[HOWTO] / [GUIDE] SPH-L720 Domestic SIM Unlock T-Mobile:AT&T:metroPCS:Straighttalk

Search This thread

gibrannz

Nov 13, 2013
According to this :https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com/#jive-document?content=/api/core/v2/documents/5736
Yes it will. Hspa+ only though.

Np Man, and good catch, fixed. I'll check out that step 8/9 and fix accordingly.
oh man i just updated to MJA 4.3 last week,
do you think this will work?
it lets me change and add new APN when non-sprint sim cards are inserted.
i don't get any "invalid sim card" errors, i tried using a t-mobile and a telcel sim card from mexico.
but when it starts searching for networks nothing comes up.

imbmiller

May 6, 2010
oh man i just updated to MJA 4.3 last week,
do you think this will work?
it lets me change and add new APN when non-sprint sim cards are inserted.
i don't get any "invalid sim card" errors, i tried using a t-mobile and a telcel sim card from mexico.
but when it starts searching for networks nothing comes up.

I'm not sure, I'd try to get into the diag menu and change the options I listed. My guide is based on downgrading to mdc to do an international unlock tho so your guess is as good as mine.

imbmiller

May 6, 2010
So I've been on T-Mobile for the last 24 hours but my HSPA+ signal is weak and slow (under 1mb), while my co-worker on T-Mobile (and a T-Mobile phone) has full HSPA+ signal and speed (5-9mb).

Any thoughts on what could be the cause?

I'm running CM11 on MDC. I'll try some other combinations tonight to see if things change.

Hmm, I waited to reply because I wanted to test my speeds throughout the day but I am consistently getting 9-12mb down. I'm using sacs rom Idk if that would make a difference tho.

sjc915

Nov 16, 2013
I did this last night and it worked great. This phone is now working on AT&T. The only issue I am having is that on any 4.3 rom I loose the ability to change my voicemail number becuase it becomse manages by sprint voicemail... anyone know a workaround, works fin in the stock rom Settings--->Call-->Voicemail Settings. Also in the device information the phone number still shows as the old Sprint number as does the sim card on any sim reader app I use, any Ideas? Thanks.

laoh

Sep 15, 2013
I did this last night and it worked great. This phone is now working on AT&T. The only issue I am having is that on any 4.3 rom I loose the ability to change my voicemail number becuase it becomse manages by sprint voicemail... anyone know a workaround, works fin in the stock rom Settings--->Call-->Voicemail Settings. Also in the device information the phone number still shows as the old Sprint number as does the sim card on any sim reader app I use, any Ideas? Thanks.

Give YouMail a try. There was a time I was switching back and forth between Touchwiz and custom ROM and with custom ROM, the default voice mail app isn't there. So I tied Sprint VM to YouMail app and installed it on both Touchwiz and custom ROM so it didn't really matter which I was running. You can try doing the same - tie a 3rd party VM app to your ATT VM.

imbmiller

May 6, 2010
My device shows the old sprint number as well but it doesn't actually use it. I'm guessing it's reading it out of the prl or something other than the sim but I've never worried about it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

doctorman

Feb 16, 2010
Step 8 I don't have GFC I have GCF

Step 13 I do not see WCDMA
Android Setting> Connections> More Networks>Mobile Networks> Network Mode:

CDMA
LTE/CDMA
GSM/UMTS
Automatic

mine was on nothing! so I changed it to GSM/UTMS
I do not see WCDMA?

Can some one explain please

Under Roaming settings:

it is all grayed out and untouchable beside the last one GSM networks > Data

Finally can you switch back to MF9 baseband after all the playing arround or did you guys keep MDC?

Last edited:

imbmiller

May 6, 2010
Step 8 I don't have GFC I have GCF

Step 13 I do not see WCDMA
Android Setting> Connections> More Networks>Mobile Networks> Network Mode:

CDMA
LTE/CDMA
GSM/UMTS
Automatic

mine was on nothing! so I changed it to GSM/UTMS
I do not see WCDMA?

Can some one explain please

Under Roaming settings:

it is all grayed out and untouchable beside the last one GSM networks > Data

Finally can you switch back to MF9 baseband after all the playing arround or did you guys keep MDC?

Step 8 is a typo.

Step thirteen, gsm/umts should be fine, if not try automatic.

As long as you activate gsm data it should be fine.

I kept mdc. I needed a break from working on this phone.

Reactions: doctorman

doctorman

Feb 16, 2010
Step 8 is a typo.

Step thirteen, gsm/umts should be fine, if not try automatic.

As long as you activate gsm data it should be fine.

I kept mdc. I needed a break from working on this phone.

1) I figured out why yours shows WCDMA

Depending which Band you do last that is the one that shows from step "9) Press menu and back and select [2] BAND SELECTION"

so If I do WCDMA last that is the one that shows...
If I do GSM last GSM will show..
Regardless I just change it to UTMS GSM..
Not sure what WCDMA is .. I thought CDMA is only in USA

2) I used this APN and your HiAPN solution together
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45197063&postcount=202

I did that and then HiAPN asked to overwrite I chose to keep it.

3) the roaming
- Roaming network (select roaming network) is grayed out

- Roaming setting are all grayed out but GSM -Data (checked it)

-Roaming gaurd - all grayed out but GSM ( I unchecked it)

that must be the norm I tried it on 3 phones, so I am not worried.

4) How can I stop the automatic MJA software download. nagging at me..
Disable OTA updates for L720 ?
Tried all these without luck:
Steps to resolve
if you're rooted but on stock rom, do this to stop OTA's
Frozen via Titanium Backup: FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk
Renamed file: /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak
Renamed file: /system/app/ wssyncmlnps.apk to wssyncmlnps.apk.bak

The only way that worked was this But Im worried it blocks other notifications too
"pressing and holding the OTA notification taking you into the Apps manager for Google Services Framework does allow you to turn off notifications for that app ! AND it seems to work."

I am using a Not activated Tmobile Sim to test it.
It find AT&T and Tmobile Networks when I search , connects to tmobile and shows HSPA .

Thank you very much for this AWESOME post!

Now lets see if anyone had the courage and upgrade the baseband to MF9 after and see if that effects anything..
and lets find a way to avoid that OTA nag for MJA

Last edited:

hector123456789

Apr 1, 2011
made it work

I tried this method and it failed....

I did it another way and know it works!!!!! here is what I did.

1) follow step 1 on this post
2) followed the complete process on galaxys4root.com sprint carrier unlock.
3) dial *#0011#, once in service screen PRESS,,MENU,,,,,BACK,,,,,MENU,,,,,,KEY INPUT,,,,1
4) once that is done follow steps 5-13 on this post.
5) im in florida my network mode is set on:GSM/UMTS everything works no more unknown sim issues and im running on tmobiles service ...
it was a pain but I got it done ....hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

imbmiller

May 6, 2010
1) I figured out why yours shows WCDMA

Depending which Band you do last that is the one that shows from step "9) Press menu and back and select [2] BAND SELECTION"

so If I do WCDMA last that is the one that shows...
If I do GSM last GSM will show..
Regardless I just change it to UTMS GSM..
Not sure what WCDMA is .. I thought CDMA is only in USA

2) I used this APN and your HiAPN solution together
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45197063&postcount=202

I did that and then HiAPN asked to overwrite I chose to keep it.

3) the roaming
- Roaming network (select roaming network) is grayed out

- Roaming setting are all grayed out but GSM -Data (checked it)

-Roaming gaurd - all grayed out but GSM ( I unchecked it)

that must be the norm I tried it on 3 phones, so I am not worried.

4) How can I stop the automatic MJA software download. nagging at me..
Disable OTA updates for L720 ?

I am using a Not activated Tmobile Sim to test it.
It find AT&T and Tmobile Networks when I search , connects to tmobile and shows HSPA .

Thank you very much for this AWESOME post!

Now lets see if anyone had the courage and upgrade the baseband to MF9 after and see if that effects anything..
and lets find a way to avoid that OTA nag for MJA

ok
1) You are correct, I went back into the android settings I hadn't selected anything either. It was set in WCDMA only as a result of our actions in the debug menu. WCDMA/UMTS is essentially the voice service that the GSM operators us. I changed it in the guide as not to confuse.

2) I didn't have any trouble with hiapn working right away when I used it but there is no problem adding the apn manually, I was just trying to simplify for more basic users.

3) thats perfect, I'll clarify the guide so that no one worries.

4)I read somewhere that if you went into the google services method it should work but you have to delete the update out of the folder it is stored on your phone at the same time....IDK where it is located but I have seen it on this board somewhere.

5) The International unlock should be safe and the one time i rewrote the modem with identical MDC modem it saved all my setting changes. Not sure for MD9 and the domestic unlock. As soon as there is a downgrade option available for MJA i'll upgrade. I'm also working on a one click solution similar to the International unlock method.

I tried this method and it failed....

I did it another way and know it works!!!!! here is what I did.

1) follow step 1 on this post
2) followed the complete process on galaxys4root.com sprint carrier unlock.
3) dial *#0011#, once in service screen PRESS,,MENU,,,,,BACK,,,,,MENU,,,,,,KEY INPUT,,,,1
4) once that is done follow steps 5-13 on this post.
5) im in florida my network mode is set on:GSM/UMTS everything works no more unknown sim issues and im running on tmobiles service ...
it was a pain but I got it done ....hope this helps someone.

So you actually did step 1-13 . that guide is based on the guide that I gave you in step two except the link I gave was easier to complete. The method that you used to to get into the diag menu is what I meant by the app works like a tin can radio, I could never replicate the way i got in it was always a random set of menu, back, input key, select, menu back etc etc etc. I'm glad you got it unlocked though.

doctorman

Feb 16, 2010
ok

4)I read somewhere that if you went into the google services method it should work but you have to delete the update out of the folder it is stored on your phone at the same time....IDK where it is located but I have seen it on this board somewhere.

They changed the folder the downloaded file is kept... I could not find it.. if anyone has any info on this there is 10,000$ reward offered for its head.

ok

So you actually did step 1-13 . that guide is based on the guide that I gave you in step two except the link I gave was easier to complete. The method that you used to to get into the diag menu is what I meant by the app works like a tin can radio, I could never replicate the way i got in it was always a random set of menu, back, input key, select, menu back etc etc etc. I'm glad you got it unlocked though.
--------------
the service menu *#0011# worked everytime and it is not random at all
again experience from using it on 3 phones
*#0011#
Menue>Back
Menue> Select > 1
the 1 should show as registered on the screen.. wait couple of Seconds and you are in the menu
Menue>Back

and you can chose between CDMA or UTMS etc
==========

Honestly your guide was very clear and works! Thanks again.

MDC upgrade to MF9 baseband should be okay then? it is just the MJA we don;t know about

gibrannz

Nov 13, 2013
I'm not sure, I'd try to get into the diag menu and change the options I listed. My guide is based on downgrading to mdc to do an international unlock tho so your guess is as good as mine.

i tried to do that. now my phone will not get any internet? not 3g, lte or anything. just voice and sms.
i noticed service mode menu says "no service" please help

the.joeba

Nov 10, 2009
I updated to MF9 and lost signal (after changing to CDMA and then back to WCDMA), so I've reverted back to MCD. I'm not running SACS v8 and I went through the steps again.

One thing I found odd, when I'm on [3]NAS Control/[3] SIM CLASS CONTROL, if I click UMTS it enables GSM, band if I click GSM it enables UMTS. So I end up clicking GSM so UMTS is the one 'selected'.

I seem to have slightly better HSPA+ signal, but the speed hasn't gone over 1mb. Still a bit bummed about that. I'm trying to get a Nexus One working so I can compare it side by side (Nexus One is kinda bricked).

hector123456789

Apr 1, 2011
ok
1) You are correct, I went back into the android settings I hadn't selected anything either. It was set in WCDMA only as a result of our actions in the debug menu. WCDMA/UMTS is essentially the voice service that the GSM operators us. I changed it in the guide as not to confuse.

2) I didn't have any trouble with hiapn working right away when I used it but there is no problem adding the apn manually, I was just trying to simplify for more basic users.

3) thats perfect, I'll clarify the guide so that no one worries.

5) The International unlock should be safe and the one time i rewrote the modem with identical MDC modem it saved all my setting changes. Not sure for MD9 and the domestic unlock. As soon as there is a downgrade option available for MJA i'll upgrade. I'm also working on a one click solution similar to the International unlock method.

So you actually did step 1-13 . that guide is based on the guide that I gave you in step two except the link I gave was easier to complete. The method that you used to to get into the diag menu is what I meant by the app works like a tin can radio, I could never replicate the way i got in it was always a random set of menu, back, input key, select, menu back etc etc etc. I'm glad you got it unlocked though.[/QUOTE

you are right, but following video instructions can be more efficient to some users.
but I will say this without your instructions non of this would be possible so thank you!
And the *#0011# ...menu.......back. ......key input.......1...........will always work....

Reactions: the.joeba

the.joeba

Nov 10, 2009
9) Press menu and back and select [2] BAND SELECTION and select WCDMA/GSM ALL for both WCDMA and GSM band preferences. I selected the ALL choice for LTE as well even though I know it isn’t supported for TMOBILE.

I noticed that when I select any of the nested settings in Band Selection, only the last chosen option gets a *, so if LTE ALL is selected, LTE/LTE ALL each get a *

I've made sure WCDMA ALL was my last selected, and I seem to be staying on HSPA+ instead of being switched to Edge constantly.

imbmiller

May 6, 2010
I noticed that when I select any of the nested settings in Band Selection, only the last chosen option gets a *, so if LTE ALL is selected, LTE/LTE ALL each get a *

I've made sure WCDMA ALL was my last selected, and I seem to be staying on HSPA+ instead of being switched to Edge constantly.

Awesome, have your speeds increased a well? I had a thought hat you could narrow the bands to your specific freq Fo hspa+ in your area nd maybe that would improve the speed.

Reactions: gspears

the.joeba

Nov 10, 2009
Awesome, have your speeds increased a well? I had a thought hat you could narrow the bands to your specific freq Fo hspa+ in your area nd maybe that would improve the speed.

I don't have the HSPA+ Speeds that others have (even co-workers), but it's better then what I had with Sprint. It's pretty strange that my co-worker gets 5mb/s and I get 1mb/s. If I get my Nexus One working I might be able to determine if it's my device or something with my account.

imbmiller

May 6, 2010
They changed the folder the downloaded file is kept... I could not find it.. if anyone has any info on this there is 10,000$ reward offered for its head.

MDC upgrade to MF9 baseband should be okay then? it is just the MJA we don;t know about

I always thought it was in the cache folder somewhere, however that folders contents are hidden by default.

Mf9 is solid according to nicotheandroidguy. And hopefully we can know more soon about mja.

Reactions: doctorman

imbmiller

May 6, 2010
I don't have the HSPA+ Speeds that others have (even co-workers), but it's better then what I had with Sprint. It's pretty strange that my co-worker gets 5mb/s and I get 1mb/s. If I get my Nexus One working I might be able to determine if it's my device or something with my account.

That's a pretty sad report for sprint when broken tmobile sig is stronger than their functioning sig. You should compare the signal strength in decibels that you get vs. Your Co workers. If I remember correctly that telinfo app showed those signals. What area are you in?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOWTO] / [GUIDE] SPH-L720 Domestic SIM Unlock T-Mobile:AT&T:metroPCS:Straighttalk

Streamlined Guide for Domestic T-Mobile GSM Unlock for SPH-L720

Credit for all of this goes to @autoprime and @nicotheandroidguy

A few notes: I used Windows 7 for the odin flashes , my phone is a SPH-L720 and it is not active on the Sprint network, also the sim card from t-mobile was inactive (brand new from t-mobile store.) and it has a bad esn. I am located in the Phoenix az market so I'm able to take advantage of the 1900mhz band that tmobile has here.

I'm unsure of how this will work with mnvos or other primary carriers and frankly I don't care at the moment, this is my primary phone. Update: confirmed hspa+ for tmobile, metroPCS, straight talk and AT&T.

I HAD MY NEW UNACTIVATED TMOBILE SIM CARD IN THIS ENTIRE TIME

1) First I reverted my rom to a stock MF9 rooted touchwiz rom, instructions and one click odin here:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486134 I’m trying not to straight copy and paste someone else’s work so take a look at that post if you need a clean start. If you are coming from non stock you will need to boot into stock recovery and wipe data/cache before you get started. (I also later used SAC’s rom after a failed attempt at an AOKP fix and it worked as well ) you can switch to any ROM later and the unlock will stick.

2)I rebooted the phone and followed the instructions listed here in post #1 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2415587

3) I went to the dialer and typed *#0011# which brought me to the "service mode" Menu.

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE GETTING THE HIDDEN MENU TO OPEN DO NOT FEAR! I had a ton of trouble at first. In some builds you need to activate an option by adding a line to your build.prop or changing the no flag in efs/hiddenmenu to ON. Google it, there is a ton of help out there.

4) Press the left menu softbutton (the menu button that lights up and vibrates when you touch it) then press the either the button “select” or “Key Input” and type the number 1 or 2 into the box, if nothing happens press menu and select the “back “ button then repeat. This app is sort of like a tin can radio, you can kind of tell that it’s working, but it doesn’t work well.

Depending on if you pressed 1 or 2 in the dialogue box it will take you into either an UMTS or CDMA menu. If you are in the umts menu, press the menu button and select back, this should then proceed to the next step.

5) Select CDMA, then 1.COMMON, press next page twice until you reach page three of COMMON and select 8.PREF MODE SET and select GSM_WCDMA_ONLY

6) Press menu and back until you are at the main menu and select [1]UMTS, then select [1]DEBUG SCREEN, then select [6]PHONE CONTROL, select [2]FAKE SECURITY CONTROL and make sure it is set to ON
    7)Press menu and back and select [3] NAS CONTROL. We are going to check a few different settings in this menu so remember how to get here cause I don’t want to repeat myself.
    [1] CIPHERING CONTROL = OFF
    [2] INTEGRITY CONTROL =ON
    [3] SIM CLASS CONTROL = UMTS
    [4] REVISION CONTROL = DO NOT TOUCH
    [5] RRC(HSPA) CONTROL = DO NOT TOUCH
    [6] DUALMODE IMPROVEMENT CONTROL= DO NOT TOUCH
    [7] NAS AVOID SECURITY CONTROL= OFF, 0
    [8] BIP BLOCK = 1

8) Press menu and back twice, you should be on the PHONE CONTROL menu. Select [7] NETWORK CONTROL, select [1] GFC and make sure that it is set to [1]GSM/(E)GPRS/WCDMA REL8 .

9) Press menu and back and select [2] BAND SELECTION and select WCDMA/GSM ALL for both WCDMA and GSM band preferences. I selected the ALL choice for LTE as well even though I know it isn’t supported for TMOBILE.

10) Under the NETWORK CONTROL menu we just came from select [4] AQUISITION ORDER and change it to [3]UMTS_GSM

11) Press menu and back until you are in the PHONE CONTROL menu and select [5] SIMULATION , press the [2] SW WATCHDOG button 6(six) times and then the [3] HW WATCHDOG 6(six) times. Nothing will happen at all to let you know if you have done this correcctly but as soon as you finish the sixth press on HW WATCHDOG reboot the phone manually:manually:manually IMMEDIATELY . I’m not sure what this does or why this works but @nicotheandroidguy seems to have divined that this is the vital part of the process.

YOUR PHONE STILL WILL NOT HAVE DATA OR VOICE WHEN YOU REBOOT FROM THE WATCHDOG TAPS DO NOT PANIC!!!!!!!!!!! (hopefullly you have your towel with you)

12) WIFI that sonofa up and search for apn settings shortcut and build.prop editor in the Play Store.

Go into the build.prop editor and add the following two lines:

ril.sales_code=LOL
    ro.csc.sales_code=LOL

REBOOT PHONE MANUALLY now.

Now Install and create a shortcut on the home screen and select to open. Press the menu soft key and select add apn.

Use:

Name: T-Mobile
    APN: epc.tmobile.com or fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices)
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS proxy:
    MMS port:
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260
    Authentication type:
    APN type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms

13) Go into your android settings, select wireless networks, you should see the network mode set as wcdma only do not change this, we set this in the Service Mode Menu , Check that your roaming settings are set to for roaming data/ international data etc.also make sure that there are no roaming guards left on. (roaming guards will only allow you to uncheck GSM and GSM data under international roaming.)

14) reboot
    15) profit

At this point I had full access to the TMOBILE UMTS/HSPA+ network and voice/text/mms were working.

At this point you may change roms, be careful not to update past mf9 as you may be unable to downgrade to mdc. YOU MUST DOWNGRADE TO MDC MODEM FOR THIS TO WORK.
    If you use a non touchwiz rom you can still access the tellinfo menu by pressing *#*#4636#*#* and selecting WCDMA only and manually adding the apn.

GOOD LUCK! let me know what needs changed in the guide as well.

If you have questions it's useful to know your Baseband /kernel/ rom.
    Potential BREAKTHROUGH!

It seems (I am in the process of working this out right now) that the FULL service menu CAN be accessed on ANY modem (including NAE)
    I found this information while looking to domestic sim unlock the Galaxy S4 Mini Model SPH-L520.
    E:V:A has cracked the service menu for the S4 Mini which ALSO works for the SPH-L720 model!
    Follow his tutorial here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52255287#post52255287

But the steps are as follows. Dial *#0011# and then hit:

==> [MENU] + [Back]
    ==> [MENU] + [Key Input] + "Q"
    ==> [MENU] + [Key Input] + "0000"
    ==> <wait ~5-10 seconds>

I have tested and it WORKS on the S4 NAE modem!! All props to E:V:A. I'm sure he wasn't aware that his method also WORKS on S4 for Sprint, since he is using the S4 international European version. Looks like possible one won't need to downgrade the modem anymore to make this work :)

Hit thanks if this helped you out, and give E:V:A some love
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2928250

DONT FORGET TO DONATE if you can. He's spent a lot of time and research on this.

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app
    Thank you for this thread, I will try again with these steps.

A few notes:

3) i went to the dialer and typed *##0011# which brought me to the "service mode" menu.

This should be *#0011# I believe

5) Select CDMA, then 1.COMMON, press next page until page three of COMMON and select 8.PREF MODE SET and selet GSM_WCDMA_ONLY

I had to go 9. NEXT PAGE > twice before doing 8.
    FYI, I was on a T-Mobile ROM with a Sprint kernel, wiped everything, and then flashed a T-Mobile 4.3 AOSP ROM. Worked perfect right out of the gate. Even using the T-Mobile kernel that came with it. Everything works right away. Even wifi/bluetooth and such. Just throwing it out there, because it went a LOT easier than I thought it would.