How good is CM9 on the Artix?

Search This thread

Azurael

Jan 3, 2008
Bath
Uhh, I did say the Moto release will fix the prevailing bugs that currently exist mainly as a result of the hackish graphics driver implementation the Atrix CM9 devs have been forced to use.

However, I will stand behind my comment. With every Android device I've worked with and reflashed (the list is pretty long now: HTC Desire, Z, HD, One X, Moto Defy, Atrix, ZTE Blade and an Ainol Novo7 Aurora) I can quite conclusively say that there are some (I'm not saying all) community-developed ROMs that run faster, more stably and give better battery life than the manufacturer-supplied effort.

I don't think the OEMs are idiots. There are a lot of factors at play here: the OEMs have a billion other things to worry about, and limited amounts of developers given a limited amount of time to work on each device. Plus the cost of developing and testing new software for existing devices, and on top of that - the demands of the carriers. I'd say they also have some commercial incentive not to optimise builds too much when updating older hardware - if the new hardware seems much faster (even if that comes from software enhancements), you're more likely to buy it.

Most of the components in modern devices are chosen 'off the peg' and manufacturers development teams don't necessarily know evey possible optimisation for the platform - as an example: the deeper sleep state enabled in QSD8250 on the Desire by open community devs made a massive difference to battery life at the time with no detrimental effects.

Anyway, if manufacturer shipped ROMs are so perfectly stable and functional and 'the best thing out there', I assume you're running a factory ROM with no other mods - rooted at most??? :p

Last edited:

MdX MaxX

Dec 3, 2010
Best thing about CM9? It has completely stopped my Atrix from randomly rebooting. :D

yeahmann

Sep 4, 2011
Unfortunately, many Android lovers tend to believe community devs can do no wrong and corporate devs are slow and retarded.

If so, then why is dev work SO much better when source code, drivers, and official builds are released?

CM9 will be absolutely beyond amazing once official Atrix ICS is out and drivers/source is out.

The source code comes from Google and unless devs are willing to fork Android, which they aren't, they aren't going to modify the source much.

The drivers are proprietary so the hardware manufacturers are in a much better position to release them, then the devs.

The official builds are only useful for the drivers. If Motorola would just release the drivers, the devs don't need the official builds.

So yes CM9 will be much improved when the official ICS is released but that's not because Motorola is better at developing. Having said that, they have completely different objectives so it's not a completely fair comparison. Motorola is much more concerned with stability and maintaining their proprietary modifications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In conclusion: Amazing. The work Turl, Jokersax, etc have done here is amazing. :)

Why do I say this? I just got a One X. And it feels slower than my Atrix :(

Thanks guys, and I hope it will go on being appreciated by my girlfriend (if I can pry her away from the world of physical keyboards - can't keep using a Desire Z forever!)

Some work to be done here, methinks. Plus, I used to think Sense made Android better. Since Google gave us ICS, it feels like an abomination :(
    Actually, I would've preferred a Krait-based version (krait owns a9s in terms of performance per core, so an app is going to have to be very well threaded to run faster on Tegra 3... Plus Adreno 225 is a good deal faster than Tegra 3s GPU) but here in the UK we don't have commercially available LTE yet, so mine's the standard Kal-El quad.

It's better now its rooted and running a bloat-free ROM, but it doesn't feel faster than the Atrix tbh. It's nice to finally have a phone with a non-pentile screen though :)
    This thread inspired me to give CM9 a try. It's definitely not ready for prime time. I went back to CM7. The camera didn't work half the time. Video recording doesn't work at all. Can't use tabs in Chrome and it crashed often. No fingerprint unlock which isn't a deal breaker but still a bummer.

I've used phones with OEM firmware with more bugs :p

What's up with the camera? I have zero issues with stills... Although the Atrix's camera is so terrible it's not really worth using anyway! (I'm sure the camera on my old Desire was a lot better? As is, obviously, the One X - though even that doesn't compete with the cheapest 'real' camera...)

Personally, I found that despite the bugs, going back to <ICS feels like being in the stone age :D Scrolling, zooming and the render time for complex pages in the browser is so bad on GB I actually hated browsing the web on it before the (very buggy) early test builds of CM9 came along. You can't even use Chrome on previous versions, so why does that matter? The stock browser is infinitely better on ICS than GB...

All the work these guys have put in to bring us ICS, IMO is incredible. Maybe it's not ready for 'prime time' but I'd hazard a guess that Motorola's initial official releases will likely be just as/more buggy (although maybe in different ways) and probably a hell of a lot slower if previous AOSP/CM vs. Moto ROM rules apply... Having said that, the correct + working video drivers from the Moto release when they drop will likely fix everything that's wrong with CM9 on the Atrix at the moment.