[Q] Upgrade procedure from rooted 4.1.2

Search This thread

desirus

Oct 26, 2010
I am on a rooted stock ROM 4.1.2 (LDMF1) on an i747m.

Can someone point me to an upgrade procedure to KK?

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
I am on a rooted stock ROM 4.1.2 (LDMF1) on an i747m.

Can someone point me to an upgrade procedure to KK?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1725839 is full of ressources.

What exactly are you trying to do? Get the official update or flash a custom rom?

• If you want the official, remove root and install the OTA (you can use towelroot afterward to root).
  • If you want a custom rom, follow the FULL instructions in the rom's OP that you choose.

desirus

Oct 26, 2010
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1725839 is full of ressources.

What exactly are you trying to do? Get the official update or flash a custom rom?

• If you want the official, remove root and install the OTA (you can use towelroot afterward to root).
  • If you want a custom rom, follow the FULL instructions in the rom's OP that you choose.

Thank you
I want to the official ROM for KK, which I can find.

OK so from what you said the first thin I do is unroot? I will research that.
I was wondering if I can go direct from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2?
I would use ODIN on my PC?
Do I have to do any sort of backing up ( I have Titanium pro) before hand, restore procedures?

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
Thank you

Do I have to do any sort of backing up ( I have Titanium pro) before hand, restore procedures?

Tibu is my fav backup app, just make sure you don't restore system app/data. Just make a batch backup and restore once you've flashed KK.

Unroot can be done directly in SuperSU (app).

Yes you can go directly to KK (or any other version), just don't downgrade once you'll have the 4.3+ bootloader or you'll brick your device.

And yes, use Odin on your PC, mobile Odin doesn't flash bootloaders.

The entire process is fairly simple. Just gotta be patient :)

Jul 8, 2014
La Paz
galaxy S3 AT&T: from stock 4.1.2 to 4.4.2

I am new to these forms, please help me with my questions.

I have a smartphone SGS III AT&T. It is unlocked and working perfect with:
ROM: 4.1.2 Stock
Baseband: DMG2
Kernel: 3.0.31-1300972
Build Number: JZO54K.I747UCDMG2

I am not in USA, so my Smartphone is unlocked.

Initially I used the *#197328640# commands to unlock it

I want to apply enewman17 thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789917 to upgrade to 4.4.2

My questions are:

1. When the procedure is finished, the smartphone still unlocked?
2. If it became locked, is there a free procedure to release it again?

regards

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais
I am new to these forms, please help me with my questions.

I have a smartphone SGS III AT&T. It is unlocked and working perfect with:
ROM: 4.1.2 Stock
Baseband: DMG2
Kernel: 3.0.31-1300972
Build Number: JZO54K.I747UCDMG2

I am not in USA, so my Smartphone is unlocked.

Initially I used the *#197328640# commands to unlock it

I want to apply enewman17 thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789917 to upgrade to 4.4.2

My questions are:

1. When the procedure is finished, the smartphone still unlocked?
2. If it became locked, is there a free procedure to release it again?

regards

Unlock is "permanent". You shouldn't lose root but everything you do is at your own risk.

Jul 8, 2014
La Paz
AT&T I747 from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2 Perfect procedure

Unlock is "permanent". You shouldn't lose root but everything you do is at your own risk.

BWolf56...you are right!!!

Ran all procedure http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2789917.

My I747 AT&T is now in 4.4.2. No problems at all. Still Unlocked.

One point more:

When I was in 4.1.2 Stock, I was not able to use "USB Theter" because I am not with AT&T SIM Card. With this version I can USB Theter without restriction.

hannahse

Jul 14, 2014
unrooted 4.1.1 won't update dead android

My AT&T SG3 was rooted until yesterday with stock 4.1.1. I unrooted, re flashed stock image and stock recovery. The phone status says "Normal" now so I think I successfully unrooted. When I try to do the OTA after downloading, it goes to a screen which says installing then updating with an incremental percent counter. When it reaches about 29%, it just reboots and comes back with "Install Interrupted The software update could not be installed". When I do "adb reboot recovery" from a command window, I see a dead android with a red triangle and I assume that has something to do with it or is some kind of symptom. Is there anything I can do to get the latest stock image installed? Did I miss something in the unroot process?

SGH-I747 4.1.1 1747UCDLK3

Last edited:

n01un0

Feb 13, 2010
Corner Bar Stool
My AT&T SG3 was rooted until yesterday with stock 4.1.1. I unrooted, re flashed stock image and stock recovery. The phone status says "Normal" now so I think I successfully unrooted. When I try to do the OTA after downloading, it goes to a screen which says installing then updating with an incremental percent counter. When it reaches about 29%, it just reboots and comes back with "Install Interrupted The software update could not be installed". When I do "adb reboot recovery" from a command window, I see a dead android with a red triangle and I assume that has something to do with it or is some kind of symptom. Is there anything I can do to get the latest stock image installed? Did I miss something in the unroot process?

I'm in the exact same boat. I was rooted with stock rom and recovery previously. No matter what I've done, it always fails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

hannahse

Jul 14, 2014
Yellow triangle did not solve problem

I spent several hours on this again today. I thought I had discerned the fix when I found a post showing the custom download count on the download screen and references to the yellow triangle program to reset it. I rerooted the phone, put stock recovery back, zeroed out the counter with yellow triangle, put the stock image back with ODIN, factory reset, and ended up with an unrooted phone with zero count. The download screen now says:
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (in light Grey)

I thought that would do it but the OTA still fails and I still see the red triangle on the stock recovery page. The only thing I can think of now is that SuperSU is still on the phone. It is disabled but still has 12KB of data that I don't know how to clear. I used the stock image from the skipsoft Android Toolkit.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Jul 8, 2014
La Paz
get KK 4.4.2 in your AT&T SG3 without OTA

I did the same than you and also what n01un0 says but couldn't get OTA update to 4.3 or 4.4.2.

If you want the 4.4.2 in your S3, follow enewman17's http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789917 Thread.

It worked perfect for me from 4.1.2 stock to 4.4.2. The final result is the same that you get by OTA (if OTA works)

hannahse

Jul 14, 2014
unrooted 4.1.1 won't update dead android - solved

I solved my problem by a convoluted process that I could not recommend but will lay out as best I can in case anyone is that desperate. I had re-rooted and un-rooted a couple times since my last post and finally decided to try a different stock image. I found a link to one in an article
how-to-unroot-att-galaxy-s3-sgh-i747 (sorry - not allowed to post URL)
The link is to stockroms.net. Really slow download - it took a couple hours. After the download (and unzip),
I attached my unrooted phone via USB cable to my computer.
Installed it with ODIN and watched the phone reboot
It seem to get stuck on the Samsung splash screen.
I went into recovery mode and noticed that - at last - I did not have the red triangle and no dead android. I tried wiping the cache a couple times from the recovery screen but it still seemed to get stuck at the splash screen (not sure if I waited long enough).
I finally did the factory reset from the recovery and it finally came back to life and went through the whole initialization thing. I confirmed a couple times that the red triangle was gone and noted that I had gone from Android version 4.1.1 to 4.04. Maybe that was the key or maybe I had a bad stock version of 4.1.1. IDK. But I started going through a series of updates. I am currently at version 4.3 and downloading what I hope will be the last update.

Started with 4.1.1 and used outdated stock image to go back to
4.04 - small update but version still
4.04 - cleared data from AT&T Update App to get around the wait 24 hours - got the update installed to version
4.1.2 - checked for update and got upgraded to
4.3 - check for update wanted me to wait 24 hours and I could not see how to clear the data - so changed the phone's date to next day. Automatically started downloading a new update - I'm hoping its the last

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you

Tibu is my fav backup app, just make sure you don't restore system app/data. Just make a batch backup and restore once you've flashed KK.

Unroot can be done directly in SuperSU (app).

Yes you can go directly to KK (or any other version), just don't downgrade once you'll have the 4.3+ bootloader or you'll brick your device.

And yes, use Odin on your PC, mobile Odin doesn't flash bootloaders.

The entire process is fairly simple. Just gotta be patient :)