[MOD][ROOT] VZW GN2 GSM Unlock - Add APN Data - Remove Non-Verizon SIM Message

Search This thread

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
Overview:
There are a number of threads out there discussing if the VZW GN2 is carrier unlocked and what methods work, etc and I am creating this thread to pull it all together.

First and foremost, the VZW GN2 comes SIM unlocked out of the box. It is global ready and you can technically put in any SIM (assuming it is active) and not need an unlock code or the unlock method you have seen in other posts (AT&T or T-Mobile variants). This includes domestic carriers such as AT&T and T-mobile. Also voice should work without any changes, however, data will not work unless you add APN data.

Verizon chose to only put their APN data on the phone and block the ability to add APN data via settings. Most likely so you use their global services to make more $$$.

How to add APN data:
In order to get data working you have to add carrier specific data to the apns-conf.xml file. While you may have been able to do this is in the past on other devices under settings, VZW has blocked this.

Method 1:
See Adrynalyne's post below (Post #2) for a flashable mod (via custom recovery) that will enable the Add APN menu by removing Verizon's block. (For deodexed roms only)

Method 2:
  1. Ensure your phone is rooted
  2. adb pull /system/etc/apns-conf.xml
  3. Add the carrier data to apns-conf.xml with your favorite text/xml editor and save
  4. adb push your modified apn-conf.xml file back to /sdcard/
  5. Copy this file back to /system/etc/ and change permissions (I use root explorer)
  6. Power down and change your SIM card (AT&T, T-mobile, whatever) if you hadn't already done so
  7. Power back on and go to Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names (if done properly you should see the APN data you entered for your respective carrier).
  8. Select one of the APN listings and then you should have working data
  9. Profit

VZW & AT&T APN Settings:
A working example so you can see how I added additional lines at the beginning for AT&T 3G/HSDPA+/Tether/MMS
http://pastebin.com/ms7a07sE

Removing the Non-Verizon SIM message :
This will occur on roms that include Samsung's Setup Wizard (including stock) - all others can ignore

Method 1:
- Freeze "Setup wizard 1.0" in Titanium Backup

Method 2:
See imnuts' post below (Post #4) regarding replacing a file (for deodexed roms only)​

Credits:
Adrynalyne: Removing VZW's lame Add APN block
GermanGuy: AT&T APN data
GitNick: Helping me tinker around and finding the secret menus
imnuts: Removing non-VZW SIM nag and APN list from international GN2
thevsg: Testing SinTel sim to confirm unlock with foreign carrier

NOTE: I am not responsible for any issues caused by tinkering around with this due to the nature of root and messing with /system. Use this at your own risk and ask someone if you have any question before doing something that may mess up your device.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Ok, I have confirmed this to work, and works well with imnut's mod to remove the sim warning.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wqmad2ypgsyd75z

This enables the apn editor under settings.

Go to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names, menu button.

This is a flashable mod! :D

Screenshot_2012-12-11-22-51-29.png

Note to rom devs: Feel free to use this, but give credit where due. Trust me, I will know if you kang it ;)

Last edited:

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
If anyone is interested, I combined the International Note 2 (N7100), AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon apns-conf.xml file to create what is hopefully a fairly complete APNs list. Not saying it will work for your carrier, or that it works at all (remember, I don't have a device yet ;)), but people can use it if they wish. I put it on Pastebin for everyone's viewing pleasure and you can get it here.

Last edited:

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I hate double posting, but if people also want to get rid of the annoying ongoing notification when using a non-VZW SIM card, I've found the culprit and fixed it. Download this apk for a deodexed ROM and replace the original in /system/app/, then reboot. Make sure that /system is mounted as read/write before copy/pasting, and also that you're on a deodexed ROM. After copying it over, reboot and you shouldn't have the ongoing notification anymore.

beefchopper

Oct 7, 2012
If your phone is rooted can you just use an app like APN Global or APN Manager Pro to add the APN's you need if you are uncomfortable with manually screwing around with files?

Reactions: JJtheMarine

dms76

Sep 28, 2009
Akron, OH
You have to install APN Manager Pro to /system/app for it to work properly. You should then be able to use it.

I am using stock rooted and had issues getting APN Manager Pro to work properly even after converting to a system app. I used APN Global which is free and needs to be converted to a system app. I had no problems with Tmobile other then it's super slow at 2G.

Reactions: HollyWood Josh

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
I am using stock rooted and had issues getting APN Manager Pro to work properly even after converting to a system app. I used APN Global which is free and needs to be converted to a system app. I had no problems with Tmobile other then it's super slow at 2G.

Thanks for the suggestion on APN Global - I will try it out and start recommended it to folks.

joderme

Jun 13, 2010

Thanks for the suggestion on APN Global - I will try it out and start recommended it to folks.

What APN name are you using for t-mobile?

Try epc.tmobile.com if you haven't already.

dms76

Sep 28, 2009
Akron, OH

What APN name are you using for t-mobile?

Try epc.tmobile.com if you haven't already.

I installed apn global as system app, rebooted, while connected to wifi I ran the app and it download a database. I noticed I had apns for tombile under my phones software. I think it was epc.tmobile.com, honestly I never expected to be able to contribute and didn't pay to much attention. Usually I'm asking the questions. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

joderme

Jun 13, 2010
I installed apn global as system app, rebooted, while connected to wifi I ran the app and it download a database. I noticed I had apns for tombile under my phones software. I think it was epc.tmobile.com, honestly I never expected to be able to contribute and didn't pay to much attention. Usually I'm asking the questions. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks - I figured you would be able to get 3G/HSDPA+ on this phone with Tmob.

FMXP

Jul 30, 2007
Can someone confirm if the Verizon Note II is quad-band GSM/tri-band HSPA or not?

FMXP

Jul 30, 2007
If that's true then the VZW Note II is useless outside of the Americas. In Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa, the GSM bands used are 900/1800. Seems kinda dumb that it works on AT&T's frequencies but not on frequencies used in the rest of the world.

beefchopper

Oct 7, 2012
If that's true then the VZW Note II is useless outside of the Americas. In Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa, the GSM bands used are 900/1800. Seems kinda dumb that it works on AT&T's frequencies but not on frequencies used in the rest of the world.

From phone Scoop here are the Frequencies for the VZW GN2:

Modes

LTE 750
WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
CDMA 850 / 1900
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

LordRalh3

Jul 23, 2011
Minnesota
Its already been confirmed that the vzw n2 works great on gsm in other countries, speedtests and all

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Overview:
    There are a number of threads out there discussing if the VZW GN2 is carrier unlocked and what methods work, etc and I am creating this thread to pull it all together.

First and foremost, the VZW GN2 comes SIM unlocked out of the box. It is global ready and you can technically put in any SIM (assuming it is active) and not need an unlock code or the unlock method you have seen in other posts (AT&T or T-Mobile variants). This includes domestic carriers such as AT&T and T-mobile. Also voice should work without any changes, however, data will not work unless you add APN data.

Verizon chose to only put their APN data on the phone and block the ability to add APN data via settings. Most likely so you use their global services to make more $$$.

How to add APN data:
    In order to get data working you have to add carrier specific data to the apns-conf.xml file. While you may have been able to do this is in the past on other devices under settings, VZW has blocked this.

Method 1:
    See Adrynalyne's post below (Post #2) for a flashable mod (via custom recovery) that will enable the Add APN menu by removing Verizon's block. (For deodexed roms only)

Method 2:
    1. Ensure your phone is rooted
    2. adb pull /system/etc/apns-conf.xml
    3. Add the carrier data to apns-conf.xml with your favorite text/xml editor and save
    4. adb push your modified apn-conf.xml file back to /sdcard/
    5. Copy this file back to /system/etc/ and change permissions (I use root explorer)
    6. Power down and change your SIM card (AT&T, T-mobile, whatever) if you hadn't already done so
    7. Power back on and go to Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names (if done properly you should see the APN data you entered for your respective carrier).
    8. Select one of the APN listings and then you should have working data
    9. Profit

VZW & AT&T APN Settings:
    A working example so you can see how I added additional lines at the beginning for AT&T 3G/HSDPA+/Tether/MMS
    http://pastebin.com/ms7a07sE

Removing the Non-Verizon SIM message :
    This will occur on roms that include Samsung's Setup Wizard (including stock) - all others can ignore

Method 1:
    - Freeze "Setup wizard 1.0" in Titanium Backup

Method 2:
    See imnuts' post below (Post #4) regarding replacing a file (for deodexed roms only)​

Credits:
    Adrynalyne: Removing VZW's lame Add APN block
    GermanGuy: AT&T APN data
    GitNick: Helping me tinker around and finding the secret menus
    imnuts: Removing non-VZW SIM nag and APN list from international GN2
    thevsg: Testing SinTel sim to confirm unlock with foreign carrier

NOTE: I am not responsible for any issues caused by tinkering around with this due to the nature of root and messing with /system. Use this at your own risk and ask someone if you have any question before doing something that may mess up your device.
    Ok, I have confirmed this to work, and works well with imnut's mod to remove the sim warning.

This enables the apn editor under settings.

Go to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names, menu button.

This is a flashable mod! :D

Screenshot_2012-12-11-22-51-29.png

Note to rom devs: Feel free to use this, but give credit where due. Trust me, I will know if you kang it ;)
    If anyone is interested, I combined the International Note 2 (N7100), AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon apns-conf.xml file to create what is hopefully a fairly complete APNs list. Not saying it will work for your carrier, or that it works at all (remember, I don't have a device yet ;)), but people can use it if they wish. I put it on Pastebin for everyone's viewing pleasure and you can get it here.
    I hate double posting, but if people also want to get rid of the annoying ongoing notification when using a non-VZW SIM card, I've found the culprit and fixed it. Download this apk for a deodexed ROM and replace the original in /system/app/, then reboot. Make sure that /system is mounted as read/write before copy/pasting, and also that you're on a deodexed ROM. After copying it over, reboot and you shouldn't have the ongoing notification anymore.
    Thanks for your work. I flashed it in recovery. However, under Mobile Network when I hit menu, my only option is reset to default just like before. I'm on Beans V2 ROM. Any help will be appreciated.

Total derpage on my part.

Here you go. I also updated original post.