After some reading...

Search This thread

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Hey Guys,

After seeing what we were able to do with the AOSP Rom and SafeStrap, couldn't help but wonder if the same be done with Cyanogen? I know Cyanogen normally boots with AOSP style kernels, but if a Google Edition ROM can be booted... shouldn't Cyan be able to? Couldn't we use the GE/CM11 Edition in the Development Section, then remove the cyan kernel (so ours goes untouched, not tripping KNOX)?

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Amazon Fire TV
Nexus Player
They already have AOSP SafeStrap... just read the instructions the guy that figured it out left on the ATT thread and use them to port that one :p

Alright so I just tried to do that. I got as far as the boot ani then it simply loops repeatedly and vibration keeps going off. I let it sit for 10 minutes I don't know if I am missing something or forgot something on the build I worked on. I can upload it to my AFH account if you want me to so you can see if I am missing something.

Also best of luck on the CM11 stuff. :good:

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
nothing, this ROM is MDK only. im pretty sure cm is the same way. i highly doubt we can get CM booting just by screwing with the kernel. i actually brought up the idea but.. it's probably not possible.

Actually, you are right, just screwing around with the kernel WILL NOT work, but building CM from source using the "build with stock kernel" option SHOULD work. If AOSP/GE will work, it should. Just ripping the Boot.mg out and replacing with ours will not work.

TheLoonyRebel

Mar 20, 2010
Amazon Fire TV
Nexus Player
Actually, you are right, just screwing around with the kernel WILL NOT work, but building CM from source using the "build with stock kernel" option SHOULD work. If AOSP/GE will work, it should. Just ripping the Boot.mg out and replacing with ours will not work.

Yeah we do have a bit of the ground work with the AOSP/GE ROMs that mostly work on NC5 that could be used towards getting CM11 working. Now I don't know beyond that what it will take to get CM11 to work with the stock kernel but I would have to think that at least if it does get working then the issues we have right now on the AOSP/GE ROMs can be fixed since we'd have the ROM source/Github/etc to work from on this.

skepticmisfit

Jul 25, 2013
Well if anything, the at&t rom gives me hope for the future.. That ROM is a great daily driver. They even have WiFi tethering fixed (its a manual fix that requires putting commands into terminal emulator, its still a fix though)
Also for those who miss USB file transfer.. I've always found it to be way too slow for any practical purposes. Airdroid is way faster than USB mtp on touchwiz.

Reactions: joshm.1219

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ground Broken :)

I have begun working using a CM11 Base (4.4.4) and building around our kernel. It looks to be promising so far. But only time will tell :p
    I'm wondering if that kind of magic could be used to port this ROM over?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2643031

They already have AOSP SafeStrap... just read the instructions the guy that figured it out left on the ATT thread and use them to port that one :p
    Well if anything, the at&t rom gives me hope for the future.. That ROM is a great daily driver. They even have WiFi tethering fixed (its a manual fix that requires putting commands into terminal emulator, its still a fix though)
    Also for those who miss USB file transfer.. I've always found it to be way too slow for any practical purposes. Airdroid is way faster than USB mtp on touchwiz.