The great battery impression thread

Search This thread

Bombhills

Aug 16, 2011
Hi there!:) I thought we needed one of these threads to get a clear image of how the phone performs IRL.
We'll all heard rather varying reports from the reviews, some good other disastrous...:eek:

1. Please post your impressions of the battery here.
2. Please be specific about how you've used it during the day.
3. Screenshots of the battery settings are most welcome.
4. Show image of screen-on time as well as the list of apps (thanks to Shadehh)
5. Brightness, is it auto? custom? If custom, %? (thanks to Shadehh)
5. 3g / WiFi on? If yes for how long? (thanks to Shadehh)
7. Haptic feedback? (thanks to Shadehh)

.... whatever else comes to mind.

TIP: best would be to simply download 'GSAM Battery Monitor' from the app store and make a screenshot and post the results (it's the most simple and fastest way ) - Shadehh

Thank you!
Swan dive!

Last edited:

shadehh

Mar 27, 2011
Please add these helpful rules to the thread OP

1. Show image of screen-on time as well as the list of apps
2. Brightness, is it auto? custom? If custom, %?
3. 3g / WiFi on? If yes for how long?
4. Haptic feedback?

TIP: best would be to simply download 'GSAM Battery Monitor' from the app store and make a screenshot and post the results (it's the most simple and fastest way IMO)

thank you

EDIT: Also, ask a mod if you can change your thread title to Battery Stats Thread... the one you have doesn't sound too attractive :)

Last edited:

jaZzyjeff818

Nov 6, 2010

4. Haptic feedback?

TIP: best would be to simply download 'GSAM Battery Monitor' from the app store and make a screenshot and post the results (it's the most simple and fastest way IMO)

thank you

EDIT: Also, ask a mod if you can change your thread title to Battery Stats Thread... the one you have doesn't sound too attractive :)

Just downloaded and will report back in a few hours.. Currently at 52% and it is 4:46pm PST

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Uh60m Pilot

May 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21
I have to say out of all the battery threads with people who do not have the device yet bickering about pre release software this thread actually seems useful. Thanks OP. Hopefully you can get some more people to contribute.

sent from my perfect 32GB Nexus 7

Reactions: wardy277

Anubis007

Jun 15, 2012
yes please, we want to see numbers. real life usage is usually different from one another.

it would be a shame if this phone didn't last as long as the S3 since it has the same size of battery coupled with a more efficient chipset and display.

jaZzyjeff818

Nov 6, 2010

Wow disregard this I did it all wrong -___-

Last edited:

Bombhills

Aug 16, 2011

4. Haptic feedback?

TIP: best would be to simply downloadGSAM Battery Monitor'[/B][/URL] from the app store and make a screenshot and post the results (it's the most simple and fastest way IMO)

thank you

Thank you for adding additional questions!:)
Haha, alright, how do i ask a mod?

jaZzyjeff818

Nov 6, 2010

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353033701964.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353033701964.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 12,076
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353033711423.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353033711423.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 11,852
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353033720320.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353033720320.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 10,959

jaZzyjeff818

Nov 6, 2010

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353038622235.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353038622235.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 10,096
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353038643628.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353038643628.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8,561
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353038654423.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353038654423.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 7,812
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353038665360.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353038665360.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 7,232
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353038675736.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353038675736.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 7,010
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353038689904.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353038689904.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 6,851

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
None of these strike me for 'good' battery :/. I get 3-4+ hours screen in the same or longer times :/. I really hope custom kernels, ROMs, and UC will improve the battery, I don't want to be downgrading battery.

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
AOKP (Milestone 1 - 4.1.2)
Matrix Kernel (24.0 - CFS)
Ondemmand (Screen On) (800/100)
Wheatley (Screen Off) (400/100)
Deep Idle (N/A - Deadline)
BLX (N/A - Inverted Apps)
Black Exodus (Stock Voltage)

doubleojon

Jan 27, 2011
Pittsburgh
From the first screen shot, Android System sucked the most battery. That's simply not right, screen should always be the biggest culprit; its because of this that I believe that the dev community will be able to significantly increase the battery life. Bugless Beast, anyone? Don't lose hope yet.

jaZzyjeff818

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah battery life isn't a beast like I would want. And I don't even have my other gmail and email account syncing like I did on my other phone :/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

G

GuestK00431

Battery life isn't the best so don't expect 4 hours screen time. Just over 3h 2 mins screen time i managed yesterday.. Google need to sort out it out cause there's something not quiet right.

marshalex

Apr 25, 2010
Just thought I'd add in an initial impression. After coming off a full charge last night, listening to an hours music this morning over bluetooth, checking facebook and emails i'm down to 92% from 1h 30mins on battery. Big culprits so far are play music and media server. Will take a couple of screenshots at lunchtime and see how things are then

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bzzztm, bzzztm fizzzle.

Do I sound like a battery? Its the best impression I got for one.
    Hi there!:) I thought we needed one of these threads to get a clear image of how the phone performs IRL.
    We'll all heard rather varying reports from the reviews, some good other disastrous...:eek:

1. Please post your impressions of the battery here.
    2. Please be specific about how you've used it during the day.
    3. Screenshots of the battery settings are most welcome.
    4. Show image of screen-on time as well as the list of apps (thanks to Shadehh)
    5. Brightness, is it auto? custom? If custom, %? (thanks to Shadehh)
    5. 3g / WiFi on? If yes for how long? (thanks to Shadehh)
    7. Haptic feedback? (thanks to Shadehh)

TIP: best would be to simply download 'GSAM Battery Monitor' from the app store and make a screenshot and post the results (it's the most simple and fastest way ) - Shadehh

Thank you!
    Swan dive!
    Hi

Push notification *is* constant connection. The other possibility is polling in intervals.

Push notifications isn't the same as a constant connection and is often very power efficient, certainly when using Google Cloud Messaging which is on by default in Android phones.

In order to have push notifications the phone creates an open TCP connection to the server, then the phone deep sleeps normally. The Wi-Fi or Cell modem is responsible for holding the TCP connection open and raising an interrupt to wake the phone if the connection receives any packets. So during this wait, the phone is using no extra power and is in deep sleep. An open TCP connection usually times out after 10 to 15 minutes when it is no longer valid and can't be sent any data so the phone will wake, establish a fresh TCP connection then sleep again.

To send us an email, the open TCP connection is sent a few packets of data, this raises an interrupt, the phone is woken, checks the data it was sent which in this case says "New email arrived" then the phone does a normal PULL of email from the server. After the email is received a new TCP connection is left open and the phone sleeps again.

The issue with this kind of push notification is the TCP time-out value, which is network specific. It takes resources for a network to keep track of these long open connections so some networks will have a lower time-out value, which might be as little as 30 seconds or a minute so your phone is constantly chattering to the network in order to keep an open TCP connection, this will hit battery power compared to polling with a reasonable time delay. Typically mobile phone networks have lower time-outs by default as they typically see more dead connections and need to release resources used holding on to them.

However with an Android phone and any data connection, it always has a push notification connection set up with Google servers, which is why if logged in to our Google account on the phone we can visit the play store on a computer and remotely install applications. This same push messaging service is used for all Google applications including Gmail and so is using no extra battery if we choose to use it. This messaging service can be used by third parties as well, giving us push on other applications also with no extra battery hit.

The best thing if we want push but without any extra battery drain is use Gmail (which is why there is no polling option with the default Gmail application). Also most/all mobile networks will configure their networks with the maximum keep live time for open TCP connections to the Google messaging service as they know these connections will not be dead connections but in use for push and it saves unnecessary chatter on their networks.

Corporate or other Exchange accounts use the same TCP open connection mechanism for push notifications but will be setting up an extra open connection back to which ever server is hosting the service, but of course these will not be known to the mobile phone company and time-outs will not be optimised, in addition corporate firewalls and routers often are not optimised for these open TCP connections either. This means we can see a considerable hit in battery power when using Exchange accounts for push as the phone is waking every minute or so to maintain an open TCP connection which is being closed on a very quick time-out, in which case switching to polling would be better. It has been this issue with poorly configured networks within some companies giving push a bad name in the battery department.

Note that polling uses more power than renewing the open connection on a time for time basis. So polling every 15 minutes will use a lot more power than renewing the TCP connection every 15 minutes. This is because polling requires the phone to exchange more data as it has to log into the remote service using our credentials and do a pull to see if new data or not.

So in summary, using Google Gmail or other Google services with push uses no extra battery in Android phones. Using other third party services with push notifications (if they don't use Google Cloud Messaging) can be very variable in battery usage.

Regards

Phil
    You spent almost 5 days without touching the phone? I can't even stand one hour without picking this thing up :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2