[Kernel] - 3-23-11 - v.5b - Impressive Sounding Name Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Jay120171

Oct 20, 2010
Just a FYI: I've been using build #7 for a few days now and have had no "charge death" issues. I am on Borg's ver 7.1.1 now but it worked fine on ver 7 too. I also have no UV'd at all and am using the default config. I know we are only supposed to post issues but I see you are questioning build #7's stability again.

glitterballs

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 11, 2010
Bed-Stuy
Used new SGS kernel flasher yesterday (thx for the tip) to put on reoriented-balls-1-3-11-ocuv-bln23 (build #47) onto my Doc 7.1.1 ROM and left OC to 1200 @cfq and entered my UV settings as usual. It was left on the charger overnight and I had no sleep death. Seems to me OK thus far. Speedy as all heck. If stats are your thing (I just want stable, good battery and no lag) this puppy got 17.2 linpack and 1804 quad and 52.2 Nema. I know those are useless #'s, but at least it's a way to compare diff ROM/kernel combos for some of us.

Man, I have this flashing addiction thing.... need to try the newest hardcore kernel soon too.... and when is Mikey gonna finish the new JPY Ass. ROM ? :D

Probably overclocked though right?

bamonkey

Jan 21, 2010
OK
No problem then. With some captivates being prone to charging death on any kernel _ive had to return one_ its just a really fickle issue. Godspeed as always then and goodluck looking back at what might be going on

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

domin8

Jun 28, 2010
San Diego (619)
No problem then. With some captivates being prone to charging death on any kernel _ive had to return one_ its just a really fickle issue. Godspeed as always then and goodluck looking back at what might be going on

Yeah I've never had a issue with my cappy no matter the kernal

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

MikeyMike01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
Been using #7 and #22 back and forth for at least a week now and it hasn't shutdown or anything weird once.

noop

mgfjd

Sep 11, 2008
Fayetteville, Arkansas
glitterballs,

Sorry Glitterballs.. the problem I have is the sleep of death... dont know what to do..I called ATT and they are sending me a new battery, dont know if thats gonna help..

I have been using your original kernel for the last four days...do I need a special kernel with higher voltage settings maybe? I can not get the charge to get to 100% either.. I have done the battery configuration and recalibration too..

I do not undervolt at all..
Edit: I decided to undervolt with your recommended settings and noop scheduler quadrant scores went from 1550 to 1780.. No sleep death yet..maybe my phone likes undervolt

Thanks

mengbo

Nov 30, 2010
Mountain View, CA
This kernel is soooo fast. Just one request:
can you remove the stupid samsung galaxy s i9000 screen and change to something else? put your own logo onto it !
i saw Phoenix now has a customized screen (from dg), thanks.

zielins1

Aug 12, 2010
Does this kernel include Voodoo color? I must say that so far this is one of my favorite kernels I've used, but I've noticed pretty significant display improvements using any kernel with Supercurio's color fix. If not, any chance of incorporating it, or is there a chance that would mess with stability?

glitterballs

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 11, 2010
Bed-Stuy
glitterballs,

Sorry Glitterballs.. the problem I have is the sleep of death... dont know what to do..I called ATT and they are sending me a new battery, dont know if thats gonna help..

I have been using your original kernel for the last four days...do I need a special kernel with higher voltage settings maybe? I can not get the charge to get to 100% either.. I have done the battery configuration and recalibration too..

I do not undervolt at all..
Edit: I decided to undervolt with your recommended settings and noop scheduler quadrant scores went from 1550 to 1780.. No sleep death yet..maybe my phone likes undervolt

Thanks

I don't know what you mean by sleep of death. The issue I had fixed in the 12/23 kernels is one where the phone shuts off after fully charged and left connected to power. What you're describing sounds like what happens when you use a 'screen off' setCPU profile. And you know what, if you're having issues with the kernel, I think the OP says something about the 12-23 ones being stable. You should see kernel #7 under 'about phone'. If you're a different one, the 12-23 builds are more stable, and if your phone can't handle that one, then you should run a stock kernel because if taking your phone a little out of spec causes problems, taking it even more out of spec wouldn't make much sense. If you're worried about the battery voltage, download battery monitor widget and tell me what your max. voltage is when charging. I usually charge by USB and I have no problem getting to 100%. And also, you know, realize that the battery monitor isn't perfect.

This kernel is soooo fast. Just one request:
can you remove the stupid samsung galaxy s i9000 screen and change to something else? put your own logo onto it !
i saw Phoenix now has a customized screen (from dg), thanks.

Old things need to get fixed (again) first.

Does this kernel include Voodoo color? I must say that so far this is one of my favorite kernels I've used, but I've noticed pretty significant display improvements using any kernel with Supercurio's color fix. If not, any chance of incorporating it, or is there a chance that would mess with stability?

It doesn't and I don't think those improvements make every screen look better. I had a chance to look at my phone and a stock phone side by side and I didn't like the way my screen looked. Also Samung changed some of the code for the drivers which kinda broke supercurio's color fix.

mgfjd

Sep 11, 2008
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Sleep death is went your phone go to sleep and shut off with no previous warning..it usually happens when undervolt in low frequencies.. Iam using 12_23 kernel and the phone is stable it never crashes

zielins1

Aug 12, 2010
It doesn't and I don't think those improvements make every screen look better. I had a chance to look at my phone and a stock phone side by side and I didn't like the way my screen looked.

Perhaps it's something from Doc's rom. Just seems to be a red-ish tint to my whites a lot of the time.

Also Samung changed some of the code for the drivers which kinda broke supercurio's color fix.

Figures Samsung would mess with what all you real devs are doing here. :D Regardless, great kernel glitterballs.

mgfjd

Sep 11, 2008
Fayetteville, Arkansas
My sleep death is with every kernel I run... sorry I wasn't clear... This kernel is the fastest and most stable a run at 1.2 ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Most of what is below is still accurate, but see this post for links to the kernel download and important infoshttp://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12397646&postcount=580

1-18-11
    v.4 - GB’s Impressive Sounding Name Kernel
    * As always, many, many thanks to xcaliburinhand.
    * Consolidating Steam and Voodoo/CWM kernels into one thread. The two kernels are the same except for recovery, and jfs support in the Steam kernel.
    * Started using a proper changelog
    * Implemented Impressive Sounding Name Technology AND Dynamic Naming Technology patches; next update to include Dramatic Use of Imagery, with possible Reference to Mythical Creatures patch.
    * Cherry-picked some recent commits not included in JPX source. (Will post source this evening, I hadn’t planned on releasing this just yet, but it seems as though it’s already being packaged into a ROM so might as well, right?)
    * CONFIG_ARM_THUMBEE=y, enables ThumbEE processor mode, should give some minor JIT performance improvement.
    * config_hz=100. With this value, kernel hz = user hz which eliminates HZ <--> USER_HZ conversions. It should also slightly increase battery life without affecting performance.
    * Increased default overclock to 1280 MHz. Your may want to revise your undervolt settings, 1280MHz runs at the same voltage as 1200MHz did/does, so you **may** not be able to undervolt as much at 1280. (Yes, I previously said I wouldn’t go past 1200MHz, but, I feel ok going to 1280 since the voltage hasn’t changed and it’s still well below the max vdd_arm.) Use voltage control or setCPU to limit clock speed if you don’t want to use this. Delete your Voltage Control boot settings before booting this kernel. I’m currently using Voltage Control 3.0a.
    * Added Voodoo Sound. I hadn’t really planned on it but there were a lot of requests for it.
    * Removed i9000 splash screen and replaced with an old familiar one.
    * Want lower screen brightness? I know Hardcore did tinkering with the kernel source to do this, but I really like Screen Filter, it even has a Tasker plugin.
    * From previous versions: Backlightnotification 2.3, Voodoo color/video fixes re-enabled against my better judgment and even though single-blind testers couldn't tell me which kernels had it and which did not. .

Downloads of v.4 - The file you want is something like rGB-v.4-011811-XXXXX.zip/tar
    By clicking any of these links, you agree to flash delete your Dalvik cache and remove any oc/uv boot settings you have before booting. v.4 ClockworkMod zip at the bottom of this post, tar files of Voodoo5/CWM and Steam below for those of you who like to use Odin.
    tar of v.4 with Voodoo5 & CWM recovery

tar of v.4 with Steam recovery

Credits
    Xcaliburinhand, supercurio, raspdeep, SztupY, sorry if I forgot anyone else.

Stuff I wrote a while ago and may or may not be accurate any more.
    1-6-11
    This seems to be stable again. Started over from scratch and added in BLN 2.3. Everyone who was affected by charging problems with the previous kernels has not had a shutdown over the last two days of testing. Hopefully we're good again.

1-4-11
    Closed testing on newer kernels until I'm fairly confident the issue is resolved again. I had still been getting intermittent reports of charger instability from the reoriented-balls-1-3-11-ocuv-bln23.zip (#47) kernel. Anyone affected by this please switch back to the 'f' builds below, which is the last known rock solid (I think) version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This kernel is fast, and this kernel is stable. It's overclocked by default to 1.2GHz, but if you don't want to overclock at all, just install either setCPU or download xan's app which I have attached to this post and set the max clock speed to 1.0GHz. This kernel supports init.d scripts, so you have save your settings and have them load at boot.

1100-1200+ Quadrant score on RFS at 1GHz. 1500-1700+ on /data, /dbdata, and /cache on ext4. ~14.1 Linpack at 1GHz. Compare that to any other kernel available here at the same speed and I think you'll see this one comes out on top. I'm not doing this for donations, I just want to my experience with the phone as good as possible. Since this is a Voodoo 5 kernel, you can also make /system ext4 as well for an even smoother experience. This kernel has great battery life and is very stable as well. And when I say stable, I mean, you can use the phone however you want to, you don't have to do any workarounds to keep it from freezing. (edit - as long as you're using one of the build f kernels it seems...) Although, as always, if you aren't 100% satisfied with any of my products, I will give you a full refund.

What this kernel is -
    Kernel for 2.2.1 ROMs, (may work on 2.2, but I haven't personally tested it), built from JPX source, with Supercurio's Voodoo 5, overclocked by default to 1.2GHz with raspdeep's code, and Neldar's backlight notification enabled, and re-oriented with xcaliburinhand's code. The undervolting code has been fixed to keep your phone from dying while charging. I'll not be supporting anything beyond 1.2GHz. I hardly use 1.2GHz myself, and from what I've read, many users (but obviously not all) have stability issues with anything much beyond that. This post from one of the senior Android engineers at Google also struck a nerve with me, and is also part of the reason I'll not support anything past 1.2GHz. Samsung actually wrote most of the code for 1.2GHz into the kernel source but had it commented out, so I don't have a problem providing software that will allow users to push it to that level.

Again, for voltage control, use xan's app. I've attached an older version of the app as I'm not sure if the newer one is backwards compatible with the 'older' methods of power management.

Also, standard disclaimers about how if this blows up your phone or tells your girlfriend she's getting fat, it's not my fault. I've had this kernel on my phone for a couple days, so none of that should happen.

How to install - Either flash in ClockworkMod, or use Neldar's really awesome kernel flashing app.

gb-reorient-12-23-build-f.zip is a zip tarred zImage. Unzip, then flash the tar with Odin, or extract the zImage and flash it with Heimdall or Neldar's kernel flashing app.

gb-reorient-fixed-ocuv-f-cwm.zip is a ClockworkMod flashable kernel.

Some thoughts on undervolting
    The whole point of undervolting is to safely do the same amount of work with your CPU while using less energy (ie more battery life). Your phone is idle most of the time, so you can the most from undervolting lower frequencies more. Undervolting is safe WHEN you find the settings that work for your phone. Generally, -75mV seems to be stable for everyone. If you want to push it further, go ahead, but realize that if you push it too far, you phone will freeze, and you'll have to pull the battery. Relatively harmless, but, be aware it can happen. Personally, my phone is perfectly stable at the following settings (from 100MHz to 1000MHz) -125mV, -100mV, -100mV, -100mV, -75mV. These settings may not work for your phone. You might find that you can get by with undervolting a little more, but your system will freeze randomly, so if that happens, don't undervolt as aggresively. So, for example, I found that I can usually get by with -150, -125, -125, -125, -100, but every once in a while the phone will freeze up. And since I want a stable system, I've backed down from that. I can't tell you what to do though, but keep in mind that undervolting too much may lead to system instability.

- If you still want to try to find a oc/uv kernel which works for you, don't undervolt at all and tell me if it still happens with kernel #7 (12-23 build from my other thread). As far as I know, no one has had an issue with charger instability on that kernel. If it does still happen, I need to know the kernel version # and for good measure, the production code under your battery (can someone tell me what the name for this is again, I don't feel like shutting off my phone to check), it will be a number like 08.10, 10.10, etc.

- If even with the 12/23 build f kernels and not undervolting at all, you're still get shutdowns when charging, you probably want to get a different kernel. If you insist upon using that one anyway, try charging via USB instead of the wall outlet, it seemed to happen less frequently on older kernels, and I haven't had a charge death in weeks now, so, I'm good at least.

- See if your phone is one of the ones being recalled. If your phone is under recall and these don't work for you, I'm not sure what else I can do.

- These fixes work for me and a lot other people who had the same problem with other oc/uv kernels. Like I said, we're running these out of spec, so a few unlucky souls might not have phones that can handle this. Or maybe some of these kernels have been sprinkled with pixie dust and others haven't. If you find a different kernel that works for you by all means use it. It's all about choice people.
    Flash with SGS Kernel flasher, Heimdall (zImage) or Odin (tarred zImage).

HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

Yeah, it's been a while, but let's get down to business, I was going to hold off on this for a while until I get a few other things done (A1026 driver has been mostly ported to i9000 kernel, couple small things to iron out, and some other stuff), but due to reasons that will become apparent, I thought I should get this out there now...

Presenting
    - a full 32bit GPU accelerated framebuffer (slightly more technical version - global fb GPU acceleration with u32 classifiers, slightly less technical version - everything is GPU accelerated instead of just the stock browser)
    - proof of concept for animated splash screen

A couple notes: The reason I wanted to get this out now for people to check out is that it's not compatible with "fugu mod", so if you're using a ROM with "fugu mod", flash the unfugu-mod.zip attached. Second, don't be alarmed by the splash screen. Third, I build this a couple weeks ago, so some of the newer Voodoo sound patches aren't in it, and I didn't add in headphone calling yet. Fourth, I'm on vacation right now (kind of, just visiting family) so I don't have my sources available. Framebuffer patch will be available by Tuesday at the latest for all the developers, kang-developers, and kang-developers who put useless patches in their kernels.

Things have calmed down a bit in my life, so you might be seeing me a bit more often, although, I still think there is so much more important **** in life that every new phone mod....just sayin.

I'm using the (gb-reorient-fixed-ocuv-f-cwm.zip) version with continuum 3.1.1 and JK4 modem and I'm loving it so far.

And just wanted to thank glitterballs for the highest quadrant score I ever received...

This is the last comment I expect to see in this thread about useless benchmarks. Thanks.
    Noob here, still learning, kinda quickly...what does that mean?

It means the permissions for voltage control to save settings for boot is not set to read/write ... so when you save the settings its not writing them..easiest way is to grab root explorer and set the folder /system/etc/init.d/ to r/w ..(that's where VC saves the settings) the file is S_volt_scheduler (you can long press the file and make sure all the boxes are checked)

Or you can use adb shell...or grab a terminal emulator from the market and...

#su
    #chmod 777 /system/etc/init.d

Sent from my Captivate
    Thanks. Going to try it now.