[i9000m] Bell Users: Submit a complaint with the CCTS!! PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!

Search This thread
G

GuestK00336

Since Samsung pulled the update off Kies I tried the update to see....I got the "no firmware upgrade available".
As the release of the update for Sasktel and Virgin (which is owned by Bell) I tried the firmware upgrade process again, and this time it offers a JL2 upgrade.
There is talk in other XDA fora that this update may be the update to restore your phone from the dead.
I haven't done the upgrade to JL2 nor did I do the original Bell upgrade to froyo so I'm not sure the effects.
Just keep an eye out!

GingerEffect

Oct 26, 2010
I thought that Froyo resolved the band seeking comatose problem. Perhaps you are having some other issue?

Then again perhaps I am wrong.

This fixed the band seeking comatose problem on my vibrant on eclair, it was jumping between the 1900mhz and 850mhz band.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8612667&postcount=386

Took me forever to figure that one out, no help or acknowledgement of the problem from Bell or Samsung. Companies need to stand behind their products :(.

pr0cs

Jun 15, 2010
Calgary
An update to my situation.

Bell management called me yesterday and apologized. They gave me the option of getting a brand new SGS (even though my SGS is in repairs now) or getting a different device.
I highly recommend people call and escalate your complaint if you've been out of service due to repairs for longer than a week or two.
The person I talked to on the phone was very nice, very understanding and was helpful in making sure I was happy. They're sending me a new SGS and when my old SGS is sent back to repair I'm sending it back (on their dime) to Bell.

I didn't expect Bell to help me out here but I was thrilled when they called me and make sure I was happy. Made Xmas a lot less frustrating, even if I'm out a phone until the new one arrives.

I'm a little worried that the new one they send me will die. But I expressed this concern with them and they said they would do their best to help me again if the situation occurs.

I contemplated getting a DesireZ instead but I like the SGS. All the talk about getting a port of the Nexus S gingerbread to the SGS made me think it is still a better choice than the DZ.

Alfahmad

Nov 21, 2009
pr0cs
Congratulation
My phone went dead today, and i called samsung, they open a ticket and i will mail the phone to them soon

However, do you thing if i visit any bell store today they will replace it. I get thephone from kjj i have no invoice

Any suggestion?

irietek

Dec 15, 2010
An update to my situation.

Bell management called me yesterday and apologized. They gave me the option of getting a brand new SGS (even though my SGS is in repairs now) or getting a different device.
I highly recommend people call and escalate your complaint if you've been out of service due to repairs for longer than a week or two.
The person I talked to on the phone was very nice, very understanding and was helpful in making sure I was happy. They're sending me a new SGS and when my old SGS is sent back to repair I'm sending it back (on their dime) to Bell.

I didn't expect Bell to help me out here but I was thrilled when they called me and make sure I was happy. Made Xmas a lot less frustrating, even if I'm out a phone until the new one arrives.

I'm a little worried that the new one they send me will die. But I expressed this concern with them and they said they would do their best to help me again if the situation occurs.

I contemplated getting a DesireZ instead but I like the SGS. All the talk about getting a port of the Nexus S gingerbread to the SGS made me think it is still a better choice than the DZ.

Good Stuff congrats!!
I've been out of service for a week. Bell sent me a loaner which is a Desire Z.
The feel of it and it has a nicer touch of quality than the SGS.
I really dislike the QEWRTY physical keyboard. Buttons are mushy and I'm afraid the keyboard might break off!

I'm glad I got a nice new loaner, however I'm still upset at Bell's service on how it took me so long just to get this loaner. Also, talking to client care seems like an education session where you have to educate them on what's going on. It's a waste of time and we should not have to be doing this.

vancouver_hawk

May 31, 2010
sd card failed after installing froyo (jk4) using Kies. Also my camera was replaced. Sent for repair took a week to come back was charged $25 loaner fee plus $35 (refunded) in case the phone was physically damaged.

pr0cs

Jun 15, 2010
Calgary
pr0cs
Congratulation
My phone went dead today, and i called samsung, they open a ticket and i will mail the phone to them soon

However, do you thing if i visit any bell store today they will replace it. I get thephone from kjj i have no invoice

Any suggestion?

You should call Samsung directly and get them to fix the device. Bell will only accept the device for repairs if you have an invoice from them. Samsung is accepting all devices I believe.

BakaSenpai

Jul 15, 2009
Hey all,

So i have a question, cause i'm actually not with bell, i'm with fido and i have the sgs.

I bought my phone from a place in toronto called pacific mall, and a week ago, i got my sgs back from repair, which i had to wait for about 5 weeks to get back. when i got back my sgs i actually flashed darky's 5.9 rom and then 6.0 rom, and it was working great...up until last night. same reason, sd card failure.

does anyone know if there's a way for me to file a complaint? i read somewhere in this forum that samsung is taking back phones for repair now? correct me if i'm wrong.

pizzachips

Jun 25, 2008
GTA - Ontario
You should call Samsung directly and get them to fix the device. Bell will only accept the device for repairs if you have an invoice from them. Samsung is accepting all devices I believe.

Is this true?
I bought the phone from bestbuy mobile and I tried to contact Samsung to get it fixed when the internal SD died the first time but they made me go to Bell.

Luckily bell was ok with repairing it...although my galaxy S has now been repaired 3 times....replaced motherboard and internal sd...i've actually lost over a month of use during these ridiculous reparis....

So far it seems ok...since they finally replaced the internal sd apparently...
here's praying that it won't die on me again...but i really wish i could get a new unit instead...seems better than possibly sending my unit in for a 4th time...

gtg2

Aug 12, 2010
Just making a note that if we get the opportunity to get any real customer service, we should be requesting that samsung extend their 12 standard warranty to 24 months given this unique situation.

Alfahmad

Nov 21, 2009
Is this true?
I bought the phone from bestbuy mobile and I tried to contact Samsung to get it fixed when the internal SD died the first time but they made me go to Bell.

Luckily bell was ok with repairing it...although my galaxy S has now been repaired 3 times....replaced motherboard and internal sd...i've actually lost over a month of use during these ridiculous reparis....

So far it seems ok...since they finally replaced the internal sd apparently...
here's praying that it won't die on me again...but i really wish i could get a new unit instead...seems better than possibly sending my unit in for a 4th time...

Try to call Samsung asked them you don't want to deal or work with Bell and you prefer to send the phone to them directly, at least this what I did and in 5 min I received the shipping label, No questions asked, no invoice just the phone ...

zshakespeare

Sep 13, 2010
Something tells me we're never going to get a real explanation, and the phone will just continue to fail. Hopefully at their pre 2.2 rates. What a bunch of garbage. I hadn't planned on renewing my contract with Bell anyways, but now I'm definitely not. I had really high hopes for Samsung but now I'm going to make sure they never see any money from me again. Phones, TV's whatever...

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
------------------------------UPDATE # 3------------------------------

Reply back from Patricia Barbe - Customer Relations Associate

Dear Mr. Wiens,

This is to acknowledge receipt of the email you sent to Mr. Jason
Laszlo, Manager Bell Media Relations, concerning the Samsung Galaxy S
Vibrant.

Let me first apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have
caused you.

As requested in your email, I am sending you the following information :

1. What is the problem with the Bell Galaxy S Vibrant, is it software or
hardware.

The issue had to do with Samsung's software for the Vibrant, which they
have now replaced with a new version - Android 2.2 JL2. This version
replaces all other software.

2. Does Samsung have a fix for this issue, if not what is the timeline.

If the device is inoperable, customers will receive a replacement phone.
If the phone is still operable, customers can upgrade to the new
software released by Samsung, Android 2.2 JL2. This newest software
replaces all other software for this device.

3. What is Bell Mobility doing to rectify this issue?

Bell is working with Samsung to provide the best solutions possible for
our clients with each case reviewed on an individual basis.

4. Is there going to any compensation for people who have had their
phone repaired multiple times and have been without a phone for months?

A case by case analysis will be made to better determine the appropriate
action to be taken.

Mr. Wiens, I hope this information provides clarity and is to your
satisfaction. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further
assistance.

Sincerely,

Patricia Barbe
Adjointe Relations Clients / Customer Relations Associate

My response:

Hi Patricia

Thank you for answering my questions, I have a few more that I would like to ask.

1. Why is this issue only happening with the Bell I9000M model of the Galaxy S. Is there something different about the software and hardware?
2. Could you please provide a in depth technical explanation of what exactly is happening with the corruption of the SD Card.
3. Have you had any of the same type of failures (SD Card Corruptions) on other firmware? Ie. JL2 or the Android 2.1 firmware's.

I, and all Bell i9000M users, would appreciate a quick and appropriate response to the questions above. If you are unable to answer these question could you please put me in contact with your supervisor.

Thanks,
Brad Wiens

very nicely handled, but those answers sounds so "by the book" the answers did not offer any insight at all to what we already know.

gtg2

Aug 12, 2010
I know, which is why i emailed back asking for more technical answers.

Great work getting a reply from them!

I have zero confidence that any technical explanation will be provided. I think our best bet is to Bell/Samsung to agree to lessen the impact of this issue to the best of their ability depending on what each customer prefers. For example, if your phone goes bust:

1) you want to keep the SGS so bell/samsung provides a replacement on site at no cost.

2) you've lost all faith in samsung because you've had 4 replacements, so Bell to provide an equivalent replacement at no cost.

3) you're automatically provided credit for the amount of time you're offline due to the damaged phone. That boilerplate reply about analyzing each instance for reimbursement is a pain in the nuts and won't be known by the majority of their SGS customers.

It bugs me that when companies mess up (and I believe this is an honest error), they still do everything they can to limit their liability instead of taking responsibility and doing right by their customers. Well, I can sorta understand Bell due to their general evilness...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ------Update! January 1st 2011-------

Since Bell has started replacing the Vibrants with newer units instead of fixing them, this leads to conclude that it is actually a hardware issue. I will be pushing as hard as i can for the below resolution to the problem.

1. Every single Vibrant that is not the 10.12 will be replaced with the current "fixed" version

2. Anyone who sent their phone in for repair will get the $100 credit to their account.

3. Extend the warranty of the devices to 3 years

Please help me out by getting everyone you know who has a Bell Vibrant to file a proper complaint to the CCTS!

Thanks!
    arr0ww
    -----------------------------------------

Original Post!

Hi All

First off, for those who do not know about the issues with the Bell Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant, here is the short version.

Basically the internal SD card is failing. Something is causing it to become corrupt, this will not allow the phone to boot into the Android OS at all. Bell's fix is to either "flash" the card with their tools OR to replace the entire mainboard. Neither fix is permanent as users who have had both done, have had their phone fail again. Samsung blames it on their software (Froyo 2.2 update) We know this is not entirely true as people have reported their phones dying this way before doing the 2.2 update. Both Samsung and Bell are doing nothing to help out. People are waiting 4-6 weeks to get their phones back only to have them die again in the next few days.

Here is a huge post about this issue:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868569

I have been in contact with Chris Olsen from "Olsen On Your Side" from CTV about our issue with the i9000m sd card failures.

He has suggested that the best way to go about sending proper complaints is to go through the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications (CCTS). The Commissioner has the pull to start pushing these big companies around. The Commissioner already brought a case against Bell for the National Do Not Call List that Bell did not abide by.

Chris Olsen will contact the CCTS in the new year to see how many complaints they have received.

Here is the link for a guide on how to file a complaint with the CCTS:
    http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/complaints/guide

Here is the link for submitting complaints to the CCTS:
    https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/complaints/complaint-form

I encourage everyone who has an issue to please fill this out. We need the big guns here to help us fix this issue. In the very least this will get Bell and Samsung to admit that there is a issue with the hardware.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be as professional as possible with this. We do not need to make ourselves look like a bunch of idiots by submitting “ B3LL SucKzx TEH NUTTz0rs.” Fill out every piece of information that you know and do it right the first time.

Here are some main points to mention:

1. The high failure rate of the phones
    2. The extreme wait times on repairs 4-6 weeks
    3. The $25+ fee for a basic non-Smartphone loaner
    4. The fact that we cannot suspend our services when our phone is out for repair
    5. Our “repaired” phones are dieing again, some multiple times
    6. Bell & Samsung are not informing their customers of anything.

Terms of Resolution:

1. We want our phones fixed 100% for good.
    2. Reimbursed for the fee of getting a loaner
    3. Reimbursed for the service we had to pay for that we couldn't use during the repair time. (This is assuming you did not use your data at all)
    4. A public apology to all Bell users for not standing up for them and holding Samsung responsible.

Possible other Terms:

1. Full product recall, replacing every phone out there with a new one that no longer has the issue
    2. Extended warranty

Please link this in every forum you know, we need to get as many Bell i9000m users on board with this. Call all your friends, spam your facebook, and spam Samsung Canada’s Facebook as well.
    I will be emailing every tech/mobile site that I know of and informing them of this post and asking for their help, Engadget, Mobile Syrup, Gizmobo…etc.

If you have any questions please feel free to post, but can we please keep this thread clean. I will keep updating this post with whatever else arises from this!

If you have contacted any other media or consumer sites please let me know so we can co-ordinate and get one good solid story instead of a bunch of conflicting ones.

Thanks,
    arr0ww

----------------------UPDATE---------------------

I received an email back from the Associate Director of Media Relations @ Bell, Marie-Eve Francoeur

Here is my email to her:---------------------

Dear Marie-Eve Francouer,

I am the originator of the thread below:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=883820

I have been in contact with local media, the CCTS and other Consumerist contacts. Can you please get back to me with some information on the following:

1. What is the problem with the Bell Galaxy S Vibrant, is it software or hardware.
    4. Is there going to any compensation for people who have had their phone repaired multiple times and have been without a phone for months?

Myself and other Bell Vibrant users are awaiting your reply.

Thank you for your time,

Here is her reply:-------------

Good afternoon Mr. arr0ww,,

Thank you for reaching out to me and taking the time to send me this email. I shared your email to our support team who will look into this situation and get back to you.

Best regards,

Marie-Eve Francoeur
    Chef divisionnaire adjoint, Relations avec les médias | Associate Director, Media relations

------------------------------UPDATE # 2------------------------------

I emailed Marie-Eve back as i was not satisfied with her answer and here is her response.
    I will update if/when i hear more.

Response from Marie-Eve Francoeur - Associate Director, Media relations:------

Hi Mr. arr0ww,

Our team is looking in into this with Samsung and a team member will be in touch with you soon to discuss this.
    Many thanks for having taken the time to raise this.

Best wishes for the Holiday season,

Marie-Eve

------------------------------UPDATE # 3------------------------------

Reply back from Patricia Barbe - Customer Relations Associate

Dear Mr. arr0ww,

This is to acknowledge receipt of the email you sent to Mr. Jason
    Laszlo, Manager Bell Media Relations, concerning the Samsung Galaxy S
    Vibrant.

Let me first apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have
    caused you.

As requested in your email, I am sending you the following information :

1. What is the problem with the Bell Galaxy S Vibrant, is it software or
    hardware.

The issue had to do with Samsung's software for the Vibrant, which they
    have now replaced with a new version - Android 2.2 JL2. This version
    replaces all other software.

If the device is inoperable, customers will receive a replacement phone.
    If the phone is still operable, customers can upgrade to the new
    software released by Samsung, Android 2.2 JL2. This newest software
    replaces all other software for this device.

Bell is working with Samsung to provide the best solutions possible for
    our clients with each case reviewed on an individual basis.

4. Is there going to any compensation for people who have had their
    phone repaired multiple times and have been without a phone for months?

A case by case analysis will be made to better determine the appropriate
    action to be taken.

Mr. arr0ww, I hope this information provides clarity and is to your
    satisfaction. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further
    assistance.

Sincerely,

Patricia Barbe
    Adjointe Relations Clients / Customer Relations Associate

My response:

Hi Patricia

Thank you for answering my questions, I have a few more that I would like to ask.

1. Why is this issue only happening with the Bell I9000M model of the Galaxy S. Is there something different about the software and hardware?
    2. Could you please provide a in depth technical explanation of what exactly is happening with the corruption of the SD Card.
    3. Have you had any of the same type of failures (SD Card Corruptions) on other firmware? Ie. JL2 or the Android 2.1 firmware's.

I, and all Bell i9000M users, would appreciate a quick and appropriate response to the questions above. If you are unable to answer these question could you please put me in contact with your supervisor.

Thanks,
    arr0ww

-------------UPDATE #4-----------

Just got a call from the Bell Executive Office!

I finally managed to get an email back about more questions i had from Patricia...her answer...talk to Samsung. WTF. I sent a "nice" email asking how it is possible that Bell cannot answer questions about a product they are selling. Her response: Get someone to call me.

here is the short version of a short conversation that just happened with John Simon from the Bell Executive Office:

Hi Mr arr0ww

Bell sells a service, we do not support the hardware we sell.
    "Insert crap about his personal blackberry issues here and how he had to deal with RIM"
    Please talk to samsung @ 1-800-751-4073. Thanks

THE END

HHHMMM thanks for the WRONG number John, its 4078..jeez

I have John's personal number and i will most likely be calling him back soon.

-------------UPDATE #5-----------

It seems the CCTS is answering peoples complaints and forcing Bell's hand. This is a big step for us, as people are getting their phones replaced or given the option to switch phones, plus a $100 credit to their accounts.

I'm semi-satisfied with the result of my work, but am severely disappointing in Bell as a company as they have not done ANYTHING to help the users. We've had to force our way into getting replacements, and this seems like the wrong way to run a business.

Please post in this thread if you have been contacted by the CCTS and what took place.

I will keep doing what i can,
    arr0ww

-------------UPDATE #6----------- Feb 03/2011

I received a call from a guy at the CCTS a few minutes ago. They know of the issue, and they do know of this thread. The guy said he didn't have the time to read through the whole thing but he got the jist of it.

Unfortunately the CCTS cannot send a complaint for a "group" of people, only individual complaints, which sucks, but to me is understandable. He said "The more complaints Bell receives the more likely they are to do something about this." He sympathized with me about our problem and has heard of similar instances of stuff like this happening.

Again, i encourage EVERYONE to submit a complaint if they have had to send their SGS i9000M in for repair. We need Bell to do something more than just replacing the units. We NEED an extended warranty on these devices. 3 years, not this 1 year crap.
    Link to this thread posted on Sasktel's facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/SaskTel

AWESOME!! thank you!

Someone has also posted it on the Samsung Mobile Canada facebook too.
    Keep spreading it around guys!
    Thanks arr0ww for being on top of this case, keep up the good work
    icon14.gif
    possibly a return for refund, or a phone exchange for another model, say HTC Desire Z ?

even when it past the 30 days / 60 days policy

specially people that pay the phone in full (purchased it out right, no contracts)

AllGamer,
    My 4th phone died last night, well almost died. Force Closes out the yingyang.
    After a factory reset it is usable but for how long? i don't know.
    I emailed my store's manager last night at 12:30AM and asked in the nicest way to have him do whatever he has to do to get em away from this SGS and into a Desire Z. I received a nice email this morning telling me that he is going to do just that.
    This evening I am jumping ship, well for one of my phones. I still have another SGS that I'll be getting rid of when it gets back from repairs.

I'll be emailing the OP's suggestion today!
    UPDATE ON PAGE 1

Got a reply back from the Associate Director of Media Relations

Good job......