[Q] Honor X1 - Three UK sim no data access

Search This thread

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
Hi,

Hope Im not duplicating anything here. I've got a massive problem. I use the Three UK network on PAYG and take the all in one 15 bundle, giving me a great deal - 300 mins, 3000 texts and totally unlimited 4G data with no worries that I'll ever spend more than 15 quid a month on my phone.

The massive problem is that now I've bought what I thought was the perfect device, The Honor X1 LTE with 32GB internal, I can't use the Three sim card for data. It tells me I have to buy a data sim to use the internet on the go. The sim thinks the phone is a tablet.

I'm now at a point where I have several crap options:

1) I have to change to a different network, assuming it's possible to use data on a phone sim card in the Honor mediapad x1 on other networks.
2) Use the phone with no mobile data access.
3) Sell the phone.
4) Work out how to make the sim card stop thinking it's a tablet.

Please somebody, help me out here. Does anyone have a UK sim which works on the X1 with calls, texts and mobile data for a decent monthly cost?

Thanks in advance,

HRH.

mru55

Mar 10, 2014
If the SIM tells you that it is a tablet, call your provider (Three) and explain them that they have to remove the block; or you will have to change provider.
Be firm but very polite.

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
If the SIM tells you that it is a tablet, call your provider (Three) and explain them that they have to remove the block; or you will have to change provider.
Be firm but very polite.

I did exactly that and they are happy to let me go. We spent over an hour on the phone. They say there's nothing they can do. There's no block to lift as such. It is simply not possible to use a Three phone sim for data access in that phone. At least according to the Team Leader.

Has anybody got data access on this phone with a normal sim?

mru55

Mar 10, 2014
Wow! Hardliners. That means that the offer ain't that great if they are offering unlimited LTE but only if you use a phone which makes it impossible to consume serious data..............

Then phone can definitely do LTE data. Between my wife and I, we have used several different providers in Germany, Holland, Belgium, and France.

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
Wow! Hardliners. That means that the offer ain't that great if they are offering unlimited LTE but only if you use a phone which makes it impossible to consume serious data..............

Then phone can definitely do LTE data. Between my wife and I, we have used several different providers in Germany, Holland, Belgium, and France.

Thanks for the reply. So I presume the Sim cards you used were all normal phone sims which allowed you to make calls and send texts as well?

mru55

Mar 10, 2014
Correct. Just "voice" sims. Data traffic is charged (dearly). My employer was none too thrilled;but hey, I was working off my work e-mails...........
On one private one, I can book 1GB UMTS data for €10 for 30 days. And the card works no matter what; even international data roaming.

ralphrmartin

Nov 19, 2010
Cardiff
I've been round this loop, and was happy with 3 until this happened. I argued with them for a long time, but they just did not want to know.

If I have a phone SIM, no data is allowed as it is in a "tablet".
If I have a data SIM, no phone calls can be made.
In short, 3 simply cannot (or at least refuse to) provide a service to anyone with this device.

In the end I signed up with and took my number to Giff Gaff, and am happy. If you want an introduction, let me know, and we both get £5 back.

Reactions: DrHRH

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
I've been round this loop, and was happy with 3 until this happened. I argued with them for a long time, but they just did not want to know.

In short, 3 simply cannot (or at least refuse to) provide a service to anyone with this device.

In the end I signed up with and took my number to Giff Gaff, and am happy. If you want an introduction, let me know, and we both get £5 back.

Sounds like I might not have a great deal of choice. How do we sort it logistically then? PM me if you need to.

Reactions: ralphrmartin

mru55

Mar 10, 2014
Just goes to show that what seems to be a good deal is just another attempt to rip you off.
Glad to hear that you found a good solution for you.

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
Just goes to show that what seems to be a good deal is just another attempt to rip you off.
Glad to hear that you found a good solution for you.

Before I commit to this I've got 2 questions:

1) Is the X1 good enough as a daily driver to warrant switching? Bearing in mind I'm using a superb phone at the moment, the Lumia 1520 whose only shortcomings are to do with lack of apps. Otherwise it's silky smooth and really stable.
2) Has anyone tried TPO? It's a new network that uses EE, the UK best coverage.

https://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/PAYM-Order-Review-Tariff/?//20/

What do people think?

Reji Kamal

Aug 24, 2014
Hi,

Hope Im not duplicating anything here. I've got a massive problem. I use the Three UK network on PAYG and take the all in one 15 bundle, giving me a great deal - 300 mins, 3000 texts and totally unlimited 4G data with no worries that I'll ever spend more than 15 quid a month on my phone.

The massive problem is that now I've bought what I thought was the perfect device, The Honor X1 LTE with 32GB internal, I can't use the Three sim card for data. It tells me I have to buy a data sim to use the internet on the go. The sim thinks the phone is a tablet.

I'm now at a point where I have several crap options:

1) I have to change to a different network, assuming it's possible to use data on a phone sim card in the Honor mediapad x1 on other networks.
2) Use the phone with no mobile data access.
3) Sell the phone.
4) Work out how to make the sim card stop thinking it's a tablet.

Please somebody, help me out here. Does anyone have a UK sim which works on the X1 with calls, texts and mobile data for a decent monthly cost?

Thanks in advance,

HRH.

Hi

I own mediapad honor x1 bought directly from Huawei (model 503L ,LTE) Data service is working all sims I checked ie Tmobile, 3, vodafone. Only problem i found is vodafone and o2 4G frequency is not compatible (800 Mz) but 3g works fine with them also. I am currently using Vodafone sim, no issue with data connection.
:)O

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
Hi

I own mediapad honor x1 bought directly from Huawei (model 503L ,LTE) Data service is working all sims I checked ie Tmobile, 3, vodafone. Only problem i found is vodafone and o2 4G frequency is not compatible (800 Mz) but 3g works fine with them also. I am currently using Vodafone sim, no issue with data connection.
:)O

Thanks for that. So do you know if EE gives you a 4G signal then? I'm very surprised that you managed to get access to any kind of data using a 3 sim card.

Reji Kamal

Aug 24, 2014
Thanks for that. So do you know if EE gives you a 4G signal then? I'm very surprised that you managed to get access to any kind of data using a 3 sim card.

Yes EE and 3 mobile 4g works well in my device.To make it confirm I personally visited their shop in Sheffield and asked for sim only contract, inserted sim card and checked, EE gives 17 mb downloading speed too, vodafone 3g works as normal as in other devices. both downloading and uploading below 8 mb

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
Yes EE and 3 mobile 4g works well in my device.To make it confirm I personally visited their shop in Sheffield and asked for sim only contract, inserted sim card and checked, EE gives 17 mb downloading speed too, vodafone 3g works as normal as in other devices. both downloading and uploading below 8 mb

Are you absolutely sure about Three and is it a phone sim which gives you texts, data and phone calls? It seems weird that yours works and both my PAYG and my contract Three sim cards tell me I'm not allowed to use a phone sim in this phone. Was it the 3 shop you tested the sim in?

Reji Kamal

Aug 24, 2014
Are you absolutely sure about Three and is it a phone sim which gives you texts, data and phone calls? It seems weird that yours works and both my PAYG and my contract Three sim cards tell me I'm not allowed to use a phone sim in this phone. Was it the 3 shop you tested the sim in?

Yes ,3 shop in Sheffield .At that that time the shop don't have a Pay as you go micro Sim but they took a normal Sim and re sized it .then we tried .IT was working well.

mru55

Mar 10, 2014
I can only emphasise that it is a question of policy whether a network is accessible, rather than a question of modem/radio capability.

mru55

Mar 10, 2014
I would guess that the policy did not change, but that it is part of the tariff / offer.
Reji kamal used a pay as you go SIM of 3,which does not have the block.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Correct. Just "voice" sims. Data traffic is charged (dearly). My employer was none too thrilled;but hey, I was working off my work e-mails...........
    On one private one, I can book 1GB UMTS data for €10 for 30 days. And the card works no matter what; even international data roaming.

Sounds like I might not have a great deal of choice. How do we sort it logistically then? PM me if you need to.
    This is post #14.....

Is should work with EE, I have the Media Pad M1 and I am able to make calls on that no problem. I'd go into an EE store if you can and just confirm it will work on your device