can configure it to have a password; which I did via a wizard tutorial. This is nice since you can connect your laptop to it and access the connected storage.

The last option was a little thing I figured out and was pleasantly surprised! The wifi disk can be accessed via ANY file explorer app that can make SAMBA/SMB connections! File explorers such as "ES Explorer" and "Solid Explorer" have this ability. I personally recommend solid explorer (more on that in a bit).

You just have to set it up (please see attached picture for reference).

For solid explorer press the "jump" button, then "Network" and then "SMB/CIFS" button. Jump>Network>SMB/CIFS
Now press the plus sign button at the top right. It will cause a popup that you will need to fill in the appropriate info.

Display name: can be left blank
Computer name or ip address: enter 10.10.10.254
Authentication method: can set as "Log in as guess" if you did not use the web interface to make a pass word. If you did make a password set it as "store encrypted password"
Username: admin
password: whatever password you made via the web interface

Now you should be able use the file explorer to navigate the connected storage options:
SDCARD-Volume1 = SD card slot
USBDisk-Volume1 = USB port connected storage

Now you don't need an extra app to use the wifi disk. Use the file explorer you love and know!

Solid Explorer is my reccomendation because it has the two pane option when in landscape mode. With the two panel mode, you can navigate to the "SD card" with pane 1 and then navigate to the "usb port" with pane 2. This will allow you to transfer files between the "sd card" and the "usb port" storage seemlessly and easily! There was a step by step guide on amazon how to transfer files between two attached storage options on the wifi disk, but this makes it sooooo much easier!

Build Quality: Seems solid, not too flimsy but quite light. Nice colored LED's that aren't too bright.

Gripes about it:
Only comes in white; no black option. It sticks out like a sore thumb next to all my other devices. The external battery pack I bought before Xmas had a white generic apple charger which didn't go with the black external battery pack I bought.
Does not come with a wall charger; but will use any usb charger.

I do not work for RAVpower but was really impressed with their external battery pack for Xmas. Was even contacted by them after the new year to personally ask how the product was working out for me. That was a pleasant surprise. So that pushed my try the wifi disk instead of bigger name alternatives.

Attachments

• P1040089.jpg
    P1040089.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 5,751
  • P1040087.jpg
    P1040087.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 5,301
  • Screenshot_2013-02-27-19-09-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-27-19-09-37.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 5,080
  • Screenshot_2013-02-27-19-34-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-27-19-34-00.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4,486
Last edited by a moderator:

mpmilestogo

Aug 9, 2009
Union City California
Thanks for the great review. Does the wifi drive offer some kind of pass through so one can access the Internet while using the drive?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the great review. Does the wifi drive offer some kind of pass through so one can access the Internet while using the drive?

Yeah. It's in the part of using the mobile app. It basically acts a wireless bridge or a hot spot. The wifi disk will connect to your router (after you configure it) and will pass through Internet to your device.

Jadefalkon

Nov 10, 2011
This looks really good have you been able to confirm the 5 hourd of battery life?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
This looks really good have you been able to confirm the 5 hourd of battery life?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Not yet. I'm running a lot of tests like. How long it can last with various media storage connected; w/ hot spot/bridge mode on and off. How far you can be away from it but still stay connected.

Reactions: TJK775

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Okay, here's a question.

Can the standard download path be redirected to the WiFi device by an app, etc? Normal OTG support one can save to a flash drive.

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
I don't think so... It's not a standard path. It's a wireless connection. Kind of like a media server.... You can save to it but like all media servers not all apps have the ability to make a connection to the wifi disk

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ken401

Dec 26, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Great review. I am charging mine for the first time, does the blinking green light ever change color or stop flashing when done charging? The user guide is not at all clear on this.

Edit: The blinking green light which indicates charging eventually just turned off completely. I assume this means charging is complete. Great device with lots of useful options built in, but they could have spent a little more time developing a better set of instructions.

Last edited:

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I don't think so... It's not a standard path. It's a wireless connection. Kind of like a media server.... You can save to it but like all media servers not all apps have the ability to make a connection to the wifi disk

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, it would be same as trying to save a download to your PC with WiFi, it doesn't exsist as a filepath option, only the device or what's physically attached to it(OTG).

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Great review. I am charging mine for the first time, does the blinking green light ever change color or stop flashing when done charging? The user guide is not at all clear on this.
If like other device chargers I have, lights blink while charging and stop when complete. Thinking about ordering one of these!:)

EDIT: Downloaded the manual. Is states a slow flashing green light is off or shutting down. Get this, both steady red and steady green is battery >30%! Can't be both. Not too good of a manual.

Last edited:

Pattond

Aug 25, 2012
DFW
I really like this

I got mine in yesterday. I had to do a firmware update, but it's working with our Stealth Trio, Kindle Fires (running JellyBean) and our iPad 2. For some reason Moboplayer wouldn't work on the Kindle's but BSplayer Lite worked fine. Have tested watching 3 movies at the same time w/out issue.

Ken401

Dec 26, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If like other device chargers I have, lights blink while charging and stop when complete. Thinking about ordering one of these!:)

EDIT: Downloaded the manual. Is states a slow flashing green light is off or shutting down. Get this, both steady red and steady green is battery >30%! Can't be both. Not too good of a manual.

I noticed that contradiction also. I can tell you only the green was on and I assume it had more than a 30% charge. I am thinking the red light will come on when LESS than 30% of the charge is left, but I have not run it down that far to know if this is correct. The instructions read the same way in both the quick manual and the full one. Nice device though!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I noticed that contradiction also. I can tell you only the green was on and I assume it had more than a 30% charge. I am thinking the red light will come on when LESS than 30% of the charge is left, but I have not run it down that far to know if this is correct. The instructions read the same way in both the quick manual and the full one. Nice device though!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
I emailed them asking about the manual mistake. Later I ordered one also

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

I got mine in yesterday. I had to do a firmware update, but it's working with our Stealth Trio, Kindle Fires (running JellyBean) and our iPad 2. For some reason Moboplayer wouldn't work on the Kindle's but BSplayer Lite worked fine. Have tested watching 3 movies at the same time w/out issue.
How'd you know it needed an update? How big were the movies?

krash183

Sep 4, 2008

Where did you download the firmware.?

Pattond

Aug 25, 2012
DFW
I don't have enough posts to post external links. Go to the RavPower website and look for downloads. The firmware update us under Android. Though I updated it using my PC and the pc app

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

I emailed them asking about the manual mistake. Later I ordered one also

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

How'd you know it needed an update? How big were the movies?

When I connected with the new iPad AirStor software it said I should update firmware. I didn't get the message from the Android apps.

The movies were 700-1000 MB DVD rips. Each device was playing different movies concurrently.

Btw, just connected it from Xbmc using 10.10.10.254 for the path. Bypasses the app. Note username is admin (all lowercase) and password is blank unless you change them in the firmware settings

Ken401

Dec 26, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Where did you download the firmware.?

Here is a link to the page with the firmware update. Look for the file under Tablet & Smartphone software. http://www.ravpower.com/downloads#RP-WD01 I unzipped the file and transferred it to a USB drive and then attached the USB drive to the device and ran the update using the web interface at 10.10.10.254 while my tablet was tethered to it.

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
Here is a link to the page with the firmware update. Look for the file under Tablet & Smartphone software. http://www.ravpower.com/downloads#RP-WD01 I unzipped the file and transferred it to a USB drive and then attached the USB drive to the device and ran the update using the web interface at 10.10.10.254 while my tablet was tethered to it.
I see updates and their names appear to be for two apps not firmware. Am I missing something?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently purchased the Ravpower RP-WD01 Wireless WiFi-Disk. It is probably the best investment I have made for ALL my mobile devices. I was on the fence about what wireless wifi storage to get Seagate, Kingston Wi-drive, Airstash and lots more but decided on the ravpower. Main reason was that it had a SD card slot and USB port to connect a multitude of different storage devices. And lets be honest, how many SD cards, microsd cards, portable hard drives and usb flash drives do we have laying around? There is soooo much potential with this product and some very nice surprises that I found out that makes this wifi disk a MUST have for all the tech geeks in us.

Bonus, it doubles up as external battery pack. 3,000mah may not be a lot but it does come in handy in those critical must have a charge situations.

Specs:

Wireless wi-fi storage and external battery pack 3000mah
    SD card slot
    USB slot

The size of the wifi disk is about the size of a portable hard drive. Slightly bigger than my S3; look at attached picture for reference.

To connect to the device you must make a wifi connection to it. It is named "WiFiSD-158E" and the password is "11111111". That is 8 ones BTW.

Performance:

I was able to pick up a wide array of storage media. SD card, microsd in a sd card adapter, Flash drives ranging from 4gb to 32gb with many different brands. It was able to power a Seagate portable hard drive no problem while a SD card was also in the sd card slot.

Many different devices were used to connect to the wifi disk: Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Ipad 4, Acer laptop, Coby Cryos android tablet, galaxy S3, Iphone 5 and a t-mobile S2.

It says that up to 5 devices can be connected to it.

I was able to play all sorts of video files from it, divx/xvid, avi, mp4, mkv, mov.....720p,1080p. It handled it like a champ.

I connected 5 devices and tried to stream a divx file all at the same time. It worked flawlessly, no stutters, no audio drops.
    Now I dunno about HD 720p or 1080p files with 5 devices trying to stream from it. Will try more tests later.

You can access your connected storage via 3 different ways:

Now, you can use the recommended mobile apps mobile fun (android) and airstor (IOS) to connect to the device to see your connected storage options. They are nice clean simple apps. Reminds me of an "ES Explorer" type file explorer. Pretty fast, smooth and it simply just works. The one thing the APP is a must for is to make it a wifi hotspot. What that means is that you can configure it to connect to your regular home internet router so that when your device is connected to it; you can still have internet access. Basically it acts like a wireless bridge for your router. Once configured you don't have to use the apps ever again.

You can even use your browser to go to "10.10.10.254" and connect via a web interface. The default username is "admin" and there is no password. You can configure it to have a password; which I did via a wizard tutorial. This is nice since you can connect your laptop to it and access the connected storage.

The last option was a little thing I figured out and was pleasantly surprised! The wifi disk can be accessed via ANY file explorer app that can make SAMBA/SMB connections! File explorers such as "ES Explorer" and "Solid Explorer" have this ability. I personally recommend solid explorer (more on that in a bit).

You just have to set it up (please see attached picture for reference).

For solid explorer press the "jump" button, then "Network" and then "SMB/CIFS" button. Jump>Network>SMB/CIFS
    Now press the plus sign button at the top right. It will cause a popup that you will need to fill in the appropriate info.

Display name: can be left blank
    Computer name or ip address: enter 10.10.10.254
    Authentication method: can set as "Log in as guess" if you did not use the web interface to make a pass word. If you did make a password set it as "store encrypted password"
    Username: admin
    password: whatever password you made via the web interface

Now you should be able use the file explorer to navigate the connected storage options:
    SDCARD-Volume1 = SD card slot
    USBDisk-Volume1 = USB port connected storage

Now you don't need an extra app to use the wifi disk. Use the file explorer you love and know!

Solid Explorer is my reccomendation because it has the two pane option when in landscape mode. With the two panel mode, you can navigate to the "SD card" with pane 1 and then navigate to the "usb port" with pane 2. This will allow you to transfer files between the "sd card" and the "usb port" storage seemlessly and easily! There was a step by step guide on amazon how to transfer files between two attached storage options on the wifi disk, but this makes it sooooo much easier!

Build Quality: Seems solid, not too flimsy but quite light. Nice colored LED's that aren't too bright.

Gripes about it:
    Only comes in white; no black option. It sticks out like a sore thumb next to all my other devices. The external battery pack I bought before Xmas had a white generic apple charger which didn't go with the black external battery pack I bought.
    Does not come with a wall charger; but will use any usb charger.

I do not work for RAVpower but was really impressed with their external battery pack for Xmas. Was even contacted by them after the new year to personally ask how the product was working out for me. That was a pleasant surprise. So that pushed my try the wifi disk instead of bigger name alternatives.
    Securing rp-wd01

Got a ravpower wifi disk myself last week. After playing around with it, I found some concerning security issues, especially if you want to connect your rp-wd01 to a foreign network (e.g. hotel).

I found out that all services are also exposed to the interface (apcli0) connected to the foreign network. This means that samba shares and also the telnet daemon are exposed to the foreign net.
    The telnet daemon is the most concerning one, as this directly allows root access, and everybody who has read this forum (or other forums) know the root password on the device.

This means that potentially everybody can get root access to your device, being able to access your data or wipe your data for that matter.

So last weekend I have spend a short time making the device a bit more secure. It is hackish, but for now I am fine with it.

Wrote an article on my wiki, as I am not able to paste outside links (not enough posts yet) I pasted the link like this (you can figure it out):
    www [dot] isartor [dot] org/wiki/Securing_your_RavPower_Filehub_RP-WD01

I also sent that article to ravpower, so hopefully they do something with it, like having the option to secure your device better from the web interface.
    Here are .014, .020 and updating instructions (for completeness).
    Hope these help!
    Root password for ravpower

Has anyway tried telnet into the ravpower wd01?
    My guess is that the admin account works right away.
    My experience with a similar device, the Leedo w3000p is that the root password
    is "20080826". Can someone please confirm that this works on the ravpower as well?

I am quite happy with the w3000p. Now with the root capability it is easy to
    hack the device and add new functionality.

Cheerio.

Let me reply to myself since nobody else seems to be taking notice of this post:
    I unraveled the Ravpower WD01 firmware and was able to compare the /etc/passwd file with
    the one from my Leedo Wifidisk Wi-Data W3000PH USB 2.5 enclosure, and yes, the root (and admin)
    passwords are indeed the same! I strongly believe that both hardwares are very similar (same SoC RT5350
    processor, same 32MB RAM, same 8MB flash).

I rooted my device and installed ipkg and dropbear for ssh. I use an ext2 partition on my disk mounted
    under /opt. Let me know if anyone wants more details...

All the best
    @DarrenHill -- Thank you! I knew there was a way to map it easily in WIN, just hadn't had the time to figure it out :D

Are there any custom firmwares available?

You're welcome.

To give a little more update, I spoke with them again over the weekend by email and clarified things a bit further about this nice bit of kit. Apparently there is a rev.2 version of the device due to be released in April, which will have DLNA support. They are also considering a firmware update for the rev.1 device (the one on current release that we have) to add the same functionality, but that will come afterwards and is not fully confirmed.

To the best of my knowledge there aren't any custom firmwares yet, although the root password of the device is known ("20080826") and there are others on this board who were trying to get additional functionality working on it - there are a few posts on the subject earlier in this thread. Ravpower have just released a new firmware version for the device (confusingly named 2.000.004, given the current on-device version for release is 2.000.158). There are more details on that a couple of posts above this one, see below (I got the same details in my response from Ravpower).

Indeed if anyone does know of any custom firmware for this device to add new functionality, I'd like to know too :)

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

I'm having a problem figuring out what is the most current firmware. My device had the .158 installed

On the product page it has the following available for download
    On their website at (can't post link)- support/psd-23
    fw-SD-RAV-WD01-2.000.004 modified 12/20/13

I already had this one-
    fw-wifisd-i4294w277r2000158-2.000.158 modified 10/8/12

I'm confused by what is listed, the modified dates and the file naming scheme. Any thoughts?

BTW it let me install the .004 firmware but now I suspect that it may be an earlier one.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

Just got an email from RAVPower-
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for choosing RAVPower FileHub!

004 is the customerized version for RAV Filehub and it is the latest version, which support WEP network.

Any other questions, please feel free to contact us.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other than the spelling mistakes I'm still a little confused. They must have changed their naming/numbering scheme and I guess WEP is what this adds. Any thoughts?

I had the same dilemma, and much the same response from Ravpower when I queried it (I was expecting the firmware update to perhaps add DLNA support, see my other post above).

Giving a quick test to .004, I see that you can also now choose the region for the wifi (which you can't under .158), but one problem I did see with .004 was that my SD card wasn't recognised by the firmware (although still fully accessible over the wifi via the device). So at the moment I've reverted back to .158, as I don't need WEP support (my network is WPA2).

For anyone that does need the older .158 firmware, you can still get it from their website under www_ravpower_com/support/RP-WD01.jsp (replace the underscores with dots for the URL - I'm too much of a noob here to be able to post URLs - haven't hit my 10 thank you's yet... ;) ) as the "firmware_update_for_Airstor_App.zip" under the tablet & smartphone section (3rd one down).

For completeness, the new .004 one is available at www_ravpower_com/support/psd-23.html (ditto noob url) under the software tab.