[Q] Moto X stuck in a boot loop

Search This thread

darylbu

Nov 5, 2013
Hi,

So recently KitKat is released for AT&T Moto X's. Excited, I decided to upgrade the phone to KitKat.

I was previously rooted with RockMyMoto, and before updating to KitKat, I went to unroot the phone through the SuperSU app that was installed.
As I was unsure if it was really unrooted, I opened up Titanium Backup (which required root) and it popped up with an error that Titanium Backup wouldn't work because my device was not rooted.

So with this confirmation (a really noob way to check), I went ahead to download the update through the default system settings app. After the download, I proceeded to install it.

Before installing the update, it said the phone will shut down and proceed with the update, which takes around 20 minutes, and it will be done once it boots up again. And this is where the problem comes. After the phone switched off, the phone just reboots immediately, as if it was just restarting. And after 30 seconds or so, the phone switches off and restarts again. Initially, I thought this was normal, but it kept on restarting and I knew something was up.

I don't know what to do now. I have tried holding down the volume buttons and power button to reboot into recovery, but every time I select the recovery option, the phone just reboots like normal and does not reboot to recovery. I even tried to "race against time" and restore my phone through settings app, but it doesn't allow me to.

What can I do? Please help me :(

I looked up on the internet, and it seems that I have to remove the OTA cache from the cache folder, but how can I do it? I don;t have root access anymore...

EDIT: FIXED, PLEASE DELETE

Last edited:

SolidSTI

Feb 6, 2011
Hi,

So recently KitKat is released for AT&T Moto X's. Excited, I decided to upgrade the phone to KitKat.

I was previously rooted with RockMyMoto, and before updating to KitKat, I went to unroot the phone through the SuperSU app that was installed.
As I was unsure if it was really unrooted, I opened up Titanium Backup (which required root) and it popped up with an error that Titanium Backup wouldn't work because my device was not rooted.

So with this confirmation (a really noob way to check), I went ahead to download the update through the default system settings app. After the download, I proceeded to install it.

Before installing the update, it said the phone will shut down and proceed with the update, which takes around 20 minutes, and it will be done once it boots up again. And this is where the problem comes. After the phone switched off, the phone just reboots immediately, as if it was just restarting. And after 30 seconds or so, the phone switches off and restarts again. Initially, I thought this was normal, but it kept on restarting and I knew something was up.

I don't know what to do now. I have tried holding down the volume buttons and power button to reboot into recovery, but every time I select the recovery option, the phone just reboots like normal and does not reboot to recovery. I even tried to "race against time" and restore my phone through settings app, but it doesn't allow me to.

I looked up on the internet, and it seems that I have to remove the OTA cache from the cache folder, but how can I do it? I don;t have root access anymore...

How did you fix it?

Reactions: glarepate

Globalrebel

Nov 8, 2006
California
I am having this very same problem. My phone just today went into boot loop. Running KangKat on unlocked 1053 with Faux kernel. No boot logo or anything. The phone just vibrates then after 30 seconds or so, it vibrates again. It does this non-stop.

I can plug my phone into USB and the phone's contents come up on my computer, but I can't get the screen to turn on!! Any ideas?

MikeNaples

Aug 10, 2013
Naples
Recovery

I am having this very same problem. My phone just today went into boot loop. Running KangKat on unlocked 1053 with Faux kernel. No boot logo or anything. The phone just vibrates then after 30 seconds or so, it vibrates again. It does this non-stop.

I can plug my phone into USB and the phone's contents come up on my computer, but I can't get the screen to turn on!! Any ideas?

Are you able to hold power + volume to get in to your recovery?
Then you can reinstall your nandroid. Or, then you can flash a different rom.

angerscot

Jan 22, 2013
La Plata
Or he can also boot into bootloader with adb by doing adb reboot bootloader then typing fastboot erase cache

This process seems to work quite well.

I'd recommend to use MFastboot. With your phone off, you can boot into fastboot by holding power and volume down for a few seconds, release and it will boot into fastboot. Connect the usb cable, and first try "fastboot erase cache". If that doesn't work by itself, repeat the process but also use "fastboot erase userdata" (THIS WILL ERASE ALL YOUR DATA!) but at least there is a chance you might get it to boot normally. It´s like a factory reset, you will have to start from scratch.

I know my answer is out of date but it might be useful for someone coming for this same solution.

Shaikh Nisar

Aug 3, 2015
Moto x Stuck in TWRP loop

pls help me guys it just goes on restarting it dose not even goes in recovery mode

pannu2don

Aug 5, 2009
Guys.. I got struck at unlocked boot loader. Flashed TWRP on 5.1 ( GB retail rom). And its not booting now and not able to flash any rom.. kindly Help...!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

How did you fix it?
    Are you able to hold power + volume to get in to your recovery?
    Then you can reinstall your nandroid. Or, then you can flash a different rom.

Or he can also boot into bootloader with adb by doing adb reboot bootloader then typing fastboot erase cache