Portable USB DVD Drive works with TF700 (for data CD's/DVD's only)!

Search This thread

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
FYI - I was able to connect my portable Toshiba USB DVD burner to my TF700, mount the DVD and read the DVD without problems. You will need root.

Here's how:

1. Connect DVD drive
2. Go to an Android OS prompt as the root user
3. Create mount point:
- mkdir /Removable/CDROM
4. Mount DVD:
- mount -t iso9660 /dev/block/sr0 /Removable/CDROM

That's it! You can now read data CD's/DVD's with your TF700!

I never did get this working on my TF101 (I don't think it has the "ISO9660" filesytem type on the TF101)....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

tpmullan

Jan 17, 2011
Now all I need is a DVD drive that is powered over usb and ubuntu then it will replace my laptop completely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
That's great, thanks for the info! Mine unfortunately is powered by two USB cables.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
For what it's worth, here is the exact model of portable USB DVD burner that I'm using (and it's powered by the USB connection - no external power or dual-usb connections needed) - it's was only $26.99 (refurbished from MicroCenter):

Toshiba PA3834U-1DV2 (Portable SuperMulti DVD)

palmerfr

Oct 29, 2005
Nanterre
Did you check a product from samsung called smarthub?

In this line of product, they have a cd/dvd writer that I bought for my mother to watch dvd on her ipad.
I also tested it on my android tablet and it worked fine.

Envoyé depuis mon ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T avec Tapatalk

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Thanks for the info and the model number specification. Now I know what to look for.

That is *very* strange that you just responded to this! I just tested this again yesterday since upgrading to Jelly Bean and it no longer works with Jelly Bean! :(

It looks like the "iso9660" filesystem type is no longer supported in Jelly Bean, so there is no way to mount standard data DVD's. The drive is still recognized, so you *could* mount DVD's if they are written in some other format, such as ext3 or ext4, but that is *very* uncommon and wouldn't be of much use.

So, save your money - it doesn't work anymore...

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
wait, what? ISO9660 is not supported by JB? That sounds more like a reversion to me....

Yeah, tell me about it! It makes no sense... Maybe it will be added again in the future by Asus (or more likely by an XDA developer!), but as of right now, it just doesn't work - I spent about an hour yesterday trying to make it work (and tried again today, just to be sure)... That kinda sucks! It was nice being able to ready a data CD/DVD on the TF700 when needed!

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
That is just plain weird. Why would they drop something as universal as that?

If there a missing .ko or lib file, or is it just not enabled in the kernel.... I'm still confused how they managed this at all.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
FYI - Another user posted about a $34 external DVD-Writer drive that not only allows you to read data DVD's, but also allows you to play regular video DVD's on the TF700! Apparently, the drive handles the iso9660 stuff internally, so it should work with any tablet, to be honest... Can't beat it for the price!

Here is a link to the thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32777889

I have ordered the drive - will verify that everything works when it gets here...

jtrosky

May 8, 2008

Check the thread that I linked in the post above yours for details, but in short, the drive works great for reading data DVDs.

Personally, I don't think it works very well for watching actual video DVDs (again, see the thread above for details), but it does work - just not very convenient...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Darksurf

Mar 15, 2010
ISO9660 support is in the kernel. We just need the kernel modules or a custom kernel with support compiled in. Its just Linux Science.. not Rocket Science. I don't think it has anything in particular to do with "Jelly Bean". Just the Devs compiled the kernel without support like morons..

Edit: just FYI, I'm talking about ASUS kernel devs... not our wonderful xda devs ;D

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

redheadplantguy

May 10, 2011
Louisville KY
FYI - I was able to connect my portable Toshiba USB DVD burner to my TF700, mount the DVD and read the DVD without problems. You will need root.

Here's how:

1. Connect DVD drive
3. Create mount point:
- mkdir /Removable/CDROM
4. Mount DVD:

I never did get this working on my TF101 (I don't think it has the "ISO9660" filesytem type on the TF101)....

i dont understand android os prompt? is that terminal? and i type commands in there?

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
i dont understand android os prompt? is that terminal? and i type commands in there?

Correct. Just open Terminal, and then type the commands... ALthough, I just realized that I never said to become the root user first with this command:

su

(the su command will "Switch User" to the root user). Let me know if you need any more help.

EDIT: By the way, I just re-confirmed that this process still works with the latest version of CROMi-X (I'm using the @_that kernel that is the default with CROMi-X). Still works perfectly...

Last edited:

redheadplantguy

May 10, 2011
Louisville KY
Correct. Just open Terminal, and then type the commands... ALthough, I just realized that I never said to become the root user first with this command:

su

(the su command will "Switch User" to the root user). Let me know if you need any more help.

EDIT: By the way, I just re-confirmed that this process still works with the latest version of CROMi-X (I'm using the @_that kernel that is the default with CROMi-X). Still works perfectly...

Hehe, I know about SU command.
My problem now is, when I input -mkdir, says mkdir not found.
When I remove -, it creates directory.
Trying to -mount says not found, but without - says read only.
I can't remember how to make partition r/w in terminal, but would that even work.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Hehe, I know about SU command.
My problem now is, when I input -mkdir, says mkdir not found.
When I remove -, it creates directory.
Trying to -mount says not found, but without - says read only.
I can't remember how to make partition r/w in terminal, but would that even work.

Yeah, as you've already found, you should not enter the "-"'s - they were just there for cosmetic reasons...

To remount read/write from terminal, use this command (as root):

mount -o remount,rw /Removable

Replace "/Removable" with whatever filesystem you are trying to remount in read/write mode (if different).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Actually, I'm a little confused now - if you were able to do the "mkdir /Removable/CDROM" command, then your /Removable filesystem should have already been read/write (as it should be - you would never want that filesystem to be read-only)...

Can you post the command you are typing the response you are getting (that is indicating read-only)?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's how:

1. Connect DVD drive
    3. Create mount point:
    - mkdir /Removable/CDROM
    4. Mount DVD: